Author Topic: Skydivingninja's Top 50 Albums v. Not this crap again!  (Read 26954 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Skydivingninja's Top 50 Albums v. Not this crap again!
« on: July 05, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »
Fifty albums, 48 of which will have writeups and two of which will be kept secret for months and months.  I'm having a lot of fun with these writeups, so I hope you like 'em!

50. Dethklok-The Dethalbum II
The best joke about Metalocalypse is that the music is some of the best in its genre.  Brendan Small and Gene Hoglan really made a monster record, keeping a good chunk of the tongue-in-cheek humor of the first album but added more songs that sound like they could be on a "serious" death metal album.  The album is surprisingly groovy as well, especially the opening drums of "Bloodlines" or the main riff of "Burn the Earth."  With just their second album this Spinal Tap of Death Metal has made more great albums than 90% of all metal bands today.  Its just a joy to listen to from start to finish.
Favorites: Burn the Earth, Laser Cannon Death Sentence, The Gears, Bloodlines, Murmaider II

49. The Mars Volta-De-Loused in the Comatorium
This album almost didn't make my top 50.  Then I remembered how, every so often, I'll go into HUGE Mars Volta kicks.  My last.fm will show that I've listened to the songs "Goliath," "Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus" and "Teflon" a bajillion times in one week and I remember why I love The Mars Volta.  I don't listen to them all the time, but when I need good, insane, melodic prog music that somehow goes everywhere and yet stays contained, TMV succeeds where bands like BTBAM or Unexpect fail (in my opinion).  That said, this album is probably the only one besides Octahedron that I still listen to from start to finish.  Its one of their shortest, which means it isn't dragged out by anything, never overstays its welcomes, and you'll never lose interest in it because there's always something to catch your ear.
Favorites: Drunkship of Lanterns, Roulette Dares, Televators, Inertiatic ESP

48. Arcade Fire-Neon Bible
Every hipster will tell you that Funeral is the best Arcade Fire album.  I'm here to tell you that hipsters are the most incorrect people on the entire planet.  This is the only Arcade Fire album that is devoid of filler, and filled to the brim with good hooks, great, unique musicianship and instrument sounds, and features Arcade Fire at their most experimental.  I'll concede that Funeral and 2010's The Suburbs have their best songs, but as an album, Neon Bible wins out.
Favorites: Keep the Car Running, No Cars Go, Intervention, Black Waves/Bad Vibrations, Windowsill, My Body is a Cage

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: Skydivingninja's Top 50 Albums v. Not this crap again!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 04:45:09 PM »
Awesome!! Looking forward to that list too! :tup

Three bands I know, but only the Mars Volta one I'm familiar with.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 04:46:47 PM »
Not this shit again.

No but seriously, I'll follow.  :tup

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:47:16 PM »
De-Loused is a perfect album.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
Great start.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »
For the longest time I keep telling myself to try The Mars Volta so with your description Matt I will get this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 05:05:56 PM »
I hate all of these albums. Particularly the ones I like.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »
Will be following.  :)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 05:09:47 PM »
Will definitely follow, what a fantastic start! Don't really like Dethklok, but TMV are amazing (although I do prefer Frances the Mute personally) and I completely agree with you that Neon Bible is AF's best.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 05:26:40 PM »
I'll concede that Funeral and 2010's The Suburbs have their best songs, but as an album, Neon Bible wins out.

Except it doesn't.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 05:42:17 PM »
No love for Cicatriz ESP??
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
Dethklok: Totally didn't expect it, but cool beans
De-Loused: Awesome.
Arcade Fire: zzzzzzzzzzzz
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Boy, you jumped in before LLTWM's list was even cooling off!!!  With all the love for TMV, they're now on my list of bands to check out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 08:01:57 PM »
yesssssss tmv. that album isn't their best by any means, but it's still great.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 08:31:02 PM »
Dethklok: Totally didn't expect it, but cool beans
De-Loused: Awesome.
Arcade Fire: zzzzzzzzzzzz

>:(

Boy, you jumped in before LLTWM's list was even cooling off!!!  With all the love for TMV, they're now on my list of bands to check out.

I just figured people wanted to read about music that was actually good as soon as possible.  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 08:32:51 PM »

I just figured people wanted to read about music that was actually good as soon as possible.  :biggrin:

So what website do I go to? ;)  :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 08:37:38 PM »

Ouch. LieLow, defend yourself!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 09:37:44 PM »
I'll be following this.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »
I'll concede that Funeral and 2010's The Suburbs have their best songs, but as an album, Neon Bible wins out.

Except it doesn't.

This. Still, good start.

Offline jsem

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 03:09:34 PM »
Dethklok  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »
Yeah, the Dethklok pick is very surprising. But cool. Got this list off to an interesting start, you did.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 05:21:32 PM »
47. Megadeth-Rust in Peace
The only Megadeth album I can enjoy the whole way through without wanting to skip a song.  If I really want something intense to listen to or drive to, this is one of the albums I grab first.  Just one metal classic after another.  The speed at which Mustaine and co. can play these insanely complicated lines (that still have a sense of melody!) so perfectly amazes me.  Dave's voice is in top shape as well, and it hasn't been in such good shape on any Megadeth I've heard before or after this album.  His snarls never get into that whiny tone that I think he can stray into sometimes (I'm looking at you, "Sweating Bullets."  Yuck.)  Still, everything just clicked for Megadeth on this album.  Each musician was on top of their game, Dave's voice was at its best, and most importantly, he wrote the best damn thrash album ever (and one of the few albums that made me even care about thrash at all!)
Favorite songs: Rust in Peace (Polaris), Holy Wars (The Punishment Due), Hanger 18, Tornado of Souls

46. Sigur Ros-Takk...
Perfect.  Springtime.  Album right here.  While its predecessor, ( ), was very dreary and just reeked of winter, this album is almost bouncing with life.  Its also one of the most perfect post-rock albums I've heard, with a perfect three-song run of "Se Lest," "Saeglopur," and "Milano."  Great listen for daydreaming or lying on your back on a Sunday afternoon.
Favorite songs: Se Lest, Saeglopur, Milano, Hoppipola, Glosoli

45. dredg-Catch Without Arms
I used to think TPTPTD was the best dredg album.  However, I've recently changed my mind, and so CWA comes to take its place.  While TPTPTD is filled with catchy hooks, great melodies, and a fair bit of experimentation, Catch Without Arms is better than TPTPTD at the first two aspects, even though the band played it relatively safe on the artsy, experimental side that they explored quite a bit with El Cielo.  Its almost like a reaction against El Cielo's epic, artsy nature and regressing towards simpler, more upbeat songs, which certainly isn't a bad thing.  Sometimes forcing a band to do something simple produces some of their best art. 

I'd like to add, as a fan of Operation: Mindcrime and Empire, this album gets bonus points for making me wonder if Chris DeGarmo could still have some kind of music career knowing he helped write amazing songs like "Ode to the Sun."
Favorite songs: Ode to the Sun, Bug Eyes, Planting Seeds, Sang Real, Matroshka, Hungover on a Tuesday

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 05:23:10 PM »
3 excellent choices. I'd actually rank CWA even higher on mine.

And you get a striptease for mentioning Matroshka. That song doesn't get anywhere near enough love as it deserves.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 05:24:41 PM »
Nice! :tup

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
And you get a striptease for mentioning Matroshka. That song doesn't get anywhere near enough love as it deserves.

DAT CHORUS even if they rhyme "by" with "by" in the bridge its still a great song.  :P

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »

DAT CHORUS even if they rhyme "by" with "by" in the bridge its still a great song.  :P
I think it's my favorite from the album. There's so much to love about it.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »
For the longest time I keep telling myself to try The Mars Volta so with your description Matt I will get this.

DO IT NOW! You will love De-Loused, Joe!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 05:30:22 PM »
Super-rad update here.

Megadeth is the only "big 4" band that is worth anything to me and they kick some serious ass, especially with Rust in Peace!  Sigur Ros is just Sigur Ros, and Takk is a beautiful album.  CWA arms is also really cool, though I'd still say El Cielo is my favorite album of dredg.  

So you've earned my approval here.  

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 05:36:55 PM »
Takk is too low for my taste, CWA would probably be somewhere similar on my list.
Great update overall.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 07:30:57 PM »
For some reason I still have not heard Takk...

I think it's their only album I haven't heard
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 04:11:22 PM »
Its a groovy time for an update time!

44. The Decemberists-The Crane Wife
This album was the definition of a grower for me.  After hearing the Hazards of Love and liking its retro-prog, folky style, I gave The Crane Wife a try.  After the first two songs it got harder and harder for me to appreciate.  But I kept listening, and Meloy's voice grew on me more, as did the indie-pop elements of the band.  The first two songs are still my favorites, but this album was an important step for me in warming up to indie music with peculiar vocalists.  Not warm enough to the point where I can appreciate Neutral Milk Hotel, but without this album I probably wouldn't be able to really get into Bright Eyes or open myself up to listen to new "indie" music.
Favorite songs: The Island, The Crane Wife 3, Sons and Daughters, Yankee Bayonet

43. Devin Townsend-Terria
This is probably Devin's most diverse album.  You get a good sense of his softer, power ballad side with songs like "Nobody's Here" and "Stagnant," crazy metal like "The Fluke" and "Earth Day," and everything in between those two extremes.  Its also a perfect album journey, meant to be dedicated to Canada (though I honestly have no idea where "Earth Day" fits into this concept  :P).  Its hard to describe in detail why I like this album so much, other than every song is great, and its pretty soothing, even with consistently metal moments like "Canada," "Mountain," "Earth Day" and "The Fluke" on it.
Favorite songs: Deep Peace, Earth Day, Stagnant, Canada, Nobody's Here

42. Bruce Springsteen-Nebraska
Attention all fans of folk music: listen to this album.  It took me awhile before I gave this album a proper listen, mostly because my parents cite it as the moment Springsteen got "weird and depressing."  Well a year or so ago I realized that hey, I like weird and depressing music, and my parents and I don't agree a lot about music anyways, let's give it a real chance.  Well, I did, and holy balls is it good.  Its not upbeat, bluesy, jazzy, or rocking at all.  Just Bruce, a harmonica, an acoustic guitar and all those songs about how much New Jersey sucks ass.  ;)  His voice, while great when belting out powerful anthems, is even better on this album.  Its like a haunting croon, and he really succeeds at showing the right amount of emotion.  Its a bit depressing, mostly because of lyrics and the atmosphere of the album (which is greatly enhanced by the vinyl), but its definitely one of Springsteen's best, even if the E Street Band is nowhere to be seen.
Favorite Songs: Atlantic City, Nebraska, Highway Patrolman

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »
Hell yes for Nebraska.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2011, 04:37:32 PM »
Terria is my favorite Townsend album and it showed up on my list too so it's cool to see that there.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »
I didn't even notice your list but I like it so far, I'm a little sad that CWA is so low.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »
I didn't even notice your list but I like it so far, I'm a little sad that CWA is so low.

Because you tried to cut me in line!

:heart :heart :heart