Author Topic: Memphis, the Broadway musical  (Read 1001 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Memphis, the Broadway musical
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:05:33 PM »
I just saw this over the weekend. Fucking awesome. Quite possibly the best musical I've seen on Broadway. Cool story bro.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: Memphis, the Broadway musical
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:33:25 AM »
Its coming to Chicago in November.  I may have to check it out.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline secludedmayhem

• Town Apothecary
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:35:03 AM »
You will have to tell me what you liked about it as well as what else you've seen on Broadway... For me, it was the worst piece of garbage I've seen in a LONG time.
The media, on the whole, behaves like a malicious, retarded kid with ADHD.

rumborak

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 12:08:53 AM »
I dug it because I dug the music and I'm a sucker for the "little music guy gets huge" plot. I have a thing for people trying to make music their life. Rent is my favorite play ever for the entire reason that Roger wants to make one last song before he dies. Gets me every time. I'm also a sucker for Rockstar.

I've seen:

Phantom of the Opera
Lion King
Beauty and the Beast
Spamolot
Hair
Bengel Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo (non musical)

I think that might be it.

What exactly did you hate about it?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:13:58 AM by 73109 »

Offline secludedmayhem

• Town Apothecary
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 07:51:54 AM »
I want to clarify I was only curious about what else you'd seen on Broadway to see if they would point to your love of Memphis.  I apologize if it came off as a personal attack.

My problem with Memphis was more in a lack of execution than a lack of a good idea.  Some of the songs were good/memorable but most were mediocre.  Now, I don't doubt that in context of a concert or a CD those songs would hold up, but they didn't function in a musical.  Why write a piece of Musical Theater when most of your songs aren't going to move the plot or develop characters?  I felt the writers fell into the GLEE trap of "I'm emotional, NOW LETS SING A SONG! THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE SONGS TO SING!".

I saw it back when it first opened so I've forgotten a lot of my qualms.   I hated the ending though.  It felt rushed and had a huge lack of payoff.  That kind of goes for the show itself - not once did I feel any suspense over what was going to happen to these characters; not once did I care.  I think that was a big problem for me as well.  I too like the "little music guy gets huge" plot but I HATED the main character.  I found him completely obnoxious, naive, and flighty.

What did I like?  The orchestra was AWESOME.  That was about it for me.

With regards to RENT, I love that show.  I really do.  I have qualms with it but those don't get in the way of my enjoying the show.  They're little things.  i.e. it took Roger a year to write THAT song?  Also, if you watch the movie, Mark Cohen makes shitty documentaries.  But the piece as a whole is just incredible.

rumborak

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »
See, I think the problem you had, especially when refering to the "GLEE trap," was that the musical was basically fluff. You will be hardpressed to find a real, thoughtful musical on broadway, seeing as how the target audience is a bunch of tourists who come into NY to have fun. You wanted something of depth and I don't think any of today's modern shows would give that to you. I'm like that because I'd prefer to see a play rather than a musical, and I am happy I saw Bengel Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo before it closed. I also really really really want to see Jerusalem and/or The Mother Fucker with the Hat. So, all in all, the musical was there to entertain. Many songs were cool, but you are right, some did not really enhance the plot but rather made an emotional point (i.e Colored Girls, Memphis Lives in Me) I do, however, slightly agree with you about the ending. Unlike you, I loved Huey, and after all the shit that happened to him, the last song seemed like a major let down. So, it wasn't so much that I did not like the ending, more so that it left me thinking the play was...unfinished.

But yeah, I can't really think of a lot of musicals where one would say they have "substance." RENT for sure and probably Hair. More music related.

Offline secludedmayhem

• Town Apothecary
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 10:52:46 AM »
To counter, I LOVED "Legally Blonde" which is a fluff piece.  The difference is, "Legally Blonde" is intelligently put together with songs and lyrics moving the plot and developing the characters rather than just singing songs for the sake of having a song to sing.  

I'd agree the ending made "Memphis" feel unfinished.  It's just tough for me to accept the "We're black, everyone hates us, LET'S SING THIS REALLY COOL SONG!" attitude.  That being said, "Hairspray" is far guiltier of that than "Memphis" is.

The other musical that could be considered fluff that I highly recommend is "Jersey Boys".  That and "Book of Mormon" are probably my favorite musicals out there right now.  

I'd love to see Jerusalem myself - if for no other reason than Mark Rylance.

rumborak

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »
Seeing The Book of Mormon in October!! :metal

Offline secludedmayhem

• Town Apothecary
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »
Awesome!  i'll anxiously await your thoughts - I had to wait on the standing room line for 5 hours to get tickets.  Actually, my girlfriend waited and I worked/went to a rehearsal.  Hey! Don't judge!  I joined her for a couple hours!

rumborak

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »
I will most definitely give my opinion. I'll be seeing it October 1st and I can't wait.