Author Topic: Where would you be without prog?  (Read 13349 times)

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
Where would you be without prog?
« on: July 01, 2011, 02:40:27 PM »
Kansas' Leftoverture completely changed my musical taste a long time ago, and ever since then I've been into more complex music. DT and Moon Safari took it to the next level, and most of today's popular music simply bores me because of these bands.
Do you ever wonder what you'd be listening to if it weren't for bands like these? I'd hate to think I'd still be listening to Metallica and AC/DC and still thinking they were geniuses.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: Where would you be without prog?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 02:49:09 PM »
 I've never listened to a whole lot of prog to begin with, so I don't think there would be a radical change in my tastes. I've never been huge on excessive technical acrobatics in music, anyway.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 03:15:10 PM »
I don't know where I'd be, but I'd have about 20,000 hours of extra free time. All those hours, and only 10 songs listened to.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
Id have killed myself a long ago....
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 03:58:14 PM »
Well for one thing, I would have never found this place.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »
I've never listened to a whole lot of prog to begin with, so I don't think there would be a radical change in my tastes. I've never been huge on excessive technical acrobatics in music, anyway.

It isn't even about the technical superiority for me anymore. I used to be amazed by the playing, but I've moved past that. For me, it's more about breaking away from the predictable, run-of-the-mill, mass-produced songs that the general public is being fed today, and still being able to produce something pleasurable to listen to.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 04:15:56 PM »

It isn't even about the technical superiority for me anymore. I used to be amazed by the playing, but I've moved past that. For me, it's more about breaking away from the predictable, run-of-the-mill, mass-produced songs that the general public is being fed today, and still being able to produce something pleasurable to listen to.

Amen!!
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 04:18:48 PM »

Oh, I'm sure it varies from person to person. I just know that with prog sometimes comes some overly technical chops (at least, overly for my tastes), which isn't something I care for in music for the most part. But some people do, which is fine.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »
Knitting silently.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »
I guess I would be okay since I'm more of a metal head, but saying that a lot of metal bands are prog influenced, so without prog, it's hard to say how many of my fav metal bands wouldn't exist.  But thinking again, I'd still have Sabbath, Priest and Maiden, so I would make do.  :D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »
Getting some pussy.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »
Getting some pussy.

+1000000000000000  :lol

Offline jsem

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 05:36:01 PM »
Prog is not necessarily technical acrobatics.

Crime of the Century by Supertramp. NAO

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 06:13:12 PM »
Somewhere cooler.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 06:16:39 PM »
In a relationship.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Ħ

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 07:03:04 PM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 07:43:02 PM »
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 07:50:25 PM »
I don't know, but I would've miss a hell of a lot of amazing music if it wasn't for DTF.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 07:52:54 PM »
Exactly where I am today. PF, PT & DT are as far as I go with anything near prog and I'm happy to end it there. Prog my ass, get a job  :coolio
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 07:54:11 PM »
Exactly where I am today. PF, PT & DT are as far as I went with anything near prog and I'm happy to end it there. Prog my ass, get a job  :coolio

I have a job, and I'm quite nerdy at it thank you very much.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 07:55:39 PM »
If a nympho could distract you from prog then you were not the target audience of my previous post ;)
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Matt7

• Shelter me, guide me to the edge of the water
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 02:54:00 AM »
I'd probably be a thrash-metal fanatic...with a lot of tatoo,a Jackson RR, playin' slayer and Metallica all day long...

Kosmo

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 03:45:55 AM »
Dunno. Eating a hot dog. *shrug*

Offline Mladen

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 05:44:27 AM »
I'd probably be bored to death...

Offline jsem

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 06:13:43 AM »
I guess I would be okay since I'm more of a metal head, but saying that a lot of metal bands are prog influenced, so without prog, it's hard to say how many of my fav metal bands wouldn't exist.  But thinking again, I'd still have Sabbath, Priest and Maiden, so I would make do.  :D
You wouldn't have Maiden without prog. The guys listened to immense amounts of 70s prog.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 06:19:35 AM »
I'd have, pretty much, the same taste I have now. But without occasionally spinning some Porcupine Tree or Opeth. Though I do admit, when I did get into prog years ago, it did expand my musical horizons considerably. So I will give plenty of credit to it for that.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 06:31:15 AM »
You wouldn't have Maiden without prog. The guys listened to immense amounts of 70s prog.
Yep. Sorry, man - no prog, no Maiden.

Also, you wouldn't have some early Judas Priest works neither...

Offline Slain

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 06:31:30 AM »

Oh, I'm sure it varies from person to person. I just know that with prog sometimes comes some overly technical chops (at least, overly for my tastes), which isn't something I care for in music for the most part. But some people do, which is fine.

I listen to a lot of Prog, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood for it, and in that case I'll listen to simpler stuff. It really just depends on what I want to listen to, I love lots of different types of music, and I don't think it HAS to be technical to be good; although technical music is more interesting for me at times, especially to play. Prog made me more open-minded when it comes to music, and I thank it for that. I enjoy enjoying a wide range of stuff  :biggrin:
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 08:31:59 AM »
I wouldnt say I'm a hardcore progger.  I can't handle a lot of the hardcore epics from say, Yes, ELP.  That being said, I do like complex music, it just has to fit my listening style.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2011, 09:21:31 AM »
Dream Theater got me into prog, so without them, I'd probably still be listening to what I was listening to before that, which was death metal.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 09:50:11 AM »
I'd probably be bored to death...

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2011, 05:56:31 PM »
I'd probably have expanded my musical horizons beyond Metallica eventually anyway, but I'm pretty glad someone played me the IAW album back in '97. It spurred me on to a thousand different things, progressive rock being just one of them. But it really got me thinking and experimenting.

Luckily, I found a wife who appreciates some good prog and even travels to DT shows with me, so it's all good...

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 06:07:51 PM »
With a hell of a lot more room in my house, given all the prog rock CDs, cassette, and vinyl albums I own.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2011, 07:23:30 PM »
I'm trying to wrap my head around the absurdity of the question. If we're considering prog to be anything other than 4/4 or 6/8, in normal key signatures (that is, major and minor with no modal shifting), I'd probably have given up on music a long time ago.

However, if we're just talking prog bands like DT, Townsend, and Pain of Salvation, I'd probably still be obsessed with thrash/death metal (more than I already am).
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH