Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455767 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #4970 on: March 24, 2017, 01:13:37 PM »
Heh heh.  So it's probably true, but officially it's just hearsay.  Lucas always tried to keep things tight, and in general I thinks that's a perfectly valid approach.  I have no issues with Disney's put the smackdown on this.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4971 on: March 24, 2017, 01:33:58 PM »
Maybe Portnoy should go work for Disney.  :laugh:

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4972 on: March 24, 2017, 01:46:43 PM »
:omg:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4973 on: March 24, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »
I think you missed the joke Orbert. I was a Portnoy jab.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4974 on: March 24, 2017, 02:01:25 PM »
No, I got it.  MP is pretty ridiculous how he smacks down on his forums.  But the thought of him going and working in Disney's PR department or something is freaky.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4975 on: March 24, 2017, 04:50:07 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4976 on: March 25, 2017, 06:45:29 AM »
:lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4977 on: March 25, 2017, 08:15:40 PM »
From Bob Iger about the Han Solo film:

Iger also revealed that the next film, a standalone project on Han Solo, will follow his life from the age of 18 through 24. The film will including “acquiring a certain vehicle and meeting a certain Wookie,” he said. “You’ll also discover how he got his name.”

A representative from Disney went on to say that "the ONLY 'official' information that has/will be posted so far is what is posted on Official Disney Social Media. Several people here RAN and SPREAD the "leak" as if it was "official information" which it was NOT.... Iger was absolutely reprimanded for his irresponsible actions in doing so...he deleted the post and has apologized profusely for his mistake. Respect it or else..."
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4978 on: March 27, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4979 on: March 27, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »
5 stormtroopers started a band but they're yet to have a hit :neverusethis:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4980 on: March 27, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »
Also I read on www.nme.com that Disney have Star Wars movies planned until " AT LEAST 2030 ".

That's a minimum of 10 more years.

2017 - The Last Jedi
2018 - Han Solo
2019 - Episode 9
2020 - Untitled Anthology movie.

Those are the ones we definitely know about. Then there's gonna be 10 more years of movies - probably 1 a year. I know Rogue One wasn't a Skywalker family story -

- but it had Vader in and the Death Star and it didn't do anywhere near Force Awakens' box office. About Half in fact.

I am very interested to see how The Last Jedi performs. I expect it to do better than Rogue One but not as god as TFA.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4981 on: March 27, 2017, 10:40:32 AM »
- but it had Vader in and the Death Star and it didn't do anywhere near Force Awakens' box office. About Half in fact.

I am very interested to see how The Last Jedi performs. I expect it to do better than Rogue One but not as god as TFA.

So?  Why is that even a concern?  R1 was successful.  It did over $1b in the U.S.  Who cares whether it did as well as some other specific movie?  Are you suggesting they shouldn't keep going if the movies don't meet some specific artificial threshold?  If so, I don't get that.  I mean, Marvel has been putting out multiple movies per year as part of the MCU.  Yet R1 has almost doubled what the most recent MCU film (Doctor Strange) did.  And Doctor Strange hasn't come close to any of the top MCU films in terms of box office numbers.  By your logic, I assume Marvel should just call it quits?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4982 on: March 27, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »
ok calm down...

I was just OBSERVING. Just wondering how Episode 8 would perform and using Rogue One as an example. Obviously I have no vested interest. I'm just curious...

Also Rogue One didn't make $1bn in the US. It made just over $1bn Worldwide.

Just saying.

Also I was just WONDERING how The Last Jedi would perform. Whether it will do $2bn like TFA or $1bn like R1.

I just find it interesting.

Sheesh.

.....Also where Did I say They should quit ?! I only remarked that they're gonna be making SW movies for the next 15 years at least......

SHEESH...

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4983 on: March 27, 2017, 11:47:02 AM »
I really, really (really, really...) hope Disney manages to keep the Star Wars universe movies from became as cookie cutter as most of the MCU movies have become.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4984 on: March 27, 2017, 11:48:43 AM »
Just keep Zack Snyder away from them :rollin

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4985 on: March 27, 2017, 11:54:41 AM »
I really, really (really, really...) hope Disney manages to keep the Star Wars universe movies from became as cookie cutter as most of the MCU movies have become.

Actually, I've been pretty impressed with the MCU movies overall.  There's a lot of them, probably too many for some, but for the most part the characters are well done and interesting, and the way they cross over into each other's movies is pretty cool.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4986 on: March 27, 2017, 12:05:54 PM »
ok calm down...

I was just OBSERVING. Just wondering how Episode 8 would perform and using Rogue One as an example. Obviously I have no vested interest. I'm just curious...

Also Rogue One didn't make $1bn in the US. It made just over $1bn Worldwide.

Just saying.

Also I was just WONDERING how The Last Jedi would perform. Whether it will do $2bn like TFA or $1bn like R1.

I just find it interesting.

Sheesh.

.....Also where Did I say They should quit ?! I only remarked that they're gonna be making SW movies for the next 15 years at least......

SHEESH...

I was just wondering where you are going with that is all, since you seem to have gotten pretty wound up over it in the past and have implied that you somehow think R1 is a failure since it hasn't done as well in the box office as TFA.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4987 on: March 27, 2017, 01:00:30 PM »
Not a failure....

Just that it's *interesting* that Rogue One made half of Force Awakens. not a little less. But Half.

And I'm wondering how much The Last Jedi will make compared to those two.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4988 on: March 27, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »
Not a failure....

Just that it's *interesting* that Rogue One made half of Force Awakens. not a little less. But Half.

Okay.  But, again, so what?  I'm not sure why that means anything.  Again, using the Marvel comparison, Doctor Strange made less than half what Avengers or Age of Ultron made, and just barely above half of what Civil War and Iron Man III made.  Ant Man made even less than that.  And both Guardians and The Winter Soldier were in that range as well.  And yet, Marvel is slowing down or considering any of those movies a problem.  Why is it a problem for Star Wars?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4989 on: March 27, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »
:emo: I didn't say it was a problem. I just find box office interesting...

Like - why did half the people who saw Force Awakens go and see Rogue One ?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4990 on: March 27, 2017, 01:18:16 PM »
I would guess the vast majority of the difference boils down to two things:
1.  TFA being the first new Star Wars movie in a long time, hence the novelty and buzz about it.
2.  R1 getting less repeat views.  While I think I like R1 better, there is much more to analyze and dissect in terms of where the story is going in TFA, which encourages repeat views.  With R1, as good as it is, the story is self-contained are fairly straightforward, so I didn't really feel a strong urge to shell out money for another movie ticket after seeing it the first time.  I am content to wait for it on Blu Ray. 

To a lesser extent, I think R1 being a self-contained story that does not have an episode number assigned to it may have kept some non-die hards away too, but I don't know.  #1 and #2 above seem to explain it well enough for me that, although I have not seen any surveys proving that those are the main reasons, it would surprise me if they weren't.

I think the same can be said of the MCU movies I pointed out.  I think the big ones got a lot of repeat viewings.  And the other ones have lesser-known characters, so those who don't know Marvel nearly as well aren't necessarily going to buy a ticket to see a movie about characters they haven't built up a history with. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4991 on: March 27, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »
:emo: I didn't say it was a problem. I just find box office interesting...

Like - why did half the people who saw Force Awakens go and see Rogue One ?

I think TFA benefited from multiple viewings. I know I saw it (5) times in the theater. I don't think R1 had that multiple viewer audience.

I don't see how Disney isn't anything but thrilled that R1 'only' made $1 billion. No original cast for a draw, no jedi involvement other than a Darth Vadar cameo...I'd think that if they can make $750 million - $1 billion with each stand alone they would be ecstatic.

Oh and....IMO Episode 8 is going to surpass what TFA made. Especially since we know for certain that Luke will be more present. I can pretty much guarantee at least (3) viewings from me....and will probably see it more than that if it's anywhere near as good as TFA was....which if I had to bet I think it will be.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4992 on: March 27, 2017, 01:20:47 PM »
We'll see :p it's already "cool" to destroy Force Awakens.

But that's mostly online trolls.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4993 on: March 27, 2017, 01:36:58 PM »
We'll see :p it's already "cool" to destroy Force Awakens.

But that's mostly online trolls.

yep. There's nothing wrong with TFA. IMO it was handled as well as it could have been and it's a good movie to boot.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4994 on: March 27, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »
I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I just wish JJ put that much care and attention to detail into his Trek movies.

I saw it twice. My favourite scene was the Falcon chase on Jakku. Some really nice ariel photography ( albeit completely CG ).

It was like a Jim Cameron sequence. You saw everything that was happening in nice wide shots and not extreme close-up shaky cam like Transformers.

---

I only saw it the once but I can't remember any really memorable exciting scenes from Rogue One.

( no not THAT one. Never been a Vader fan. . . )

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4995 on: March 31, 2017, 12:34:56 AM »
Less repeat views of Rogue One might have to do something with the ending of the movie (being a 'downer' and all). Don't know, just throwing it in there.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4996 on: April 01, 2017, 05:53:49 AM »
VERY late to the party... but I finally saw Rogue One.

I just loved it! THIS is how you do a prequel, IMHO. The story works just fine, it brilliantly covers up one of the major head-scratchers of the original movie (Why the hell they made the Death Star so vulnerable?), and ties in perfectly into A New Hope.

Since none of the characters are referenced in the later films, the idea that they all may die crossed my mind during the movie, but it was kinda bleak to actually see it happen. They all went down as heroes however, their sacrifice will be remembered.

The cameos were fine for me, I was afraid about all the comments about the uncanny valley but Tarkin looked fine to me. He was essential to the plot, so he had to show up quite some times, but the Darth Vader scenes were top notch. He gets only two scenes (three if we consider one where he just appears doing nothing) and both scenes are amazing.

His welcoming of "Dude second to Tarkin" (forgot the name of the villain that oversees the Death Star construction), with his silhouette shadowing him before appearing in front of him (and while the Imperial March plays beneath) is a reintroduction of the character as iconic as it can get. And when in the final fighting scene he mows down, alone against 20 or so, the entire rebel forces is so exciting that I was essentially rooting for him, the adrenaline rush comparing to the one of a moshpit during a concert. When he force-chokes someone to the ceiling and then stabs him right there with the lightsaber, that's pure sheer badassery that reminds everyone of why he's one of the best villains of the history of cinema.

And then the final scene, with Leila appearing just to take the plans and saying that they got "hope", and it's a waste of bandwith to point out that it's a call back to the title of the first movie... coupled with the knowledge that Carrie Fisher died... that was just the perfect bittersweet way to end the movie. And I said earlier, THAT's how you do ap prequel.

Ask people the major faults of the prequel trilogy - they will criticize the dialogue, parts of the plot, the CGI work and Jar Jar Binks. For me one of the major faults is that it didn't connect well into the original movies.Watch the prequel trilogy scenes between Anakin and Obi Wan, and then watch their meeting aboard the Death Star in A New Hope... for me, personally, they don't match. At all. Even the dialogue is off, "When I left you I was but the apprentice"... dude. HE left you. For dead. To burn away on the shores of a lava lake with all your limbs chopped off. They had a point of arrival, and they missed it with the prequel trilogy. Rogue One didn't.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4997 on: April 07, 2017, 06:08:07 AM »
TFA: Bad Lip Reading

https://youtu.be/l6Rgbe0Wzq8

Very funny.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4998 on: April 07, 2017, 06:22:04 AM »

Very funny.

"They got a sick blouse, on sale!"
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4999 on: April 07, 2017, 06:30:39 AM »
I would like to see a Darth Vader movie where its John Wick style. Battle goes south on an enemy planet, Vader's stranded, up against 1000's. Kicks ass for 2 hours

Or it could be maul or someone else. But I could dig something like that.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5000 on: April 07, 2017, 06:39:10 AM »
"They got a sick blouse, on sale!"

"Six kittens in a bag of water?"  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5001 on: April 07, 2017, 07:05:51 AM »
I would like to see a Darth Vader movie where its John Wick style. Battle goes south on an enemy planet, Vader's stranded, up against 1000's. Kicks ass for 2 hours

I'm in!!!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5002 on: April 07, 2017, 07:28:40 AM »

Very funny.

Very funny, but Ren's finger puppets were kinda lame.  I don't remember BLR ever working with anything but actual footage from the movie before.  Or if they have, it was much more subtle than this.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5003 on: April 07, 2017, 07:30:58 AM »

Very funny.

Very funny, but Ren's finger puppets were kinda lame.  I don't remember BLR ever working with anything but actual footage from the movie before.  Or if they have, it was much more subtle than this.

I'm pretty sure they've done it before. I couldn't tell you in which one, but it's not a new thing. I thought it turned out ok. I find their jokes are often a bit hit and miss, depending on what they're able to come up with to match the lips. This one mostly turned out really good.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5004 on: April 07, 2017, 07:35:09 AM »

I'm in!!!  :metal

I want to see a movie about the history of the sith and old school jedi. I could easily see this being a three movie arc that sets up TPM.