Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455551 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #5180 on: June 21, 2017, 04:10:02 AM »
They're the equivalent of session musicians in this case. The person was hired because of their abilities, and there is some room for creative license and for them to put their mark on it, but at the end of the day, it still has to be within the defined parameters of what someone else wants creatively. Obviously they did not do that satisfactorily in this case.
Yeah I think it depends on the extent to which the producers have a strong creative vision of their own. In the case of major franchises like Star Wars, Marvel etc. that is clearly the case. As you say, directors can bring their talents and put their stamp on it, but if their vision is too different to that of the producers, it won't work.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5181 on: June 21, 2017, 04:37:43 AM »
I enjoyed the movie even more than TFA, so I agree.

I'm completely with Blob here.  I think R1 is one of the best movies from the Star Wars Universe.

I hadn't any interest in this project yet, as evidenced by me not even knowing who the directors were.

This is me exactly as well.  And hearing that these two had so little experience, and little/no experience in action/sci-fi (The Lego Movie is a stretch), and leading it towards a comedic affair (I thought GOTG went too far over the top with the forced comedy, lord knows how this one would've played out)...

I just became WAY more interested in this movie given this great news.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5182 on: June 21, 2017, 07:22:37 AM »
Studio interference from Disney on Star Wars is a lot different than saw WB interfering with the DC universe. Kathleen Kennedy has done a fabulous job so far and I have no reason not to trust this move. As this is the first true stand alone Star Wars movie (I view Rogue one more as a prequel) they can't afford to fuck it up if they want to keep making other non Skywalker movies.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5183 on: June 21, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »
Between that and the fiasco with Rogue One last year, Lucasfilm ain't looking so good, at least with regards to their treatment of directors

Not sure of R1 can be considered a fiasco, with just some late re-shoots and a billion at the box-office. This movie is a different animal. First, they are trying to give answers to questions no one cares about. No one cares about a Han pre-Ep4 story, so don't try and create a demand for one. Second, I've never heard of these directors. Stay in your lane, fellas. You may be captain of this ship (or you were), but Kathleen is Admiral of the Fleet.

Yeah, there was no fiasco with R1. It was a standard reshoot that some SW fans thought was a big deal.
Firing both directors mid filming though? That's huge. There's been a lot of negativity about this movie from the start, and this isn't going to help. I'm interested to see if this move helps the movie or hurts it even more.

If my memory of the situation is correct, they had to reshoot something like 40% of the film, bring in a different director to supervise some of them, and because of the delays, they also had to change composers. I don't want to argue too much about semantics and whether it was truly a "fiasco" or not, but it wasn't... Shall we say, ideal?

The main takeaway from that and this, I think, is that Lucasfilm seems to be doing a poor job of nailing down the visions for these stand-alone films until way too late in the process.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5184 on: June 21, 2017, 08:33:52 AM »
But as a viewer and fan of these films does it really matter to us how they get created as the long as the end product is good? I'm sure if i was involved in the process of making these films the process would probably drive me crazy. I don't think reshoots are a bad thing either. It's better to recognize problems and fix them than to just truck on and put out a shitty film.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5185 on: June 21, 2017, 08:35:25 AM »
Re-shoots are normal.  It's just that we don't normally hear about them, so when we do, there is a tendency to think it is something out of the ordinary.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5186 on: June 21, 2017, 09:13:26 AM »
Re-shoots are normal.  It's just that we don't normally hear about them, so when we do, there is a tendency to think it is something out of the ordinary.

This. Happens on most films. But because reporting on entertainment generates a lot of money and interest, it is followed a lot more closely now. I just roll my eyes at it and move on.

if what was said about the Han movie is right, I am glad they are re-shooting. I didn't really want the Han movie, but if they made him a comedic character, that's wrong. He isn't comedy. He's sarcastic and a pretty deep character. So I am glad the studio got involved to correct it, if the directors went the wrong route.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5187 on: June 21, 2017, 10:09:54 AM »
Am I incorrect though in saying that what happened with Rogue One wasn't exactly normal? It's not like they just re-shot a few scenes; reports indicated that they had to reshoot as much as 40% of the film, rewrite key scenes, bring on a second director to supervise some of them, and hire a new composer because of the delays.

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. I'm just acknowledging the molehill.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5188 on: June 21, 2017, 10:12:04 AM »
Yes, R1 reshoots went well beyond what is considered normal in Hollywood. Still think it was for the best though.

I think one reason people really noticed it was that much of the trailers consisted of shots that were eventually reshot for the movie. So people saw the trailers, and then most of the shots in those trailers never made it to the movie and were replaced by reshots.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5189 on: June 21, 2017, 10:25:32 AM »
Am I incorrect though in saying that what happened with Rogue One wasn't exactly normal? It's not like they just re-shot a few scenes; reports indicated that they had to reshoot as much as 40% of the film, rewrite key scenes, bring on a second director to supervise some of them, and hire a new composer because of the delays.

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. I'm just acknowledging the molehill.

Everyone close to the movie has said that the 40% figure was bogus and that they wouldn't have even had time to redo that much of the movie that late and still have it finished on schedule (which would be true for a big effects movie like that). There were notable changes made to key scenes, but I think it was more about getting the tone of the movie perfect, which I think says more about Disney's dedication to getting it right, rather than the movie being a disaster beforehand. The change in composer was due to the reshoots being pushed back from the intended dates. Changing composer due to scheduling conflicts is also not that unusual. I don't know about a second director, but I did hear that the big ensemble cast was an additional logistical issue for the reshoots, so another director was likely a necessity of scheduling too.
Rogue One definitely could have been a very different movie in editing with some of the changes, but to call the situation a fiasco without us knowing all the inside details is imo a stretch. This business with the Han Solo movie suggest to me that maybe Disney is still trying to strike that right balance between giving the directors creative freedom to make a movie in that universe, and keeping a hold of the reins on what they want Star Wars to be at the top level.

Also, I remember reading about particular shots in the trailer that were never even intended for the movie, but just added to have some cool shots for that early trailer. I could probably dig up the article if I cared enough.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:35:55 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5190 on: June 22, 2017, 09:27:21 AM »
So Ron Howard is gonna take over the Han Solo movie?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5191 on: June 22, 2017, 09:40:59 AM »
Yeah, very interesting.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5192 on: June 22, 2017, 10:03:11 AM »
Just read about Ron Howard.  While he's an awesome director, this seems like it might be out of his wheelhouse.  But hey... I'm sure Disney knows what it's doing.  Like Blob said... could be very interesting.

Online Adami

« Reply #5193 on: June 22, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
Dude is a pro though. He knows how to make a good family friendly film, which is what this will be.

Also seems like a very very relaxed guy, which is apparently what they want, since it's being reported that a lot of people on the set are not terribly happy or calm.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5194 on: June 22, 2017, 10:56:40 AM »
Ron Howard is a good choice.  I haven't see every one of his films, but I've liked most of the ones I've seen.  And everyone seems to like him.  I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about him, from anybody.  That's pretty rare.

Online Adami

« Reply #5195 on: June 22, 2017, 10:59:42 AM »
Ron Howard is a good choice.  I haven't see every one of his films, but I've liked most of the ones I've seen.  And everyone seems to like him.  I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about him, from anybody.  That's pretty rare.

Well, I bet Michael Bluth would have a few choice words.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #5196 on: June 22, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »
Ron Howard appeared as the leading choice right after the news came out. It's definitely a safe choice, I like Ron Howard's movie, I know the Dan Brown movies get slagged a lot but apart from those dude has some seriously good movies. I've only seen Angels and Demons of the trilogy and rather liked it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5197 on: June 22, 2017, 01:10:41 PM »

Yeah, Howard is a solid replacement.

Still would have liked to see a Lord & Miller directed Han Solo Movie, but it is what it is..

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5198 on: June 22, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »

I have no idea who that is.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5199 on: June 22, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »

Well, if Ron Howard doesn't work out, than there's always money in the Banana stand.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5200 on: June 23, 2017, 10:23:23 AM »
THERE'S ALWAYS MONEY IN THE BANANA STAND!!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5201 on: June 23, 2017, 12:04:34 PM »
Sit on it Han.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5202 on: June 23, 2017, 04:15:33 PM »
these movies have jumped the shark.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Adami

« Reply #5203 on: June 23, 2017, 04:18:04 PM »
Is it weird that a Star Wars(ish) movie is being directed by a guy who starred in a George Lucas film, alongside Harrison Ford?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5204 on: June 23, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »
these movies have jumped the shark.

ehh...I'd have to say you're wrong on that. IF the Han Solo movie falls flat and is a disaster then 'maybe' you can start to make the case....because Episode 8 is going to make mad bank and be a global hit so the franchise will have three consecutive Billion dollar movies leading into Han Solo.

They've far from jumped the shark. In fact, the shark they may eventually jump hasn't even been born yet....actually.....the father of the father who will father the father of the father that fathers the jumped shark's grandfather hasn't been born yet......
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

« Reply #5205 on: June 23, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »
Pretty sure he was just making a Happy Days joke.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5206 on: June 23, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »

:facepalm:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5207 on: June 23, 2017, 08:40:52 PM »
Still good answer tho

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5208 on: June 24, 2017, 04:10:17 AM »

:facepalm:

Gary, you were wrrrooo,  wrruuooo,  wrooo, wroo...
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5209 on: June 24, 2017, 10:40:16 AM »
And remember when Han hits the Falcon to start her up when leaving Hoth, just like The Fonz would do with the jukebox? This connection is big, you guys!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PowerSlave

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5212 on: June 25, 2017, 11:11:27 AM »
My concern is, how much of the already shot footage are they going to be stuck with, and how bad is it? Is it certain scenes where it deviates, or was the entire direction pushed that way?
Given the negativity surrounding the entire concept of a Han Solo prequel movie, they really need to get this right if it has any chance of success.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5213 on: June 25, 2017, 11:50:08 AM »
My concern is, how much of the already shot footage are they going to be stuck with, and how bad is it? Is it certain scenes where it deviates, or was the entire direction pushed that way?
Given the negativity surrounding the entire concept of a Han Solo prequel movie, they really need to get this right if it has any chance of success.

I'm waiting for the news in the next couple weeks that the movie will be delayed due to having to basically start over. Some sources say 3/4 of the movie has been shot already...which...if that's the case....no amount of editing would be able to 'hide' whatever comedic angle or creative difference there was...right?

It wouldn't bother me one bit if they delayed it and allowed Howard to shoot what he needs to shoot, like you said....they need to get it right so if it's delayed a half year or so it's delayed a half year.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5214 on: June 25, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »
How did it take people in charge this long to notice that this was going wrong? Were they not keeping tabs on production?