Author Topic: Owning a Goldfish to Become Illegal?  (Read 6621 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Owning a Goldfish to Become Illegal?
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 04:00:34 PM »
It's not a function of being bored or depressed.  It's more like a ceaseless state of stress and tension.  Think Bradley Manning after 4 pots of coffee, and consider that 24/7/365 until death.   
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 04:03:39 PM »
I agree.

Too many people keep them under incorrect, completely unacceptable conditions such as BOWLS. Thank God mine just died.

Although one of them was 6 which I am very sad about  :(
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2011, 04:17:26 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikNqk0M8n_8  That's about all I have to say about that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »
boskdaddy, my only question is...

how do you find this shite?

:lol
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2011, 09:12:52 PM »
I agree that goldfish are obviously not very smart animals and while they obviously shouldn't be treated with cruelty, they don't need an excessively large tank with amazing quality water. But this could then carry on to other kinds of fish, which do have special needs. Unlike goldfish, some fish require particular water conditions (ie. the Discus, which needs exceptional water quality and quite a low PH, as well as a well-planted tank). As was mentioned above, cichlids feel uncomfortable with a non-sand substrate.

And while goldfish are stupid animals, some fish are obviously quite smart. Oscars can be trained to hand-feed, and I've even seen instances where they were taught to swim through hoops and other obstacles in an experiment designed to test their intelligence. They can recognize their owners and quite often beg for food (my clown loaches often beg me for food when I walk into the room, but when my dad or sister walks through they usually become scared and swim away). If someone keeps 3 or 4 large, aggresive South American cichlids in a 4ft tank, should that not count as animal cruelty? They will be constantly fighting since their is nowhere near enough room to set up a territory, and the smaller/weaker one/s will eventually be killed.

Anyway, I guess the point is while this isn't a big deal for goldfish, there are a lot of other fish in the hobby which are not as stupid/easy to care for as the goldfish. Goldfish/guppies etc were probably targeted because they are largely impulse buys from unexperienced fishkeepers.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2011, 10:22:03 PM »
I understand the animal cruelty aspect and that how you take care of a goldfish may model how you would take care of a more advanced animal (IMO bigger, expensive fish, dogs, cats, babies, etc.).

But it's just a goldfish. If it dies, would someone (besides a child) really care that much?

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2011, 10:28:53 PM »
No, they wouldn't, but thats why the rule is a good one IMO - it discourages people from getting fish tanks in the first place, cause they can't buy cheap fish. The hobbyists will still be able to buy more expensive fish.

I still think Sigz idea on the front page is a good one.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 10:50:44 PM »
What's the point of having fish as a pet?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »
I think it's like an animated painting.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 10:55:01 PM »
What's the point of having fish as a pet?
For one thing, I don't consider them pets at all.  And what's the point of having a flower bed?  They're interesting to keep and maintain.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »
I find them more interesting than dogs and cats (I also have one of each of these, but my fish are my favourites :) ) I've always been interested in fish, reptiles and amphibians. Something about them, I dunno, I just enjoy watching them :)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2011, 11:32:12 AM »
Another nifty aspect is that you can put a dog, cat, hamster, iguana or any other pet pretty much anywhere and it'll be fine.  They really don't have any problematic environmental concerns.  Fish require a completely separate living environment.  You've got to maintain a self supporting microcosm.  I certainly don't consider a fish to be anywhere near as interesting as a dog or cat, but I find maintaining a 12^3 ft chunk of the Amazon River in my living room to be fascinating. 
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »
And while goldfish are stupid animals, some fish are obviously quite smart. Oscars can be trained to hand-feed

I trained my Oscar to be hand fed, he got to be about a foot and I would hold a goldfish just about the water and he would take it right from my hand.  Is that cruelty? Let's not forget a large amount of sold gold fish are used as feeder fish for cichlids and other aggressive fish.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2011, 01:04:21 AM »
Another nifty aspect is that you can put a dog, cat, hamster, iguana or any other pet pretty much anywhere and it'll be fine.  They really don't have any problematic environmental concerns.  Fish require a completely separate living environment.  You've got to maintain a self supporting microcosm.  I certainly don't consider a fish to be anywhere near as interesting as a dog or cat, but I find maintaining a 12^3 ft chunk of the Amazon River in my living room to be fascinating. 
This!

And in reply to cramx, Oscars eat other fish and animals in the wild. I'm not saying you should use live fish at every meal but using it occasionally is good for the Oscar. In the wild, especially when small, goldfish will get eaten by other fish, but they won't have to experience horrible water conditions like they are subject to in just little bowls.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2011, 08:19:27 AM »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2011, 08:23:49 AM »
Black Market Goldfish

Sounds like a cool name for an alternative band.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi