Author Topic: Repentance Appreciation Thread  (Read 13394 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Repentance Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2011, 10:05:57 PM »
I don't consider 8vm to be the magnum opus everyone else does. I like it, mostly the flute intro, the outro solo and so forth, but it's still not the godsend that I've been told it is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2011, 10:30:59 PM »
Repentance is very good up until the voice sample section. Then it drags too much. But all in all it's a worthwhile song and I like it better than The Shattered Fortress.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2011, 10:35:09 PM »
Really good song.  Definitely the best song on an otherwise average SC, and definitely the 2nd best 12-step song (just barely better than The Shattered Fortress, but not as good as The Glass Prison).  I think the long finish works perfectly. 

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2011, 10:36:55 PM »
Same here

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2011, 01:22:37 AM »
I don't consider 8vm to be the magnum opus everyone else does. I like it, mostly the flute intro, the outro solo and so forth, but it's still not the godsend that I've been told it is.

Yeah, I agree.  I don't put it in front of songs like ACOS or LTL  like many do.  At the same time though...Repentance better than it is?  I mean...yeah, we all have different tastes, but this would be like me saying You Not Me is better than Lines in the Sand  :omg: ;D

Offline j

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 02:46:59 AM »

I'm with you, broheisen.  It's a great song, but not quite as great as you'd think after spending some time here at good ol' DTF.

-J

Offline Mladen

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2011, 04:47:25 AM »
One of the best songs on SC easily.
Yep. Truly amazing atmosphere...

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2011, 05:08:37 AM »
Hell yeah! Crushing atmosphere. <3

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2011, 12:14:14 PM »
it's a different tune, very different than wat DT has done EVER!
but it's indeed to long that same riff tones over and over again bores me after a few minuts however the feel to the song is awesome.
and yes it's better than 8v, it's better than 8v the total record.
but it's not in my top 10 of dt songs.

did they hever play the 12 step live? i'm just thinking this ..as i dont think i have heard this song live anywhere or on a bootleg..
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2013, 03:39:21 PM »
Bumping to say I could listen to Myung play that dirty bass line of his in this song for hours.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »
I enjoy the atmosphere. It really lets you feel the mindset in having to repent. The other artists coming in to say their wrongs was a nice idea. JR's subtle be-bot sounds and those subtle vocoder sounding "ow?" Sounds are cool.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2013, 04:02:04 PM »
Would have been better had it not been part of the AA suite, IMHO. Because then it wouldn't have had that "confession" section which I really don't like (in my perception those confessions are pretty bogus, not very genuine).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2013, 04:53:30 PM »
I'd say they are about 50/50.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2013, 06:48:18 PM »
One of the best songs on DT's 2nd best album.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2013, 07:19:58 PM »
Definitely a highlight of the album, one of the very few.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2013, 07:50:13 PM »
Bumping to say I could listen to Myung play that dirty bass line of his in this song for hours.

o/

I love when he does the big tremolo slides down the neck. Badass.

I just listened to this song the other day. It's a great song, aside from just being a touch too long. Just cut out the speeches from other people, the low talking voice, and it's all good. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2013, 08:29:26 PM »
Truly amazing. It has a strong Steven Wilson and Opeth's Damnation vibe.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2013, 11:34:59 PM »
This does seem to get shit on a lot more than other songs and I don't get it.  Out of the 12 Step Suite it is definitely not the worst (TSF is) but I can see it not being everyones favorite with other strong songs to choose from. 

I really love everything about this song EXCEPT some of the voice samples.  Some of those people have kind of a weak speaking voice, especially the last person.  I also thought having some of those people be so specific about their regrets was....too specific.  Here is this grande song about regret and you hear somebody saying, "Sorry I didnt play at your wedding dude"

It doesnt ruin the song but if the quotes had been better it would be pretty much flawless

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2013, 06:40:06 AM »
This song is awesome!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2013, 08:48:12 AM »
One of three reasons I don't much rate SC. I find the song rather boring. And it comes after CM and TDEN, both of which are also skippers for me, meaning SC goes from Forsaken to PoW. Shortest DT album and the weakest. The rest of the album is fine (PoW) to great (the rest).

I just find Repentance just rambles on without really going anywhere.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2013, 04:12:23 PM »
This does seem to get shit on a lot more than other songs and I don't get it.  Out of the 12 Step Suite it is definitely not the worst (TSF is) but I can see it not being everyones favorite with other strong songs to choose from. 

I really love everything about this song EXCEPT some of the voice samples.  Some of those people have kind of a weak speaking voice, especially the last person.  I also thought having some of those people be so specific about their regrets was....too specific.  Here is this grande song about regret and you hear somebody saying, "Sorry I didnt play at your wedding dude"

It doesnt ruin the song but if the quotes had been better it would be pretty much flawless

Well, MP couldve done his own regrets. I find it better he got others to do it, makes it feel like a group session. It drags after the samples and before.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2013, 08:40:35 PM »

Well, MP couldve done his own regrets. I find it better he got others to do it, makes it feel like a group session. It drags after the samples and before.

Guess I didn't think of that.  Hmmm, maybe it'll make me appreciate it more.  Gotta listen to it again to see. 

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »
Would actually really appreciate more DT songs like this, with a focus on ambience and mood as opposed to busyness, heaviness or epicness.

Does anyone else hear what seems to be MP going "doo... doo... doo... doo.." throughout the part where everyone is talking? The more high quality the file is, the easier it is to hear it, but it's definitely there.

Does anyone know what that's about?

:lol Thanks for pointing it out... never noticed that before. Yeah, it's kinda weird.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »
For a time, this was my "obsessive" DT song. The one I just listened to time after time. The chord progression in the final 3 minutes is wonderful. An oasis of calm in the Twelve Step Suite. By far and away my favourite song on SC.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »
One of three reasons I don't much rate SC. I find the song rather boring. And it comes after CM and TDEN, both of which are also skippers for me, meaning SC goes from Forsaken to PoW. Shortest DT album and the weakest. The rest of the album is fine (PoW) to great (the rest).

I just find Repentance just rambles on without really going anywhere.

You may want to fix your sig now... :'(

Offline j

« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »
I also thought having some of those people be so specific about their regrets was....too specific.  Here is this grande song about regret and you hear somebody saying, "Sorry I didnt play at your wedding dude"

I agree with this.

Great guitar solo in this song.  One of the three songs I like from the 12 step suite.

-J

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2013, 10:39:57 PM »
I love the song. It's my second favorite off SC, after (pretty much obviously) ITPoE. The only part I don't like is the "aaaaaaaaaah" section near the end, but other than that it's a beautiful song. MP hit those lyrics spot on, and you don't see me complimenting MP's job frequently.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2013, 02:05:31 AM »

The only part I don't like is the "aaaaaaaaaah" section near the end, but other than that it's a beautiful song. MP hit those lyrics spot on, and you don't see me complimenting MP's job frequently.

This ^ Repentence is actually the only one I really like of that album, together with The Dark Eternal Night :-X

Offline farizfariz

• TONE !
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2013, 03:07:56 AM »
I love this song, the lyrics actually.
"The studio that we're recording was, Bear Tracks, Right ?"

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2013, 11:16:47 AM »
The only part I don't like is the "aaaaaaaaaah" section near the end, but other than that it's a beautiful song. MP hit those lyrics spot on, and you don't see me complimenting MP's job frequently.

This ^ Repentence is actually the only one I really like of that album, together with The Dark Eternal Night :-X

That section I feel is what makes it drag.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2013, 03:33:30 PM »
I love this song for all the reasons people dislike it. In my top 30 somewhere. I don't think it's too long.

In fact, I think the longness and repetition throughout the song is what makes it so good. It really sets the mood, and the repetition emphasizes this mood and atmosphere. The regrets section and the harmony section is mostly what I'm referring to. These sections are melancholic, but in a way that's almost uplifting.

The harmony section in particular is pretty intense, it's like you're drifitng in a sea of sorrow, regrets, and melancholy, and you're going deeper and deeper into the water as the song goes on. As you're listening you think "Woah, what have I been listening to for the last couple of minutes? This is intense." I think it's a powerful song in some ways.

Besides those few points, though, the guitar solo is one of JP's very best. Probably because it's one I can actually play ;) But it's really just beautiful. Great song on an ok album.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »
Shame there's little to no chance of this song being played live for the foreseeable future. I would love to experience that solo section live.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Shame there's little to no chance of this song being played live for the foreseeable future. I would love to experience that solo section live.

Agreed. I would love to see this live sometime.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »

I wouldn't say there's little to no chance at all! They played TROAE on the ADTOE tour, so nothing from the 12SS is off limits, and I don't see any other strong reason DT wouldn't play it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2013, 03:19:01 AM »

I wouldn't say there's little to no chance at all! They played TROAE on the ADTOE tour, so nothing from the 12SS is off limits, and I don't see any other strong reason DT wouldn't play it.

I mainly meant because of the spoken word section in the middle. I don't think that section would really work live, and somehow I don't think the band does either, bearing in mind the only time they've played it was with Akerfeldt on stage. Also, the people featured in that section are mostly close musician friends of MP and, as has been mentioned in this thread already, most of the things they say are too "specific".

I realise that still doesn't rule it out entirely, I'm just trying to look at it from the band's point of view.