Author Topic: Books made into movies sorta suck...  (Read 6878 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Books made into movies sorta suck...
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:42:05 PM »
Anyone else always a bit bummed at how a movie adaptation kinda replaces the rich world you yourself created in your head when you read the book? This has happened to me with both LOTR and Harry Potter. I had this rich tapestry of places and characters in my mind, but once I watched the movie it all got replaced by Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: Books made into movies sorta suck...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:43:23 PM »
Not really. I mean, of course we think of characters in our head, but I, like you, replace them with their movie characters if I re-read anything. It doesn't bother me really.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:47:07 PM »
I usually just judge adaptations on their own merits, not by how well they mimic the book, but I know what you mean.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 12:47:31 PM »
This happened to me with Timeline and The Andromeda Strain. They were decent enough movies and helped create a solid reality to connect what I read to what I saw, but the books are always better. I think it happens because the movie only has so much time to let the story unfold.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »

Not really. I mean, of course we think of characters in our head, but I, like you, replace them with their movie characters if I re-read anything. It doesn't bother me really.

Really? It definitely bugs me that this "invention" of mine got forcefully replaced by a version that I always perceive as less compelling.

rumborak

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:09:52 PM »
The LOTR movies are way better than the books.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »
This is so true, rumborak.  Really, Tolkein is NOT a good storyteller.

Really, it depends.  I know all my English teachers in middle school and high school all thought Hollywood ruined everything, but there are some good adaptations, and some that are better than the books.  I would actually argue that most movie adaptations are better than their books.  Conversely, book adaptations of movies are often even worse (Star Wars for instance).

Harry Potter --> movie is better
LOTR --> movie is better
To Kill A Mockingbird --> movie is better
Eragon --> both are terrible
etc.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 01:24:59 PM »
Don't watch the movies then. ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »
I try to read the books after if I haven't read them already.  You can never get a whole book into a movie some things just have to be let out.

But I'll tell you one that does drive me insane, The Lost World.  Spielberg ruined it adding the homage to King Kong.  Man did I hate that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 01:32:37 PM »
The Lost World was similar to the book in name only.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 01:35:44 PM »
The Lost World was similar to the book in name only.
Yea.  It had the outline but it missed it's chance to scare the bleep out of us.  That book had me on the edge.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »

LOL

NO

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 01:37:58 PM »
I haven't seen 4, 5, 6 or 7 but the Prisoner of Azkaban was a textbook on how not to make a good movie.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 01:46:45 PM »
As cool as adaptations would be if they were pretty much word-for-word from the book, they can sometimes be more boring that way.  Like, halfway through the movie the whole "wow this world I imagined is coming to life" thing would wear off and you'd just be like, "But now I already know what happens."

Which is why it's cool sometimes to have movie adaptations that kind of take the same spirit and concept of the book in a slightly different direction.  That way it has the same charm of being the world you imagined, but it's different enough to not make you feel like your imagination is being subverted.  

But then you have movies like The Lost World, which take things in a way different direction (T-Rex in the big city) and don't remain true to the spirit of the book, and take the concept in a totally ridiculous direction and just generally fuck everything up.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »

Did your post run out of green font?

LOTR --> movie is better

wot.

rumborak

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »
I always want to read the book first and then see how they changed it up for the movie.  I thought Peter Jackson did a great job with the movies.  Of course I haven't read the books again after seeing the movies so I'm not sure if it ruins it for me or not.  I just like being able to watch a movie and know the in between details.  Plus I was happy to see that they left Tom Bombadil out.   :P

Come to think of it.  I don't think I've ever read a book after I've watched the movie.  It's always been the other way around.  For me the movie is like a bonus feature for the book.  Or a reward.  The only movie I really hated after reading the book was The Pelican Brief.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »
I haven't seen 4, 5, 6 or 7 but the Prisoner of Azkaban was a textbook on how not to make a good movie.

i think PoA is the best hp movie by far

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
LOTR --> movie is better
Umm no.

Agreed on the rest though.

Kosmo

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 02:03:25 PM »
The first two Harry Potter movies blew chunks and I haven't even given a chance to the rest. Some baby back bullshit they were.

Offline Durg

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 02:07:22 PM »
I have yet to see the Shutter Island movie.  But I read the book.  Is the movie any good?

What about The Mist.  That movie was pretty good especially the way they changed the ending.  That ending made me physically sick!
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Durg

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 02:10:07 PM »
I hope Ron Howard doesn't screw this one up.

https://www.darktowermovies.com/

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 02:17:42 PM »
I have yet to see the Shutter Island movie.  But I read the book.  Is the movie any good?

What about The Mist.  That movie was pretty good especially the way they changed the ending.  That ending made me physically sick!
  I have read the book and have seen the movie (Shutter island). I LOVE Scorsese, and thought the movie was good. Thought he could have made the movie a bit more, edge of seat interesting, but you can basically figure out the plot about halway thru (even if you havent read the book).
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 02:34:11 PM »
LOTR --> movie is better
Umm no.

Agreed on the rest though.
If it wasn't for Gregory Peck's flawless performance as Atticus, I would agree with you, but as is I'm calling it a tie.  Sidenote- my parents just took of to Ashland to see a stage performance of To Kill A Mockingbird, I am so fucking jealous.  The court scene on stage has potential to be utterly awesome.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 02:36:51 PM »

He will.  The production team is just awful.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 04:18:27 PM »
The Lord of the Rings novel is so long-winded, full of unnecessary characters, events, conversations, and descriptions.  Tom Bombadil has been mentioned, and I'd like to add that the Saruman/Grima bit at the end of Return of the King was so poorly placed and really stupid.

Peter Jackson did the series a favor and diluted out all the lameness.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »

He will.  The production team is just awful.

Probably won't get made anyway.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 04:34:34 PM »
Anyone else always a bit bummed at how a movie adaptation kinda replaces the rich world you yourself created in your head when you read the book? This has happened to me with both LOTR and Harry Potter. I had this rich tapestry of places and characters in my mind, but once I watched the movie it all got replaced by Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom.

rumborak
Agreed. This happened to me with The silence of the Lambs. . The movie won the Oscar for Best Picture, and even with that, I thought it was dull compared to the book which I read before. Obviously, a movie generally cannot match the depth of a book. A Time to Kill, The Shine, Watchmen: good movies, but nowhere nearly as good as the books. Of course there are some movies that many would think surpass the original books (The Godfather and Schindler's Ark), but reading the books is a pleasure and they do not come as mediocre, whereas movies often do.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 04:41:59 PM by reneranucci »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 04:48:09 PM »
I prefer LOtR movies over the books. I got so bored reading some of those books. As for HP, I can't even watch the movies. They leave out so much of the underlying stories. My favorite book became a mess of cut and paste.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
They leave out so much of the underlying stories.
This is the main point of the discussion here, I think.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 04:51:39 PM »
The Da Vinci Code comes to mind. That movie was so bad it was designed to repel people who wanted to read the book.. what a minute, could it have been on purpose?! heh
Great cast but horrible execution all around.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 04:54:26 PM »
In a movie setting, you only have ~90 minutes to tell a story, which is why this happen. Characters get cut from the movies, characters in the movie become amalgamations of different characters in the book, subplots are ignore. Different medias, different ways to tell a story.

I've always thought that if they were to make a movie of a book and they do the movie page for page as it is in the book, it'd be almost unbearable to watch.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
The Da Vinci Code was a terrible movie because it was a terrible book.  And the book itself was already pretty much a movie.

I've never seen The Da Vinci Code, though.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »
The Da Vinci Code was an amazingly interesting book, one of the few times in my life I read a book at one go, 15 hours.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 04:57:51 PM »

Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 04:58:40 PM »
In a movie setting, you only have ~90 minutes to tell a story, which is why this happen. Characters get cut from the movies, characters in the movie become amalgamations of different characters in the book, subplots are ignore. Different medias, different ways to tell a story.

I've always thought that if they were to make a movie of a book and they do the movie page for page as it is in the book, it'd be almost unbearable to watch.

A movie can be as long as they want it to be. LOtR movies were 210+ and then the extended versions even more.. and people still bought them even though they are so long. I'm not sure a 4hr HP movie would bother me if it did the story justice. Heck, turn it into a tv series like Game of Thrones! That would make it much better!