Author Topic: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 04/23)  (Read 393069 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 01/16)
« Reply #560 on: June 25, 2012, 09:59:35 AM »
Comparing the setlists between the previous US tour and the current one, I much prefer the ones from the previous tour. The Great Debate is the only real weak point in those sets. Everything else is solid if not awesome. I think 6:00, TDEN, AFIL, Surrounded, WIMY/TTTSTA bring this new setlist down, along with the overplayed TSCO. And This is the Life is my least favorite new song. Everything IMO, of course.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #561 on: June 26, 2012, 06:35:31 AM »
Hmm. I don't really rate The Great Debate, but it was a stand out track live. AFIL is being played faster and heavier on this tour - it really is like a whole new song, and WIMH/TTTSTA is also quite punchy, especially with the new visuals this tour. TSCO is a classic, and could never be overplayed IMHO.

Where the set seems weak is the ADTOE stuff - This is the Life and Lost Not Forgotten just aren't as strong as Beneath the Surface and Outcry.

I hope they do a live album from this tour, but I hope it's from an earlier leg, preferably a night where they played The Silent Man.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #562 on: June 27, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »
Comparing the setlists between the previous US tour and the current one, I much prefer the ones from the previous tour. The Great Debate is the only real weak point in those sets. Everything else is solid if not awesome. I think 6:00, TDEN, AFIL, Surrounded, WIMY/TTTSTA bring this new setlist down, along with the overplayed TSCO. And This is the Life is my least favorite new song. Everything IMO, of course.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Have a great day! :lol

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #563 on: June 27, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »
the only weak part in the setlist for this tour for me would be TDEN. would love to have 6:00 go into the mirror, or anything else

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #564 on: June 27, 2012, 01:07:55 PM »
the only weak part in the setlist for this tour for me would be TDEN. would love to have 6:00 go into the mirror, or anything else
They should have played a song from TOT in the place of TDEN. I find the lack of one song from TOT (and FII) somewhat disturbing... :lol
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #565 on: June 27, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »
They should have played a song from TOT in the place of TDEN. I find the lack of one song from TOT (and FII) somewhat disturbing... :lol

There's a lack ob BCSL too. They should play Wither. :(

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #566 on: June 28, 2012, 12:25:36 PM »
i wouldnt mind bringing back bring back just let me breathe in TDEN's place

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: June 30, 2012, 09:35:15 PM »
How long has the show been?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #568 on: June 30, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »
How long has the show been?
DT - about 2 hours and 5 minutes
CP - about 40-45 minutes
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Thanatos

« Reply #569 on: July 10, 2012, 07:22:01 PM »
Don't think this warrants its own thread, so I'll try asking here:

Does anyone know how different the two shows in NY might be? It would be a huge waste of money if I go twice and the setlists are identical (like they sort of have been so far). On the other hand, I'd never forgive myself if they did something special or they played LTL live.

Elsewhere people have suggested looking at other double shows they've done in the past, but 1) this is their hometown (might be something special) and 2) their setlists post Portnoy have been sort of unchanging.

Since an extra 70$ish is on the line, I've tried tweeting John/Jordan/DTofficial/etc to no avail, so I was wondering if you guys heard anything!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #570 on: July 10, 2012, 08:20:01 PM »
Even if the shows are the same, it's worth going twice..as long as there's no extenuating circumstances (wife and kids! :lol)

Since they're doing a two night shoot in Buenos Aires, there's speculation that the NY shows will have varied setlists. That chance would be reason enough to go. You'd get something no other US audience would get.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: July 12, 2012, 08:51:11 AM »
Someone has been shamelessly copying DTF's work to Wikipedia without giving credit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dramatic_Turn_of_Events_Tour
Don't tell me somebody else is keeping songs play count.
Is cyberdrummer by any chance running that wiki page? Cause otherwise a scumbag is. At least credit the forum for the freakin data bitch.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #572 on: July 12, 2012, 10:46:31 AM »
No I'm not running that page. Definitely poor form if it is copied, but I guess it's not out of the realms of possibility that somebody else is keeping count. Either way, not much we can do really.

Offline kdt511

« Reply #573 on: July 13, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
This may have been said already...

I saw how all of the setlists are basically identical, and it was pissing me off.  Like, Portnoy is gone, so they can't continue to make decent varying setlists?  Then it hit me, maybe it's too hard for Mangini to learn a bunch of new songs, so they had to limit the setlist.  Maybe future tours will be better?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #574 on: July 13, 2012, 05:34:55 PM »

I saw how all of the setlists are basically identical, and it was pissing me off.  Like, Portnoy is gone, so they can't continue to make decent varying setlists?  Then it hit me, maybe it's too hard for Mangini to learn a bunch of new songs, so they had to limit the setlist.  Maybe future tours will be better?

Or maybe they would rather have one really quality show for everyone to enjoy. Without rotating the setlist, they can make sure that the songs they do play are played at a very high level. The only downside to that is that it discourages people from going to multiple shows in the same leg of the tour (as I probably would have done if I knew the setlist would be changing). Also, as you mentioned, Mangini is still new to a lot of the material and it would be pretty rough on him if everyone expected him to learn 50 songs rather than... say 20-25 for the first couple tours.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: July 13, 2012, 06:46:53 PM »
Exactly, taking the show on the road as the old saying goes, the show being a solid unchanged entity carved to perfection as per the artist vision.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #576 on: July 13, 2012, 09:36:53 PM »

Read interviews. The band wanted to do a static setlist because they say (and very rightfully) that the show they present is a much better one. It's not because of Mangini, etc. Thing is, yeah Portnoy had the variable setlist thing and all, but the performances and the stage production weren't as tight as they are now.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: July 15, 2012, 01:30:07 AM »
Was 2011-10-21 - Pompano Beach Amphitheater - Pompano Beach, FL  the first show they move Outcry back to be right after Ytse Jam? It's like that here but people who went to the show never said anything about it in the show's thread.

EDIT: Never mind mystery solved.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 02:28:33 AM by Progmetty »

Offline 6sAllTheWay

« Reply #578 on: August 10, 2012, 11:53:26 AM »
I am gonna ask in here too instead of starting a new thread. How does the touring cycle look for Dream Theater? Do they do album tours followed by festival tours in the summer, and how often are they on tour? I suppose following A Dramatic Tour of Events we can expect them to take a break for a while? I ask because I just got back into DT and of course missed them when they came here on the European Leg. Take Care!

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #579 on: August 23, 2012, 10:02:08 AM »
Just a heads up, I'm currently in Hungary, so this thread will be updated on my return.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #580 on: September 04, 2012, 01:36:11 PM »
That's the end of another tour! Thanks for keeping so well to the newly organised board, it makes things so much easier for me to keep it all updated  :lol

See you next summer  :metal

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #581 on: December 17, 2012, 02:35:55 PM »
It's probably only a couple of months until we get some new tour dates!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #582 on: January 15, 2013, 04:36:24 AM »
It's probably only a couple of months until we get some new tour dates!

Looking forward to that!  I plan on seeing them at least twice this time around. I only saw them at the Atlantic City show this past tour, but what a great show it was.  Comp tickets since my wife is a gambling addict.    :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #583 on: January 15, 2013, 04:42:06 AM »
I would really like to see them at least once, perhaps twice if they come near enough twice.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline philmcson

« Reply #584 on: January 15, 2013, 05:27:54 AM »
AS I've bought some early bird ticket for the Seerock festival in Graz, Austria, it'd be the ultimate win if they'd confirm appearance on this fest. Although, there are already 4 epic headliners (Maiden, Motörhead, Slayer, Stone Sour) so this would be overkill  :P

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #585 on: January 15, 2013, 05:52:48 AM »
JR confirmed they'd be doing some summer touring in the Dropping the Needle podcast. These dates should be announced in the next few weeks.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #586 on: January 15, 2013, 05:58:54 AM »
Hmmmm, on the FB site of named festival it was stated that the next headliners would be announced in a few weeks. This sounds good so far  :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #587 on: January 15, 2013, 06:22:54 AM »
This summer I'm going to graduate, so I won't be able do leave my hometurf...  :yeahright
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #588 on: January 16, 2013, 04:31:40 AM »
This summer I'm going to graduate, so I won't be able do leave my hometurf...  :yeahright

How long does it  take you to get back to the mainland?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #589 on: January 16, 2013, 05:36:49 AM »

Two days that I won't have. i will have to prepare 6 exams and the final thesis in 3 months. :/
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #590 on: January 16, 2013, 07:27:54 AM »

Two days that I won't have. i will have to prepare 6 exams and the final thesis in 3 months. :/

Ouch, that is a lot of exams. Do your thesis on why prog should be played for newborn babies and not disney.   ;)

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #591 on: January 16, 2013, 02:51:31 PM »
I most certainly will be seeing them again on this tour. I have decided that I will see them on every single tour from now on until I am physically unable or they retire!

I just did a meet and greet last year for the first time, but I am tempted to do it again, as I would love to have them sign my Images and Words vinyl (2012 re-release) test press that I will be receiving in February (one of only 24 made, most of which went to the band and management).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #592 on: April 29, 2013, 03:39:15 PM »
Looks like it might be a while until this thread is up and running again!

Offline Grinch

« Reply #593 on: April 30, 2013, 04:21:46 AM »
Someone has been shamelessly copying DTF's work to Wikipedia without giving credit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dramatic_Turn_of_Events_Tour
Don't tell me somebody else is keeping songs play count.
Is cyberdrummer by any chance running that wiki page? Cause otherwise a scumbag is. At least credit the forum for the freakin data bitch.
I absolutely hate it when people do this, and unfortunately I've had this happen to me. I wrote and extensive list of the gear JP used on Dream Theater tours as well as his rig during G3 in 2007 and put it up on the Dream Theater wikia page and then someone just copied it onto the wikipedia site without even so much as a little line saying "this list was originally posted on the Dream Theater wikia page" or something like that. People are shameless nowadays.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: June 18, 2013, 02:06:55 AM »
Here's hoping for a Swedish date.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.