Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455473 times)

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #315 on: January 01, 2011, 12:40:20 AM »
this is what they call filler
and it's no where near as good as the kind they put in Twinkies
hmmmmmmmmm...i'd like to fuck my cat

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #316 on: January 01, 2011, 12:42:06 AM »
I love that man so much :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #317 on: January 01, 2011, 12:48:50 AM »
Short version:  It's weird, maybe too weird in a couple moments, but accurate and funny.  Just don't expect more of the same.

Longer version:  I more than kinda hated all the stuff with his cat.  I was just grossed out and it didn't even make sense.  The Nadine thing was eh, but at least we know Plinkett will live on, which is what I really wanted.

The review itself was kinda weird.  But I can understand why.  Star Wars Episode III suffers less from its crushing illogic than it does it's overall stupidity.  And to handle that, you can't point out individual inconsistencies and riff on them so much.

The most devastating part was when he talked about the blocking of the dialog scenes.  I'd sorta picked up on how poorly they were shot, but the fact that they're ALL THE SAME is just maddening.  It's one of the reasons I actually appreciate Episode I.  The overall camerawork was more dynamic.

The ending was strange but maybe the only way to do it.  You could feel the passion in the review, but also the need for closure.  And in a way, it was strangely the right thing to do.  Unless for some incomprehensible reason you actually like the prequels, at some point the stupidity is too much to handle.  You need to let go.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #318 on: January 01, 2011, 02:08:15 AM »
I think if it would have been any weirder he would have lost me, but I was fine with the cat stuff, although it was kinda gross. And you're right, Reap, the part about the camera angles and the blocking, while really great, was just upsetting!

Also...his Palpatine voice was really, REALLY good :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #319 on: January 01, 2011, 02:15:40 AM »
Arguably weirder than the cat - The string music at the end was almost beautiful.  What was that song?

What's the song he uses for the opening of his reviews as well?  It's so weird but kinda catchy.

In fact, I wish someone would compile a list of the music Plinkett uses.  It's all really good.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #320 on: January 01, 2011, 06:52:38 AM »
This hasn't been posted for a while...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKa_gjrTCGE
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #321 on: January 01, 2011, 12:09:16 PM »

Offline TL

« Reply #322 on: January 01, 2011, 01:11:41 PM »
The extreme overuse of crossing the axis (or shot, reverse shot. Both terms are correct) during dialog scenes was pretty insane. I mean, I was already kind of aware of it, but holy shit. There are literally only two kinds of scenes in the entire film.

I mean, learning to shoot heavily dialog oriented scenes in a more dynamic way is one of the very first things you learn in film school. We're talking first semester, film 101 stuff.

Once again, absolutely fantastic, hilarious, insightful review. I don't know what he'll review next, but I hope he keeps doing this.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #323 on: January 01, 2011, 01:18:05 PM »
ITT: review reviews

Anyway, I thought the whole thing was amazing  :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #324 on: January 03, 2011, 10:57:09 AM »
Arguably weirder than the cat - The string music at the end was almost beautiful.  What was that song?

What's the song he uses for the opening of his reviews as well?  It's so weird but kinda catchy.

In fact, I wish someone would compile a list of the music Plinkett uses.  It's all really good.

When I heard "Sultans of Swing" I smileed.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #325 on: January 03, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »
Yeah, although its use baffled me.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #326 on: January 03, 2011, 07:33:20 PM »
Where would you even rape the Millenium Falcon?

Right here -->

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #327 on: January 03, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
This is now in my possession after my flashdrive bit the dust:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #328 on: January 03, 2011, 07:41:13 PM »
That is why you fail.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #329 on: January 03, 2011, 07:42:30 PM »
It is a Yoda fucking flashdrive!!! How is that fail?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #330 on: January 03, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »
It is a Yoda fucking flashdrive!!! How is that fail?

Because it is a yoda flashdrive.

Yoda would kill you for using that. And he wouldn't even need to flip around 1000 times to do it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #331 on: January 03, 2011, 07:43:45 PM »
Yeah, thats actually pretty awesome

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #332 on: January 03, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
Where would you even rape the Millenium Falcon?

Right here -->

:lol

Yeah, thats actually pretty awesome

I would have to agree.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #333 on: January 03, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »
Yoda deserves to be more than 4 Gigs. :P

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #334 on: January 03, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »
The flash is strong in this drive.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: January 05, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »
A New Hope, as explained by a three year old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBM854BTGL0&feature=related

This is so damn cute that I can't even comprehend how cute it is. The way she says "Obi Kenobi" around 0:59 melts my heart. :heart
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #336 on: January 06, 2011, 05:33:15 PM »
:laugh:

I thought 3 is pretty good..No?  :-[
No.

"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #337 on: January 07, 2011, 02:10:30 AM »
A few more details on the high def release: https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/20th_Century_Fox/Star_Wars_Announced_for_Blu-ray!_/6115

Release date: September 18

There will be three different releases, with the major one being 'Star Wars: The Complete Saga' which will be a 9-disc set including all six films plus more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more -- three for a suggested list price of $139.99.

The other two releases, 'Star Wars: Prequel Trilogy' and 'Star Wars: Original Trilogy,' will each be 3-disc sets with a suggested list price of $69.99.
No announcements on any individual or 3D editions have been made at this time.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003ZSJ212/panandscathed-20

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #338 on: January 07, 2011, 10:49:23 AM »
I'll be the first to ask then - will it include the original cuts in HD? :P
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: January 07, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »
Come spend more money on Star Wars!

What a weird URL. Pan and scathed??? And how have 12 people reviewed this release already? 'Well, I'm not spending $$ on that, I've giving it a bad review!' I wonder how much of that 30 hours will be never-before-seen. 30 hours is a lot of material!

According to George, those versions are not the actual versions any longer. The 'special' editions are the current, accurate versions of the film. So I doubt it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #340 on: January 07, 2011, 11:32:02 AM »
Come spend more money on Star Wars!

What a weird URL. Pan and scathed??? And how have 12 people reviewed this release already? 'Well, I'm not spending $$ on that, I've giving it a bad review!' I wonder how much of that 30 hours will be never-before-seen. 30 hours is a lot of material!

According to George, those versions are not the actual versions any longer. The 'special' editions are the current, accurate versions of the film. So I doubt it.
Yeah amazon has some dumb reviewers and no the original versions won't be included because it would be "too expensive." Doesn't bother me at all, Lucas wrote the story he can present whichever version he wants.

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #341 on: January 07, 2011, 11:47:13 AM »
There maybe hope. Fox after all did put the original theatrical versions on the DVDs without GL's approval. We may still get it. Honestly, as much as I want the Original Trilogy on Blu-Ray, I'm not buying them if they don't have the original theatrical versions. I hate Hayden Christensen and I don't want him in the OT even if he is just a ghost.
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #342 on: January 07, 2011, 02:13:22 PM »
There maybe hope. Fox after all did put the original theatrical versions on the DVDs without GL's approval. We may still get it. Honestly, as much as I want the Original Trilogy on Blu-Ray, I'm not buying them if they don't have the original theatrical versions. I hate Hayden Christensen and I don't want him in the OT even if he is just a ghost.
They were released with his approval but only because people bitched at him for so long that he finally caved. I'm pretty sure everything Star Wars has to go through GL.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #343 on: January 07, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »

In a nutshell George has basically said,

"To all those who loved the Original Trilogy. Well  :censored you! I don't and I changed it." Yep! That's right George. You've pissed me off for the last time.  :censored
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #344 on: January 07, 2011, 04:25:23 PM »
There will only be one. And it won't be what I would call the "rough cut," it'll be the "final cut." The other one will be some sort of interesting artifact that people will look at and say, "There was an earlier draft of this." The same thing happens with plays and earlier drafts of books. In essence, films never get finished, they get abandoned. At some point, you're dragged off the picture kicking and screaming while somebody says, "Okay, it's done." That isn't really the way it should work. Occasionally, [you can] go back and get your cut of the video out there, which I did on both American Graffiti and THX 1138; that's the place where it will live forever. So what ends up being important in my mind is what the DVD version is going to look like, because that's what everybody is going to remember. The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won't last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition], and you'll be able to project it on a 20' by 40' screen with perfect quality. I think it's the director's prerogative, not the studio's to go back and reinvent a movie.

https://www.theasc.com/magazine/starwars/articles/sped/uni/pg4.htm

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #345 on: January 07, 2011, 04:39:42 PM »
I've never understood why people get upset with him for this. If you write a book and then realize it would be better with a few different details, so you go back and change it then you are in no way responsible for 'ruining' the book, because it is now closer to your vision.

I think the guy was right on who said, "Star Wars is like a sandbox that Lucas built, he can do what he wants to the big castles as long as he lets me play in it."

Thank goodness he had the foresight to realize he couldn't make Episodes I - III in the '70s.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #346 on: January 07, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »
You must be too young to have grown up with the original Star Wars tapes. Watching those dozens of times then seeing the Special Editions then seeing the prequels, well, it's a bit more understandable. And the 70s would have been the best time to make the prequels because his mindset would've been closer to the original trilogy. 20 years removed and your brain works in a completely different way.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #347 on: January 07, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »

Thank goodness he had the foresight to realize he couldn't make Episodes I - III in the '70s.

Why not? 

Also, I don't think the prequels were even a twinkle in Lucas' eye at that point.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #348 on: January 07, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »
They were released with his approval but only because people bitched at him for so long that he finally caved. I'm pretty sure everything Star Wars has to go through GL.

Really? I had always heard it was done without his permission. I know the unaltered versions were taken from the laserdisc release, and, so I had heard, those were used because GL had the original film reels and refused to let Fox have them.
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #349 on: January 07, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »

Why not? 

Also, I don't think the prequels were even a twinkle in Lucas' eye at that point.
Contrary to what people seem to want to believe he is a better visionary than most realize (or want to accept). He outlined the entire story, including the fall of Anakin and and major events of the prequels when he wrote the original trilogy. That's why there are subtle references like "A presence I haven't felt for a long time" and his wanting to put Episode IV on the opening scroll (which was fought and removed by the rest of the crew for fear it would confuse people). He realized that the technology didn't exist for him to create a convincing Coruscant or Naboo, but that the locations in the later part of the story were much more possible to pull off (the sandy planet or the icy/snowy planet). Obviously it was up in the air and the success of the movies weren't anticipated, but once the technology was invented he would go back and complete the first part of the story. The technology was satisfactory in the mid-1990s, so pulled out his yellow pad and #2 pencil in 1994 and started writing the prequels.

That's the entire reason that it started with Episode IV.