Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455596 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #4795 on: February 13, 2017, 11:48:21 AM »
Also, I realized today that the guy hired to direct Episode IX is the same guy who directed Jurassic World, and now I am deeply worried.
Hmm. He also did Safety Not Guaranteed, which I enjoyed, but is not in any way similar to a Star Wars movie.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4796 on: February 14, 2017, 12:05:32 PM »
I enjoyed Jurassic World but I get why some people didn't. But with that said, I haven't heard that many complain about his directing. Even some of the people who disliked the film thought the directing was fine and even admitted to capturing some of that Jurassic Park-magic, but had problems with the script or certain plot points. While he's not on a level of a Rian Johnson, I think he will deliver an enjoyable movie, and hopefully with a good script it will be better than Jurassic World (which I still enjoyed).

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4797 on: February 14, 2017, 12:12:35 PM »
Yeah, I think the script, more than anything else, was the issue with Jurassic World. I don't think it was a great movie by any means, but it excited me more than any Jurassic movie since the original.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4798 on: February 14, 2017, 12:16:30 PM »
Jurassic World > Jurassic Park 2 > Jurassic Park 3

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4799 on: February 15, 2017, 01:07:21 AM »
I also hope that the color grading of Jurassic World wasn't his decision. One might think that that doesn't matter, but it plays a pretty big part in the overall tone of a movie. And with Jurassic World's orange-and-teal grading it made it all seem fake and lacking in realistic weight. In comparison, the original uses natural color grading, and it looks all the more realistic for it.

Plus the script is freakin' ridiculous, of course. And everything was CGI so a lot of it looked fake to begin with.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4800 on: February 15, 2017, 06:37:10 AM »
I really enjoyed Jurassic World. It was an entertaining film about dinosaurs eating people.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4801 on: February 15, 2017, 07:37:19 AM »
I liked it in the cinema. I haven't seen it since.

However - I predict that The Han Solo movie will do much less business than Rogue One.

R1 featured Vader and that was the big draw I think.

Does anyone want to see Han Solo being played by someone other than Harrison Ford ?

They'll probably put loads of wink wink stuff in the trailer to get people in like a young Greedo or Jabba etc...

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4802 on: February 15, 2017, 09:07:42 AM »
However - I predict that The Han Solo movie will do much less business than Rogue One.

R1 featured Vader and that was the big draw I think.

I think you're probably right - R1 had Vader, and it was set in familiar territory to appeal to fans of the OT. The Han Solo movie is a riskier prospect, as it's going to be recasting an iconic character. (Two, if you consider Lando to be iconic too.)

I've said it before in this thread, but this movie might end up telling a story I don't think needs to be told. There's a danger of losing a lot of the enigmatic qualities of the Han Solo character by going back and showing every little thing that happened to him, to get him to the point where he's introduced in Ep IV.

I'm happy enough knowing the Kessel Run is something that happened, and that he won the Millennium Falcon from Lando in some sort of gambling match. If those things are just touched on in this movie, as part of a bigger story, then fine, but if the whole movie is made up of bits that have already been alluded to in other movies, then it's going to fall flat for me..

Does anyone want to see Han Solo being played by someone other than Harrison Ford ?

Not particularly, but I'm prepared to give this new guy a chance.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4803 on: February 15, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »
I will definitely see the Han Solo movie, but I'm much more interested in seeing Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian than Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, and actually I would be more interested in a Lando film than a Han Solo film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4804 on: February 15, 2017, 09:31:36 AM »
I will definitely see the Han Solo movie, but I'm much more interested in seeing Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian than Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, and actually I would be more interested in a Lando film than a Han Solo film.

I agree and I think they'll be smart to market it as sci-fi buddy film more than an origin story for Han Solo.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4805 on: February 17, 2017, 04:53:11 AM »
Didn't see it mentioned in the last posts - translations for The Last Jedi in foreign languages are popping up.

They reveal something that the neutral english form couldn't: it's plural. The Last Jedi is not one (Luke?), they're more than one (Luke, Rey and maybe more?).

So if the word Jedi had a plural form, the title would have been The last Jedis.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #4806 on: February 17, 2017, 07:53:45 AM »
Very interesting. I wonder then if it refers to Kylo and Luke or Kylo, Luke, and Rey.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4807 on: February 17, 2017, 09:49:34 AM »
It seems that the title has been translated to German, Spanish, French, and Portuguese using the plural form of "Jedi".

Link

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4808 on: February 17, 2017, 09:55:29 AM »
THAT WAS SO TWO POSTS AGO, ORBERT. TRY TO KEEP UP.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4809 on: February 17, 2017, 10:00:35 AM »
I need reading comprehension.  I saw what was posted before, but thought that it was still undecided.

Besides, I posted a Link, so my post is better.  Always cite your sources.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4810 on: February 17, 2017, 06:33:55 PM »
Didn't see it mentioned in the last posts - translations for The Last Jedi in foreign languages are popping up.

They reveal something that the neutral english form couldn't: it's plural. The Last Jedi is not one (Luke?), they're more than one (Luke, Rey and maybe more?).

So if the word Jedi had a plural form, the title would have been The last Jedis.

That makes sense. "Jedis" sounds weird
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4811 on: February 19, 2017, 08:17:51 PM »
Probably old, definitely bad, but I still laughed.

I love that look on her face.  She is so effing cute.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4812 on: February 19, 2017, 09:31:15 PM »
I've seen the picture before, but that's the first time I've seen the caption. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4813 on: February 20, 2017, 01:25:22 AM »
I bought the recent Star Wars Humble Bundle and love it! So many awesome titles to play and replay (only in the case of Rogue Squadron/The Force Unleashed and KOTOR). That said, I already had KOTOR II in my library, so does anyone want a free copy? You don't need to play the first one to get the story, and unless you have an ancient PC, pretty much all computers can run it. Awesome RPG with some fantastic lore, music and gameplay. It's obviously a bit dated but it's nothing too archaic, and in my opinion it is well beyond worth the dated visuals and slightly clunky gameplay to experience the story and great adventure.

Anyway, even if you just wanna try it, just give me a PM, all I ask for is a reach around.

No but seriously please someone take it so it's not just sitting there not being used, it's a free game. All my friends have played it or still have it so...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4815 on: February 20, 2017, 08:16:57 PM »
I bought the recent Star Wars Humble Bundle and love it! So many awesome titles to play and replay (only in the case of Rogue Squadron/The Force Unleashed and KOTOR). That said, I already had KOTOR II in my library, so does anyone want a free copy? You don't need to play the first one to get the story, and unless you have an ancient PC, pretty much all computers can run it. Awesome RPG with some fantastic lore, music and gameplay. It's obviously a bit dated but it's nothing too archaic, and in my opinion it is well beyond worth the dated visuals and slightly clunky gameplay to experience the story and great adventure.

Anyway, even if you just wanna try it, just give me a PM, all I ask for is a reach around.

No but seriously please someone take it so it's not just sitting there not being used, it's a free game. All my friends have played it or still have it so...
I would take it, since I don't have it attached to my Steam account, but I've played it before and I'd rather it go to someone who hasn't.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4816 on: February 21, 2017, 12:45:06 PM »
If you play KOTOR2, make sure you get the patch for it. I can't remember what it is called, but supposedly it fills in some holes and gaps in the original release. Thanks also for reminding me I stopped playing this game for some reason. I don't think I was too far in, but got stuck or frustrated or something.

Also, does it seem to anyone else like Woody just happened to be filming a movie in a nearby studio and crashed the picture?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4817 on: February 21, 2017, 12:46:03 PM »
With the right hair and clothes - he could almost pass for a younger Harrison Ford.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4818 on: February 21, 2017, 02:56:36 PM »
Except for Woody (and Chewbacca), I don't recognize anyone in that picture.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4819 on: February 21, 2017, 03:03:23 PM »
There's that one girl from Terminator Genisys and Game Of Thrones

Black guy far right is Donald Glover ( the Martian )

I think the short haired guy far left is one of the directors and check shirt guy could be the other director.

Directors Phil Lord and and Chris Miller

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4820 on: February 21, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
I don't recognize anyone either, but that has always (or, mostly) been a trademark of SW casting.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4821 on: February 21, 2017, 04:46:32 PM »
True.  If it wasn't for Chewbacca, I would have had no idea what the movie even was.

The girl in the white sweater is cute.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4822 on: February 21, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »
I recognize 5/8 of them.

Oh snap!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4823 on: February 21, 2017, 05:13:50 PM »
True.  If it wasn't for Chewbacca, I would have had no idea what the movie even was.

The girl in the white sweater is cute.

She is from Game of Thrones and Terminator Genisys.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4824 on: February 21, 2017, 05:22:24 PM »
Never seen either of them.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4825 on: February 22, 2017, 01:06:49 AM »
Yep, that's Danaerys.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4826 on: February 22, 2017, 02:47:38 AM »
Yep, that's Danaerys.

Yeah she's looks totally different brunette.....

...and with clothes on.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4827 on: February 22, 2017, 07:23:33 AM »
I love star wars and it's amazing that a single photo can get me excited for a film. That being said I don't love casting choice for Han. We'll see I guess.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4828 on: February 22, 2017, 08:58:48 AM »
I love star wars and it's amazing that a single photo can get me excited for a film. That being said I don't love casting choice for Han. We'll see I guess.

I don't envy that actor. On one hand it's an opportunity of a lifetime.....on the other hand you're essentially replacing a role that is the very definition of ICONIC, where every fan of SW has a certain expectation of 'who' Han is....and now you're expected to 'be' him....and don't F it up.

Disney is taking a massive risk in even telling a 'young' Han Solo story. As was mentioned earlier in the thread.....do we really need to see the Kessel Run or the card game where he won the Falcon? I think it better those things left to the imagination and 'lore' of the SW world. I'm cautiously optimistic about the film but there's a chance this movie blows up in their face, there's a fine line of it being Great or Horrible. I don't think there's grey area....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4829 on: February 22, 2017, 09:51:21 AM »
There's ALWAYS room for a grey area, whether we can subjectively envision it or not.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."