Author Topic: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 04/23)  (Read 395458 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 03/17)
« Reply #1400 on: March 17, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »
The NA leg seems to end in April where the 2nd Europe leg starts in July... I wonder if they're taking a long break or if a leg somewhere else, perhaps Asia or SA or Australia is being announced for that empty space?

South America seems the most likely option to me.

Or there could be more dates coming for the earlier part of europe part 2?  Or maybe after doing two legs of 3 hour shows they will give themselves a nice break? Just thinking aloud.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1401 on: April 03, 2014, 09:02:46 PM »
I think that the reason that DT hasn't returned to CT is because of the lack of an appropriately sized theater. Oakdale seats about 5K; double the capacity of the current venues in which g they perform. What about Waterbury's Palace Theater? That holds about the right number of guests.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1402 on: April 10, 2014, 02:09:56 AM »
07-05-2014 - Sheffield City Hall, UK - gone up on the DT website.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1403 on: April 13, 2014, 06:43:14 AM »
via DT website

07-31-2014 KüçükÇiftlik Park - Istanbul, Turkey

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 04/13)
« Reply #1404 on: April 14, 2014, 02:14:16 PM »
How long are these US shows lasting?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Grizz

Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 04/13)
« Reply #1405 on: April 14, 2014, 02:50:29 PM »
2 hours and 44 minutes, plus a 15 minute intermission.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline bluehaze1933

Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 04/23)
« Reply #1406 on: April 27, 2014, 03:13:26 PM »
I know it's been expressed many times before but, nonetheless, it still stinks that Dream Theater completely ignored the South. It is incredible to me the Netherlands can get two shows on two separate legs and places like Slovakia can get a show but Florida ,Georgia, and Texas can't even get one show. It's even more astounding that they can play in a second tier town like Salem, Oregon for an Evening with... show but major markets like Miami/ Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston were not asked to "come along for the ride." I've heard all the excuses before regarding the promoters etc and it's all BS. That might have flied back in 2002 but not today. This North American tour, by anybody's standards, was incredibly short, and so far there has been not a word of a second leg. At this point, I don't expect one given that they are heading to Asia in October and South America after that. I wish someone in the organization would have the courtesy of saying yay or nay to another leg to include the South. All we are asking for is 2 1/2 weeks of your time DT. Don't keep us hanging...disappointed in Miami.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:47:26 PM by bluehaze1933 »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1407 on: April 27, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »
If you've been keeping up enough to warrant complaining you'd know that there is a second leg planned in previously untapped markets.

At DT's age, 20 days of 3 hour performances for the first time in 8 years is a lot, especially for James and Mike.

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #1408 on: April 27, 2014, 04:57:28 PM »
Where did you hear that? Source? Locations? Fall or next winter? It would be nice if they posted something. By the way, Roger Waters did two year tours of the Wall...and the Dead did 3 hour shows with a selection of over 100 songs to choose from on every tour for years and years.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:49:59 PM by bluehaze1933 »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1409 on: April 27, 2014, 09:40:44 PM »
I know it's been expressed many times before but, nonetheless, it still stinks that Dream Theater completely ignored the South. It is incredible to me the Netherlands can get two shows on two separate legs and places like Slovakia can get a show but Florida ,Georgia, and Texas can't even get one show. It's even more astounding that they can play in a second tier town like Salem, Oregon for an Evening with... show but major markets like Miami/ Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston were not asked to "come along for the ride." I've heard all the excuses before regarding the promoters etc and it's all BS. That might have flied back in 2002 but not today. This North American tour, by anybody's standards, was incredibly short, and so far there has been not a word of a second leg. At this point, I don't expect one given that they are heading to Asia in October and South America after that. I wish someone in the organization would have the courtesy of saying yay or nay to another leg to include the South. All we are asking for is 2 1/2 weeks of your time DT. Don't keep us hanging...disappointed in Miami.
Sorry for what I'm about to say, but I find their "how come *put name of country here* got *n* shows and we got NONE?! THIS IS AMERICA!" argument to be kind of stale. When you say "Dream Theater completely ignored the South", you are implying that the band itself decides where to go next. You possibly know this already, but that's complete BS. Putting up a tour is incredibly hard, you probably can't imagine how much. Lots of variables to be taken into consideration; and such task is a Dream Theater  tour management job. They're definitely coming back for a second North American leg towards the end of the year, you just have to be patient and wait it to happen. Think about it, traveling to Europe and doing gigs over there is definitely more expensive than doing another North American run, so logic tells me that if they're up in Europe again, they're probably going to return to the United States.

Did I say that that's not a band issue already? The band can state their desires of playing in any country or city, but if the tour management can't make it happen (due to the local promoters, the cost, the venues, etc), it just won't happen. Sorry to hear DT didn't pay a visit to your town or somewhere near you, but all you can do is wait and stop complaining of things that are out of place.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1410 on: April 28, 2014, 02:15:41 AM »
^thank you.

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #1411 on: April 28, 2014, 08:54:07 AM »
Sorry for what I'm about to say, but I find their "how come *put name of country here* got *n* shows and we got NONE?! THIS IS AMERICA!" argument to be kind of stale. When you say "Dream Theater completely ignored the South", you are implying that the band itself decides where to go next. You possibly know this already, but that's complete BS. Putting up a tour is incredibly hard, you probably can't imagine how much. Lots of variables to be taken into consideration; and such task is a Dream Theater  tour management job. They're definitely coming back for a second North American leg towards the end of the year, you just have to be patient and wait it to happen. Think about it, traveling to Europe and doing gigs over there is definitely more expensive than doing another North American run, so logic tells me that if they're up in Europe again, they're probably going to return to the United States.

Did I say that that's not a band issue already? The band can state their desires of playing in any country or city, but if the tour management can't make it happen (due to the local promoters, the cost, the venues, etc), it just won't happen. Sorry to hear DT didn't pay a visit to your town or somewhere near you, but all you can do is wait and stop complaining of things that are out of place.

First off, these are all big markets I am talking about. Miami is an international city and so is Atlanta and Dallas. Salem is most assuredly NOT,  and secondly, all I asked for was a yay or a nay. I am not asking them to play podunk nowhere. This is MIAMI I am talking about. If just about every washed up sixties act can come down here so can they. Just say something, ESPECIALLY because a whole region was left out of their so-called North American tour. Is that really so hard for them to respond to. They have to know that people were upset about a whole region being left out. They (meaning management) could have and SHOULD HAVE made a point of assuaging the disappointment of those of us in the South when they released their tour info. They could have said something like, Don't worry south, we didn't forget about you. But they didn't. I am well aware of how hard it is to take a tour on the road, but I remind you that this is there job and their tour has only been four months. Hardly work for professional musicians that play for paying their bills...DT didn't come within a thousand miles of Miami. One sentence by management is all that is needed. I can tell you this, I have traveled to Europe to see them in the past. I have traveled to Orlando and Tampa to see them. I have put in the miles and the thousands of dollars to see them. I would have done it again had they come within the state. I just want to see one REAL show and not some abbreviated half show they give when they co-headline. It must be nice for those living up in the Northeast where they get decent concerts all the time. For me, I have to wait a year or two to see a decent show down here and I look forward to this one bit of real entertainment. Fortunately, I WILL get to see one DT member play ( he is the heart and soul of DT and his huge presence is missed on staged , but it was his choice) ...at least I'll get to see the Winery Dogs in Ft Lauderdale in two weeks for a whopping $23.00 general admission. Those up north and in Western Europe are lucky and a bit spoiled. Let me reiterate: Just one sentence saying yes or no would suffice to carry me on another six months. Is that really so hard for the band's management to accomplish---one sentence, hell one word?

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1412 on: April 28, 2014, 09:02:34 AM »
When this argument comes up I equate it to the fact that on the first European leg they played 4 shows per country, and that's it. Whichever way you looked at it, the United States got over 30 shows for the one country. That's a hell of a lot more than 4. Just because there's 50 states doesn't mean they have to hit them all because that's impossible. That's the purpose of more than one leg. There's still the fact that they toured for over a month in ONE country. They covered a lot of ground here, whether they hit your area or not. And this coming from someone from South Florida, who didn't expect to see them on this past leg but was surprised with tickets to California. It sucks they didn't come here, but they still played a LOT of shows in the US.

Also, it doesn't look like they plan to stop the Evening With format anytime soon. JLB even said he preffered that format.

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #1413 on: April 28, 2014, 09:09:33 AM »
When this argument comes up I equate it to the fact that on the first European leg they played 4 shows per country, and that's it. Whichever way you looked at it, the United States got over 30 shows for the one country. That's a hell of a lot more than 4. Just because there's 50 states doesn't mean they have to hit them all because that's impossible. That's the purpose of more than one leg. There's still the fact that they toured for over a month in ONE country. They covered a lot of ground here, whether they hit your area or not. And this coming from someone from South Florida, who didn't expect to see them on this past leg but was surprised with tickets to California. It sucks they didn't come here, but they still played a LOT of shows in the US.

Also, it doesn't look like they plan to stop the Evening With format anytime soon. JLB even said he preffered that format.
I would remind you that the Netherlands is half the size of New Jersey, that Germany and Italy (which got the bulk of the concerts on their two legs) is the equivalent of Texas and Florida, and that because everything in Europe is so close, a train ride puts just about everybody in Europe within a two hour distance to a show. The U.S. leg WAS short compared to their two legs in Europe. Just two and a half weeks longer on their first U.S. leg would have gotten most of the major U.S. markets covered. I am keeping my fingers crossed and I'll keep strumming my guitar to entertain myself...and when Mike Portnoy comes down with the Winery Dogs, I'll be sure to thank him profusely. Iguess that is all I can do.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:21:43 AM by bluehaze1933 »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1414 on: April 28, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
When this argument comes up I equate it to the fact that on the first European leg they played a maximum of 4 shows per country, and that's it.
Fixed.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1415 on: April 29, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »

Really bad comparison.  The size of the US as a country cannot be compared to any European country.  The fact that any of those countries got more than one show is kind of a support to bluehazes argument that how did an entire region of the US get missed.  But I am with Darklord in that its not DT saying no to the south, it just didnt work out in the schedule for whatever reason (time, money, promoters).  Just hang tight until they announce a second US leg.

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #1416 on: April 29, 2014, 03:58:44 PM »

Really bad comparison.  The size of the US as a country cannot be compared to any European country.  The fact that any of those countries got more than one show is kind of a support to bluehazes argument that how did an entire region of the US get missed.  But I am with Darklord in that its not DT saying no to the south, it just didnt work out in the schedule for whatever reason (time, money, promoters).  Just hang tight until they announce a second US leg.
Let me just say that whether they come South or not, Dream Theater is still one of the best bands out there. They always give there best wherever they play and they are one of the hardest working bands there is. My gripe is just out of frustration because I am very passionate about the things I love... sometimes a bit too passionate. I can always count on DT to give the utmost quality effort which is sorely lacking these days.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1417 on: April 29, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »

Let me just say that whether they come South or not, Dream Theater is still one of the best bands out there. They always give there best wherever they play and they are one of the hardest working bands out there. My gripe is just out of frustration because I am very passionate about the things I love sometimes a bit too passionate. I can always count on DT to give the utmost quality effort which is sorely lacking these days.

I couldnt tell you how frustrated I would be if I missed this tour because they didnt come near me.  Luckily I live close to NYC so I dont usually get that feeling.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1418 on: April 29, 2014, 07:21:26 PM »

Really bad comparison.  The size of the US as a country cannot be compared to any European country.  The fact that any of those countries got more than one show is kind of a support to bluehazes argument that how did an entire region of the US get missed. 
This is true. It also supports the argument that there's a LOT more territory to cover in the US versus a European country and would require a lot of shows to see everyone on one tour. If they wanted to visit each state only once in the continental US, that's 48 shows right there. And that's a lot of shows.

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #1419 on: May 02, 2014, 09:08:43 AM »
Recent Jordan Rudess interview from DT's facebook page. It's interesting that the interviewer is from South Florida. Not exactly a resounding "yes." Not a "no,"  but it doesn't sound all that promising.... Oh well... I'm glad he reminded him of us here in the South.

Any chance for more US shows following the Europe run?

"Maybe, there are some areas we didn’t cover so it’s possible but I haven’t heard."---Rudess

https://progreport.com/jordan-rudess-interview/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:33:00 AM by bluehaze1933 »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1420 on: May 03, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »
Recent Jordan Rudess interview from DT's facebook page. It's interesting that the interviewer is from South Florida. Not exactly a resounding "yes." Not a "no,"  but it doesn't sound all that promising.... Oh well... I'm glad he reminded him of us here in the South.

"Maybe, there are some areas we didn’t cover so it’s possible but I haven’t heard."---Rudess

Well he acknowledged it so thats a start. And thats probably a true statement too, he probably doesnt know exactly where they will be playing next.

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #1421 on: May 03, 2014, 03:02:16 PM »

Well he acknowledged it so thats a start. And thats probably a true statement too, he probably doesnt know exactly where they will be playing next.
The fact that he didn't say "no" means there is still a chance. I think it is a safe bet that there will be an Asian leg and probably a South American leg. A second U.S. leg didn't seem like it was on their radar, but I guess it is still possible. Here's hoping...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1422 on: May 03, 2014, 03:42:51 PM »
I've heard all the excuses before regarding the promoters etc and it's all BS. That might have flied back in 2002 but not today.
It's not BS, that is how tours work.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #1423 on: May 03, 2014, 04:15:51 PM »
I've heard all the excuses before regarding the promoters etc and it's all BS. That might have flied back in 2002 but not today.
It's not BS, that is how tours work.
What I meant by that comment was that to argue that Dream Theater couldn't be profitable to the promoters and venues should they do an Evening with...show down here as the reason why they are not doing their tour here is just not correct.. Promoters know that Dream Theater IS a draw.. Believe it or not, Prog is popular in South Florida...and so is metal. There is a huge metal scene in Ft Lauderdale with two venues (Culture Room and Revolution) that specifically cater to metal. As far as prog, YES is bringing their third tour to South Florida in a little over two years...and that is WITHOUT Jon Anderson on vocals. Porcupine Tree played the Fillmore a few years ago and had a huge showing with ZERO promotion. Even Steven Wilson commented on how large the attendance was. I'm pretty sure Dream Theater has a larger audience here than Porcupine Tree. If YES can play down here so often( and they play three hour shows at a high level, too), and if Porcupine Tree can bring in such a huge audience with zero promotion, that tells me the promoters aren't the problem. Just a tiny amount of promotion would suffice to draw a large crowd given a reasonable price $30-$100 (tops)...not to mention the fact that Miami is the gateway to South America where they always do well. I suspect that management, for whatever reason, doesn't feel it is profitable ENOUGH to bring them here given we are so far south. If that is the case, then start the South American tour  (or end it) in Florida and work into South America. Every show that I have been to in the last 17 years has had a very strong attendance (with minimal advertisement) with the crowd becoming more diverse tour after tour. There are multiple venues for Dream Theater to bring this tour to...In Miami, it would be the Fillmore...in Tampa, The Ruth Eckerd Hall. My question is this: How can it be more profitable to go through the same amount of travel expenses with a co-headlining tour  and less actual take home pay due to splitting the revenue with the other bands, then it is to do your own show and have all of the take minus venue and promotional expenses? It doesn't make sense to me that taking and paying other bands on tour is more profitable. Dream Theater isn't the same unknown band it was in 1999. They now have two super recent Grammy nominations under their belt. That alone should give them leverage. I wish management and whomever else involved would just give us a not so chancy chance. I believe we deserve it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 05:01:37 PM by bluehaze1933 »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1424 on: May 03, 2014, 04:20:41 PM »

The fact that he didn't say "no" means there is still a chance. I think it is a safe bet that there will be an Asian leg and probably a South American leg. A second U.S. leg didn't seem like it was on their radar, but I guess it is still possible. Here's hoping...

Im pretty sure another US leg is definitely on their radar and probably likely. 

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #1425 on: May 03, 2014, 04:24:27 PM »

Im pretty sure another US leg is definitely on their radar and probably likely.
I really hope you are right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1426 on: May 07, 2014, 02:34:31 PM »
With James in such great shape vocally on this tour, the song that is really standing out is Lifting Shadows. He is NAILING it show after show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1427 on: May 07, 2014, 04:11:22 PM »
Yea, Lifting Shadows has been great this tour.  That (and essentially the Awake part of the set) was something I was really looking forward to and they nailed it all three times I saw them.  Very awesome indeed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1428 on: May 07, 2014, 04:21:41 PM »
Scarred and SDV are two of my Top 5 DT songs so I couldn't wait for those. I don't even really care for The Mirror/Lie, but I've enjoyed these versions very much.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: May 07, 2014, 08:40:02 PM »
Scarred and SDV are two of my Top 5 DT songs so I couldn't wait for those. I don't even really care for The Mirror/Lie, but I've enjoyed these versions very much.

Scarred was my favorite Awake song for a really long time and while it hasn't gotten worse to me, some of the other songs have just gotten better it seems so its hard for me to say which song on Awake is my favorite.  For example, after seeing The Mirror/Lie, I find that combo to be so much better now (I always liked both, but never would have said they were as good as I think they are now).  I guess if a gun was held to my head I would still say Scarred is my favorite though.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1430 on: May 14, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »
I am from Nashville, Tennessee and a fairly new DT fan.  Have not heard them live, but I have faith they will come somewhat close to me, probably Atlanta.  Hey, I am older than the band, so do not have many chances left to see them. ;D
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1431 on: May 14, 2014, 02:05:12 PM »
I am from Nashville, Tennessee and a fairly new DT fan.  Have not heard them live, but I have faith they will come somewhat close to me, probably Atlanta.  Hey, I am older than the band, so do not have many chances left to see them. ;D

Check out their many live releases if you cant make it to a show.

Offline Labanimal

« Reply #1432 on: May 14, 2014, 07:42:57 PM »
Any word on a 2nd US leg?

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #1433 on: May 15, 2014, 10:14:34 AM »
Any word on a 2nd US leg?
Nothing yet. Anxiously waiting...Did see Mike Portnoy rock it last night in Ft. Lauderdale.

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #1434 on: May 15, 2014, 11:46:57 PM »
When they were in Vancouver April 12th James said that they would be back in 2015.  If they are doing a show in Vancouver they might as well hit up the rest of North America as well.