Author Topic: LLTWM's Top 52 Favourite Albums  (Read 17425 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: LLTWM's Top 52 Favourite Albums
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »
YAY RED!

Relayer is also pretty good.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »
The Yes Album through Relayer is the best string of albums ever. Five 10s in a row. Going for the One is a 9 for me.

The Gates of Delirium is one of my top five songs of all time. Yes was on fire on that one and Sound Chaser. Keyboardist Patrick Moraz brought some interesting elements to the group. Too bad he was only on one studio album.

Your avatar makes me feel violated.

And yeah, Relayer is a really good album.

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2011, 03:43:26 PM »
really good list lots of prog!!
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2011, 12:18:05 PM »
Sorry guys, but I can't even get any today because it's Canada Day which means partayy! :D So I'll make a shitload of updates tomorrow.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2011, 02:27:22 PM »
Sorry guys, but I can't even get any today because it's Canada Day which means partayy! :D So I'll make a shitload of updates tomorrow.

So you don't have time to update bot you do have time to vote for Discipline??!! Not nice of you  :P
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2011, 10:21:54 AM »
22. Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

A one song album, haha. Anyways, it's really, really awesome and doesn't feel overlong at any point. Not many 40 minute songs can do that. It's structure is impeccable too and it runs very smoothly. It's very ironic how an album that is mocking the pretentiousness of prog could become one of the gems of all prog. I definitely think this is JTs best without question.
Favourite tracks: Hmm...
21. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History

This is one of the most unique metal albums I've ever heard. I've always loved how SGM likes to make their own instruments, and they use these inventions quite a bit on this album, making many noises you won't hear on any other album. This albums opener is really, really cheesy, but after that everything is awesome and unique. Also, Nils Frykdahl is one of the best vocalists ever. SO ENERGY! POWER!
Favourite tracks: The Donkey-Headed Adversary of Humanity Opens the Discussion, Phthisis, Gunday's Child, FC: The Freedom Club
20. System of a Down - Steal This Album!

Alright this is definitely the most controversial pick on the list. Not only am I giving SOaD a really high spot on the list, but I'm giving it to their least popular album. Why? Because I love it and SOaD is the band that got me to love music. Why do I love this one the most? I don't know. I like the songs the best. Plus, Nuguns has a mandolin solo! So awesome. :metal Anyways, I know lots of people here hate on SOaD, but they are one of my favourite bands.
Favourite tracks: I.E.A.I.A.I.O, A.D.D., Mr. Jack, Ego Brain

Offline jsem

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2011, 10:27:57 AM »
 :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2011, 10:28:56 AM »
lolSoADIveheardofthisbandlol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »
Great choices! Not that hot on Thick as a Brick, but the other two are brilliant.

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2011, 06:29:01 PM »
19. Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

Alright so finally an album from my favourite band on the list. This is their most highly regarded album, yet also probably their hardest to get into. It's chock full of moments of dissonance and insanity. By dissonance and insanity, I don't mean Unexpect-style, I mean it in a totally different way that you'd have to hear to understand. Yet it's also a beautiful work of art. This is also very psychedelic for them. It only has 3 songs, 2 of them masterpieces (Lemmings and A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers) and one that is very good but kinda overrated (Man-Erg). A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is one of my favourite songs of all time. I advise not to start with the band with this release, at it is not very accessible at all, but it is definitely a masterpiece.
Favourite tracks: A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, Lemmings
18. Gong - You

This album is sort of a bridge between two eras. The space-rock era of Gong and the jazz fusion era of Gong. It's a really nice blend, too. Master Builder is probably my favourite drumming song of all time, and the drumming is actually great throughout. It's a very weird album lyrically and is the 3rd album of a trilogy of albums known as the Radio Gnome Invisible Trilogy. As I said, it is sort of a bridge between eras, so you get space-rock tracks like Thoughts for Naught and A Sprinkling of Clouds, jazz tracks like The Isle of Everywhere, and blends like You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever and Master Builder.
Favourite tracks: Master Builder, You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever, A Sprinkling of Clouds
17. Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquieme Saison - Harmonium

I really think I should've ranked this higher, but here it is. This could be the most beautiful album I've ever heard. Harmonium is unique in the sense that they never use drums, yet the music is so coherent and smooth you'd never notice. They aren't virtuosos at their instruments, like most prog bands usually possess, but the songs are so flawless in structure that you can tell they're incredibly musically adept and must have put so much thought and soul into these songs, kinda like classical composers. This album is hands-down essential for any prog fan. If you haven't heard, listen now.
Favourite tracks: Depuis L'Automne, Histoires Sans Paroles
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:11:46 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2011, 10:45:18 PM »
16. Genesis - Foxtrot

Definitely had to include this. This is the album that got me to love prog in general and not just be a DT fanboy. I pretty much knew from the opening to Watcher of the Skies that I would love this. Plus, it has Supper's Ready, one of the greatest songs ever written. Honestly, what's not to love about this album? Every song is memorable in it's own way and when I first got it, I played it and played it for hours on end. It had that kind of effect on me. Awesome album. Also, Can-Utility and the Coastliners is another amazing song. Never have I heard a song do so much in 5-6 minutes.
Favourite tracks: Supper's Ready, Can-Utility and the Coastliners
15. In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

Another big album for me. I don't love this album just because of what it started. I love it because this is genuinely amazing music. I Talk to the Wind is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Epitaph is an incredibly powerful piece of music. The title track uses great imagery and has that iconic mellotron riff. 21st Century Schizoid Man has it's own unique charm. And Moonchild, although hated by many, I love as well and I think it is beautiful. I don't listen to it as much anymore, but when I do it still carries that charm.
Favourite tracks: Epitaph, The Court of the Crimson King
14. Pain of Salvation - BE

I'm sure I made Nick proud by putting this album so high. Anyways, it's really self-indulgent and bombastic, but that's the beauty of it. It also has one of my favourite concepts of any concept album ever. Hell, maybe even my favourite. And it's delivered so awesomely and powerfully. I mean, that's what Daniel Gildenlow is good at doing, but it works at it's best on this album. This is really an odd one out in their discography it would seem, but it's my favourite without a doubt. Very awesome album.
Favourite tracks: Iter Impius, Imago

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2011, 10:54:25 PM »
Cool to see some props to Genesis. I always feel that they are the least appreciated of the 70s prog forerunners.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Some great picks right there! :tup

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2011, 03:51:27 AM »
Three fantastic albums!

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »
13. The Mars Volta - Amputechture

Even though Cassandra Gemini is one epic song, Tetragrammaton will always be my favourite TMV song. This album doesn't have as many explosions of noise as Frances, which could be a disadvantage, but it doesn't feel as bloated and is a lot easier to take in. Tetragrammaton, Meccamputechture, Viscera Eyes, and The Day of the Baphomets are all masterpiece quality songs and all perfect. Amazing album.
Favouite tracks: Tetragrammaton, Day of the Baphomets
12. Magma - Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh

Here is what many consider to be Magma's masterpiece. Magma is definitely one of the most unique bands you will ever here. Their music can be seen as very inaccessible and you gotta be ready for weirdness if you're gonna check 'em out. :P They're kinda like prog mixed with jazz and operatic choirs, and they sing in a language constructed by the drummer, Christian Vander, known as Kobaian. This album was when they truly found their form. The production is terrible, unfortunately, as the bass and drums, two of the key factors of Magma, are drowned in the mix. But this is one insane album nonetheless. I can't pick a favourite as it should all be taken in as one epic, but let me just say that Nebehr Gudahtt may be the weirdest most insane song ever written by any band. It's hard to believe a male could screech like that. :lol
Favourite tracks: All
11. Anglagard - Hybris

This is another absolutely essential masterpiece of prog that many prog fans have not heard. The whole purpose of this band is to provide a 70s prog feel while still being a 90s band. And they do it perfectly (well except for the fact that the production is new). They even only use instruments that were used in the 70s. They sound just like a 70s prog band, yet they have a completely original sound to them. You could throw them right in with the 70s prog bands and they'd fit right in. They're definitely influenced by them, but their sound is original and true. If you haven't heard this album and love 70s prog, do listen to Jordrok immediately. Wonderful song.
Favourite tracks: Jordrok, Kung Bore

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2011, 11:34:47 AM »
Not familiar with the last three... Also yay top 10!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2011, 11:35:42 AM »
good job with Amputechture. It is indeed the best Volta album.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2011, 09:22:13 PM »
10. Pink Floyd - Animals

This is definitely Pink Floyd's best for me. I understand it can be pretty polarizing, as some consider it amongst their best while others think it's pretty bad by Pink Floyd standards. I obviously fall into the former camp. This album is really, really amazing. Dogs is my favourite song by PF and Sheep is in my top 5. Pigs is also an amazing song (DAT COWBELL). I actually didn't like this album at first, but now it's here on the list. So it grew, and it is amazing.
Favourite tracks: Dogs, Sheep
9. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

I know most think their best is (), but this one is by far my favourite. Every song here is absolutely beautiful and I can't find flaw in any of them. They all carry this soothing, optimistic feel throughout them. Viorar Vel Til Loftarasa is my favourite song in all post-rock. The buildup to the bowed guitar is one of the most wonderful moments in all music. Olsen Olsen is also a very beautiful song with a beautiful, majestic louder section. I could go on to explain my full thoughts on every song, but I'm too lazy to write all that. :P So I'll just say this album is flawless and amazing.
Favourite tracks: Viorar Vel Til Loftarasa, Olsen Olsen, Svefn-g-englar

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2011, 09:35:53 PM »
Oh my god, both of these albums are incredible.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2011, 10:27:25 PM »
Oh my god, both of these albums are incredible.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2011, 04:51:09 AM »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2011, 05:09:16 AM »
Animals :heart

That album was a grower for me, I instantly loved DSOTM, WYWH, and The Wall, but Animals took many listens before it clicked.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2011, 09:25:33 AM »
Animals :heart

That album was a grower for me, I instantly loved DSOTM, WYWH, and The Wall, but Animals took many listens before it clicked.

Animals was the grower for PF for me, it took me a long time to like it. It still doesn't finish in the top 5 PF albums but it's definitely solid.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2011, 10:02:13 AM »
Man, you do have a great taste for music. I've never been able to get in The Mars Volta. I've listened to Amputechture several time and I just can't swallow it. The rest of the records are fantastic. Haven't listened much to Pain of Salvation though.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »
8. Magma - K.A.

Best comeback album ever. Magma had released Merci in 1984, and it was by far their worst album. 20 years later in 2004, they released this, and it is their best IMO. It is mostly regarded as one of their better albums actually and with good reason. This album only has 3 tracks: K.A. I, K.A. II, and K.A. III, and all 3 are fantastic. Nothing beats the first one though. Even though it is the shortest, it is definitely the most powerful, epic, and hard-hitting. They fired all cylinders on this album and it definitely shows. It's still got their trademark weirdness and uniqueness of course, although not as insane as on MDK, but they are still insane.
Favourite tracks: K.A. I, K.A. III
7. Van der Graaf Generator - Godbluff

This one somewhat suffered from the fact I overplayed it. I still cannot deny it's awesomeness and power though, but if you asked me a few months ago it'd be #1. Like all 4 of VdGG's masterpiece albums, it doesn't have many tracks. In this case 4. But all 4 of them are awesome in their own way. Undercover Man is a beautiful ballad, Scorched Earth is a hard-hitting and proggy rocker type track, Arrow is just insane and has Peter Hammill screaming at maximum power, and The Sleepwalkers is one of the best songs ever and has an impeccable structure. This one is a lot more accessible than Pawn Hearts, but it's still got that trademark VdGG style. Oh and the transition from Undercover Man to Scorched Earth is the best transition ever.
Favourite tracks: The Sleepwalkers, Arrow

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2011, 11:51:46 AM »
This list is prog as fuck.

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »
We aren't going to see an Ayreon album are we :(

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2011, 12:17:15 PM »
Nope. I do love The Human Equation and am fond of Into the Electric Castle though.

Offline jsem

« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »
Arrow and Sleepwalker are EPIC EPIC songs.

Sleepwalker break with the Sax melody is the best section in any song ever. (possible overstatement :P)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2011, 04:29:03 PM »
Not far off. That section is amazing, and so are the vocals afterwards.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »
6. Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways

Alright so this isn't their most highly regarded album. Nowhere near really. But it's my favourite, like it or not. :P Every song here is amazing to me, especially both phases of the title track and Moonloop, and Stars Die is amazing as well. Sure it's slow and lazy, and many find it top Pink Floyd-ey (which I really disagree with), but it's my personal favourite and it's this high on the list. :P
Favourite tracks: The Sky Moves Sideways Phase One, Moonloop, The Sky Moves Sideways Phase Two
5. Jean Louis - Jean Louis

Alright, I'll be genuinely surprised if even one person here has heard this album. It's probably the most obscure album on this list, but it's really amazing. It's an avant-garde jazz album, very different from any jazz album you'll ever hear. The trumpet makes all sorts of noises that's always entertaining. The bass is also pretty awesome throughout the album and the whole thing is constantly entertaining. As I said, it's very different from any other jazz album you'll ever hear, but it should still please any jazz fan.
Favourite tracks: Zakir, Airbus

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2011, 04:57:54 PM »
The Sky Moves Sideways is amazing, screw the haters.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2011, 05:05:11 PM »
Stars Die :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2011, 05:47:38 PM »
The Sky Moves Sideways is amazing, screw the haters.
Stars Die :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

THESE
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2011, 06:07:58 PM »
Yo I'm kind of late on this, but mad props for including Steal This Album. I feel that album is far too often overlooked because people don't see it as a "true" studio album, which is a real shame. The whole album is rock solid.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.