Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 450946 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #3360 on: December 14, 2015, 01:35:02 PM »
Absolutely, they're everywhere. You'd be hard pressed to walk into a store and not find SOMETHING Star Wars related. It's pretty impressive, actually. I mean, I couldn't give a shit less, but impressive nonetheless. There is publicity...and then there is Star Wars.

I've decided to wait to go see the movie. I went to the mall yesterday and just reaffirmed that I fucking abhor crowds and am mostly still a misanthrope. I just can't stand most people and that is magnified ten fold when in close proximity and mashed together like sardines. I'd much rather be watching the movie with plenty of open seats around me. Granted, I doubt there is going to be any duration that this movie is out that it'll just be empty in the theater but at least I'll have a little space.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3361 on: December 14, 2015, 01:59:03 PM »
I better stay off this particular thread for two weeks till I've seen Vii.   :\

This kind of raises a good question. Is there going to be a separate thread to discuss the new movie when it comes out? Or, is it open season in this thread? I'm excited to see the new movie, but I don't anticipate being able to see it for the first couple of weeks due to my work schedule. I'm wondering if I should avoid this part of the forum starting next week.

I think it would be best if we had a thread specifically for The Force Awakens so that the people who see it don't need to worry about posting spoilers, and the people who haven't seen it yet don't have to worry about seeing spoilers.
So perhaps the first person to see it who wants to post about it should create a new thread.

Agreed 100%
But...with The Force Awakens this close, shouldn't it be obvious to EVERYONE that this thread will have spoilers?  And shouldn't it follow that, if you don't want the movie spoiled, you shouldn't be anywhere near a Star Wars-related thread right now?  Am I missing something?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3362 on: December 14, 2015, 02:11:59 PM »
No Bosky, no one should be missing anything. Except this shtick comes up every single time a big movie/game/album releases and it's just as mind boggling as it was the first time it happened all those eons ago.

But uh...y'know, no sweat off my sack if there is another thread. I've got very few series among any medium that I actually care about spoilers and this isn't one of them so I don't really have a Rancor in this fight.

RIP DTP.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3363 on: December 14, 2015, 11:36:16 PM »
I better stay off this particular thread for two weeks till I've seen Vii.   :\

This kind of raises a good question. Is there going to be a separate thread to discuss the new movie when it comes out? Or, is it open season in this thread? I'm excited to see the new movie, but I don't anticipate being able to see it for the first couple of weeks due to my work schedule. I'm wondering if I should avoid this part of the forum starting next week.

I think it would be best if we had a thread specifically for The Force Awakens so that the people who see it don't need to worry about posting spoilers, and the people who haven't seen it yet don't have to worry about seeing spoilers.
So perhaps the first person to see it who wants to post about it should create a new thread.

Agreed 100%
But...with The Force Awakens this close, shouldn't it be obvious to EVERYONE that this thread will have spoilers?  And shouldn't it follow that, if you don't want the movie spoiled, you shouldn't be anywhere near a Star Wars-related thread right now?  Am I missing something?

Part of the reason that it came to mind for me to ask is how the last IM album was handled in the music forum. I realize that part of the reason for the separate thread was because the album leaked a couple of weeks early, and the main thread was left spoiler free for those that didn't want to listen to it prior to the official release. However, (and I realize that I might be completely full of shit when I say this) it seemed like the main IM thread was left free of discussion about the new album for a few weeks after the release as well. Something like a grace period for those that chose to wait and let the music sink in naturally? Or, I could be experiencing selective memory loss.

Anyways, I thought that the same rule might apply here as well. No big deal either way. I'll probably play it safe and avoid this thread for a few weeks.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3364 on: December 15, 2015, 06:51:15 AM »
No big deal either way. I'll probably play it safe and avoid this thread for a few weeks.

Agreed... think I'll step out until next week.  jingle.family is planning to go on Sunday.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3365 on: December 15, 2015, 06:57:44 AM »
Tweets/reviews from those who have commented on the premiere seem to be universally positive.  Taking my son on Saturday morning to see for myself.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3366 on: December 15, 2015, 07:00:31 AM »
I saw Star Wars oranges and Star Wars coffee creamer in the grocery store over the weekend. Nothing special about the product. The labels were just Star Wars theme. I swear, every single store in this country has at least one item with Star Wars on it. Shit, Kohls has a few thousand.

Is Disney buying space on traffic signs?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3367 on: December 15, 2015, 08:05:47 AM »
What with it being Christmas season, and having lots to do, I probably won't have time to see it until Monday night.  I will stay off the internet all weekend if necessary.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3368 on: December 15, 2015, 12:04:07 PM »
Going Sunday at 12pm.  DVR'ing the Pats game to watch after the movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3369 on: December 15, 2015, 02:39:51 PM »
Hi, I have a question. I was a big fan of the original, and saw The Empire Strikes back, but that's all I've seen for Star Wars movies. I know they had 3 prequels, so my question is, where does the new movie fall in the timeline with the original. Is this a prequel too, or is this in the future? If so, how much in the future from the original is this one set?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3370 on: December 15, 2015, 02:45:52 PM »
This one is set to take place approximately 30 years after Return of the Jedi (which was itself approximately 1 year after the events in The Empire Strikes Back). 

Ep. I is set approximately 35 years before Ep. IV, A New Hope.
Ep. II is set approximately 22 years prior.
Ep. III is set approximately 18-19 years prior.
Ep. V (Empire Strikes Back) is 3-4 years after.
Ep. VI (Return of the Jedi) is approximately 1 year after that. 
Ep. VII, the new one, is approximately 30-32 years after that.

TAC, if you are planning on seeing the new one, do yourself a favor and watch the originals in Machete Order (which I described earlier in the thread).  Watch them in this order:  IV, V, II, III, VI.  Skip I altogether.  Then see the new one.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:51:28 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3371 on: December 15, 2015, 04:14:02 PM »
Planning on watching it on sunday if I can get tickets. So I will probably avoid this thread from know on because I feel it will explode tomorrow. The stream from the world premier is great to keeping the hype alive even though that's probably not an issue for most.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens World Premiere
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3372 on: December 15, 2015, 04:42:13 PM »
somebody may have just spoiled the whole movie for me

anyone feel like dying today

cause I feel like rippin' a few throats out right now
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3373 on: December 15, 2015, 04:48:10 PM »
You can tell me I am not invested in this movie in any way.

NON SPOILERY RedLetterMedia video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HaGe8XcMHA

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3374 on: December 15, 2015, 05:45:35 PM »
Yeah... I'm outta here until Sunday evening.  Though I do suggest (for a couple of days at least), people who catch the early viewings put some spoiler headings and/or small font.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3375 on: December 15, 2015, 05:47:07 PM »
HUGE SPOILER

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3376 on: December 15, 2015, 08:12:51 PM »
Everything in that picture is wrong.

On topic: I recently heard about these wars going on in the stars, does anyone know of such a thing? What's going on?

RIP DTP.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #3377 on: December 16, 2015, 02:40:33 AM »
I'm trying to avoid anything spoiler-y related, reviews included, to the new Star Wars movie before I'm going to see it tomorrow.

Not an easy thing to do today when reviews appears left and right throughout the day. And I need to be online to do my job.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3378 on: December 16, 2015, 07:29:23 AM »
Can't wait until Thursday night  :metal   I've stopped clicking all articles Star Wars related and am just trying to be patient at this point.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3379 on: December 16, 2015, 07:52:11 AM »
Just got back from midnight screening.  Excellent film!  The plot is a little derivative, but it's really well done.  Exceeded my expectations for sure.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3380 on: December 16, 2015, 07:59:27 AM »
I've seen criticisms of it being derivative, and it fits with what I know from the trailers and info. I think they're just playing it safe with the first movie, making it feel familiar and comfortable with some old elements, before branching out more and doing their own thing with all of the new elements they've established in the following movies. After the overwhelmingly negative response to the prequels, I think they wanted this movie to scream Star Wars to cleanse the palette a bit.

The 97% Rotten Tomatoes rating is currently trending on Twitter. Hopefully it holds up well over time. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind it has the prequels beat at the very least.

20 hours until I see it. I still suggest someone make a new thread. A lot of people won't get to see this immediately, but may still want to discuss the anticipation and hype, and want some spoiler free feedback. This is going to be one of the biggest movies of all time, it warrants its own thread!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3381 on: December 16, 2015, 08:07:54 AM »
I still suggest someone make a new thread. A lot of people won't get to see this immediately, but may still want to discuss the anticipation and hype, and want some spoiler free feedback. This is going to be one of the biggest movies of all time, it warrants its own thread!

I get bosk1's point of 'you should expect spoilers' in the STAR WARS thread....but this movie may just need it's own. I'm certain I'll want to speak about it without small fonting everything or tip toeing around to try and not ruin it for people....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3382 on: December 16, 2015, 08:13:58 AM »
I still suggest someone make a new thread. A lot of people won't get to see this immediately, but may still want to discuss the anticipation and hype, and want some spoiler free feedback. This is going to be one of the biggest movies of all time, it warrants its own thread!

I get bosk1's point of 'you should expect spoilers' in the STAR WARS thread....but this movie may just need it's own. I'm certain I'll want to speak about it without small fonting everything or tip toeing around to try and not ruin it for people....

For a movie this big, who wants to do that? That just kills the fun on what is one of the biggest pop culture events in a long time. People should be able to discuss it freely.
I don't agree that you should have to expect spoilers in the Star Wars thread. This is a thread for a huge franchise in general, not just for the one movie, a thread that was around years before Ep VII was even announced. People still want to discuss the lead up and get excited without having the movie ruined. You should obviously expect spoilers in a thread about The Force Awakens though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread -- USE OTHER THREAD FOR THE FORCE AWAKENS SPOILERS
« Reply #3383 on: December 16, 2015, 08:25:06 AM »
I don't get it, but okay.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread -- USE OTHER THREAD FOR THE FORCE AWAKENS SPOILERS
« Reply #3384 on: December 16, 2015, 08:26:39 AM »
I don't mind spoilers about Star Wars in a Star Wars thread.

But let's hold off on them at least until the official release date, the 18th.  Once we get there, it's open season and in the public domain, and the reader should beware.

For people lucky enough to see it before then, congratulations, but please no spoilers quite yet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3385 on: December 16, 2015, 08:27:40 AM »
I don't get it, but okay.

Bosky, you're a national treasure.

But not the crappy kind with Nicholas Cage, the good kind like Betty White.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3386 on: December 16, 2015, 08:34:17 AM »
Movies nearly always get a great reception in the first week after they're in cinemas.

Then after that - the trolls come out in full force and declare everything the worst movie ever made.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3387 on: December 16, 2015, 08:34:47 AM »
I don't mind being lumped in with Betty White in pretty much any context.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3388 on: December 16, 2015, 08:35:30 AM »
Movies nearly always get a great reception in the first week after they're in cinemas.

Then after that - the trolls come out in full force and declare everything the worst movie ever made.

Good thing nothing like that ever happens on this forum!  :neverusethis:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3389 on: December 16, 2015, 08:43:27 AM »
The IMDB forum is hilarious for that.

You look up any film you can think of and there's at least 10 threads in the forum for that film which are titled " WORST MOVIE EVER "  or " THIS MOVIE SUCKS SO HARD ".

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3390 on: December 16, 2015, 08:48:08 AM »

More like-

A movie gets great initial reviews in the hype and excitement of seeing a movie for the first time on the big screen.

Then over time people rewatch it, and realize they got caught up in the excitement, and give it a more honest level headed objective review.

Sure, you'll have polarized views from both ends, but they're a loud minority in both cases, as is typical for the internet.

Even Episode I apparently got generally positive reviews from fans initially (nowhere near this good), which is unbelievable to anybody now. :lol I'm sure The Force Awakens is a genuinely good movie either way, but I doubt it's going to hold its current ratings. It's just a matter of how far it will drop before it settles.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3391 on: December 16, 2015, 09:43:58 AM »
Going to a MIDNIGHT showing tonight !!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3392 on: December 16, 2015, 09:45:08 AM »
You're a brave man! :lol I'm going to a 10pm showing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3393 on: December 16, 2015, 09:49:04 AM »
Hey that's nothing !

I booked an IMAX showing of Into Darkness for the release date in London ( I was living in Reading at the time )... at 9pm.

Then i found out the Multiplex in the town centre was showing it at midnight the same day so I went to that AS WELL.

:lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3394 on: December 16, 2015, 09:52:12 AM »
I'll be seeing it at 7:30pm tomorrow, so roughly only 32.5 hours! :caffeine: