Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455615 times)

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #5145 on: May 10, 2017, 01:00:35 PM »
The only parts of Empire I find slow are the Yoda/Luke training scenes on Dagobah.

Sure, they are important scenes, I just find they drag a little.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5146 on: May 11, 2017, 12:23:43 AM »
We made some popcorn, had a few laughs, and she stayed awake through the whole thing. So I consider it a success.

I also found a moment in Phantom Menace that I hadn't really ever noticed before. When the crew arrives on Coruscant and they split up, Anakin is all confused about where he's supposed to go so he looks back at Qui-Gon and points askingly a few times in different directions. I thought that was a legitimately funny moment, not because it was bad, it was just good. Unfortunately, it's probably the only intentionally funny thing in the entire movie, and probably because it doesn't involve a word of dialogue. It's subtle moment, which is why it works I'd say.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5147 on: May 11, 2017, 08:05:06 AM »
I also found a moment in Phantom Menace that I hadn't really ever noticed before. When the crew arrives on Coruscant and they split up, Anakin is all confused about where he's supposed to go so he looks back at Qui-Gon and points askingly a few times in different directions. I thought that was a legitimately funny moment, not because it was bad, it was just good. Unfortunately, it's probably the only intentionally funny thing in the entire movie, and probably because it doesn't involve a word of dialogue. It's subtle moment, which is why it works I'd say.
It was probably ad-libbed by the actors.  I doubt Lucas had a hand in that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5148 on: May 11, 2017, 02:16:15 PM »
A good director can pull stuff like that out of his actors, too, or it could have come about collaboratively.  Either way, yeah, I'm sure Lucas didn't have it in the script.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5149 on: May 23, 2017, 04:20:27 PM »

They look like they are ready to fuck shit up.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5150 on: May 23, 2017, 04:22:34 PM »
Oh Goody.

Captain DoesNothing is back !

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5151 on: May 23, 2017, 04:42:52 PM »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5152 on: May 24, 2017, 01:46:12 AM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5153 on: May 24, 2017, 01:47:52 AM »
Is it a new meme/thing to cut up words from shows to songs, because I saw an entirely different one only yesterday.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5154 on: May 24, 2017, 04:30:00 AM »
Is it a new meme/thing to cut up words from shows to songs, because I saw an entirely different one only yesterday.

If it wasn't then it will be by the end of the week.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5155 on: May 24, 2017, 04:38:51 AM »
I figure if I'm just finding out about it now, then it was probably already popular two weeks ago. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5156 on: May 24, 2017, 04:40:59 AM »
That's Aussie internet for you !!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5157 on: May 25, 2017, 07:00:22 AM »
Did anyone get a chance to check out the new Vanity Fair article? There's a lot of good information in there.

Minor spoiler: Rian Johnson is doing something that is very simple, but really interesting... Again, minor spoiler... In that he is going to explore the elite of the Star Wars galaxy by having Fin go to a planet where all the rich douchebags live. I'm surprised that it hasn't been done before up until now.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5158 on: May 25, 2017, 08:54:23 AM »
Sounds like a cool idea.  I'm going to stay away and not spoil anything though.  I would prefer to not know.  I have read TONS of spoilers about Alien: Covenant just because I've gotten to an age where I don't find it enjoyable to be scared, but I still want to see it, so I'm trying to front-load as much info about the film as possible before I see it.  But generally, I'd prefer not to know everything about a film before I see it.  That is getting harder and harder to do these days.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5159 on: May 25, 2017, 09:52:36 AM »
Alien Covenant is not scary in the slightest.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5163 on: June 20, 2017, 06:15:07 PM »
Apparently the Han Solo directors have dropped out of the project. Between that and the fiasco with Rogue One last year, Lucasfilm ain't looking so good, at least with regards to their treatment of directors. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5164 on: June 20, 2017, 08:03:59 PM »
I wonder if Lord and Miller were going for a more goofy version along the lines of the jump street movies. We've seen that Lucasfilm aren't afraid to get dark like they did with Rogue One. The movie was 3 weeks away from completing shooting apparently.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5165 on: June 20, 2017, 08:17:31 PM »
What a cluster fuck.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5166 on: June 20, 2017, 08:38:30 PM »
Poor Carrie. Sad this news had to come out.

Between that and the fiasco with Rogue One last year, Lucasfilm ain't looking so good, at least with regards to their treatment of directors

Not sure of R1 can be considered a fiasco, with just some late re-shoots and a billion at the box-office. This movie is a different animal. First, they are trying to give answers to questions no one cares about. No one cares about a Han pre-Ep4 story, so don't try and create a demand for one. Second, I've never heard of these directors. Stay in your lane, fellas. You may be captain of this ship (or you were), but Kathleen is Admiral of the Fleet.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5167 on: June 20, 2017, 08:42:06 PM »
Lord and Miller have directed some successful movies so far even though they are just few. They did the Jump Street movies, The Lego Movie and Cloudy with a chance of meatballs. They have a pretty good track record, as I said before, I get the sense they may have wanted to take the movie in a goofier direction given their movie making repertoire.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5168 on: June 20, 2017, 09:32:48 PM »
Lord and Miller have directed some successful movies so far even though they are just few. They did the Jump Street movies, The Lego Movie and Cloudy with a chance of meatballs. They have a pretty good track record, as I said before, I get the sense they may have wanted to take the movie in a goofier direction given their movie making repertoire.

Which is why she just corrected the horrible mistake of hiring them in the first place. I just became WAY more interested in this movie given this great news.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5169 on: June 20, 2017, 09:56:54 PM »
There's more info in this article and it just sounds like it was never meant to work from the start.

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-kathleen-kennedy-director-fired-1202473919/

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5170 on: June 20, 2017, 10:50:29 PM »
Between that and the fiasco with Rogue One last year, Lucasfilm ain't looking so good, at least with regards to their treatment of directors

Not sure of R1 can be considered a fiasco, with just some late re-shoots and a billion at the box-office. This movie is a different animal. First, they are trying to give answers to questions no one cares about. No one cares about a Han pre-Ep4 story, so don't try and create a demand for one. Second, I've never heard of these directors. Stay in your lane, fellas. You may be captain of this ship (or you were), but Kathleen is Admiral of the Fleet.

Yeah, there was no fiasco with R1. It was a standard reshoot that some SW fans thought was a big deal.
Firing both directors mid filming though? That's huge. There's been a lot of negativity about this movie from the start, and this isn't going to help. I'm interested to see if this move helps the movie or hurts it even more.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5171 on: June 20, 2017, 11:03:18 PM »
"Studio Involvement" is the bane of the film director's existence, and something you generally don't want to hear as a film goer, as studio execs are not generally artistically inclined and their involvement rarely betters a film. Considering the check Disney wrote for Lucasfilm though, I can see them wanting to have more control over these projects, and Kathleen isn't a stranger to quality movies.

I hadn't any interest in this project yet, as evidenced by me not even knowing who the directors were. There can be such a thing as SW fatigue, and I in interested in new, fresh projects, not trying to fill in gaps and tell backstories I didn't care of in the first place.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5172 on: June 20, 2017, 11:10:55 PM »

Yeah, there was no fiasco with R1. It was a standard reshoot that some SW fans thought was a big deal.
Firing both directors mid filming though? That's huge. There's been a lot of negativity about this movie from the start, and this isn't going to help. I'm interested to see if this move helps the movie or hurts it even more.

Reshoots are standards, but a lot of the final version of R1 was done through those reshoots, specifically the ending. They re-wrote pretty big parts of that film for the reshoots.

All for the better, if you ask me, since the parts everyone seems to like all came from the re-writes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5173 on: June 20, 2017, 11:18:19 PM »

Reshoots are standards, but a lot of the final version of R1 was done through those reshoots, specifically the ending. They re-wrote pretty big parts of that film for the reshoots.

All for the better, if you ask me, since the parts everyone seems to like all came from the re-writes.

I enjoyed the movie even more than TFA, so I agree.
Given the changes they made to Rogue One in reshoots that resulted in the movie being what they wanted, just imagine how far this movie must be from their intention if they felt the only course of action was to fire both directors at this point?
Botching R1 wouldn't have been the end of the world, because it's a standalone isolated story. But messing this one up would be pretty significant.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5174 on: June 20, 2017, 11:29:43 PM »
Bummer! I was really looking forward to Lorde & Miller directed SW movie!

This has become a troubling trend with the big franchises. The higher up's tell the directors what kind of movie they want, and if that won't work then you're out the door. No room for the directors to make their own vision. I think the reason why Wonder Woman and Logan were so good, is that Patty Jenkins and James Mangold clearly had creative freedom to do a movie they wanted.

I HATE that this has come to Star Wars franchise also. My favorite movie series!

No doubt they are going to replace them with a yes man, who will do exactly what Kennedy wants..

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5175 on: June 21, 2017, 12:11:08 AM »
The more I read the more it feels sensible for the firing to happen I suppose. The complaints I'm reading includes the executives not being happy with the performances of the actors and the general improvised feeling of the shoot.

From this article

The creative clash, according to one insider, also came down to differences in understanding the character of Han Solo. “People need to understand that Han Solo is not a comedic personality. He’s sarcastic and selfish,” said that source.

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5176 on: June 21, 2017, 02:05:25 AM »
Wow, that's big news. I like The Lego Movie and 21 Jump St well enough, but if there was an attempt to bring that kind of chaotic humour to the Han Solo movie, I could see it being a disaster.

Even if they get a new director quickly, I'm wondering how much was already shot, and how much will have to be redone?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5177 on: June 21, 2017, 02:47:29 AM »
One thing is for certain, even if they get a new director onboard quickly, we are going to see massive reshoots and a delay of the release date.

They are probably going to scrap a lot of the footage, already in the can..

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5178 on: June 21, 2017, 02:51:45 AM »
Since we're on a DT forum we all know what "label interference" means, looking back on FII.

It seems a trend everywhere when business and arts collide: a musician knows the kind of album that wants to make but the label wants a hit, a director has a vision for a movie but the studio demands a love story etc etc... I could say that the executives never ever learn from their mistakes, but probably there are times and situations in which they're actually right, without considering they can't afford risks that may cost millions of money.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5179 on: June 21, 2017, 03:50:49 AM »
They're the equivalent of session musicians in this case. The person was hired because of their abilities, and there is some room for creative license and for them to put their mark on it, but at the end of the day, it still has to be within the defined parameters of what someone else wants creatively. Obviously they did not do that satisfactorily in this case.