Author Topic: The Gratitude Project  (Read 701 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
The Gratitude Project
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:50:19 PM »
I get a lot of free time to think and contemplate, and one of the things that has been on my mind lately is the number of people who have had a profound influence on me who are completely oblivious to the fact that they helped make me the person I am (for the better).  I feel like I should reach out to them and thank them, to let them know that their influence and presence reaches a far wider audience than they realize.

I don't know why I feel compelled to do this.  Maybe I'm trying to starting to realize my mortality, maybe I'm trying to stave off depression, maybe generate good karma, maybe I'm trying to break down the increasing isolation I feel everyday; but for some reason this just feels like the right thing to do.

What is the Gratitude Project?

It's reaching out to someone who influenced you in an important way, and in retrospect you just want to say thank you.  The first group of people I'm going to contact include the first gay man I met who in the course of getting to know him made me realize that the GLBT community are people just like me; the guy who introduced me to Dream Theater and invariably changed my opinions on music - which led me to want to study it and learn to play instruments; an elementary school teacher who made science fun; a high school teacher who challenged me and made me realize that I could be simply more than king of the mountain - that I could help raise those around me; and finally a college classmate who showed me what true compassion is.

What do all of these people have in common?  I lost touch with them, and none of them realize how dear to my heart I hold the time, however brief, I spent with them.  None of them I could every really consider my friend.  I have no idea how they'll react, but my hope is that it gives them happiness that they're not forgotten and make them realize that they make the world a better place even without trying or realizing it.

Like I said, it's a wild hare of an idea.  Maybe people don't think about things like this like I do, or simply don't remember their lives with the level of detail I do and I'll come off as creepy.  I'm not looking to reconnect with any of them, just show my gratitude that at some point we crossed paths and let them know I think I'm a better person for it.

I challenge you all to take part in my "Gratitude Project".  This isn't about saying thank you to your friends and family, this is about people who have not been directly involved in your life for a while. Think about the people who have had a profound affect on your life and are no longer a part of it, and share your experience of reaching out to them, as I will do the same.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Re: The Gratitude Project
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:16:02 AM »
You know, there are a handful of people on this website alone that I owe so much thanks to for the support 'n shit over the years. But then there are people like my sophomore year social studies teacher who opened me up to thinking more critically and questioning everything.

I had a kind of similar idea for a project, actually. But it wasn't related to people I have ever met. It was simply a project of spreading positivity to the community (tested the concept on my college campus) through whatever means one finds useful. It kind of fell through though. Could always pick it back up sometime.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 08:00:55 AM »
You're both very welcome.
Glad I could steer you both in the right direction in life.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:08:07 PM »
I thanked my mother (and dad) in an e-mail to her recently.  Took her by surprise, so was stoic about it, but I'm sure it warmed the cockles of her heart.  Sounds like a good idea, I'd keep the list of people short and sweet, but that's just my opinion.