Author Topic: Repentance Appreciation Thread  (Read 13248 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Repentance Appreciation Thread
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2013, 04:24:22 AM »
Shame there's little to no chance of this song being played live for the foreseeable future. I would love to experience that solo section live.

I wouldn't say there's little to no chance at all! They played TROAE on the ADTOE tour, so nothing from the 12SS is off limits, and I don't see any other strong reason DT wouldn't play it.

I mainly meant because of the spoken word section in the middle. I don't think that section would really work live, and somehow I don't think the band does either, bearing in mind the only time they've played it was with Akerfeldt on stage. Also, the people featured in that section are mostly close musician friends of MP and, as has been mentioned in this thread already, most of the things they say are too "specific".

I realise that still doesn't rule it out entirely, I'm just trying to look at it from the band's point of view.

I'm not seeing a problem with any of that. The samples are specifically for the song, as is fitting. The only common thread is that they're making amends for regrets, but otherwise they're not that specific. I don't see any reason the band would have a problem with the samples any more than their other songs.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2013, 06:14:10 AM »
Really good song.  Definitely the best song on an otherwise average SC, and definitely the 2nd best 12-step song (just barely better than The Shattered Fortress, but not as good as The Glass Prison).  I think the long finish works perfectly.
I quite agree with you Kev...
From Rome, with love.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »
This does seem to get shit on a lot more than other songs and I don't get it.  Out of the 12 Step Suite it is definitely not the worst (TSF is) but I can see it not being everyones favorite with other strong songs to choose from. 

I really love everything about this song EXCEPT some of the voice samples.  Some of those people have kind of a weak speaking voice, especially the last person.  I also thought having some of those people be so specific about their regrets was....too specific.  Here is this grande song about regret and you hear somebody saying, "Sorry I didnt play at your wedding dude"

It doesnt ruin the song but if the quotes had been better it would be pretty much flawless

Well, MP couldve done his own regrets. I find it better he got others to do it, makes it feel like a group session. It drags after the samples and before.

I guess he could have, but having so many musical icons saying their regrets in a song about, well, repentance, is quite better in my opinion.

To be honest, I get chills every time Steven Wilson's regret comes up.

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2016, 11:50:12 AM »
What a beautiful song. Labrie is awesome here throughout and it's worth the ten minutes. Petrucci's solos give me chills every time and with that duality with Rudess is just amazing. I don't see why people would dislike this song. SC is a really strong album. At the end though, it is simply beautiful. The chorus of ahh's are very pleasing to the ear. If you close your eyes and listen to it, It can take you places you've never been before. At the end is really nice too. When Portnoy speaks, that part also givea me the very chills. The meaning is deep yet true. It is mysterious, haunting, the best in the suite and is the MOST different. I love this song very much.
Glad to be back.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2016, 12:06:40 PM »
Yeah, one of DT's finest songs, and the best on the 12SS :P

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2016, 12:07:25 PM »
I'm glad you agree  :tup
I really don't understand the hate....
Glad to be back.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2016, 12:21:02 PM »
I'll keep my opinion to myself since this is clearly an appreciation thread  :angel:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2016, 12:35:53 PM »
I'll keep my opinion to myself since this is clearly an appreciation thread  :angel:
XD
Dang it, I'm willing to know your opinion.
Glad to be back.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2016, 12:45:53 PM »
I was just listening to this song on my ride to work this morning, lol.  I was thinking what a powerful song this is, and possibly Portnoy's best moment lyrically in DT.  It's definitely a highlight for me from Systematic Chaos, which I also find myself appreciating more as time goes on.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2016, 12:51:48 PM »
I love the song. It has a very nice and chill melancholic atmosphere. Also it's musically somewhat a unique song in the band's discography. The only thing I don't really care about is the spoken word section. I understand the point of it though, so it doesn't bother too much.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »
What a beautiful song. Labrie is awesome here throughout and it's worth the ten minutes. Petrucci's solos give me chills every time and with that duality with Rudess is just amazing. I don't see why people would dislike this song. SC is a really strong album. At the end though, it is simply beautiful. The chorus of ahh's are very pleasing to the ear. If you close your eyes and listen to it, It can take you places you've never been before. At the end is really nice too. When Portnoy speaks, that part also givea me the very chills. The meaning is deep yet true. It is mysterious, haunting, the best in the suite and is the MOST different. I love this song very much.

I agree with all of this. A recent re-listening of SC has made my opinion on the album overall much more positive.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »
 :tup
Repetance deserves a lot of  :heart
Glad to be back.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2016, 11:37:14 AM »
Since we're here to appreciate the song; my uncle and I covered it a while ago if you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5audgoVYETI

Don't click if you can't handle the vocals in female voice xD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2016, 12:03:41 PM »
Never could get into this song. I haven't listened to it in years, I always skip it. The rest of SC is great though!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2016, 11:43:48 PM »
Since we're here to appreciate the song; my uncle and I covered it a while ago if you're interested:

Nice cover, Enalya!

I also took a look at your video called "Owl Griffin - Process". It's the first time I ever saw that sort of software in action. It blew my mind.

From there I got to one of your artwork collections. I also like Lindsey Stirling, and your 3-D artwork is really cool. Did you get any feedback from her?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2016, 11:50:24 PM »

With all do respect to your uncle, I would love to hear you sing this with a properly recorded band version. Maybe get those split screen guys to do it with you singing? I really loved your approach to it.

Also this is my favorite song on SC. I really love this song actually. All of it. Ending at all. Actually, not all of it, the effect on MP's speaking voice is a bit silly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Enalya

« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2016, 08:43:19 AM »

Nice cover, Enalya!

I also took a look at your video called "Owl Griffin - Process". It's the first time I ever saw that sort of software in action. It blew my mind.

From there I got to one of your artwork collections. I also like Lindsey Stirling, and your 3-D artwork is really cool. Did you get any feedback from her?

Wo thanks for the compliments and actually watching more vids ^^
Nope, I linked it a couple of times but I can understand she's really busy or won't even see it at all ö

With all do respect to your uncle, I would love to hear you sing this with a properly recorded band version. Maybe get those split screen guys to do it with you singing? I really loved your approach to it.

Also this is my favorite song on SC. I really love this song actually. All of it. Ending at all. Actually, not all of it, the effect on MP's speaking voice is a bit silly.

Aw thank you. 'Those split screen guys'? xD Or did I fail to notice the ones who cover DT are always the same guys?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2016, 11:16:33 AM »
They're usually the same guys but with different singers. Just saying, you'd make an excellent next singer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Enalya

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2016, 12:50:48 PM »
They're usually the same guys but with different singers. Just saying, you'd make an excellent next singer.

I see, ty very much, I'll look into it : )

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2016, 11:26:03 AM »
I've had this song stuck in my head all day, particularly JP's solo. One of DT's most underrated songs in my opinion.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2016, 12:36:39 PM »
I liked the song more when Akerfeldt sang it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2016, 12:43:32 PM »
Repentance has one of my favorite JP solos.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2016, 09:00:54 AM »
I'm the opposite.  I like all of the songs on SC EXCEPT this.  It starts off great, but by the end with all the "ahhhhh" parts I'm done with it.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »
I was watching the making of SC video last night and noticed that it has JP doing the whole solo.  Pretty awesome!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »
I was watching the making of SC video last night and noticed that it has JP doing the whole solo.  Pretty awesome!

Yes! I do remember that, and thanks to you I think I'll watch that right now.   :)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2016, 09:30:59 AM »
I'm the opposite.  I like all of the songs on SC EXCEPT this.  It starts off great, but by the end with all the "ahhhhh" parts I'm done with it.

I actually think that's how it is for most people. The first two thirds are awesome, and the first few ahhhs are decent too, but after that it starts falling apart. Maybe they were shooting for a Pink Floyd type of drawn out, trance-like section, but it doesn't come together that way.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2016, 11:51:52 AM »

I actually really like that part. I love the whole mood it invokes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »
Definitely think it goes on too long.

The solo is great though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2016, 12:46:38 PM »
I think they could've shortened it a bit but not much.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2016, 10:57:42 PM »
The problem with that part is the lack of buildup. The production (mastering) killed any dynamics on the album and this song suffers for it big time. If that final part started off really soft and crescendoed to the very end, it would've been awesome. But as it is, the whole thing is just one volume and it gets old fast.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods