Author Topic: ReaPsTA (Finally) Returns to the DMV  (Read 2194 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
ReaPsTA (Finally) Returns to the DMV
« on: June 21, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
I have no idea how long it's been since I originally wrote my "ReaPsTA goes to the DMV" story, about when I went to the DMV to get my learners permit.  That's probably a bad thing.  The fact I couldn't find it with the search function means it was too long ago.

But at long last I am here to report to you that I am licensed to drive in the state of Pennsylvania.  Unfortunately, the story wasn't too interesting, and I don't know how to make it seem interesting.  I'm not a very good writer today I guess.  Scattered thoughts about the events:

- After some mild drama about whether or not I was ready for the parallel parking segment, I went in and did it basically perfectly on my first try.  I felt pretty good after that.

- I can't believe how easy it is to get a drivers license in this state.  After the parallel parking, I just went for a quick drive around the block.  I don't think it was even five minutes worth.  Fortunately I managed to ace it.  The evaluator seemingly felt comfortable enough to chit-chat a little bit while we were out.  I assume that if I was doing a bad job he'd be at full alert instead.

- Last time I had to really deal with the DMV it was soul-suckingly routinized but at least workable.  When I went to get my drivers license photo taken, the woman behind the desk seemingly went out of her way to make me feel uncomfortable and like an imposition on her.  She said I needed my learner's permit, which I didn't know.  My mom had it about ten steps away and I said "Oh, I'll be right back."  To which she fired back "Oh no, you won't be right back."  Fortunately my mom did the right thing and walked over.  I get that the lady might have thought I needed to go to my car, but isn't that something you ask first?  Like, "Wait, you don't need to go to your car, do you?  Because you'll lose your place in line."  That'd be lame but at least explicable.  In general, everyone who works at the DMV seems defeated in some way.  People handle defeat differently.  Some of them just want to get it done, some of them are a bit off but nice, and some of them are whoever took my picture.

- Of course, my photo was terrible.  It's either (a) My "I just got my license and I think I'm awesome" face, which is lamer than I made it sound, my (b)  "I feel like laughing at this lady in front of me, and since I'm trying to be lighthearted in front of her without laughing at her my face is contorted in weird ways" face or (c) a shit-eating grin.  Actually it's probably a combination of the three.

- After I got my license I went to the Subway by the DMV, same as when I got my permit.  I guess there is some poetry to it.

- After getting my license, I have three primary reactions.  One is this definite feeling of "OH YES, FINALLY, MY WHOLE ABILITY TO DO EVERYTHING IS COMPLETELY CHANGED!"  It's not really major, but everything feels just a little different.  Another is "I'm twenty-three, it's about time."  Which isn't nice or appreciative, but really it's true.  And finally, overwhelming worry that I'm going to get in an accident, very possibly because I have a crappy attention span.  And maybe kill people.  In fact that feeling is more powerful than the other two.  This is probably why I don't succeed much at life.

See what I did there?  I threw a dark ending onto what should be a happy story.  I did something a real writer would do.  So I'm still awesome.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: ReaPsTA (Finally) Returns to the DMV
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »
See what I did there?  I threw a dark ending onto what should be a happy story.  I did something a real writer would do.  So I'm still awesome.

Silver Clouds & Black Linings.  :clap:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 03:10:33 PM »
Firstly, we're a commonwealth, and secondly, were in our fine commonwealth are you located?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 03:15:52 PM »
Reap, can we hang out one day? We can just sit there and be in each other's presence and it'll rock.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 03:21:32 PM »

Silver Clouds & Black Linings.  :clap:

Ha ha.  Nicely done.

Firstly, we're a commonwealth, and secondly, were in our fine commonwealth are you located?

True.  And check your PMs

Reap, can we hang out one day? We can just sit there and be in each other's presence and it'll rock.

You're building this up in your head way too much.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:24:56 PM »

James, Reap' and I have hung out in each others' presence on Facebook, and let me tell you, it was--well...it was a lot like you and I hanging out in each others' presence on Facebook, except that I never got the constant, uncomfortable feeling that Reap' was staring at me inappropriately.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: I can change windows, I swear!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 03:31:36 PM »

Are you already bored of me lurking outside your window constantly?
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 03:37:14 PM »

James, Reap' and I have hung out in each others' presence on Facebook, and let me tell you, it was--well...it was a lot like you and I hanging out in each others' presence on Facebook, except that I never got the constant, uncomfortable feeling that Reap' was staring at me inappropriately.

I can do that at will. Just ask...

Are you already bored of me lurking outside your window constantly?

Oh never mind, he's here. The guy who looks so cute when he sleeps.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »
I went to the DMV today to get my learners permit. I waited about an hour and once I began my test, the computers went down. I had to wait about 20 minutes before I could start up again, but I passed so all is good.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »
If you fail the permit test in Pennsylvania I think they should make you take an additional 2 years of grade school or something. That test is so ridiculously easy.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 05:38:11 PM »
But at long last I am here to report to you that I am licensed to drive in the state of Pennsylvania. 

Congrats, from a grateful pedestrian in California.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 06:37:54 PM »
Were in our fine commonwealth are you located?

This.  Originally from Johnstown, but I would say I've covered most of the western half of the state.  Speaking of which, I'm going to the Pittsburgh show for The Dear Hunter, if you're into that kind of thing and near by.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »
watch out for stop sign runnin old ladies in minivans

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 12:13:44 PM »
I went to the DMV today to get my learners permit. I waited about an hour and once I began my test, the computers went down. I had to wait about 20 minutes before I could start up again, but I passed so all is good.

Great place that DMV, isn't it?

Cue in cool song about DMV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M_jh4CA8a8

Very nice.  Cool fourish minutes of my life.  Always down for the bass stylings of Les Claypool.

If you fail the permit test in Pennsylvania I think they should make you take an additional 2 years of grade school or something. That test is so ridiculously easy.

It takes some studying, but yeah, I agree.  I got zero questions wrong.  I had to skip one or two but go so many other questions right they didn't make me go back.

But at long last I am here to report to you that I am licensed to drive in the state of Pennsylvania. 

I'm planning on moving out there at some point.  Prepare yourself.

Were in our fine commonwealth are you located?

This.  Originally from Johnstown, but I would say I've covered most of the western half of the state.  Speaking of which, I'm going to the Pittsburgh show for The Dear Hunter, if you're into that kind of thing and near by.

Lancaster County.  Since you're from Johnstown - you ever been to Idlewilde Park?  It's almost worth the price of admission for the wooden roller coaster.  And the Mr. Rogers ride is a nice place to rediscover your childhood.
Over and over again

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 01:09:46 PM »
Several times.  Thats where our school had its annual picnic (except for senior trip, that was Hershey Park).  If you like old-school wooden coasters, Lakemont Park in Altoona had 2, including one from 1908, last I heard.

Lancaster County...I might be your neighbor soon.  Applied for a job up there and I have several in's with the faculty from several conferences I've been to (I'm sure you can guess the school, please don't post it - trying to be hush-hush about it).  Well, I just jinxed that.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »

I'm planning on moving out there at some point.  Prepare yourself.
Really?  So Cal is a beautiful area.