Author Topic: Proud parent  (Read 17068 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Proud parent
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2017, 08:21:54 PM »
Me to my 9 year old son:  do you want me to roast that marshmallow for you, the stick is pretty short and the fire is really hot

Him: Dad, I can do it myself....I'm not a pussy

I tried to be mad and correct/discipline him but it basically ended with me just telling him not to use that word in front of his mother.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2017, 10:31:33 PM »
That works, too.  Part of father/son bonding is male bonding, and this kinda serves both purposes.  There are things you can say when it's just the guys, and things that you don't in mixed company.  Mom is mixed company, a female, an "other".

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2017, 07:31:36 AM »
Jingle.son got his license this morning. Hopefully another post coming this afternoon after jingle.daughter's road test. :crossesfingers:

Edit:  2 for 2... both kids are now licensed.  Which means I now have to insure them.   :-[
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:29:32 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2017, 04:19:23 PM »
Lol you're so screwed.

jk good for them, enjoy the freedom of not having to chaffuer them around anymore.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2017, 04:22:32 PM »
That works, too.  Part of father/son bonding is male bonding, and this kinda serves both purposes.  There are things you can say when it's just the guys, and things that you don't in mixed company.  Mom is mixed company, a female, an "other".

Grabby?  Joking aside, I agree.

Jingle.son got his license this morning. Hopefully another post coming this afternoon after jingle.daughter's road test. :crossesfingers:

Edit:  2 for 2... both kids are now licensed.  Which means I now have to insure them.   :-[

Nice.  I can't imagine how that must feel once your children have gotten their own "wings" to fly in a sense.  I know my parents were extremely worrisome at that time for our safety, but also just the fact they are growing up and can do things out of your control (well moreso than without a license).

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2017, 04:31:45 AM »
Lol you're so screwed.

jk good for them, enjoy the freedom of not having to chaffuer them around anymore.

It's still gonna be some time before they get their total 'freedom'.  The city I live in is (no word of a lie) the highest insurance in the province - and I suspect in the country.  It's going to cost more for jingle.son to be insured as a secondary driver than it costs me AND mrs.jingle as primary drivers COMBINED!!!  There's just a lot of shitty drivers in this city - on a variety of different fronts and reasons.  It's completely For a couple of kids that have only really been driving for 3 months (they got their 'learners' license back in October, but didn't do much practice driving over the winter), they are very good drivers.  But, as we all know, it's the other idiots on the road that we all have to be concerned with.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »
Grats to both the little jingles.

And RIP your wallet.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2017, 08:07:22 AM »
The first rule of raising boys:

I tried to be mad and correct/discipline him but it basically ended with me just telling him not to use that word in front of his mother.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2017, 01:15:17 PM »
The first rule of raising boys:

Yeah....I find myself using some variation of 'not in front of your mother' more and more as they get older. There are things that women just don't understand

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2017, 07:36:33 AM »
What the fuck...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2017, 07:50:48 AM »
Twice recently I have encountered someone who was apparently confused by something, so I explained it to them.  I thought it was the right thing to do.  I was accused both times of "mansplaining" as the apparently confused person was female.  It seems that this is a bad thing.  I have no idea what the fuck "mansplaining" is, but if the new rule is that if females don't understand, and a guy explains it to them, and both the males and females involved get pissed at him, then the best response is none at all.  Which is the complete opposite of this response.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »
What the fuck...

To be fair.... you are cooler than the average bear.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »
What the fuck...

To be fair.... you are cooler than the average bear.

To even fairer I wasn't saying that women are idiots. Not even close. My point was that there are aspects of a father/son relationship that a woman/mother are not going to be able to understand. Especially if that woman never had a brother...and even then if she did it still isn't the same paradigm as boys/brothers.

I'm the father of (3) boys and the oldest brother of three boys. I am going to have a different insight into my sons relationships with one another and my sons relationships with me than what my wife has. And some of those insights are going to be things that she simply can't understand for the simple fact that she's not a male and she's not a 'brother' of all males.

Just as I wouldn't have the same insight pertaining to daughters/females being that my only close female relationships have been my mother and now wife. Had we three daughters the shoe would be on the other foot but it's not.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »
This was 17 years ago:

This was yesterday

Every year in between is on FB for my FB peeps.

One more year, and they'll be adults.   :omg:  Hell, I'm barely an adult sometimes!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2017, 12:26:41 PM »
Just so crazy man. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
That's so cool Chad. They're good looking 'kiddos' 

I always thought the people who told me to "enjoy it, it goes by fast" after our first son was born we're just saying it to say it. Well, I totally get it now. Our oldest is 11 and I'm just here like "WTF" "Where did that time go?"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2017, 02:48:41 PM »
I always thought the people who told me to "enjoy it, it goes by fast" after our first son was born we're just saying it to say it. Well, I totally get it now. Our oldest is 11 and I'm just here like "WTF" "Where did that time go?"

Yup... 13 more months, and both of ours will be off to post-secondary, and most likely living away from home.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2017, 04:10:39 PM »
This was 17 years ago:

This was yesterday

Every year in between is on FB for my FB peeps.

One more year, and they'll be adults.   :omg:  Hell, I'm barely an adult sometimes!

Wow, the bear hasn't aged a bit.  :D

Awesome pics!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2017, 09:01:19 PM »
Not sure where to put this but it had to do with my youngest son so

We were sitting on the front porch tonight talking and i happened to look down at his leg and spotted a small tick. He and his buddy had just spent a bit up in the woods so no big deal.

Until I notice another small one, and another. I said " hey bud, stand up" then lifted his shorts a bit and BOOM there they are. I mean literally hundreds upon hundreds of seed ticks

It sure if anyone has ever had to deal with them but basically they are ticks that are as small or smaller than the head of a needle. Very tiny. Typically they'll hang out on a branch in droves and whatever brushes against them gets coated in them.

I got him up to the tub and was able to wash 80% of them off but I'm not exaggerating when I say a good two hundred or so were dug in. I spent from 7:30 to 9:30 with tweezers and a flashlight just picking tiny ticks off him. Felt so bad for him as there were a few occasions of me grabbing a bit too much skin....these things are SO small. And, he had a dozen or so on his privates....everywhere on them! Poor fella.

Anyway.....not exactly a 'proud parent' moment but didn't know where to throw that story.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2017, 09:09:04 PM »
Yikes!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2017, 10:30:16 PM »
Damn!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2017, 10:40:30 PM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2017, 03:41:11 AM »
This was 17 years ago:

*picture*

This was yesterday

*picture*
[/quote]

Nice, you got a new couch! :neverusethis:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2017, 05:44:45 AM »
This was 17 years ago:

*picture*

This was yesterday

*picture*

Nice, you got a new couch! :neverusethis:

New house too!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2017, 05:47:44 AM »
The bear looks better than ever.  :tup

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2018, 05:33:30 AM »
Both jingle.kids received post-secondary acceptances recently.  jingle.son got two out of his three programs - both were his 'safety net' choices, so it wasn't all that surprising.  The third - and his #1 goal for the last 5+ years - is a Bachelor of Animation program, which requires an extensive portfolio submission (due next week).  He's been busting his ass on it since December 1st.  The acceptance rate for this program is only about 10% of applications, so SUPER competitive.  Fingers crossed for him there.

jingle.daughter just got her acceptance offer for her #1 choice (with a small scholarship) yesterday - Child and Youth Studies... she wants to be a primary school teacher.  It was a pretty competitive program as well, only about 1/3 of applicants are accepted.

So awesome... but an empty house come September since both will be living away from home.   :-\ :'(

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2018, 06:03:56 AM »
Proud and also an anxious moment for parents.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2018, 06:28:53 AM »
That’s exciting news Chad! Having seen some of the work that jingle.son is capable of I would think that he has a good shot at getting in. And, being a husband of a school teacher (special school teacher grades K-2) I can tell you from seeing/hearing about the job the past 15 years the reward isn’t as much in the salary but the difference jingle.daughter could make in a kids life. Good luck to them both

Last week we took our oldest up to the middle school to register. He will be in 6th grade  :omg:  Just doesn’t seem real. It really does go by quick

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2018, 07:04:28 AM »
So, we just got these in the mail over the past couple of weeks.  Godddamn.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:49:12 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2018, 07:29:24 AM »
Can't see the image, Chad. What is it?
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2018, 07:42:57 AM »
Both jingle.kids received post-secondary acceptances recently.  jingle.son got two out of his three programs - both were his 'safety net' choices, so it wasn't all that surprising.  The third - and his #1 goal for the last 5+ years - is a Bachelor of Animation program, which requires an extensive portfolio submission (due next week).  He's been busting his ass on it since December 1st.  The acceptance rate for this program is only about 10% of applications, so SUPER competitive.  Fingers crossed for him there.

jingle.daughter just got her acceptance offer for her #1 choice (with a small scholarship) yesterday - Child and Youth Studies... she wants to be a primary school teacher.  It was a pretty competitive program as well, only about 1/3 of applicants are accepted.

So awesome... but an empty house come September since both will be living away from home.   :-\ :'(

That's awesome, jingle. I pretty much lost control of my life after I realized there was no way to pay for school after getting accepted, so I'm happy to hear of anyone who gets accepted and actually gets to go. Especially when the acceptance rate is that low. You have smart kids. Congratulations. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2018, 07:44:30 AM »
Can't see the image, Chad. What is it?

I was worried about that.  I tried to link from my google drive, but feared it wouldn't work.  I'll re-upload to a proper photo-sharing site. 

Stand by.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »
Better?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2018, 07:50:15 AM »
Man, they're all grown up.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2018, 07:56:03 AM »
:clap:     Nice Chad   :tup     

Man, they're all grown up.

No kidding! Wasn't it like yesterday Chad shared some pics of a jingle vacation where the jingle.kids were all little?