Author Topic: [Music] Mastodon - Live at Aragon  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
[Music] Mastodon - Live at Aragon
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:40:21 AM »
Mastodon are, to be honest, a band that has only won me over recently. Unfortunately, it took me years to seperate them from the many craptastic bands which are loosely grouped together under the banner of "New Wave of American Heavy Metal." When I picked up last year's "Crack The Skye"-- an album about wormholes, imperialist Russia and the suicide of drummer Brann Dailor's 14 year old sister Skye (to name a few things)-- I realized I'd cheated them. Mastodon have got something going on here. Really, Mastodon are what metal-- no, music-- is all about, warts and all.

Let me explain that to you, my now-oh-so-skeptical reader. Mastodon is not just as metal as we get, but Mastodon is the tradition of metal. Or at least their last album, "Crack the Skye," was. Take the doomy, occult-laden atmosphere of Black Sabbath, combine it with Iron Maiden's penchant for the 'fine-arts' of literature and drama, Motorhead's realness and grit, Dream Theater's willingness to turn what the genre of 'metal' can actually mean on its head and, finally, a contemporary sound that only a modern band can offer and you have Mastodon. If you love metal, I don't understand why you wouldn't  like this band, unless you're one of those purist guys who care more about clinging to  stylistic carrion than you do about appreciating music.

Anyway, "Live at Aragon" is a necessity for Mastodon devoutees and a good point of departure for new fans. It includes a full live version of what I consider to be their latest and greatest, as well as a handful of older classics from their sludgier roots.

A quick word about the vocals, which have been a frequent subject of complaint about this live-set. As I said above, this is metal, "warts and all." Before singers like Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson were mythologized and every metal band had to have an awesome, allegedly "classically trained" vocalist, things were a lot rougher around the edges. With Mastodon, you get three less-than-stellar voices:

There's the bassist, who's got a really cool yelp but consistently fails to hit the high-notes. Then you have the drummer, who's got a great machine-like Maynard Keenan impression going. He's the most on-key, but he sings relatively few parts and his voice doesn't really have much character. Finally, there's the guitarist. His voice has the most character, but is the hardest to swallow, but getting used to it is worth the endeavor. His high-pitched quivering slurs genuinely sound like the voice of someone who's just woken up from of one-too-many mescaline-inspired "vision-quests"-- it's got an ancient, shamanistic quality to it. These three, when singing alone, do sound a bit weak. But when they harmonize together, it creates this awesome semi-discordant chorus that is just way too cool and has way too much character to resist.

And that, my friends, is Mastodon. The whole is indeed greater than the sum of its parts. For $15, this DVD/CD live set is a steal. Check it out, especially if you don't know anything about Mastodon already.

Favorable
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:33:38 AM by Nick »

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: [Music] Mastodon- Live at Aragon
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 05:09:30 AM »
Awesome, I'll have to check it out. I love the cheap CD/DVD sets like Colors_LIVE and Thrice at the HOB. SO MUCH POWA SO MUCH VALUE
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 05:13:18 AM »
Also, what's the mix/production like? Watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo59fCISVFw is sounds pretty muddy. Is that just youtube being youtube?

Nevermind, listened to it on Spotify and it sounded way better  :metal
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 06:05:30 AM »
Good review.  I have this one but I haven't managed to watch it yet, I'll make sure I do ASAP.  IMO, CTS is their weakest album so I'm not overly excited with this release.  Hopefully the live set will win me over.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 12:04:30 AM »
His high-pitched quivering slurs genuinely sound like the voice of someone who's just woken up from of one-too-many mescaline-inspired "vision-quests"...
:rollin

Great review. I love this album, saw they play it live last year so this will be a pick up for me for sure.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 03:29:09 PM »
I'll definitely have to pick this up! I've loved Crack the Skye since my first listen, and owning it live would be awesome.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »
I think Mastodon just keeps on getting better with each new album they release. I havn't really ever listened to them play live so I will defitnely be picking this one up.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 07:14:58 PM »
This was an awesome album.

Good review, although, why did you just say "the bassist", "the drummer", and "the guitarist" rather than include their names?
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.