Author Topic: So Proud of My Son (sorry ...it's a bit wordy)  (Read 827 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
So Proud of My Son (sorry ...it's a bit wordy)
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:14:35 PM »
I have shared on this board that I come from a very musical family. My mother (God rest her soul), had one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard, and sang for the NY Metropolitan Opera for about 4 years before I was ever born. I was in some type of choir myself through high school, and sang in a number of bands and projects from jr. high through law school. I even considered on more than one occasion quitting college and "jamming" with a couple of bands, who for one reason or another, were convinced we were gonna "make it." But for the grace of God, I had the foresight to know my education was paramount.

Fast forward to a few years ago, and my ex-wife called me while I was in Chicago on a book tour. I was at a Barnes and Noble when she left me a message that simply said "Vox II's principal will probably be calling you shortly, call me back as soon as you get this!" What?!?! What kind of message was that?? I tried unsuccessfully to call her back as soon as I got the message. Worried now that something bad had happened at school, I abandoned my dinner plans and hurried to my hotel; all the while blowing up her cell and home phones in an attempt to reach her. When I arrived at the hotel there was a message from the principal waiting for me, so I called her back. While on hold for the principal my phone rang, and switching over found his choir teacher was on the line. She informed me what all of the drama was about apparently. She and the principal wanted to recommend my son for an audition with the prestigious Cincinnati Boys Choir. All of the schools in the region are feeder schools for this choir, and she told me that in 16 years as an educator of music, she had never chosen one of her students to audition. My ex wife had already given her consent, and they needed mine, and the tryouts were THAT evening.  My first question was "What does Vox II want to do?" She said he was all for it, and of course I said yes.

I finally got in touch with the ex and my son, and they headed to the audition. I waited anxiously for a few hours, and my ex called me twice to tell me that she was still waiting in the lobby at Music Hall, and had nothing to report, but that boys occasionally would filter out, many whom were upset, but that my son was still there. A short while later, my son called me to tell me that he HAD been accepted by the Cincinnati Boy Choir. He told me that at first , he was incredibly intimidated because many of the guys had voice coaches with them, giving them last minute pointers, and working on scales and registers beforehand. Here he was in his football jersey, and wasn't even sure if he was in the right place. "Dad, I just decided to sing as strong and as proud as I could." My emotion got the better of me, and I cried like a little girl after I hung up the phone. First of all, I was so proud of him; and secondly, I knew my mom, had she been alive, would have been too; and I wished she had been there to share it with him.

Growing up is all about choices and priorities. Sometimes we make good ones, and at times we make bad ones. But your parents are there to teach you and guide your way. Ultimately my son felt that the 30+ hour per week commitment to the boy choir would be too much and get in the way of his school grades, playing sports and being a kid. So, he politely declined the invitation to join the choir. I was more than a little disappointed and I didn't let him know that; but after we talked about it, I supported his choice.

He has remained in choir at school; and at all of the jr. high events, you can hear him, "strong and proud" above everyone else. Last year he was chosen by more than ten school choir directors to participate in a regional 'honor choir".

A few months ago, we went to a school event for parents that looked at various classes available to the students in high school; as well as the overall freshmen curriculum. He said he wanted to stay in choir; and we met with his former music teacher who is now the choir director at the high school. She mentioned to my son that she was going to assemble an all male "glee choir", and if he was interested, he was already in, no audition required. I happened to notice on a choir poster that the auditions for next years elite Chamber Choir were coming up. Those interested would have to audition not just before the teachers at his school, but also the music directors from the University of Cincinnati, University of Dayton, N. Kentucky University, and Miami University, as well as the Director of the choral program at the College Conservatory of Music. In these parts a schools Chamber Choir is a much more serious endeavor than say the schools normal high school choir or chorus. Many members of the chamber choir wind up receiving college scholarships. I mentioned to my son that the auditions were coming up if he were interested, and his teacher interjected that NO freshman had ever made the schools chamber choir, but that the audition would be an excellent experience for him. She was sure that he would probably 'make it' at some point during high school, if he wanted to, and if he worked hard enough.

He will be the first and ONLY freshman in the Chamber Choir next year.  :metal

His teacher still wants him to be part of the "Glee Choir", but he's not sure. He doesn't want to bite off more than he can chew.

Fast forward to a week ago last Friday. It's summer vacation, but the chamber choirs director frantically called. Journey, Night Ranger, and Foreigner are playing here in August. Seems that Foreigner is seeking choirs to sing "I Want to Know What Love Is” onstage with them at each venue on the tour. His teacher is frantically trying to rehearse the choir in time for the video tape submission. My son comes home yesterday and casually said he needed to rehearse the whole song because they chose him to sing the lead on the song for the video! I am so damn proud of him!

The kid can sing his ass off! It's amazing to see and hear him come into his own voice. It's also a hell of a lot of fun to watch him "discover' and get into various bands, and it's especially fun to sing and harmonize with him in the car, or at home.

I'll keep you posted on whether or not they make it for the upcoming concert. Thanks for reading. I had to share!  
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: So Proud of My Son (sorry ...it's a bit wordy)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 01:16:32 PM »
Cool story bro. For real, that's awesome.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »
It's amazing to see how supportive you are of your kid. Good luck to him in whatever he does!
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 03:25:21 PM »
That is an AWESOME story.  Good luck to him!

BTW does he need voice lessons? I know a great teacher ;)
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 03:27:22 PM »
To hear such a story warms my heart Temp.  I pull for my nieces and nephews and my heart if full of pride.  Congrats.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »
 :tup
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »
win
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 04:09:09 PM »
 :metal  Congratulations and good luck to your son!