Author Topic: Best way of dealing with colleagues unwanted advances?  (Read 5819 times)

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
Re: Best way of dealing with colleagues unwanted advances?
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 07:28:13 PM »
Same thing happened to me with a girl I had no interest in at all (although it doesn't happen with the ones I AM interested in, unfortunately) for four straight years. I had to finally just tell her (more than once) that I was not at all interested in her and blah blah. TBH, I feel kind of like an ass for being so direct about it since we've kind of ignored each other recently, but it's better than having someone annoying/harassing you all the time. Worth it, imo.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 07:38:55 PM »
..and straight?

No. I am gay. ...I probably didn't make that as clear as I should have.

It makes heaps more sense now

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2011, 08:06:48 PM »
Unfortunately, you are probably gonna have to be harsh and really hurt his feelings for him to get the idea, since your not-so subtle hints are obviously not working.  It would be understandable to feel bad about it, but by being this persistent and annoying about it, he has put you in a position where you are gonna have to be extremely blunt and honest as to why you have no interest in him (which will come off as harsh, but it is what it is) for him to really get the idea.  And don't let him play the "you are so mean" card to you or your friends.  

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »
get him fired. 

He doesn't get opportunity the to try anything physically while at work since we're in different departments and are kept equally busy. He'll talk about me to other staff but since I don't personally hear it, it probably wouldn't be fair to bring up/classify as sexual harassment. 90% of this happens outside of work.

In hindsight I probably shouldn't have put colleague in the thread title,  but I wouldn't classify him as a ''friend.''
It still certainly qualifies as sexual harassment.  However, I wasn't suggesting squealing to HR to get him fired.  I was thinking more along the lines of framing him for embezzlement/pilfering or something along those lines. 

Of course that approach is not for everybody.  Like I said (and others have echoed),  you're just going to have to be an asshole about it.  It's unfortunate, but it's a situation of his own creation. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 12:43:22 PM »
I don't think one has to be an asshole. I think a firm "This has to stop, now. If it doesn't I will have to engage HR in this." sets a very clear message without involving the outside world (yet).

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 01:00:46 PM »
I don't think one has to be an asshole. I think a firm "This has to stop, now. If it doesn't I will have to engage HR in this." sets a very clear message without involving the outside world (yet).

rumborak

I'm with you on this.  This is the way to go.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline secludedmayhem

• Town Apothecary
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 01:12:03 PM »

rumborak

I'm with you on this.  This is the way to go.

Agreed.  It definitely still qualifies as sexual harassment.  Go to HR - or if you feel bad about that warn him that if it doesn't stop you will go to HR.  Then it's his choice whether you do or not.
The media, on the whole, behaves like a malicious, retarded kid with ADHD.

rumborak

Offline The Ugliest Unicorn

• More than a horse
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 01:31:08 PM »
Got it. Thanks for all your feedback. Much appreciated. :)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 03:26:14 PM »
Go to HR, that's what they are for. It's plain sexual harassment, and yes, if it happens outside the work place it still is.

rumborak

XJDenton also said this earlier, and I'm agreeing with both of them.  Two things you may want to do: 1) Document the next time it happens.  Save the IM's, get screenshots, whathave you.  Actually, definately do that.  2) You may want to give him an ultimatum to stop or you're going to HR/boss if you think it will get him to stop, especially if you don't want to out yourself to your company or you think getting him in trouble will strain your other friendships.