Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455479 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #4760 on: February 08, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »
With it being Star Wars - they can put out a teaser in March and people will obsess over it for 2 months and Red Letter Media will put out more content satirising the reactions etc. :biggrin:

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #4761 on: February 08, 2017, 06:34:51 PM »
Disney announced yesterday that Star Wars Land at both Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida and Disneyland Park in California will be built by 2019!!

I figured this would be the timetable for the completion of these new areas since the last Star Wars saga film is to be released in 2019. As a big Disney fan, I'm not nervous at all. Cars Land at Disney California Adventure is a testament on how the Disney Imagineers treat licensed products in the theme parks. The theming and attention to detail in every Disney park i've been too is incredible. I have no doubt that Star Wars Land, when it opens, it going to be one of a kind.

Construction began around last summer in both resorts. Disney's Hollywood Studios is actually having the task of building TWO new themed areas at the same time, one which is Star Wars Land and the other is Toy Story Land.

I was just thinking earlier when I read the announcement:  "I remember seeing the construction when I was there in December, which I could see from just a few feet from where I met Accelerando."  :D

:tup :tup :tup

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4762 on: February 09, 2017, 02:21:28 AM »
What do you guys make of Rogue One's Box Office?   Gone over the Billion mark Worldwide, but unlikely to take much more now.  It's taken roughly half of what 'The Force Awakens' took and it's also taken less then the last Transformers movie, Pirates : On Stranger Tides and Iron Man 3 which is very surprising, isn't it?  It's a strange one as it's taken a Billion and is currently the 21st biggest movie ever, but yet I can't help feel it's under performed.  And it's not like it got a critical panning either.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4763 on: February 09, 2017, 02:56:33 AM »
It's not a "main" Star Wars movie. It's one of 3 spin offs.

$1bn is still huge considering it's budget.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4764 on: February 09, 2017, 03:42:20 AM »
It's not comparable to a movie sequel like those listed, despite being in the Star Wars franchise. Cracking a billion is quite a feat no matter how you look at it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4765 on: February 09, 2017, 03:46:09 AM »
Rogue One was pretty much guaranteed $1bn in this day and age.

The Last Jedi will probably make more as it's a Skywalker saga and the sequel to The Force Awakens.

After that I expect to see them slowly drop off.

Episode 9 will probably crack $1bn but I don't expect Han Solo to make it. It's a Star Wars film but maybe a bit niche.

Especially considering it'e being written & directed by Lord & Miller who made The Lego Movie, 51 Jump Street and Cloudy with a Chance Of Meatballs ( the first one ).

Their style is very frenetic and zany.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4766 on: February 09, 2017, 05:41:29 AM »

True.  But we live in a world where Jurassic World took 1.7 Million.  The 'Jurassic' franchise was in decline at the turn of the millennium and part of it's early success was based on technology (like Avatar) when the dinosaur on screen in 1993 were jaw dropping, fast forward to now and those effects are par for the course for any effect laden CGI blockbuster.   Star Wars is the biggest movie franchise of all time and regardless of whether Rogue One was a spin off or not it still carried the Star Wars brand and tells a Star Wars story.  To only just creep over 1 Billlion (as silly as it sounds) has got to be a little underwhelming, no?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4767 on: February 09, 2017, 06:15:28 AM »
Probably because it featured none of the classic cast except for a few scenes with vader.

I'd wager that without any Vader at all - it would not have got $1bn.

People just wanted to see that final scene with Vader being a sith master.

The film up til the final skirmish was kinda bland really.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4768 on: February 09, 2017, 07:08:01 AM »

True.  But we live in a world where Jurassic World took 1.7 Million.  The 'Jurassic' franchise was in decline at the turn of the millennium and part of it's early success was based on technology (like Avatar) when the dinosaur on screen in 1993 were jaw dropping, fast forward to now and those effects are par for the course for any effect laden CGI blockbuster.   Star Wars is the biggest movie franchise of all time and regardless of whether Rogue One was a spin off or not it still carried the Star Wars brand and tells a Star Wars story.  To only just creep over 1 Billlion (as silly as it sounds) has got to be a little underwhelming, no?
Don't agree at all. As I've pointed out before, most franchise films and especially Episode VII are continuations of the main storyline of each series, with a big element of mystery and what happens next (arguably less so for Jurassic World, but that also had plenty of family fun). Rogue One is a story which everyone already knows the ending of, so it has much less draw towards having to see it in theatres. It was also clearly going to be more serious from the outset (or "darker", if you like) and so won't have had the same family fun pull factor. It's actually a very niche film, and so to achieve $1bn just shows the strength of the Star Wars brand/franchise.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4769 on: February 09, 2017, 07:34:07 AM »
I honestly can't believe you can a Star Wars movie being niche, well maybe if it was a touring film about the Cantina band :)

As for the knowing the ending, well a fair few people I spoke to were surprised by it.  Also knowing the ending didn't really effect Titanic's BO!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4770 on: February 09, 2017, 08:19:14 AM »
I honestly can't believe you can a Star Wars movie being niche, well maybe if it was a touring film about the Cantina band :)
For the main Episodes, I entirely agree with you. But this is a spin-off, made very clear by the title (I do sometimes wonder if it might have done even better if they'd called it "Star Wars: Rogue One", rather than the other way round). Having Star Wars in the name doesn't mean it's not niche, like all the massive amount of TV shows, books and video games that are also Star Wars but are similarly niche.

As for the knowing the ending, well a fair few people I spoke to were surprised by it. 
In terms of the fate of the characters, yeah that was less obvious though still quite a lot of people I think correctly guessed/assumed where it would go. But in terms of overall plot, we know they succeed because that's exactly how the original film starts.

Also knowing the ending didn't really effect Titanic's BO!
Indeed, and personally I think that film massively punched above its weight.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4771 on: February 09, 2017, 08:35:04 AM »

I think there was a really strong demand for Jurassic World, though, I wouldn't try to diminish it. All the kids that saw the original when they were young and have now grown up have been dying for a GOOD followup, and Jurassic World at least looked like it could deliver, even if it wasn't amazing. The original Jurassic Park was a movie that REALLY stuck with kids when it came out in 1993.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4772 on: February 09, 2017, 09:17:47 AM »
To only just creep over 1 Billlion (as silly as it sounds) has got to be a little underwhelming, no?
No.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4773 on: February 09, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »
$1,042,305,309.00

Is not underwhelming. it's a shit ton of money that none of us will ever see in our lifetime.

One Billion, forty two million, three hundred and nine dollars.

It's One thousand dollars multiplied by  one thousand a thousand times.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4774 on: February 09, 2017, 10:32:27 AM »
One Billion, forty two million, three hundred and nine dollars.

It's One thousand dollars multiplied by  one thousand a thousand times.
Er, no it's not. :lol It's one thousand dollars multiplied by one thousand two times.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4775 on: February 09, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »
$1,000 x 1,000 = $1m

$1m x 1,000 = $1bn

- - - -

$1,000 x 1,000 = $1m

$1m x 2 = $2m

$1,000 to the power of 2 is $1bn but that's not what I meant.  :p

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4776 on: February 09, 2017, 12:29:59 PM »
Could you imagine Star Wars meets Jurassic World, The Degoba system with dinosaurs. Luke Skywalker decapitates a velociraptor with a lightsaber. Kylo Ren tries to use the force to slow down a T-rex but it doesn't work,  etc.  Minoch interbreed with pterodactyls,  mass hysteria!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4777 on: February 09, 2017, 12:33:22 PM »
STAR WARS
THE T REX AWAKENS

...Too busy were you with wondering whether awaken t rex you can

Never stop to wonder whether awaken t rex...you should...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4778 on: February 09, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »
$1,000 x 1,000 = $1m

$1m x 1,000 = $1bn
Yes, but that's not what you said. :P

Sorry, I'm both a pedant and a geek.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4779 on: February 09, 2017, 05:48:35 PM »
STAR WARS
THE T REX AWAKENS

...Too busy were you with wondering whether awaken t rex you can

Never stop to wonder whether awaken t rex...you should...

Clever! Yoda Meets Malcolm..  :corn
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4780 on: February 12, 2017, 03:02:24 PM »
Just had a thought...

The Han Solo movie that's coming next year... There's bound to be a mention of the Kessel Run in it...Wonder if they'll try to reverse engineer how it makes sense being a unit of distance not time.

" This ship can do the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs ! "

" What's a Parsec ? "

"......I dunno....."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4781 on: February 12, 2017, 03:28:54 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the kessel run is a major plot point. I would rather them not, but these prequel movies are almost always based on giving answers to questions that really didn't need answering.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4782 on: February 12, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the kessel run is a major plot point. I would rather them not, but these prequel movies are almost always based on giving answers to questions that really didn't need answering.

Yes like all 3 prequels ;D

But it's Lord & Miller so it'll be a lot more fun than Rogue One. Lego Movie and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs are both hilarious.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4783 on: February 12, 2017, 03:32:38 PM »
Yeah, I'd be kind of surprised if it WASN'T a plot point. Meet Chewie, get Millennium Falcon from Lando, Kessel Run... those seem like the major things to be covered.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4784 on: February 12, 2017, 03:36:09 PM »
Some terrible wink wink joke about shooting first...

If unpronounceable actor wasn't playing Han - who would you have chosen ?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4785 on: February 12, 2017, 03:46:08 PM »
If unpronounceable actor wasn't playing Han - who would you have chosen ?
I don't know if I can think of any great choices. If he was lesser known and hadn't done some of his other roles already, Chris Pratt maybe could've done it. But everyone would just see Chris Pratt at this point. I think you need a lesser name.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4786 on: February 12, 2017, 04:07:29 PM »

Yes like all 3 prequels ;D

But it's Lord & Miller so it'll be a lot more fun than Rogue One. Lego Movie and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs are both hilarious.
OK I didn't realize The Lego Movie guys were part of this. That gives me more hope, but I still think it is extremely unnecessary.

Alden Ehrenreich seems fine. Glad they didn't go with Chris Pratt, who plays Chris Pratt in everything. He would be good in an Indiana Jones reboot though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4787 on: February 12, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »
The one thing I really hope is that the Han Solo movie doesn't directly tie into A New Hope like Rouge One did. I could see them ending the film with Chewie and Han walking into the Mos Eisley cantina.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4788 on: February 13, 2017, 12:14:05 AM »
The Kessel run was (in now admitedly non-canon lore) a smugler's route through a cluster of black holes. One had to keep a certain distance away from them not to be pulled in, but the more skilled the pilot the closer to the black holes he could navigate, making the kessel run shorter.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4789 on: February 13, 2017, 01:52:35 AM »
The one thing I really hope is that the Han Solo movie doesn't directly tie into A New Hope like Rouge One did. I could see them ending the film with Chewie and Han walking into the Mos Eisley cantina.
I hope they show Han in his early dealings smuggling for Jabba the Hutt, see how they got along or what transpired. I also want to know who the hell Bantha Fodder is??!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4790 on: February 13, 2017, 07:50:35 AM »
I also want to know who the hell Bantha Fodder is??!!
That's not a name.

bantha fodder

fodder for a bantha

Banthas are the large horned animals shown being ridden by Tusken Raiders in the Star Wars films.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4791 on: February 13, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
The Kessel run was (in now admitedly non-canon lore) a smugler's route through a cluster of black holes. One had to keep a certain distance away from them not to be pulled in, but the more skilled the pilot the closer to the black holes he could navigate, making the kessel run shorter.

That's the explanation I've heard as well, and while non-canon, it does make sense.  I mean, it's still a bit contrived, a way of explaining how one could make a certain trip in a certain distance rather than time, but within the rules of sci-fi, it works.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4792 on: February 13, 2017, 09:21:44 AM »
I'm finding it difficult to drum up much enthusiasm for a Han Solo spinoff movie. Maybe that will change when we get to see the first trailer, but we'll see...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4793 on: February 13, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »
I'm finding it difficult to drum up much enthusiasm for a Han Solo spinoff movie. Maybe that will change when we get to see the first trailer, but we'll see...
Same here.  But I also just keep telling myself that I felt exactly that way about Rogue I as well before I saw the trailer, so who knows?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4794 on: February 13, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »
I agree. I'm all for them continuing with the episodes, but I've never been too sold the idea of the stand-alones. Rogue One turned out alright, but if given the choice I would probably unmake it if it meant that they'd just stick to doing the episodes.

Also, I realized today that the guy hired to direct Episode IX is the same guy who directed Jurassic World, and now I am deeply worried.