Author Topic: Books made into movies sorta suck...  (Read 6874 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Books made into movies sorta suck...
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »
I have to agree about LOTR. It's an amazing story, but Tolkein's writing style is boring as fuck.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2011, 05:03:43 PM »
They leave out so much of the underlying stories.
In a movie setting, you only have ~90 minutes to tell a story, which is why this happen. Characters get cut from the movies, characters in the movie become amalgamations of different characters in the book, subplots are ignore. Different medias, different ways to tell a story.

I've always thought that if they were to make a movie of a book and they do the movie page for page as it is in the book, it'd be almost unbearable to watch.

A movie can be as long as they want it to be. LOtR movies were 210+ and then the extended versions even more.. and people still bought them even though they are so long. I'm not sure a 4hr HP movie would bother me if it did the story justice. Heck, turn it into a tv series like Game of Thrones! That would make it much better!
I completely agree about that last part.

But to your first point, yes they are that long, but none of those long cuts are the theatrical ones. They can make it the movie as long as they want sure, but they'll lose money in doing so. The longer it is, the less screenings it gets in a day. So they condense the story for movie theaters, probably at the studios behest.

EDIT: In fact, I'm rather happy I never got to see Tom Bombadil
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:08:49 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2011, 05:04:27 PM »
The LOTR movies are way better than the books.
This is so true, rumborak.  Really, Tolkein is NOT a good storyteller.

He's not.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »
This is so true, rumborak.  Really, Tolkein is NOT a good storyteller.

*snip*

He's not.

Considering The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion have been my favorite books since I was probably about 14, I have to disagree.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2011, 05:25:22 PM »
Coming up with a story and being able to tell it well are two different things.

Also, 14 year olds aren't typically the most discerning literary critics  :P
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2011, 05:27:44 PM »
I like them enough I've kept reading them every other year or so since then and they've only gotten better to me.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2011, 05:28:43 PM »
I like them enough I've kept reading them every other year or so since then and they've only gotten better to me.
Well, I guess that just means you're into sucky storytelling.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »
14 year olds aren't the most discerning literary critics, and I guess this:

The Da Vinci Code was a terrible movie because it was a terrible book.  And the book itself was already pretty much a movie.

I've never seen The Da Vinci Code, though.

Is hard hitting movie criticism.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2011, 05:37:33 PM »
14 year olds aren't the most discerning literary critics, and I guess this:

The Da Vinci Code was a terrible movie because it was a terrible book.  And the book itself was already pretty much a movie.

I've never seen The Da Vinci Code, though.

Is hard hitting movie criticism.

It is  :P

I've never seen The Da Vinci Code.  Most people seem to think it was bad.  I'm inclined to agree with them, because the book was bad.  And I don't see how it would've been altered much from page to screen based on how similar the book structurally was to a movie screenplay.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Too tired
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2011, 06:17:51 PM »
I thought the movie version of Thank You For Smoking was way better than the book, primarily because they made some changes to the story that I felt strengthened it overall and tied in better with the main character.

Otherwise, the principle problem with books being made into movies is that if you were to include everything in the book, most books would need nine hours to tell everything in the story. Characters and subplots will be invariably dropped, so in most cases, it will always feel incomplete. It just highlights the limits of what each medium can accomplish.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2011, 06:34:11 PM »
I find movies only infiltrate my visualization if they are superior to my imaginings. Example: Hagrid, Snape, Pippin and Merry-yep, Dumbledore, Gollum, and their settings- nope.

This is so true, rumborak.  Really, Tolkein is NOT a good storyteller.

Harry Potter --> movie is better
LOTR --> movie is better
To Kill A Mockingbird --> movie is better

There's no doubt LOTR is a great story but it is arguable that Tolkien's prose isn't very good (even though he comes out ahead in creating a living, breathing world). The fact that the few misteps the movies take tend to come from deviations from the text and script revisions tended to come back to it tells you Tolkien knew what he was doing.

On those adaptation

HP- JESUSCHRIST NO

LOTR and Mockingbird- debatable

Offline Ħ

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2011, 07:15:16 PM »
I changed my mind with HP.  HP 1, 2, and 4 were better than the books, but the rest were pretty bad.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2011, 07:20:58 PM »
The Da Vinci Code was an amazingly interesting book, one of the few times in my life I read a book at one go, 15 hours.

I thought it was alright. People raved about it back in the day. Angels and Demons was way better than TDC. Come to think of it, the movie and book version of A&D was better than the respective TDC versions.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2011, 09:01:02 PM »
Angels and Demons was awesome, haven't seen the movie though.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »
I changed my mind with HP.  HP 1, 2, and 4 were better than the books, but the rest were pretty bad.

Wow that's basically the exact opposite of my opinion. :lol Goblet is my favorite book, while the later movies (5-7) have been the ones worth watching, especially 5, which is the only one that comes close to rivaling the book.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »

Wow that's basically the exact opposite of my opinion. :lol Goblet is my favorite book, while the later movies (5-7) have been the ones worth watching, especially 5, which is the only one that comes close to rivaling the book.
The 5th book/movie are the worst of both.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2011, 05:11:30 PM »
Oof I dunno. Umbridge as a character brought out more hatred in me than almost any character I've ever seen/read about. To me that says something.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2011, 05:20:42 PM »
I thought the 5th book was the best.

Haven't seen the movie.  But I saw (and hated) the 6th one.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2011, 10:19:52 PM »
Tolkien is a great storyteller. The way he writes hasn't held up as strongly for the ADHD generation, but it's still really really good for anyone that gives it the time to really sink in. It does pick up and, by the end, you will feel exhausted but in a completely satisfied sort of way.

That said, I never had a problem with the film-adaptations. In fact, I like them alot. While they messed up the plot in a couple of areas and complicated it where it didn't need to be, I found it visually to be pretty much what I had in my mind. The exception to this was Legolas, who I always pictued with dark hair, and Faramir, who I just had imagined as completely different. Still, I was more than happy with much of the art-direction, especially the way they handled various locations and the towns/cities.

Harry Potter, idk. The books and movies have come-up side by side, so they do kinda seem to be woven together. I'm not particularly fond of HP, though, so I really didn't care if the movies screwed things about the books up.

David Lynch's Dune is a pretty good example of a book-film gone awry. The weird thing is, Lynch had the atmosphere down. And the changes to the story weren't horrible. But those damn shields...  >:(

Offline lodeus

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2011, 10:22:57 PM »
I know its a short story, but I'm still angry about A Sound of Thunder. Complete crap.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 10:24:20 PM »
Related to Harry Potter discussion:

In my opinion, Rowling lost her Mojo after number 4.  Six was decent, but 5 and 7 were pretty weak, and god fucking dammit, don't get me started with the epilogue to 7.  The fucking worst series ender I've ever read.   And, as for the movies, they generally ranged from mundane to fairly bad, with the exception of the third one which was really good.  The third one was also the best book, probably mostly because there was no Voldemort.  I'm a fan of all of the books just because I grew up with them (I was reading them in first grade through the rest of elementary school) and I still regard them fondly, but I don't care for any of the movies particularly except 3 nor any of the books after 4.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2011, 10:30:23 PM »
Reading 6 and 7 felt more like an obligation since I had invested so much time and excitement into the others as a kid. Probably why I didn't think the last book was all that great.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2011, 10:56:38 PM »
Angels and Demons was awesome, haven't seen the movie though.

It's a good watch, I'd say go for it. Miles and miles above TDC movie.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2011, 11:27:01 PM »
The 'Fight Club' movie was way better than Palahniuk's book. Especially the ending.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2011, 05:44:56 PM »
I've never found that my own imaginations are replaced when seeing a film. Movies and books are completely different forms of media and not at all comparable, so I treat them entirely separately. I find that adaptations cover the full spectrum, ranging from terrible to masterpiece.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2011, 05:46:32 PM »
YyeA took. Me lIke ages Ro clicklk

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »
I think the Wizard of Oz would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2011, 09:36:22 PM »
In my opinion, Rowling lost her Mojo after number 4.  Six was decent, but 5 and 7 were pretty weak, and god fucking dammit, don't get me started with the epilogue to 7.  The fucking worst series ender I've ever read.   And, as for the movies, they generally ranged from mundane to fairly bad, with the exception of the third one which was really good.  The third one was also the best book, probably mostly because there was no Voldemort.  I'm a fan of all of the books just because I grew up with them (I was reading them in first grade through the rest of elementary school) and I still regard them fondly, but I don't care for any of the movies particularly except 3 nor any of the books after 4.

I think it's a combination of her writing style changing and editors not being able to stand up to her to trim it up, with 5 being the worst offender. I still like 6 and thought 7 ended the series with a bang, minus the epilogue.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2011, 09:21:33 AM »
I wanna mention Blade Runner. I read the book before seeing the movie and I was very skeptical about it. Then I watched the movie and even thought the story was changed and the book is way better, it's still a great movie.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »
I don't understand the anger for HP 7 I have to say. The beginning is kinda sluggish, but the subtle WWII allusions in the book were excellent IMHO.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2011, 03:29:26 PM »
I prefer the LOTR-movies over the books, because I really think Tolkien's writing style is boring.

As for HP, I much prefer the books.
The movies are not bad, but like people have mentioned, they leave out so many important side-things, characters get's way too less time and such, and obviously it's something that happens due to the time restraint in a movie, but in the case with HP it just doesn't work.
I do think the books got slightly worse near the end, when I had finished the last I didn't really feel much.
The whole epilogue felt fairly rushed, and I don't really like the fact that Rowling decided to kill off a lot of characters, which didn't really feel like it was needed.

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2011, 04:22:22 PM »
thread title is really generalizing.... example, blacks commit the most crime in america but do they do all of it?? of course not!! its the same with this.... like, the LOTR movies are def better than books.... for reasons others have stated already :)
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2011, 04:35:39 PM »
You are a real treat, huh? :lol

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2011, 04:36:35 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2011, 04:07:45 AM »
example, blacks commit the most crime in america but do they do all of it?? of course not!! its the same with this
???  What you said here could be construed by some as a possible violation of Rule 5.  I'm not giving you a Warning, but be more careful.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.