Author Topic: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 04/23)  (Read 395373 times)

Offline Laughingplace56

Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 01/16)
« Reply #1260 on: January 15, 2014, 10:26:19 PM »
If it were me, and we were keeping the same songs minus one to include more of DT12, I would've done this:

False Awakening Suite
The Enemy Inside
The Looking Glass
On the Backs of Angels
Enigma Machine w/ drum solo
The Bigger Picture
Mirror
Lie
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
Scarred
Space Dye Vest

The Shattered Fortress
Behind the Veil
Trial of Tears
Surrender to Reason
Along For the Ride
Illumination Theory

Overture 1928
Strange Deja Vu
The Dance Of Eternity
Finally Free

Taking out BAI frees up about 13 min, which is enough for TBP/BTV, then they can just add another 7 for StR.
Also moved around a few songs where i feel they'd be a little more balanced in the set. It REALLY needs more albums to even it out more so that it's not an onslaught of 3 albums, 2 songs from their last tour and ToT.

I'm also bummed TSF made it into the set in lieu of TGP, which I really want to see live. 
THIS. I get they wanted to play songs never played before, and TSF is gonna be fun as hell live, but i think every DT fan (at least a huge majority) would rather TGP>TSF.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1261 on: January 15, 2014, 10:26:38 PM »
Well, so much for avoiding spoilers...

but yeah, hoooooly shit! I'm gonna cry if they change anything for the North American tour. This is about as good as a setlist can get, IMO.

The Shattered Fortress is finally getting played. That's awesome.

And Space-Dye Vest... Damn! I'm starting to wonder if them having not played it their entire career wasn't because of Moore, but because MP didn't want to play it.

And the encore.... Just.... Yeah, I'm gonna cry pretty hard if they change the encore for the North American leg.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1262 on: January 15, 2014, 10:34:01 PM »
And the encore.... Just.... Yeah, I'm gonna cry pretty hard if they change the encore for the North American leg.
Actually, I wouldn't mind if they put the SFAM anniv. spot where Awake is and add in Home, then put Awake as the encore and take out Lie.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1263 on: January 15, 2014, 10:34:56 PM »
I'm starting to wonder if them having not played it their entire career wasn't because of Moore, but because MP didn't want to play it.

... isn't that well-known? 

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1264 on: January 15, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
They played SIX songs of Awake (Plus LSOAD and SDV)?

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1265 on: January 15, 2014, 10:44:51 PM »
They played FIVE songs of Awake (Plus LSOAD and SDV)?

FTFY

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1266 on: January 15, 2014, 10:48:59 PM »
:o :o :heart This setlist is better than I could have ever wished. DT, :tup :tup

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1267 on: January 15, 2014, 10:59:44 PM »
They played FIVE songs of Awake (Plus LSOAD and SDV)?

FTFY
My bad. Still justifies the Cosby O Face though :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1268 on: January 15, 2014, 11:08:05 PM »
Also, I have to say it was smart putting both SFAM instrumentals in the encore - it gives a lot of breathing space for JLB at the end of a long show, especially after the 2nd half of Awake and "Illumination Theory" (but mostly the Awake stuff, being older and probably harder on his vocal range).

And not counting FAS, we've got 3 instrumentals in the whole show. That must be a record, eh?

Now, the bigger question is...will the show in Boston be the same set list, meaning, the Berklee World Strings and the Berklee Concert Choir would be performing the Awake and SFAM tunes, as well as "Illumination Theory"? If so, that'd be a neat way of celebrating both anniversaries...not that already having these 9 new-to-this-line-up tracks played live isn't already a treat.

Between this tour and last tour, we'll have had 7/8 of IAW, 8/11 of Awake, and 7/11 of SFAM. That's pretty impressive considering this is only this line-up's second tour.

Granted, we're still pretty short on the TOT, 8VM, and SC tunes, but considering they are more recent albums, I'm okay with this. I would have liked another WDADU song since they've only played 2/8 from there, and more FII since "Trial Of Tears" is only the 2nd song this line-up has played.

I guess we'll find out over the next two or three shows whether or not they'll rotate for this leg of the tour, and we'll have to wait til the end of March to see if they change anything up for the NA leg.

If they DO change anything, I hope there's some GOOD RECORDINGS from this leg to put on a later live release, a la "Happy Holidays 2013".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1269 on: January 15, 2014, 11:49:43 PM »
I wonder what the setlist B is gonna look like.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1270 on: January 15, 2014, 11:50:25 PM »
Considering it's a special show, i'd imagine it'd be slightly different in the second set to better utilize the choir and orchestra.

I say by the time the tour's completely over, they'll have plays all of I&W/Awake/SFAM/ADToE(already have)/DT12(obviously). That's 5/12 albums for 2 tour cycles with this line up. Not bad :p
I also expect some songs from SDOIT,ToT, 8VM and SC that weren't played last tour cycle, like TGP, Blind Faith, ITNOG, TDS, Panic Attack, Sacrificed Sons, Constant Motion, ITPOE pt. 1.
I also expect at least one other epic to be played at some point along the tour at least once. Maybe ACOS.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1271 on: January 15, 2014, 11:51:47 PM »
I wonder what the setlist B is gonna look like.

I'm also curious, if there actually is one of course.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1272 on: January 15, 2014, 11:54:01 PM »
Absolutely amazing set list. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Here's hoping it stays the same for the whole U.S. leg.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1273 on: January 16, 2014, 01:09:35 AM »
The second half of Awake and no The Bigger Picture? That's awesome. But I agree with Blob that there should be some IAW and SDOIT material. Don't care much about The Shattered Fortress or The Dance of Eternity.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #1274 on: January 16, 2014, 01:41:19 AM »
As one who isn't familiar with most of those tunes (by name, anyway), I am so psyched that you guys are so psyched about the list!

This is just adding more antici.....pation to my first DT gig.  Whoooooo! :metal
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1275 on: January 16, 2014, 03:01:51 AM »
From a neutral point of view, the setlist is pretty interesting. A couple of songs they have never played live before, and a few songs they haven't played in a lot of years. Yeah sure, they could have added a song from I&W and one from 6DOIT, but other than that it's a pretty interesting setlist.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: January 16, 2014, 03:17:21 AM »
How common is it that they don't have Metropolis in the setlist? To me it feels like that song (and maybe PMU) is obligatory :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1277 on: January 16, 2014, 03:44:09 AM »
Metropolis wasn't played at all during World Tourbulence, and PMU was only played as part of the PMU/Metropolis and When Images & Words Unite medleys on the SFAM tour.

Someone at metalsetlists.com said he had read an intie where Jordan said there'll be no alternate setlists on this tour. We'll see whether that's true after tonight's concert, but I hope Helsinki will get this setlist.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1278 on: January 16, 2014, 03:56:28 AM »
Yeah not sure how much rotation there will actually be this tour. I can see them switching it up a little bit between legs, but maybe not that much between shows.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1279 on: January 16, 2014, 06:11:12 AM »
I am shocked that TBP was not played. In a pre release interview JP called it the "centerpiece" of the album. I guess all he meant was that it was placed in the middle...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1280 on: January 16, 2014, 06:13:56 AM »
Yeah not sure how much rotation there will actually be this tour. I can see them switching it up a little bit between legs, but maybe not that much between shows.

Maybe just with some of the new CD tracks.  I could also see them alternating between the first half of Awake and the second half. There's no way AMBI doesn't get a lot of play this tour.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1281 on: January 16, 2014, 06:50:26 AM »
I can't say I'm thrilled but it is what it is. The Bigger Picture and Surrender To Reason are amazing songs that need to be played!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline mikidream

« Reply #1282 on: January 16, 2014, 07:39:46 AM »
Can someone post the total length of the concert (breaks included) please?  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: January 16, 2014, 08:43:08 AM »
I popped the tracks into a playlist and it came to 2.6 hours including FAS. That didn't include the drum solo or breaks so I'm guessing it comes out to 3 hours.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1284 on: January 16, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »
I wouldn't fret about The Bigger Picture, Behind the Veil, and Surrender to Reason not being played.  IIRC, several songs from ADTOE (This Is the Life and Lost Not Forgotten) weren't played until later on during that tour, so those three songs from DT12 will likely get their time in the set lists.  Just later rather than now.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1285 on: January 16, 2014, 09:11:27 AM »
my thoughts:
absolutely thrilled with the awake and sfam anniversaries: scarred and finally free are two of my favorite tracks so I'm stoked, and space dye vest is awesome due to its history with the band.  lsoad is cool but not necessary for me, i could go with a different track in that spot.
I'm happy to see bai again, but i could go without otboa.  i get why its there due to being grammy nominated, but having seen it both legs of adtoe tour i could have passed on it, compared to bai which sf only got second leg.  its also just not my favorite adtoe song
tsf is awesome and I'm glad to see it, and tot is cool but not one of my favorites, id rather have a different mini epic like itnog, but its ok.
I'm very happy with the DT12 song choices, and though I'm bummed no str, theres no one DT12 song id give up for its place (or that would make sense to give up).  I'm not that into tbp or btv, so I'm ok with that.

Overall I'm thrilled with this setlist and i hope it stays the same for the US leg, or if it does change i hope only my lesser tracks change  ;D
considering i've only seen two out of 18 of these songs live, not too shabby  :metal :metal

Offline mikidream

« Reply #1286 on: January 16, 2014, 09:13:15 AM »
I popped the tracks into a playlist and it came to 2.6 hours including FAS. That didn't include the drum solo or breaks so I'm guessing it comes out to 3 hours.

Thank you! I am very thrilled regarding the concert in London, now I have just to explain to my wife (that is so kind to accompany me even if she is not a DT fan) that the concert will last 3 hours :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1287 on: January 16, 2014, 09:14:18 AM »
I could also do without On the Backs of Angels, but given that it was grammy-nominated, I knew there was no way they wouldn't play it. 

Offline genome

« Reply #1288 on: January 16, 2014, 09:18:08 AM »

Thank you! I am very thrilled regarding the concert in London, now I have just to explain to my wife (that is so kind to accompany me even if she is not a DT fan) that the concert will last 3 hours :lol

The tracks come to 2hrs 33mins in total studio time, add I'd say ten minutes to that total for extensions and JLB talking to the crowd, and 15 minutes intermission = 2 hours 58 mins.

You could fit War Inside My Head in there somewhere ;D

Offline metrojam

« Reply #1289 on: January 16, 2014, 09:42:02 AM »
I hate to say it, but I'm disappointed with it personally. Nothing at all from IaW (my #3 album), nothing at all from SDOIT (my #1 album), only 1 song even from my top 20 (ToT), and 4 of my bottom 10 songs. And then they go and play TSF instead of what could have been The Glass Prison. The SFAM chunk and ToT are definitely the saving graces for me.
For a band with a discography with such a high percentage of songs I love, there's a lot there I don't really care for. :dunno:

With you totally on that bud. VERY disappointed with that set list apart from its finally nice to see "SDV" live purely for the novelty factor rather than the actual song itself. Still at least the "Encore" is smoking hot and very welcome.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #1290 on: January 16, 2014, 09:44:05 AM »
Actually, I wouldn't mind if they put the SFAM anniv. spot where Awake is and add in Home, then put Awake as the encore and take out Lie.

Even better would be to play ALL of SFAM again and leave out most, if not ALL, of the mediocre DT12 songs!!......

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1291 on: January 16, 2014, 09:44:45 AM »

The tracks come to 2hrs 33mins in total studio time, add I'd say ten minutes to that total for extensions and JLB talking to the crowd, and 15 minutes intermission = 2 hours 58 mins.

You could fit War Inside My Head in there somewhere ;D

Wait For Sleep

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1292 on: January 16, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »

Even better would be to play ALL of SFAM again and leave out most, if not ALL, of the mediocre DT12 songs!!......
I hate the fact they didn't play the entire new album! I love it!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1293 on: January 16, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »
Behind the Veil would be a killer opener for the second half of the set.  I would think they may rotate the songs off of the new album.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Vipmetal

« Reply #1294 on: January 16, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »
I'm so glad that they play Space-dye vest! I would place it on Top 5 list of mine if I had made one... Great atmosphere, brings a lot of memories from past to me. Kevin Moore did something right on that one.  :hat
DT fanboy from Finland