Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455622 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #4830 on: February 22, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »
It's kinda the same thing as the entire prequel trilogy.  We knew, in a general sense, the backstory of Anakin Skywalker, how he was betrayed and murdered by Darth Vader (from a certain point of view), but seeing how it all happened was an opportunity for some good storytelling.  Okay, that's not what we got, but the idea of filling in the blanks is not a bad idea in and of itself.

The Kessel Run could be really, really cool to see, an amazing FX spectacle, and we'll finally get the canonical explanation as to why the run itself is measured in terms of distance, not time.  The game in which the Falcon changed hands could also be very cool.  We imagine them playing poker or something, but we have no idea what the game was, do we?  And hopefully also a random adventure or two involving Han.  I personally would like to see the gig where he ended up dumping his load of Spice, which got Jabba so upset, because I'm a huge Dune fan (the books, not the movies) and always liked the Dune shout-out.

Again, it could be very cool to finally get all these details.  Is it necessary?  No.  But for those who can't get enough Star Wars, it'll be out there, and presumably the "quality control" folks at Disney will be harder on this story than Lucas was on the prequels, and we hopefully get something good.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4831 on: February 22, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »
The game in which the Falcon changed hands could also be very cool.  We imagine them playing poker or something, but we have no idea what the game was, do we?

https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sabacc
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4832 on: February 22, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
There's ALWAYS room for a grey area, whether we can subjectively envision it or not.

yeah....you're probably right. It just seems to me that this movie is going to be Incredible or forgettable. But then again....for better or worse that's how I tend to look at things, the extreme.   :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4833 on: February 22, 2017, 11:15:08 AM »
It's kinda the same thing as the entire prequel trilogy.  We knew, in a general sense, the backstory of Anakin Skywalker, how he was betrayed and murdered by Darth Vader (from a certain point of view), but seeing how it all happened was an opportunity for some good storytelling.  Okay, that's not what we got, but the idea of filling in the blanks is not a bad idea in and of itself.

The Kessel Run could be really, really cool to see, an amazing FX spectacle, and we'll finally get the canonical explanation as to why the run itself is measured in terms of distance, not time.  The game in which the Falcon changed hands could also be very cool.  We imagine them playing poker or something, but we have no idea what the game was, do we?  And hopefully also a random adventure or two involving Han.  I personally would like to see the gig where he ended up dumping his load of Spice, which got Jabba so upset, because I'm a huge Dune fan (the books, not the movies) and always liked the Dune shout-out.

Again, it could be very cool to finally get all these details.  Is it necessary?  No.  But for those who can't get enough Star Wars, it'll be out there, and presumably the "quality control" folks at Disney will be harder on this story than Lucas was on the prequels, and we hopefully get something good.

You make some good points.....if those 'iconic' scenarios are done in a way to where it only adds to the lore.....then sure it'd be awesome. I just worry that by this point 'we' as fans have built up such an image or expectation of Han Solo that they are facing a tough deal attempting to add to that character.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4834 on: February 22, 2017, 01:02:05 PM »
The game in which the Falcon changed hands could also be very cool.  We imagine them playing poker or something, but we have no idea what the game was, do we?

https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sabacc

That had escaped me.  But the article seems to go into a lot of detail, certainly more than we got in the movie.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4835 on: February 22, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »
If it didn't happen on screen, it didn't happen.

Unless it happened in a book since Disney took over.  That counts.

Also, read that a new novel is, in a way, making the Star Wars Christmas Special canon.

lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4836 on: February 22, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »
lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4837 on: February 22, 2017, 01:51:47 PM »
If it didn't happen on screen, it didn't happen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4838 on: February 22, 2017, 01:54:55 PM »
https://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-holiday-special-canon/

For those of you who haven’t endured it, the special takes place on the Wookiee home planet of Kashyyyk, where Chewbacca’s family eagerly awaits his arrival to celebrate “Life Day.” Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher all put in awkward, embarrassed appearances. Art Carney, Bea Arthur, and Jefferson Starship all stop by to say hello.

One of the key characters in the special is Lumpy, Chewbacca’s young son

Empire’s End features...a chapter set on Kashyyyk, where a young Wookiee named Lumpawaroo battles the Empire’s forces to free captives from a labor camp. After being cornered by a vicious Imperial officer, Lumpawaroo is rescued in the nick of time by his father…Chewbacca. And then the victorious father and son “sing a song of family.”

This is so awesome. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4839 on: February 22, 2017, 03:02:29 PM »
Chewy, and his son Lumpy.  Seriously?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4840 on: February 22, 2017, 04:15:04 PM »
You had to be there.  ...or maybe not.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4841 on: February 22, 2017, 05:44:16 PM »
I vaguely remember watching the Star Wars Christmas Special on TV with my family.  I hadn't seen Star Wars at the time (I was in my teenaged "if it's popular, it must suck" phase and thus anything Star Wars for years) so most of it meant very little to me anyway, and I sure as hell don't remember much about it.

So I was there, but it didn't help.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4842 on: February 22, 2017, 06:22:03 PM »
Chewy, and his son Lumpy.  Seriously?

And Bea Arthur!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #4843 on: February 22, 2017, 07:09:49 PM »
throw in Phyllis diller with bea and that's a fap fest

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4845 on: February 25, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »
Haven't had this rumor crop up in a while.

https://www.blastr.com/2017-2-24/rumor-day-unaltered-original-star-wars-trilogy-hit-blu-ray-40th-anniversary

If It happens, I would buy it day one. Hell, I might even buy a second one, just in gratitude.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4846 on: February 25, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
Yeah i'm not the biggest SW fan but if Disney put out a Blu Ray of the original theatrical versions - digitally remastered - yup i'd buy it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4847 on: February 25, 2017, 07:41:51 PM »
Haven't had this rumor crop up in a while.

https://www.blastr.com/2017-2-24/rumor-day-unaltered-original-star-wars-trilogy-hit-blu-ray-40th-anniversary

If It happens, I would buy it day one. Hell, I might even buy a second one, just in gratitude.

It sounds like its from a reliable source, so hopefully it happens.  I really want them and it will be a day one buy for me too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4848 on: February 25, 2017, 09:03:04 PM »
Saw it a few days ago, but I'm pretty sure it's already been debunked again. Apparently the new scan was of the SE.
I really hope it's true, but it's the boy who cried wolf of Star Wars rumours at this point.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4849 on: February 25, 2017, 09:30:41 PM »
Yep.  I'll believe it when I'm holding a copy in my hands, and not a moment before.  Anything short of that -- announcements, pre-orders, etc. -- mean nothing because any of that can change.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4850 on: February 25, 2017, 09:35:20 PM »
I hope they release another version of it.

Where they have Hayden Christianson do VO for all of Vader's lines in the trilogy. Also I want a big dance number in Empire.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4851 on: February 28, 2017, 08:01:19 PM »
Just download the Despecialized Editions. Full HD versions of the unaltered trilogy.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4852 on: March 03, 2017, 08:22:06 AM »
So when did people start sticking up for the prequels ?

Was it around the same time that JJ Abrams was announced for Episode 7 ?

:angry: JJ Abrams ? Fuck it's gonna be shit - even the prequels would be better...

And now since Rogue One came out -  it's the cool thing online to say Force Awakens was shit after all.

I guarantee that when Episode 8 comes out - that will be fuckin awesome and Rogue One will now be shit.

Oh internet...:lolpalm:

i'm not an expert on the difference between objective and subjective...But The Prequels are just bad films. Poorly made, edited, written, shot, acted. They are just bad films.

Never mind Star Wars.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4853 on: March 03, 2017, 08:28:44 AM »
i'm not an expert on the difference between objective and subjective...But The Prequels are just bad films. Poorly made, edited, written, shot, acted. They are just bad films.

IF LUKE COULD FIND THAT THERE WAS STILL GOOD IN VADER, YOU CAN FIND GOOD IN THE PREQUELS!!!

...but yeah.  Overall, not very good films.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4854 on: March 03, 2017, 08:30:50 AM »
It's true that they are shot and blocked like a TV show.

It's so flat and un-dramatic. Everyone just sits around or chats in a medium shot.

Is it too much to ask for just one dutch angle at least ? :p

The falcon chase on Jakku alone shows how JJ is a better director than Lucas. It's exciting and well choreographed and is paced well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4855 on: March 03, 2017, 08:41:06 AM »
Yeah, as I've said before, Lucas had the bones for a really good story.  He just wasn't the right guy to execute it, and the consequence is a set of movies that just fell flat and severely missed their potential. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4856 on: March 03, 2017, 08:46:24 AM »
Also - I don't think Kathleen Kennedy was going to give JJ carte blanche on The Force Awakens.

On the prequels - Lucas just surrounded himself with sycophants.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4857 on: March 03, 2017, 09:26:52 AM »
Of course.  Don't get me started on one of my "I'm George Frickin' Lucas!" rants.  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4858 on: March 03, 2017, 11:21:50 AM »
So when did people start sticking up for the prequels ?
I've always stuck up for them.

Well, Episode I was mostly rubbish.

And ok Anakin's performance in Episode II was really bad.

But otherwise I liked them just fine. Episode III I found broadly on a par with some of the OT, episode II a little below but still good overall.

Episode V remains by a long way the best of the lot.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4859 on: March 03, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
I find Episode II the worst. The political stuff in any of these films is impenetrable and the romance sub plot was awful.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4860 on: March 03, 2017, 02:04:20 PM »
My current rankings

V
VII
III
IV
Rogue One
VI
II
I

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4861 on: March 03, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »
Do we HAVE TO rank everything over, and over, and over again?  I mean, seriously!   :censored

Rogue I
The Force Awakens
V
VI
IV
III
II
I

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4862 on: March 03, 2017, 03:05:20 PM »
Wow Rogue One better than all the others ?

I enjoyed the hell out of TFA. I found Rogue One pretty boring. But not prequel trilogy boring. Just Ehhhhh...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4863 on: March 03, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »
Wow Rogue One better than all the others ?

I enjoyed the hell out of TFA. I found Rogue One pretty boring. But not prequel trilogy boring. Just Ehhhhh...
I loved it. Granted, I have only seen it once, so it still has "shiny new car smell," and I haven't had the chance to subconsciously dissect every little detail as I have with most of the others.  So I recognize that it may slip a little bit.  But I honestly don't see it slipping below the #3 spot. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4864 on: March 03, 2017, 03:08:18 PM »
This will surprise people but I found the fan service in R1 more egregious than in TFA.