Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 450844 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #5005 on: April 07, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »
TFA: Bad Lip Reading

https://youtu.be/l6Rgbe0Wzq8

Very funny.

Very funny, but Ren's finger puppets were kinda lame.  I don't remember BLR ever working with anything but actual footage from the movie before.  Or if they have, it was much more subtle than this.

I'm pretty sure they've done it before. I couldn't tell you in which one, but it's not a new thing. I thought it turned out ok. I find their jokes are often a bit hit and miss, depending on what they're able to come up with to match the lips. This one mostly turned out really good.

Oh, it was mostly really good.  But the combination of the finger puppets and the fact that I just didn't find it funny brought the score down for me.

Maybe because it was such an important scene, they felt like just making light of it by turning the dialog into something funny was somehow wrong, so they went all the way in a different direction with it.  Just a guess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5006 on: April 07, 2017, 10:08:24 AM »
My guess is that they came up with a funny bit of dialogue about finger puppets to fit with the lip sync, which required adding in the effects to make the joke work.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5007 on: April 07, 2017, 10:25:44 AM »
How can finger puppets NOT make a scene better?  I don't understand.  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5008 on: April 10, 2017, 06:50:24 AM »
Finally watched Rogue One over the weekend.  I skipped it in the theaters due to not wanting to deal with large crowds and did my best to avoid spoilers for 4 months straight, which is impossible.  So I knew of some things (like the general idea of Vader's last scene, but none of the details, or that it was a suicide mission for all of the main characters, but didn't know how characters may die). 

The movie blew me away - it's probably the most bad-ass of all the Star Wars films.   Or at least has the most bad-ass action sequences, especially the big battle at the end.  The intensity of that whole scene was amazing - how will they succeed?  We know they do, yet I was on the edge of the seat for the whole battle.   The ending of the movie had me with tears in my eyes, as I sat there and watched the exact moments before the beginning of Episode IV occur.  Vader just annihilating everyone in his path, with the plans just slipping through his grasp....and into Leia's.  It really made me feel like a kid again.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5009 on: April 10, 2017, 07:04:03 AM »
I agree Grappler, it was the perfect tie-in with the original trilogy that Revenge of the Sith never was.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #5010 on: April 11, 2017, 07:46:32 PM »
Finally watched Rogue One again.  I was a huge critic when it came out.  Hated it.   

Didn't hate it the second time (bought the Blu-ray).  Pretty good and will watch it again and again.

That said, I still don't personally think it stands above the "episode" movies.  While I'm also a big critic of the prequels, I rank Rogue One second to last (the only one worse being The Phantom Menace).  Sad thing is, Episodes II and III I can objectively stand away and say "yeah, by all means Rogue One has better acting, etc."  But I'm so into the story behind Jedi, Sith, etc. that I like the story of them better than Rogue One (hell, I don't even know there's a single actor/acress in the prequels I thought did great).

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5011 on: April 12, 2017, 03:06:22 AM »
Glad to hear you're coming round to it, though I'm curious as to why you bought the Bluray? I can't imagine ever buying a Bluray/DVD of a film I hated. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5012 on: April 12, 2017, 03:38:35 AM »
Maybe he's a Star Wars completist. I've got some movies I don't care for just to complete the collection (eg Star Trek).

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5013 on: April 12, 2017, 06:49:02 AM »
Sounds like the first Last Jedi trailer will be coming in the next couple of days.  :metal

Offline Grappler

« Reply #5014 on: April 12, 2017, 06:51:02 AM »
But I'm so into the story behind Jedi, Sith, etc. that I like the story of them better than Rogue One (hell, I don't even know there's a single actor/acress in the prequels I thought did great).

I had a similar feeling during the first 30 minutes of the movie.  "Where's the lightsabers?"

Once the story got going, I was completely sucked in.  It also helped to remember where this story takes place in the timeline - just before Episode IV.  The Empire controls everything, the rebellion is there, but hasn't had the success that is to come, and the last of the Jedi remain in hiding (Yoda, Obi-Wan). 

It's a war movie that is set in the Star Wars universe.  It's not about Siths or Jedi.  I think that's pretty cool that they can make a different type of movie and drop it into the existing universe.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5015 on: April 12, 2017, 07:15:25 AM »
That's what I liked about it.  "A Star Wars Story" is exactly what it is, but it's not about the Sith or the Jedi; it's a look at the Rebellion and the lives the "regular" people lived, and why the war came about in the first place.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5016 on: April 12, 2017, 07:19:25 AM »
I liked that it had nothing to do with Skywalkers and the Jedi and lightsaber battles. It made the Star Wars universe feel bigger and more real, and also made it more special that the main movies have that stuff. It would undermine the main movies if those elements were too common. Rogue One wasn't a movie about the exceptional few at the very top, it was a movie about the scrappy underdogs, the unsung heroes of the rebellion, giving their lives for the cause.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5017 on: April 12, 2017, 07:27:23 AM »
I liked that it had nothing to do with Skywalkers and the Jedi and lightsaber battles. It made the Star Wars universe feel bigger and more real, and also made it more special that the main movies have that stuff. It would undermine the main movies if those elements were too common. Rogue One wasn't a movie about the exceptional few at the very top, it was a movie about the scrappy underdogs, the unsung heroes of the rebellion, giving their lives for the cause.

Completely agree.  It added to the scope of whole storyline.  We got to understand the universe more.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5018 on: April 12, 2017, 08:08:22 AM »

Completely agree.  It added to the scope of whole storyline.  We got to understand the universe more.

That, and it also gave us a much deeper look at the empire than just Palatine and Vader as well, which gave the empire added depth and realism. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5019 on: April 12, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »
Also the spaceships and planets looked amazing in this movie! The explosions are great too, lol.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5020 on: April 12, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »

That, and it also gave us a much deeper look at the empire than just Palatine and Vader as well, which gave the empire added depth and realism.

BINGO.  I think R1 has a good likelihood of being my favorite Star Wars (but not Star Wars) movie.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5021 on: April 12, 2017, 01:02:20 PM »

I agree with all of that, but that doesn't make it a great movie personally.  It still lacked character depth that hurt its the film when they all die and I just feel "meh whatever". 

Also the spaceships and planets looked amazing in this movie! The explosions are great too, lol.

Yea, definitely.  I also thought TFA looked amazing too.  They did a really great job in that aspect, honestly better than any other movie I can recall recently although I hardly watch new movies anymore.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5022 on: April 12, 2017, 01:45:17 PM »

I agree with all of that, but that doesn't make it a great movie personally.  It still lacked character depth that hurt its the film when they all die and I just feel "meh whatever". 

Well, to each their own.  But I personally feel like they did a LOT more with adding character depth than pretty much any other SW film--especially given that they only had one film to set up most of these characters.  I mean, sure there ended up being a lot of red shirts whose only real practical function was to die an inglorious death.  But the main characters were fantastic.  Jyn and Galen Erso were great as damaged tragic heroes.  With their family background and all we were given about them, I'm not sure how you couldn't feel their characters lacked depth.  It is maybe because her family situation was spelled out onscreen whereas Luke's, for example, was much more ambiguous in ANH and much of Empire?  Then what about Cassian?  He was great.  The consummate spy who will do anything for the cause, but is himself damaged goods for reasons we don't know about.  Heck, even Krennic is great because you can understand and sympathize with his struggles and motivations.  And K-2SO is the only droid I have ever really felt anything for in the SW universe.  I think the character depth was great.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline Grappler

« Reply #5024 on: April 12, 2017, 02:02:45 PM »
And K-2SO is the only droid I have ever really felt anything for in the SW universe.  I think the character depth was great.

Completely.  I felt awful watching K-2SO die, and I've never felt that before while watching a Star Wars movie.  He was taking a pummeling.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5025 on: April 12, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
Maybe because he was the only good character surrounded by cardboard cut outs.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #5026 on: April 12, 2017, 04:53:45 PM »
Glad to hear you're coming round to it, though I'm curious as to why you bought the Bluray? I can't imagine ever buying a Bluray/DVD of a film I hated. :lol

You could call it Star Wars completism, I guess haha.  As much as I complained about Rogue One, I've been really wanting to see it again - it's been months since seeing it that one time.  And even the prequels I've watched numerous times, just for the story (not that the story is even that great, I guess maybe I just like the SW universe?).  Heck the story of the prequels is horrible...  I just like Star Wars I guess.  I'm just a movie guy though, I've never read a SW book or have any knowledge of anything outside of the main movies.

And, I was pretty sure I was overly harsh and wouldn't hate it so much on another watch.  I'll probably watch it once a year for a few years...  To put into perspective, I think I've watched the Force Awakens at least fifteen times.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5027 on: April 13, 2017, 07:23:17 PM »
An interview to commemorate 40 years that might interest some of you - features most of the key players in Star Wars .  Stumbled onto it while reading a story on JOurney's RNRHOF induction.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/watch-harrison-ford-george-lucas-discuss-pre-star-wars-history-w476625
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:28:26 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5028 on: April 13, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »

Well, to each their own.  But I personally feel like they did a LOT more with adding character depth than pretty much any other SW film--especially given that they only had one film to set up most of these characters.  I mean, sure there ended up being a lot of red shirts whose only real practical function was to die an inglorious death.  But the main characters were fantastic.  Jyn and Galen Erso were great as damaged tragic heroes.  With their family background and all we were given about them, I'm not sure how you couldn't feel their characters lacked depth.  It is maybe because her family situation was spelled out onscreen whereas Luke's, for example, was much more ambiguous in ANH and much of Empire?  Then what about Cassian?  He was great.  The consummate spy who will do anything for the cause, but is himself damaged goods for reasons we don't know about.  Heck, even Krennic is great because you can understand and sympathize with his struggles and motivations.  And K-2SO is the only droid I have ever really felt anything for in the SW universe.  I think the character depth was great.

I agree.

In fact, I think when people say depth, they really mean charisma, fun and likability.

Rey had no depth. She's a chick on a desert planet who wants to go do stuff. That's about it.

Poe? Same thing, just a cocky pilot.

Finn and Caspien had similar levels of depth as well.

The difference is that Rey, Finn, Poe and them oozed charisma and people loved how fun and likable they were. While the Rogue One guys were very somber and dark in comparison.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #5029 on: April 14, 2017, 12:20:11 AM »
Keep an eyeout for The Last Jedi trailer to drop tomorrow during the Episode 8 panel at Celebration in Orlando. The Panel is suppose to stream live too like they did with the 40th Anniversary panel

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5030 on: April 14, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »
Teaser trailer today and main international trailer on May 4?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:57:51 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5032 on: April 14, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »
The Rey / Luke scenes are looking very Luke / Yoda as expected, and the space battles and vehicles looked really cool.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5033 on: April 14, 2017, 10:10:36 AM »
Pretty cool.

Some of the spaceship stuff had that grainy CG that a lot of CG ships have now. I can't really explain it.

But the Saucer crash in Star Trek Beyond had it. You can just tell it's CG. There's no comparison when using models.

I think they have the lighting right and they've figured out how to make CG objects have weight to them...

But there's still something off about it. The saucer crash in Star Trek Generations was far superior because it was an actual 6ft saucer.

But that was a nice teaser. My only worry is that they don't over-use BB-8. He was pitched *perfectly* in Episode 7. Use him sparingly please.

Luke : Maybe it's time for the Jedi to end... Red all over the poster... Luke goes bad ?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:16:49 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5034 on: April 14, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »
That was pretty epic!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5035 on: April 14, 2017, 10:17:58 AM »
Can't wait for the RedLetterMedia fake reaction video :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5036 on: April 14, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5037 on: April 14, 2017, 10:50:47 AM »
That was awesome, i loved it

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5038 on: April 14, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »
It was on the same level as the first Force Awakens teaser.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5039 on: April 14, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »
It's going to be a long 8 months.