Author Topic: The Circus Maximus Thread (merged)  (Read 100209 times)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: The Circus Maximus Thread (merged)
« Reply #630 on: January 25, 2016, 06:35:10 AM »
Will listen.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #631 on: January 25, 2016, 06:49:10 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: February 01, 2016, 12:55:16 AM »
They have released new song, Havoc in Spotify!

After one listen I have to say I'm really disappointed about these two singles.  They have forgotten their progressive side totally. They went to the right direction with Nine with some poppy elements but this new album sounds like too radio friendly pushed album. Very talented musicians are sadly underused here. Hopefully there are still better songs to come....
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: February 01, 2016, 06:23:49 AM »
They have released new song, Havoc in Spotify!

After one listen I have to say I'm really disappointed about these two singles.  They have forgotten their progressive side totally. They went to the right direction with Nine with some poppy elements but this new album sounds like too radio friendly pushed album. Very talented musicians are sadly underused here. Hopefully there are still better songs to come....

I wouldn't say they have forgotten their prog side but this last song sounded like nu metal which is not really good....
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #634 on: February 01, 2016, 06:32:48 AM »
Wasn't really into that song at all, either. For their heavier moments I wish they had implemented some great headbang-able moments like on Namaste and Architect of Fortune, instead it just sounds, I don't know, predictable?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #635 on: February 01, 2016, 10:12:28 AM »
I haven't listened to those, I'll wait until the album comes out... hoping for the best, NINE was amazing!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #636 on: February 01, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
Well that was... Different.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #637 on: February 01, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »
A bit bizzare coming from CM but pretty good, I think.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #638 on: February 01, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
Well, my expectations've been tempered in a big way.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: February 01, 2016, 01:35:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQmkFW0kJas

New song in youtube form.

Um, yeah well this sucks.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #640 on: February 01, 2016, 01:50:19 PM »
I respect them for doing something different.  This is 90s grunge rock, imo.  Certainly, if this is the style of the whole album, I'll be disappointed.  But I gotta think this is just something for a little variety.

It wasn't terrible.  I wouldn't say this did anything to improve my excitement, but I'm also not too worried about the album as a whole.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #641 on: February 01, 2016, 03:13:59 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQmkFW0kJas

New song in youtube form.

Um, yeah well this sucks.

Wow, the youtube comments are really trashing it.  :lol

I respect them for doing something different.  This is 90s grunge rock, imo.  Certainly, if this is the style of the whole album, I'll be disappointed.  But I gotta think this is just something for a little variety.

It wasn't terrible.  I wouldn't say this did anything to improve my excitement, but I'm also not too worried about the album as a whole.

Yeah, this. Given the disparity between this and 'The Weight', I don't think either are a reliable indication of the rest of the album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: February 01, 2016, 03:20:16 PM »
I'll definitely check it out, but my anticipation now has decreased.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #643 on: February 01, 2016, 03:27:48 PM »
CM's Inspiration Corner:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: February 01, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »
 :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #645 on: February 01, 2016, 03:38:24 PM »

Damn, it definitely has a 90's vibe.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: February 01, 2016, 03:47:54 PM »
Geez- what to listen to today?  Dream Theater Superstar or Smells (a bit) Like Circus Maximus.  :-\

I am coming around to the DT a bit though.  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #647 on: February 01, 2016, 03:54:28 PM »
Brent, the Dream Theater is awesome. Just let it wash over you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #648 on: February 02, 2016, 03:12:26 AM »
The song sounds like average mid/late 90's grunge/nu-metal. And I do not think their sound and vocals fit that type of music at all here. I think it is crap, and I like 90's stuff.

Well, I hope they were having fun making this song, I just hope it doesn't even remotely represent the album in any way. Other song is good enough, heard it once.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: February 02, 2016, 04:24:53 AM »
I think it is crap, and I like 90's stuff.

Ditto.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: February 02, 2016, 08:19:28 AM »
I think I like this song better than the first single, but that's not saying much.

Definitely sounds like Marilyn Manson. 

Not really my cup of tea and I hate what they did to his amazing vocals.

I really have little interest in this album now, I'm sure I'll give it a shot because the rest of the album could be good, but I am not anticipating much here.

Offline E.S.

« Reply #651 on: February 02, 2016, 10:28:07 AM »
I've spent the last few years not giving a shit about metal, prog, Dream Theater or anything of the sort... But I enjoyed these. Nice to see bands doing what they want, even if it's far from what it used to be.
By the way, there's one new tune I've heard live at soundcheck that is absolutely stunning, so you all have something to look forward to. I don't know the title, but it's in there somewhere. It's one of the big catchy melodic ones. :)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #652 on: February 02, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »
I've spent the last few years not giving a shit about metal, prog, Dream Theater or anything of the sort... But I enjoyed these. Nice to see bands doing what they want, even if it's far from what it used to be.
By the way, there's one new tune I've heard live at soundcheck that is absolutely stunning, so you all have something to look forward to. I don't know the title, but it's in there somewhere. It's one of the big catchy melodic ones. :)

It's good to see you never took the Kevin Moore route when you left the band. Are you still doing anything music related?

Offline E.S.

« Reply #653 on: February 03, 2016, 02:41:14 AM »

It's good to see you never took the Kevin Moore route when you left the band. Are you still doing anything music related?
Sure, did even play a show with CM last year, celebrating 10 years. Terrible playing, tons of fun!
Apart from that, a couple of albums and selling instruments and gear in the local music store.

The music industry is a vile place. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. I like to be outside of it. :)

Offline TL

« Reply #654 on: February 04, 2016, 12:10:50 PM »
Hmm.

Just listened to the new songs. I really liked Nine, so my expectations were up.

Havoc, more than anything, is a bit generic. It's not awful, but it's not great either.
The Weight is better, but sounds like a B-Side from Nine. Now, again, I really like Nine, so there are worse things, but it just makes me want to listen to songs from that album instead.

I'll still check out the album.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:21:43 PM by TL »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: February 05, 2016, 11:18:50 AM »
I discovered this band in 2005. Loved the first two albums.  Loved 2 tracks and liked a 3rd off of Nine. The rest of the album for me is unlistenable. Hoping that there are some hidden gems in the upcoming for those of us who liked the band's original sound.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #656 on: February 17, 2016, 03:45:22 PM »
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the dislike ratio on the 'Havoc' video is... really bad. 241 dislikes to 311 likes (still more likes, but the rest of their discography have got like 95% likes at least). Operation: Mindcrime - The Stranger got better than that and even that's a rare low (speaking of GT, the lyrics on the song 'Havoc' sound like some of his worse lyrical output and that's really bad). I wonder what the band think about this reception.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #657 on: February 17, 2016, 04:40:27 PM »
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the dislike ratio on the 'Havoc' video is... really bad. 241 dislikes to 311 likes (still more likes, but the rest of their discography have got like 95% likes at least). Operation: Mindcrime - The Stranger got better than that and even that's a rare low (speaking of GT, the lyrics on the song 'Havoc' sound like some of his worse lyrical output and that's really bad). I wonder what the band think about this reception.

It sounds like a Marilyn Manson song, so it's no surprise it's so polarizing.

The difference between Circus Maximus and Operation: Mindcrime/Geoff Tate is that Tate has a lot of hardcore fanboys who will upvote anything he makes.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #658 on: February 25, 2016, 07:29:40 AM »
New song "Pages" from the upcoming album is now on Spotify!

The title track and The Weight were already growing on me a bit but this song basically confirmed that I want this album. Great balance between heavy and soft they got going on here, liking this more than half the stuff on Nine already.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: February 25, 2016, 07:33:15 AM »
New song "Pages" from the upcoming album is now on Spotify!

The title track and The Weight were already growing on me a bit but this song basically confirmed that I want this album. Great balance between heavy and soft they got going on here, liking this more than half the stuff on Nine already.

I'm on the other side of the road on this one. While I liked this song better than the previous 2, it's still underwhelming when compared to their previous work.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #660 on: February 25, 2016, 07:38:02 AM »
I agree with Nekov.

I am encouraged by this song--a step up from the previous two in my opinion. But better than half the stuff on Nine (not to mention the brilliance of 1st Chapter and so on)? Not yet, not for me at least.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: February 25, 2016, 02:03:42 PM »
This new song is pretty shit, just like the first two.  Don't know what's going on here with this band.  At least there's some decent soloing on this one I guess.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: February 25, 2016, 02:10:31 PM »
Heard it once and nothing got me to listen again. So sad because I love Nine so much....
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: February 25, 2016, 02:13:40 PM »
Heard it once and nothing got me to listen again. So sad because I love Nine so much....

Same, easily top 5 of that year.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #664 on: February 25, 2016, 02:23:34 PM »
I think the new one is really good actually.