Author Topic: Physical Attractiveness  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Ħ

Physical Attractiveness
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:03:02 PM »
One of the most beautiful things I can think of in this universe is an attractive female of the human species.  There is this certain magic they have about them that sends me into a state of blissful wonder when I see them.  It's biological and ultimately sexually-driven, I know, but I wouldn't describe myself as being in a primarily lustful mindset (e.g. DAT ASS)...I'm more of a state of awe, like I'm looking at a beautiful painting, or a beautiful waterfall. 

So, it got me to thinking about physical attractiveness, if it has any real significance, and if so, what is its degree of importance?  I assume I'm not the only one with an affinity toward things that visually please my mind, and I considered posting in the LH thread, but I'd rather not hear from a bunch of desperate bums anyway confine the discussion to a single group when I could just make the topic open for everybody.

Three other questions for discussion:

1) Is physical attractiveness subjective or objective?
2) Is physical attractiveness obtainable for most people?
3) Is physical attractiveness a justifiable basis in choosing a partner?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Physical Attractiveness
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:08:10 PM »

Both.

Probably.

Yes.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:10:38 PM »
It's objective in the fact that there are certain vague things most of us tend to like. It's subjective in the fact that most people don't agree on the details, even if a good amount do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:11:42 PM »
1- Two answers.  There is a level of physical attractiveness that pop culture and media impose upon us, and if you buy into said standards, you're fucked, give up.  Second answer- Every individual has there own standards for attractiveness, and there is no rhyme or reason as to what a said individual finds appealing.

2- The obtaining of attractiveness lies within the individual.  So much of how we view ourselves is projected into our outward physical appearance.  If we see beauty, even a touch, within ourselves, someone else will too.

3-No.  It plays a role in the initial encounters, but the inner beauty stated above is the one that is enduring, and should be the basis for long term relationships.

Offline RG93

• DTF Lurker
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 11:13:29 PM »
1) Both, as Kev said. Certain people might be attractive to all, it only depends on which aspect.

2) As physical attractiveness is subjective, I'm not sure on whether to say yes or no.

3)Of course, just the degree of extent varies. Some people favour personality, but looks still matter.
I forgot I even had this account, so what the heck

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:15:48 PM »
I think it's a mix of both, but mostly objective.  Most people agree on who is attractive or not, and what makes a person attractive or not.  Models are models for a reason.  But I do think that different people develop appreciations for different niches in how a person looks.

I actually think it is possible for anyone to look beautiful, and to be regarded as attractive by a large number of people.  My reason for thinking this is just an observation of wild animals.  Think of squirrels for instance.  They spend all day moving their bodies and scrounging for food.  Yet most squirrels are very fit, healthy, adorable creatures.  The only time you see fat, ugly, out-of-shape squirrels is in places like Yosemite, where humans are constantly feeding them.  So, biologically, I think it's possible for most people to look pretty great.

This I'm not sure of.  On one hand, if what I believe about my response to 2 is true, then yes, physical attractiveness is a result of good health habits, which is an indication of personal responsibility, admirable life priorities, etc.  On the other hand, a real relationship is built upon something deeper.  I would use the word "spiritual" but it might not apply in this discussion.  But, there's definitely a time when looks do fade and you'd better have something to talk about when you look over a wrinkly, hunch-backed, gray-haired old woman.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Adami

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:17:30 PM »

I actually think it is possible for anyone to look beautiful, and to be regarded as attractive by a large number of people.  

Joseph Merick might not agree. But you have a point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 11:20:25 PM »
I'll only come in on #3 and I think the answer is an absolute yes. While other facts may make some shortcomings in that area seem unimportant, you're not going to be happy in the long term with someone you are completely unattracted to.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 11:23:59 PM »

Sorta both. There are things we, as humans, are wired to find attractive, but little nuances are where we all differ from one person to another. If you were to ask 10 different men what their "dream girl" would look like, most of them would have similar features, but they would look like different people...obviously. So, it is broadly objective, but objective once you get down to the nitty gritty details.

Tough question. As someone who wants to say, "everyone is beautiful in their own way," something is stopping me. I've seen some ladies who I could never imagine anyone being attracted to, but many find significant others who love them. So, I guess my answer would once again be yes and no. Objectively, no. Not everyone can find a way to be attractive to the masses the way many of today's sex symbols are, but subjectively, yes, seeing as how someone random dude out there may find some chick hot when 99.99% of other dudes would turn away and run, based on looks or her personality.

Yes, but it should not be the only or most important one. It would be unfair to say that you should not take physical attractiveness into consideration, as one, after being in a relationship is expected to participate in sexual activity, which I can imagine to be a pretty gruesome process if you are not attracted to your partner. However, personality should be the most important thing in finding a significant other. Also, if you tend to dig a person's personality, usually, they will start looking more attractive, and vice versa.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 11:25:40 PM »
I actually think it is possible for anyone to look beautiful, and to be regarded as attractive by a large number of people.  

Joseph Merick might not agree. But you have a point.
Part of my saying that is that based on optimism.  I'd rather say it's possible, and go for it, then say it's not obtainable at all and never even try.  But all I can say with confidence is that most people can increase their physical attractiveness, even if they might not ever reach society's standards.

By the way, a friend was telling me about a study where they tested babies to determine if they were attracted to one look or another, and there was a correlation between how much a baby would look at an person and that person's attractiveness.  I can't cite the study, but doesn't that undermine the idea that we are taught what to view as attractive by culture and the media?

Offline Adami

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 11:27:30 PM »
Yes, but isn't that based on visual symmetry?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 11:28:49 PM »
I think so.  But isn't symmetry a major player in physical attractiveness for grown-ups?

Offline Adami

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 11:30:31 PM »
I think so.  But isn't symmetry a major player in physical attractiveness for grown-ups?

Indeed it is. But at least we know what we're being attracted by in that case.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 11:39:17 PM »
I agree with #3. It is justifiable but not always the key factor.

This year, I met one of the most beautiful girls I have ever met. She is a great soccer player and in top shape physically and has a great body. It's creepy to say, coming from a 17 year old I know. Anyways, to put it concisley, I got a double chin and a little Kim Kardashian in my gut.

One of my biggest concerns before asking her out was how I looked compared to her. Fat vs thin and in shape. When she said no, it wasn't because of the way I looked (her friends confirmed that), but rather she doesn't want to commit to a relationship. I later found out that it was because she was hurt last time in a relationship and doesn't want that again.

So I do think that physical attractiveness is a justifiable basis for choosing someone, but it isn't always the top factor and it isn't always necessarily true. I think I may be way off base with the topic though...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:48:34 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline j

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 02:38:01 AM »
doesn't that undermine the idea that we are taught what to view as attractive by culture and the media?

If there is a "learned" aspect of physical attraction, which there very well may be, I think it is far less significant than the tendencies we come by biologically.

-J

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 05:37:39 AM »
I think so.  But isn't symmetry a major player in physical attractiveness for grown-ups?

A lot of what's considered "attractive" is driven by natural selection.  Symmetry is one aspect; having limbs being the same length is a great boon for survivability.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 05:51:07 AM »
1.618 is hot.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 05:53:08 AM »
subjective, yes, and obsolutely.

respectively.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »
I'm going with totally subjective.  The thing is, there was a study a while back that determined the perfect ratio for bust/hips which seemed to correlate to the perfect female body.  Yet, Cameron Mannheim still gets laid.  There are certain characteristics that appeal to the average person, but there are tons of people who're attracted to something completely different. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 08:22:32 AM »
My contribution to the discussion:  Chicks definitely flock to me because I'm hawt.  So there you have it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 08:25:40 AM »
My contribution to the discussion:  Chicks definitely flock to me because I'm hawt.  So there you have it.

Your helmet, its so.. big!
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »
I think physical attractiveness is important, but only to a certain degree.

It is what pulls us in initially but it is the personality that truly keeps us interested.

All of this is of course, subjective.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 02:38:15 PM »
I dig chicks...chicks dig me.. life has been good..Im married.. wife is hawt and cool..I can still look without reprecussions..LOL..

Yes...chicks are the magic.. I have no "type" some just have that beauty.. but nobody can be beautiful without an inner beauty that shines through..
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:44:22 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
I can usually evaluate a girl's worth with just a cursory glance. If there's nothing going on in the face, butt, or boob regions then we are not a match. In fact usually if I see a girl who does not please me visually I will lock eyes with her and shake my head and mouth the words, "you've got your sexy wrong". Most of the time they are profoundly affected by this and will either cry immediately or at the very least stop believing in magic.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 03:00:37 PM »
I can usually evaluate a girl's worth with just a cursory glance. If there's nothing going on in the face, butt, or boob regions then we are not a match. In fact usually if I see a girl who does not please me visually I will lock eyes with her and shake my head and mouth the words, "you've got your sexy wrong". Most of the time they are profoundly affected by this and will either cry immediately or at the very least stop believing in magic.

what if she has a pretty bow in her hair? or a cool color of nail polish?
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 03:04:31 PM »

what if she has a pretty bow in her hair? or a cool color of nail polish?

bows in hair are always +5 points, but almost every girl I see is a -5 anyway so

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »
1) Both.
2) Most?  Yes.  All?  Probably not.
3) Not as the sole reason, but as a factor, yes.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »
Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo,
flying across in front of a beautiful sunset?  And he's carrying a
beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful
painting with his feet.  And also, you're drunk.