Author Topic: [Music] Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings  (Read 9250 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
[Music] Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
« on: June 23, 2009, 08:56:41 PM »
Dream Theater  - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Progressive Metal

To call Black Clouds & Silver Linings a thank you from Dream Theater to their fans would not be unfounded. Ever since the release of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence in 2002, the band’s been experimenting with their sound, asking their supporters to bear with them as they leapfrogged from genre to genre, sometimes radically so. Their last effort, Systematic Chaos, despite trying to rekindle a more balanced Dream Theater style, fell short of the high standards they’d established for themselves throughout their career, and left some wondering (myself included) whether or not they were relevant anymore.

So here’s Dream Theater, with their milestone 10th studio release, extending their hands to their fans as if to say, ‘Thanks for waiting’. What they’ve managed to do with Black Clouds & Silver Linings is nothing short of remarkable; they’ve shocked people into realizing that they’re still capable of grandeur. They’re still capable of crafting moving music, even if their lyrics fall short at times (alright, most of the time). And, most interestingly, the album cannot be enjoyed to its fullest unless you have knowledge of the band’s discography, history, and inner workings to some extent.

Take “The Best of Times”, for example. Mike Portnoy writes, “Remember ‘seize the day’”, a phrase we’ve heard from him before on the watershed epic “A Change of Seasons”.  There, he says goodbye to his father, Mr. Howard Portnoy, who Dream Theater fans have heard of on multiple occasions over the years via print, radio and video interviews. Although from a lyrical standpoint, Portnoy’s words are clichéd, they strike a chord with the listener regardless because he isn’t writing lyrics so much as he’s speaking to his father. Portnoy’s willingness to bare his soul is very touching, a topic John Petrucci explores more generally with his own composition, “Wither”. Although it’d be wrong to say the song affects Dream Theater fans more strongly because we feel Howard Portnoy’s loss as well – because we never really knew him – there’s no question our awareness of Mike Portnoy’s closeness to him allows for us to meet the lyrics with less resistance.

In the case of “The Shattered Fortress”, the final movement of the Twelve Step Suite which started seven years ago with “The Glass Prison” and has continued on every album since, knowledge of the band’s discography isn’t just recommended if you want to enjoy the thing. It’s mandatory. The track is so cut-and-paste and made up of so many of the Suite’s previously existing riffs that anyone approaching it without having heard its preceding parts will be clueless beyond measure. And if by chance you are familiar with what came before it, then you’ll be rewarded immensely; it’s a solid closer. The inclusion of the “Glass Prison” line at its conclusion, in particular, is chilling in the same way the inclusion of the “Metropolis” riff is in “Home”.

Really, the only time the record flutters is when the band tries to be heavy. Its first two songs, “A Nightmare to Remember” and “A Rite of Passage”, are quite metal, but they’re also very bland as well. Their only saving grace is a short middle section found during the former which, fittingly, isn’t heavy at all. I get the sense from those compositions that Dream Theater has never been at their best when trying to be metal. I’ve always thought Train of Thought showed a portrait of a group out of their element, and it’s no different here. For their next effort, I hope they realize this and stick to what turned out best on Black Clouds.

Basically, guys, do whatever you did when writing “The Count of Tuscany”.

Not since anything off Images & Words has any Dream Theater song been so majestic in the way the guitars compliment the keyboards and the way only melody matters. Despite Petrucci’s strange lyrics that somehow make a horrible experience sound funny, the thing works anyway. It excels because it shows what can result when musicians of the highest caliber use their powers for good, and not for evil. It’s a wonder of sound, melodies that resound within the mind and baffle in how smooth they go down. Jordan Rudess has a lot to do with that, I think, a guy who I’ve harshly criticized for not taking anything seriously but who’s proven, time and time again, that when he zones in, he’s a legendary talent.

Although its two misfires hinder it, Black Clouds & Silver Linings is, regardless, a surprisingly good effort from an outfit many had lost all interest in. I doubt its splendor is superficial, even after only owning it for a short while, because its interests lie where I’ve always wanted Dream Theater’s interests to lie (mostly). It plays out like a reward to the fans for allowing the group to tinker with their sound for all these years, and then, unlike Metallica did with Death Magnetic where they tried to recapture a record of old, they took the torch and they ran forward with it. They knew their transformation was complete, and they wanted to show us what they’d become.

And I like what I see.

***1/2 (out of five)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:11:23 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: [Music] Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:10:42 PM »
I really don't understand how those two songs, especially A Nightmare to Remember, are "gargantuan misfires"- that's kind of stretching it- but otherwise very well put review. You're right about CoT. Whatever they did on that, they need to keep at it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:32:22 PM »
I disagree with some of your points (mostly DT being out of their element on heavier material), but agree with a lot, and liked your (very similar!) summation of The Shattered Fortress for both fans, and those unfamiliar with the past songs.

What's important, and I will continue to say this, even when I disagree with you, even if I disagree with most of what you're saying you make the review very enjoyable to ready, and it helps get points across, whether I agree of disagree, very well done!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 09:43:01 PM »
I don't think ARoP and ANtR are "gargantuan misfires" or the worst songs "by a wide margin".
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:57:45 PM »
Not only is that really well written and tackled from an interesting angle, I completely agree with you on every single point. I want to give you a hug right now.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 09:59:52 PM »
I don't think ARoP and ANtR are "gargantuan misfires" or the worst songs "by a wide margin".
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:02:59 PM »
Basically, guys, do whatever you did when writing “The Count of Tuscany”.

Awesome.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 12:58:30 AM »
As everyone else has said, I don't agree with the "misfires" at all, ANTR being my favourite on the album and the first time in a long time that they've succeeded all round on a long metal song. The mix is perfect, JR is audible, and JR adds a lot of unique sounds to this song that add beautifully to the mood of the song, and I like the approach to the lyrics too. On first listen they sound like typical metal lyrics with a hint of cheese, but the reality of the situation still comes through, and the music and lyrics tie together well (aside from the MP bit at the end).
Other than that, good review. One line that stood out was "They’re still capable of crafting moving music, even if their lyrics fall short at times". An often overlooked truth.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 02:03:13 AM »
I'm going to disregard the fact that I disagree with much of your review and simply state that I found it to be pretty misleading. In the opening two paragraphs, you almost seem to be suggesting that Black Clouds is Dream Theater's greatest masterpiece and undoubtedly deserving of a 5/5, but in most of the subsequent paragraphs you focus primarily on negative criticism. The review is well written otherwise, though.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 05:14:30 AM »
I'm going to disregard the fact that I disagree with much of your review and simply state that I found it to be pretty misleading. In the opening two paragraphs, you almost seem to be suggesting that Black Clouds is Dream Theater's greatest masterpiece and undoubtedly deserving of a 5/5, but in most of the subsequent paragraphs you focus primarily on negative criticism. The review is well written otherwise, though.

There's exactly one paragraph that deals with negative criticism. :huh:

I'm quite surprised. Considering how lowly you guys know I feel about Systematic Chaos, I would've thought you'd have taken away more from the review than, "I disagree about those two songs not being good". :lol

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 09:19:44 AM »
You lost me when you said "ANTR" is the worst song (with "AROP") but said "TSF" is mandatory. Wow.

But I digged the rest.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 09:24:21 AM »
I said that knowledge of the band's discography is mandatory to enjoy the song. Not that the song itself is mandatory. :lol

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 12:02:20 PM »

There's exactly one paragraph that deals with negative criticism. :huh:

Hmm...you're right. What the hell was I reading?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 12:14:10 PM »
Very well put together review. Reminds me I should justify my text. Not sure if I agree with some parts but a lot were spot on. I've gotta say though I disagree in saying the band moved forward with this album. I feel like they stood their ground and produced a safe album.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 08:39:38 PM »
Pretty good review.  Although, I disagree with the two "misfires" you mentioned (ANTR & AROP).  They are my favorites on the album so far.  I think DT's brand of metal is quite good even though it's a little unorthodox, drawn out at times and somewhat over the top.  I think they still pull it off quite nicely.  Otherwise, a well written review.

NOTE: After another listen to the album, I decided to tone down some of the negativity in regards to the first two songs. :)

:tup

P.S.  I'd also like to take this opportunity to officially bury the hatchet between us.  I let our differences of opinion get the best of me and I have been overly critical of your view points.  I'll try to tone down some of the negativity in that regard.  Peace!   :biggrin:

Sincerely,

CC
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »
Yea. I saw that you dug those two tracks in your album rankings.

I don't know. They just sound bland to me. Certainly not a defensible point; just my natural reaction to them! :coolio

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 12:26:12 AM »
I can understand calling AROP bland, as it's a fairly straightforward metal song for DT, but ANTR has a lot of interesting stuff going on imo. It has a lot of contrast, with the creepy piano beginning, the heavy riff, and the soft peaceful middle section. And I really think JR plays a huge part in making it stand out from other heavy songs they've done. I really think it's JR's best example of adding a lot musically to a metal song. (While I think he adds a lot to TDEN, it's all in the instrumental section, and not the verse and riffing sections).
But it is a very metal song, and I know many people don't appreciate them as much as I do, so understandable either way :)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 06:38:34 AM »
The heavy stuff in that song doesn't stand out to me like the heavy stuff from, say, Six Degrees. And overall, I think it's way too long.

The soft middle bit is spectacular though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 06:45:29 AM »
I think the heavy stuff stands out, largely thanks to JR. I don't think JR has ever sounded so good in such a heavy song. Even in what I would consider their best heavy song, TGP, JR doesn't contribute as much as he does here. Going by guitar riffs alone, I still think ANTR is great, but throw on top of that JR adding the choirs and theramin and organ, and it really stands out from anything else they've ever done.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 07:11:27 AM »
Worst fan review I've read in a very, very long time.  Seriously.  It would be one thing if you said you personally didn't like some of their past albums and that you personally don't care for the first two tracks on the album.  It is quite another to come across as saying the band objectively has been struggling and unable to write a good album since Six Degrees, aren't even relevant anymore, and made objectively bad songs as tracks one and two on this album because they simply could not do any better.  Honestly, this review is nothing short of garbage in the form of a few wasted megabytes in cyberspace.  I'm glad it makes you feel important to have a free place where you can type a few words for the entire world to see that make you look like some sort of credible music critic.  But, ultimately, I hope you someday realize that you're just some kid wasting his life, hiding behind a computer screen.  This is exactly the sort of thing that makes me seriously question whether to just delete the review section altogether and has made me question on more than one occasion whether to delete the board in its entirety. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 07:36:13 AM »
Tell me how you really feel! :)

But just so you know, outside of these forums I'm a respectable college student doing a summer internship right now with a job prepared in college and who's spending his holiday going on vacation to Canada and playing in state-wide tennis tournaments.

I probably don't need to defend myself against that, and I know I've given my share of low blows, but man... You just came off as the lord of the assholes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 07:47:53 AM »
Oh, please.  I think you already took that title just after you hit the 'post' button on your "review" after undoubtedly patting yourself on the back for how cool you are that you can insult a band on the Internet. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 08:29:57 AM »
I think TOX came down too hard and rather unfair on BC&SL and bosk1 came down double as hard on TOX.
It's a matter of opinions and TOX I think you need to write your reviews in a sense that really stresses on the fact that it's just your opinion, you state things as givens and that annoys and provokes people to move from disagreeing with you to being mad at you, imo.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 10:04:41 AM »
To be honest, I never thought that by wording things the way I do, I was coming off as stating them as a fact. I always thought that because I was writing them, they were automatically assumed to just be my opinions.

Since I appear to be mistaken, I'll gladly take that to heart and try to word things in a way that doesn't make people angry next time.

Bosk, if you would've just said what metty said in the first place, I would've understood that I'm wording things in absolutes, even though I don't mean to, and made sure to change things up in the future.

But how does insulting me like that help? Couldn't you just have sent me a warning and said, "Yo TOX, you're insulting the band when you say things like... You're borderline breaking the forum rules."

Plus, my intentions when I wrote the review were to praise BC&SL. I said some bad things about its lyrics and two of its songs, but otherwise, I meant to be very positive towards it. Those are just honest criticisms I have. I just read it again and I think that I accomplished that.

And finally, I do like writing reviews. I know I'm not Roger Ebert, but I feel I've been getting better at them over the years and have had people compliment me on them via PMs before. Maybe I'm not great at them as you say, but I'm always open to being critiqued. Clearly, what I need to work on is wording things better and making sure I don't speak so surely of all my opinions, so I'll try and work on that whenever I write again.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 10:24:33 AM »
Understood.  But typically when things like that are brought to people's attention, the response is usually (and I'm exaggerating):  "Hey, I'm a fan, I can say what I want, how I want.  Free speech, yo!"

The first paragraph just comes across as condescending to me, and reads as if you are saying the band has just been lost and utterly incapable of finding themselves and writing good, coherent music, and should be ever so grateful the fans stuck around and kept listening and patiently waiting all these years for BC&SL to descend form the heavens.  And then it goes on to essentially say that, even though thankfully, the band has finally started to get over what ails them, they still utterly failed on the first 1/3 of the album, but thankfully sort of pulled it together after that.  That's how it comes across to me.

I know this latter part isn't your fault, but timing-wise, your review also comes at a time when the band has not only released a new album, but has again gone the extra mile for the fans by including different packages that include some awesome extras, and has gone the extra mile yet again by working with me to allow users here to post their fan mixes, and yet all of the positive vibes that should surround all that have a dark cloud cast over them (pun somewhat intended) by the fact that I had to ban two people yesterday for, effectively giving the band and me the middle finger by stealing illegal copies of the stem tracks (and other stuff) and trading them on my forum.  So, again, while that's not your problem, I am a little testy at the moment.  And reading such undeserved criticism on something the band is so proud of, and that comes across as so condescending, doesn't make me very happy.  So sorry if I came across overly harsh.  But that's why.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 10:30:25 AM »
But why did you have to take shots at me, personally? That's what I don't understand. Even if my intention was to blast the band, which it wasn't, why would that warrant you calling me, to paraphrase, "A kid who likes wasting his life by writing reviews to make himself seem important"?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 10:34:05 AM »
That's honestly the first thing that comes to mind when I read a lot of criticism from people who don't know what it's like to be on the other side.  But you know what?  You're absolutely right that I made it personal.  I shouldn't have, and I apologize. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 10:39:38 AM »
And you're right that I have no idea what it's like to be on the other side. Honestly I commend the band for how good BC&SL is, it's just that in my opinion, there were a couple of tracks on it that I didn't particularly care for. Just how I felt, to be honest. :sadpanda:

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 10:47:48 AM »
Bosk I know this is your forum and all but, what the fuck?

Unless you and Outlaw just pulled a huge dupe.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 10:51:06 AM »
Nope. No dupe.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 10:55:54 AM »
Disappointing. I figured that even on a board this strict the one place a person could be allowed to express dismay of a band would be in a the reviews section. I didn't really see much wrong in the way you worded things I mean it's not like the review was simply "Fuck Dream Theater, they're utter shit" or anything.

Offline j

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 10:59:10 AM »
 :|

Good review.  Well thought-out and well-written.  Nothing wrong with criticism in a review, and I didn't think you even came close to going overboard at all, TOX.  I agree with your qualms with the lyrics, but I do not share your dislike for the ANTR and AROP, however; I think AROP is their strongest single in a long while, and ANTR has a few flaws but is a very good song overall.

I guess you guys have already reconciled this, but I don't understand the complaints about people "stating their opinions as fact" on the internet.  When you read someone's review of an album, or even just a post from them on a message board, do you not *know* that you'll be reading that person's opinions?  And if they state them as if they are absolute truth, who cares?  Millions of people write/say things on the internet that are stupid, false, offensive, etc. every day, but that's the inevitable result of the internet's role as a pedestal from which any idiot can make himself heard.  By the way, none of this applies to you, TOX, from what I can tell; just trying to make a point.   :lol

I don't think TOX's review was unreasonable in the least, but I see people get upset over others giving their opinions in a way that comes across as a statement of fact all the time.  They think their opinions are true, or they wouldn't have them.  Don't you?

-J

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 11:02:35 AM »
Well, I just feel weird because on one hand, I've had people tell me:

"The review is your opinion. Don't dawdle around with 'I thinks' and 'In my opinions' because it's inferred"

And now I'm seeing that some people are getting mad when I don't say 'I think' or 'in my opinion' because it makes it seem like I'm speaking in absolutes.

Such a dilemma! :justjen

NOTE: What do you know? As I was writing this, j made one of the types of comments I'm talking about! :lol

Thanks for the kind words BTW.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 11:07:50 AM »
You don't have to say thank you to the waiter in the resturant since it's a given that his job is to bring your food and you'll tip him anyway.. it's a polite gesture that is acknowleging him is all.
I think it's just a polite gesture to say "I think" or "in my opinion" when stating a contraversial opinion, especially when you know that someone will disagree with you.
Don't get me wrong I think TOX is a really gifted critic and a natural, it's just a small advice that he took lightly.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »
That actually makes a lot of sense.

Presume that people already know everything you're saying is just your opinion, but whenever you're about to say something controversial, make sure you stress the point its only what you think.