Author Topic: Community Supported Agriculture  (Read 838 times)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Community Supported Agriculture
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:33:38 AM »
Anyone else a member of a CSA? For those who don't know what it is, you basically buy a share of a local farms crops for the season and you get a percentage of their produce every week.

We joined one this year for the first time. We've talked about it for a few years, but it always seemed a little daunting. I'm not actually a huge fan of vegetables, so we joined really to force us to eat more veggies. So far it's been working great. Ours basically costs us $20 a week (though paid all upfront) and we've so far gotten 2-3 grocery bags full of produce a week and it will only increase as the summer goes on. Plus on top of that we get the entertainment of going to the farm, picking out our veggies, going into the "pick-your-own" garden and picking strawberries, herbs, peas, etc, and looking the the pigs and chickens. My son (who's 2) gets a huge kick out of it and comes away sweaty and covered in dirt (yes, this is a good thing).

So far we've gotten lots of lettuces and salad greens since it's early in the season and I've discovered that bok choy and arugala are fantastic. We've gotten about 6 quarts of strawberries over the last two weeks which are some of the best I've ever eaten. Best of all I've probably been eating 10x the vegetables that I normally do.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: Community Supported Agriculture
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 01:07:09 PM »
I've heard of these! Definitely going to investigate in my area.