Author Topic: Do actors have to sign a "stay in shape" clause?  (Read 1638 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Do actors have to sign a "stay in shape" clause?
« on: June 21, 2011, 08:18:56 PM »
I'm watching a Star Trek TNG episode right now, and one thing that struck me is that in all those years of the show, none of the actors increased significantly in weight (except Wesley who got a bit more robust at the end).
Now, in TNG I could even see this as a requirement on the actors, since weight management is supposed to be solved in the future!
Has anybody ever heard of this?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Do actors have to sign a "stay in shape" clause?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:25:37 PM »
I'm watching a Star Trek TNG episode right now, and one thing that struck me is that in all those years of the show, none of the actors increased significantly in weight (except Wesley who got a bit more robust at the end).
Now, in TNG I could even see this as a requirement on the actors, since weight management is supposed to be solved in the future!

rumborak

I'd bet the main cast did but they brought other actors in that were plump like David Ogden Stiers as guest actors.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:28:07 PM »
I don't think so. Take a look at Joey Tribianni (Matt Le Blanc). In the last seasons of Friends he was a freaking whale!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 08:32:56 PM »
I guess it depends on the show. I just read that Broadway shows have a "general appearance" clause that says if an actor changes in weight so much that it would require alteration of the costume, it can be grounds for termination. Same with a visible tattoo.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 08:35:32 PM »
I've heard that there is definitely such a thing.  But I don't know how standard it is across the industry.  Probably just a case-by-case thing I would think.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:40:55 PM »
I've heard that there is definitely such a thing.  But I don't know how standard it is across the industry.  Probably just a case-by-case thing I would think.

That would be my guess.  There are some roles where actors might have to change their appearance subtly for the part, whether it be by growing a beard or gaining 20 pounds.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:43:37 PM »
James Gandolfini had to stay fat for his role of Tony Soprano.  In fact, I remember reading how he lost a bunch of weight to do a movie in between seasons once and then had to put the weight all back on for the next Sopranos season.  David Chase always said that a fat Tony looked more physically intimidating than a skinny Tony.  And if you watch the series, Tony got fatter and more slovenly looking as the series went on.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 12:47:38 AM »

rumborak
I don't know, I think Jonathan Frakes definitely put some weight on as the show progressed. :lol

Or maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 02:10:08 AM »
There was a recent interview with Emma Watson where she said she wasn't even allowed to get a tan. If she was on holiday with her family she had to stay in the shade. Won't be the same in all circumstances, but studios can and do stipulate that their actors keep their appearance pretty damned consistent.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 02:50:02 AM »
There was a recent interview with Emma Watson where she said she wasn't even allowed to get a tan. If she was on holiday with her family she had to stay in the shade. Won't be the same in all circumstances, but studios can and do stipulate that their actors keep their appearance pretty damned consistent.
Pfft, because Hermione would never get a tan between the school years?

Though it might be hard to watch Deathly Hallows with a two-hour erection.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 03:27:19 AM »
Pfft, because Hermione would never get a tan between the school years?

Though it might be hard to watch Deathly Hallows with a two-hour erection.

Can you even get a tan in England?

:neverusethis:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 04:14:01 AM »
Can you even get a tan in England?

:neverusethis:

Unfortunately yes v.v

On topic: I think it depends on the role you're in, but if there is then I'm pretty screwed because I'm not in shape, never mind staying in shape.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 05:14:39 AM »
I know a guy who smokes but sings on stage, and he's not allowed to quit because his throat is used to the smoke and if you stop it produces mucus which stops you singing.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 11:41:15 AM »
I know a guy who smokes but sings on stage, and he's not allowed to quit because his throat is used to the smoke and if you stop it produces mucus which stops you singing.

That's retarded. If you stop smoking, your voice will sound better not worse. He would just have to drink plenty of water and watch what he eats. Which is what he should be doing as a singer any way.