Author Topic: My problem with Christianity  (Read 23144 times)

Offline William Wallace

Re: My problem with Christianity
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2011, 09:35:17 PM »
Welcome, WildeSilas. It's always nice to see new faces, and since you know some history as well as Greek and Hebrew, that means you can add depth to our conversations.

And since you brought it up, what convinced you that you we're "just making this all up in my mind?"

It was many things, too many to detail here. Some specific examples would be:

What I did find however, was that when I made pragmatic decisions based on logic and evidence, it was usually a right or "good" decision in the end. When I did not consider logic and evidence, but rather acted "in faith" for what I thought was the will of God (or should be, according to the biblical principles applied in the situation), the decision typically led to disaster, heartache, and confusion.
I've never understood the two to be mutually exclusive. Why did you? And can provide an example of what you mean?

as a result of 25 years of doing this, I ended up bankrupt, despised by the people I was ministering to, on the brink of divorce, physically ill, and fearful for my own physical safety (this all has to do with the fact that I pastored an extremely poor church in the middle of gang-land Little Rock, Arkansas, and physical threats were not uncommon, nor was hunger, poverty, dysfunction, etc.).
This I can appreciate. Growing up as a pastor's son, I've seen and experienced much mistreatment meted out by supposedly faithful Christians. Still, I don't understand why this is a condition sufficient to abandon faith; those unfortunate circumstances say nothing about the Bible as a reliable source, the teachings of Jesus and so forth.

2) Spiritual Growth - despite being a very intense student of the bible, pursuit of mission work, constant prayer, service, and even willingness to sacrifice my life in the work of ministry, I found that after 25 years, I was still pretty much exactly the same person with exactly the same quirks, sins, and struggles that I had been at age 15. I gained a lot of experience and knowledge for sure, but no increase in what Paul refers to as the Fruits of the Spirit. I witnessed this same lack of change in the people around me. If the Holy Spirit makes us "new creatures" and abiding in Christ makes us more like him, why was I simply becoming more like myself, and more like my parents, from whom I've inherited much of my nature? I honestly couldn't point to a single thing in my personality, character, or "spirit" (if you will) that was different as a result of following Jesus all those years. Either something is wrong with the promises of scripture (i.e. there IS no Holy Spirit), or something is wrong with me. Well, of course there's something wrong with me, I'm a sinner, right? I can't achieve Christ-likeness through works. I hope it doesn't sound like that's what I was trying to do. I list these "works" as evidence that my faith had muscle to it - these things were (I felt) a natural response to salvation and being a "new creature" - not the means to it. That said, I was earnestly seeking to be changed, to commune with God, to have a close relationship and communion with him. But in the end, I have no sense that anything supernatural ever happened to me. Any "experience" I had can be easily duplicated by listening to a stirring speech, seeing a movie that moves me, or listening to Octavarium.
I can't speak to your feelings in this case, since they're not mine. But a healthy faith takes work, and I don't mean to say that we somehow have to earn our salvation - we can't. But as a lifelong Christian (so far), I too regularly struggle with "the same quirks, sins, and struggles" I always have. We have to do our best to live like Christ and overcome the things that hinder us. I think it's worth nothing, however, that a life free of struggle isn't promised anywhere in the Bible as far as I know. Knowing the truth doesn't somehow protect us from pain. 

Again, and I don't mean to sound harsh, our feelings don't speak to the truth of Christianity. Furthermore, human emotions are often terrible guides and usually aren't reliable enough to adjudicate the reality of a given situation.

constantly having to play theological whack-a-mole with contradictions and competing doctrines made me face the fact that while the whole thing would be awesome if it really were true, and if it really worked, it simply wasn't and didn't.
Like what? Which competing doctrines and contradictions were insurmountable? I'd like to try and answer them but am also genuinely interested in what was the last straw for you. After all, maybe you're right.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »
Exactly that, the default position is an assumption and not an empirical fact.  It takes proof in either direction to discount or to confirm that assumption.  To assume a drug doesn't do shit still requires you to test the drug to confirm it doesn't do shit.
1) I never said that the default position that these people are taking is empirical fact. Way to put words in my mouth. Also, since you seemed to have missed it the couple times I said it, I'm a Christian.

2) Assuming a drug doesn't do anything particularly useful doesn't require testing it.

What we have in drug testing is where you suggest a hypothesis that X drug treats Y disease. And then you test that hypothesis by comparing results to those that would have come from the null hypothesis (that X drug will have no better effect than an inert substance/placebo). This null hypothesis comes before you've done ANY testing whatsoever and in fact, is supposed to be implicit and adhered to at all stages of the trial (be it in design or implementation phases).

The default position that God does not exist will require us to prove that he doesn't once evidence is presented that maybe he does.
Except they already grant you the assumption of "maybe He does" with no evidence. They just default themselves to thinking that He doesn't and change their mind when you have convinced them that their assumption is wrong. It's all about that null hypothesis. They compare your hypothesis (called the "alternative hypothesis") and the conclusion derived from it to those obtained from the null hypothesis.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2011, 09:57:50 PM »
I think it would be really great if all the major religions got together, figured out their differences, and then told me what their "best version" is, ie the one most convincing. kthxbye

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2011, 02:36:42 AM »

But assuming that Paul DID believe in such divine origins for Jesus, I still don't agree.  Mostly because there is no record in the Synoptic Gospels of Jesus ever telling anyone any such thing while he was on this earth.  I believe that all such divine statuses for Jesus are post-crucifixion attributions by his fervent followers, nothing more.

But hey, that's just my $0.02.

EDIT: @GP: especially God's Final Message To His Creation.

EDIT 2: BrotherH, I would suggest The Meaning of Jesus: Two Visions by Marcus Borg and N.T. Wright.

If he was resurrected, how is he not divine?
What does that have anything to do with it?  When and if you or I are resurrected, will you or I be divine?

It just strikes me that if you're willing to believe in resurrection then you might as well believe in the rest of the gospel supernatural. Since when has  a non-divine being been resurrected?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2011, 04:47:27 AM »
I thought you were against the "all-or-nothing" mentality.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2011, 04:51:54 AM »
Since when has  a non-divine being been resurrected?

Lazarus?

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2011, 05:39:21 AM »
Since when has  a non-divine being been resurrected?

Lazarus?
Maybe, but wasn't he was resurrected by Jesus though - God on earth - rather than seemingly resurrecting himself?

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2011, 05:41:25 AM »
I suppose so, but I'm wondering why you don't believe Jesus was divine to start with when he ends with an unaided divine act that you do believe in.

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2011, 07:33:09 AM »
Exactly that, the default position is an assumption and not an empirical fact.  It takes proof in either direction to discount or to confirm that assumption.  To assume a drug doesn't do shit still requires you to test the drug to confirm it doesn't do shit.
1) I never said that the default position that these people are taking is empirical fact. Way to put words in my mouth. Also, since you seemed to have missed it the couple times I said it, I'm a Christian.

2) Assuming a drug doesn't do anything particularly useful doesn't require testing it.

What we have in drug testing is where you suggest a hypothesis that X drug treats Y disease. And then you test that hypothesis by comparing results to those that would have come from the null hypothesis (that X drug will have no better effect than an inert substance/placebo). This null hypothesis comes before you've done ANY testing whatsoever and in fact, is supposed to be implicit and adhered to at all stages of the trial (be it in design or implementation phases).

The default position that God does not exist will require us to prove that he doesn't once evidence is presented that maybe he does.
Except they already grant you the assumption of "maybe He does" with no evidence. They just default themselves to thinking that He doesn't and change their mind when you have convinced them that their assumption is wrong. It's all about that null hypothesis. They compare your hypothesis (called the "alternative hypothesis") and the conclusion derived from it to those obtained from the null hypothesis.

Didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I was just agreeing with your statement that the position is an assumption.  Perhaps my argument here is not so articulate, but it seems to me that there is a certain amount of faith one must take to stand firm on a atheistic position because at some point the atheist will have to reject a contrary position and will realize that their own position cannot be empirically proven.  Whether we call this position default or not does not make a difference about the fact that someone must still put faith in it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2011, 09:39:15 AM »
I suppose so, but I'm wondering why you don't believe Jesus was divine to start with when he ends with an unaided divine act that you do believe in.
I believe he was raised by God, which goes along with all the references I posted yesterday.

God raised Jesus from the dead.  Of course, this is also how Paul describes it in 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Romans, and 1 Thessalonians.  It is also used thusly in 1 Peter, and in Acts, Colossians, Ephesians, etc.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2011, 11:07:26 AM »
Not surprisingly really, right? As I understand it, the notion that Jesus is part of God emerged much later. So, in the mindset of early Christianity, there could have been only one agent to raise Jesus from the dead.

rumborak

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2011, 11:22:08 AM »
Not surprisingly really, right? As I understand it, the notion that Jesus is part of God emerged much later. So, in the mindset of early Christianity, there could have been only one agent to raise Jesus from the dead.

rumborak
Perhaps according to the Jesus Seminar, but who cares what they think?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2011, 11:28:42 AM »
What are you talking about? There were many interpretations floating around (Arianism, Sabellianism), pretending that the Church fathers all only believed in the orthodox trinitarian view is ridiculous.
You seem to become more fundamentalist as time passes, WW. I can't remember you driving such categorical rejections of differing views a while ago.

rumborak
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:36:49 AM by rumborak »

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »
What are you talking about? There were many interpretations floating around (Arianism, Sabellianism), pretending that the Church fathers all only believed in the orthodox trinitarian view is ridiculous.

rumborak
Right, but those heretical views are all more recent, usually dated to the second or third century. A fact even your go to source, Ehrman, acknowledges.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2011, 11:59:08 AM »
WW - I honestly don't feel like getting into all of it in detail. I know that sounds like a cop-out but I just don't care  :). I've had literal days worth of conversations with good Christian friends and other pastors for the last 5-6 years about this, picked through every scrap of theological contradiction with them, etc. At this point, picking out individual issues I fought with really isn't going to change anything, even if they could be reconciled or answered. It's not that I don't think you have good things to say, just that after spending 25 years parsing these issues, I have no desire to spend any more of my precious time on this earth doing so.

The one issue I will raise is this: For the sake of argument, let's say I somehow resolve all of my problems with contradictions, philosophical impossibilities, etc. concerning the Bible and the theology is presents. There is still no experience with a supernatural God on my part to go back to. I myself insisted for many years that belief is not based on feeling - it is based on faith in the direction of evidence (Paul makes this clear in Hebrews 11, distinguishing "blind faith" from "evidence based faith"). However, what is the presence of the Holy Spirit, God's guidance, conviction, knowing God's will, and all the rest, if not a feeling (at it's base)?

It's great to say, "It's not about feelings," but at the end of the day, individual spiritual experiences are exactly about that. How does the Bible itself speak of God's presence in the lives of people? It uses phrases such as (paraphrasing the Greek now) "peace that defies intellect," and "prodding of the soul," and "burning in the breast/heart." All of these confirmations that God is in fact interacting in us through the Holy Spirit are manifested in internal, subjective feelings. The manifestations of peace may be displayed in outward contentment, or Spirit granted "power" (as seen in Acts 2) is manifested in boldness to speak the gospel, etc. But I think you'd agree that these outward signs are not proof of God in and of themselves, as they can be inexplicably displayed by serial killers, pagans, the mentally disturbed, or more commonly, by normal everyday people who attribute their boldness, peace, etc. to external events.

So while I agree that faith in God should have very little to do with emotions, the confirmation of a relationship with him is deeply rooted in such emotions. In this, I feel that I had a very long, one-sided relationship in which I sought very hard for such confirmations - conviction, boldness, guidance, etc. But if I'm being completely honest with myself, any time I claimed such supernatural intervention in my life, it was completely manufactured in hopes that it really was of God and not of me. But it always began and ended with me. There's a temptation to say, "Well, you were doing it wrong then," to which I would answer - then why didn't God correct it or show me the way when I confessed that very thing to him repeatedly for years? Asking him to help my unbelief, to show me why none of it was real for me, to fix it? I'm still open to the possibility that I'm wrong, but it's disturbing at the least to think of the many tears I shed in genuine supplication, asking for God to show me, and yet never received a hint of answer, either in my "heart" or in scripture. Am I the vessel made for destruction? What father would give a child a stone when he asks for bread? I begged for it, yet I starved.

Also, I would never pit logic against faith. As I said earlier, I believe the biblical view is that they should work together in matters of salvation. But in real life, often times financial responsibility or simple knowledge of cause/effect tells us to do one thing (save money, invest, don't trust strangers, etc.), faith and biblical president tells us to do another (give all your money to the poor, think not for tomorrow, treat the stranger as a brother). Unfortunately, I often did the latter and it caused irreversible pain to many people, especially my family, who scripture also says is to be my main priority. I'm sure there's a way to balance this, but I share a similar story to many people in "ministry" who have lost everything for the sake of the gospel. That's fine if you want to do it, but I (and others around me) accurately assessed that my sacrifice was reaping zero fruit. I'm not bitter about that, it's just a factual assessment taken over many years.

As for my opinion about atheists prior to de-conversion, that's actually one of the "straws" you spoke of (though I can't point to a single straw that finally "broke me" - this happened gradually over almost 5 years of time, and is in fact still happening now. I'm still weighing evidence, praying, and trying to understand - I'm just not letting it rule my life, and I actually don't think about it much at all anymore. I'm at peace :)) I worked part time in a cover band while I was a pastor. The drummer was the only atheist and over time I came to greatly admire his work ethic, compassion, citizenship, self-discipline, and the fact that he was the most genuinely happy and content person I'd ever known. I was jealous of that - he had everything that Jesus was supposed to have been working in me for 25 years. We never talked about religion - it was his "witness" that made me seriously consider that there was something wrong about my worldview. I didn't expect him to be a "bad" person because he was an atheist, no more than I expected Christians to be "good" because they were saved. But his life greatly challenged my perception that man needs God to live a fulfilled life and exhibit Christ-like behavior. Seriously, this single atheist was more Christ-like than anyone I'd ever met in all my years of ministry - across denominational and country lines. It had a huge impact on me and made me start wondering why I, supposedly filled with the Spirit of the living God, could not find the simple peace and love this guy had found from just enjoying life and seizing the day.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »

rumborak
Right, but those heretical views are all more recent, usually dated to the second or third century. A fact even your go to source, Ehrman, acknowledges.

The concept of trinity is equally as recent to my knowledge, and was in fact formulated and agreed-on in response to the other views.

rumborak

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2011, 12:27:07 PM »

rumborak

The concept of trinity is equally as recent to my knowledge, and was in fact formulated and agreed-on in response to the other views.

rumborak

I don't want to come in here being a smart-ass know it all (I'm still new, I'll do that later... :biggrin:), but the idea of the Trinity is latently present from the early parts of Genesis. Usually it's found in the language which seems to purposely use plural pronouns incorrectly. In other words, many times when God speaks, and the context and structure calls for a personal pronoun, the biblical writers actually used a plural pronouns (We and Us instead of I and Me). This was a curiosity to early scribes and later to the Pharisees in the inter-testimental period in the first century, but it was maintained because it was thought to be sacred despite being grammatically incorrect. The Trinity is also represented in archetype and symbolism in the vast majority of the partriarchial stories.

That said, I don't think the early nation of Israel believed in a triune God - or at least spoke of it in that way. I think they were more influenced by polytheistic cultures surrounding them. Paul and other NT writers on the other hand used the teachings of Jesus to work backwards through the Jewish scriptures and point out many of these hints about the doctrine of the Trinity, something that Jesus also encourages his followers to do on several occasions.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »
I agree with most of what you wrote there, WS. I also agree that Paul and other "worked backwards" to make sense of what they had experienced (the death of Jesus and his post-death sightings) and thus concluded that Jesus was divine, or at least had divine elements. But, and I also agree with you there, that the early Christians did not believe in anything triune. That whole concept was a later invention.

rumborak

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2011, 12:32:32 PM »

rumborak

rumborak

No it isn't. And this is where Ehrman as a source of apologetic material comes in. As he points out, early scribes actually changed certain verses to affirm the trinity, which means many first century Christians obviously knew about it accepted the concept. And a good read on this topic, which I'm engaged in now, is Phillip Jenkins' The Hidden Gospels.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2011, 12:36:03 PM »
As a quick FYI, WW, I am not Bart Ehrman. Yes, I have read 2 books of his, but I have also read other sources that contribute to my notion of this.
IMHO, the early Christians tried to make sense of the phenomenal "failure" of Christianity, in that their leader was plainly crucified, and the Kingdom was nowhere to be seen. So, they tried to glue the remaining pieces together best as they could. The idea that Jesus had a special standing with God, and even elements of divinity, was a theological necessity (so to speak), but Trinity, as the modern concept of a triune being, was not their view.

rumborak

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2011, 12:51:27 PM »
As a quick FYI, WW, I am not Bart Ehrman. Yes, I have read 2 books of his, but I have also read other sources that contribute to my notion of this.
I understand. I see him as a hostile witness of sorts, so I regularly reference his work when possible. I shouldn't have suggested that you're an Ehrman fanboi, sorry. Though I recall you mentioning that most of what you know about this stuff comes from his books.

IMHO, the early Christians tried to make sense of the phenomenal "failure" of Christianity, in that their leader was plainly crucified, and the Kingdom was nowhere to be seen.
We went over this before and you decided it wasn't worth the effort to answer my arguments that Jesus wasn't preaching a soon-to-come apocalypse. Unless you've changed your mind, I don't think it's fair to assume what you are from the outset.

So, they tried to glue the remaining pieces together best as they could. The idea that Jesus had a special standing with God, and even elements of divinity, was a theological necessity (so to speak), but Trinity, as the modern concept of a triune being, was not their view.

rumborak

It's a lovely (and old) theory, but it's severely hampered by the fact that our earliest sources affirm the views, including the trinity, we would call orthodox today.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2011, 02:48:48 PM »
I would be quite interested in seeing passages that, without semantic acrobatics, show that early Christians had the view of orthodox Trinity.

rumborak

Offline Ħ

« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »
I would be quite interested in seeing passages that, without semantic acrobatics, show that early Christians had the view of orthodox Trinity.

rumborak

Well to be fair, the word "Trinity" wasn't around in those times, so no one would have said "I believe in the Trinity".  But it's clear that Jesus was regarded as God, and that the Holy Spirit was regarded as God, and the Father of course, throughout the NT.  So "God" was ascribed to each of those people.  And that's the "Trinity" right there.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2011, 04:38:14 PM »

rumborak

I won't bother then, since you seem to classify standard biblical exegesis as "semantic acrobatics."  

EDIT:
You seem to become more fundamentalist as time passes, WW. I can't remember you driving such categorical rejections of differing views a while ago.
I'm not sure why. My views on these issues have changed very slightly with time.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:18:48 PM by William Wallace »

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2011, 06:49:04 PM »

rumborak

Well to be fair, the word "Trinity" wasn't around in those times, so no one would have said "I believe in the Trinity".  But it's clear that Jesus was regarded as God, and that the Holy Spirit was regarded as God, and the Father of course, throughout the NT.  So "God" was ascribed to each of those people.  And that's the "Trinity" right there.

This...the Gospel of John attributes Christ and God as one in the same.  Also Christ commanded his disciples to baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  The actual theology of the Trinity did not come about until a couple centuries later as orthodox Christian leaders sought to define this "of same essence" relationship in response to sects that started to view the Father and the Son as separate Gods.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2011, 07:07:55 PM »

rumborak

This...the Gospel of John attributes Christ and God as one in the same.  Also Christ commanded his disciples to baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  The actual theology of the Trinity did not come about until a couple centuries later as orthodox Christian leaders sought to define this "of same essence" relationship in response to sects that started to view the Father and the Son as separate Gods.
But their formulation was based on data from the New Testament. That's the key.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2011, 07:11:19 PM »
But the NT as a composite grouping doesn't date to the time period we are discussing.  Sure, John equates Jesus with God, but it is the latest of the four canonical Gospels.  There is no such theology in the Synoptics.  And I don't believe for a minute that any of the earliest Apostles believed in anything like a Trinity.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »
But the NT as a composite grouping doesn't date to the time period we are discussing.  Sure, John equates Jesus with God, but it is the latest of the four canonical Gospels.  There is no such theology in the Synoptics.  And I don't believe for a minute that any of the earliest Apostles believed in anything like a Trinity.
But John does provide an account of the period we're talking about, and his gospel was completed in the first century, not too much later than the Synoptics. I don't see a particular reason he should be distrusted. Furthermore, his theology may be much more explicit than the other three, but there's nothing in John that can't be found in Matthew, Mark or Luke.  

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2011, 07:40:07 PM »
But the NT as a composite grouping doesn't date to the time period we are discussing.  Sure, John equates Jesus with God, but it is the latest of the four canonical Gospels.  There is no such theology in the Synoptics.  And I don't believe for a minute that any of the earliest Apostles believed in anything like a Trinity.
But John does provide an account of the period we're talking about, and his gospel was completed in the first century, not too much later than the Synoptics. I don't see a particular reason he should be distrusted. Furthermore, his theology may be much more explicit than the other three, but there's nothing in John that can't be found in Matthew, Mark or Luke. 

There is plenty in John that is not in the Synoptics.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #169 on: July 06, 2011, 07:45:12 PM »

This. If it weren't for the Passion sequence, John almost seems like it's about a completely different person.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #170 on: July 06, 2011, 07:49:55 PM »

This. If it weren't for the Passion sequence, John almost seems like it's about a completely different person.
There's differences to be sure. But I think your exaggerating them. Why John must conform to the Synoptics in order to be reliable is a mystery to me.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #171 on: July 06, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »

There's differences to be sure. But I think your exaggerating them. Why John must conform to the Synoptics in order to be reliable is a mystery to me.

Because when two people share accounts of an event, and both are different, they cannot both be right.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #172 on: July 06, 2011, 07:59:51 PM »
Lots of NT scholars say that their differences actually add to their credibility.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: July 06, 2011, 08:01:37 PM »
Lots of NT scholars say that their differences actually add to their credibility.
Lots of fundamentalist "scholars" say that.  Most others wouldn't.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2011, 08:30:36 PM »

Because when two people share accounts of an event, and both are different, they cannot both be right.
Yes, if there are truly irreconcilable differences. But that doesn't make either generally unreliable. You could dismiss a lot of historical material, and would do so wrongly, based on the standard that many commentators apply to the Gospels, John particularly.