Author Topic: The "New York City 3/4/93" Show Appreciation Thread  (Read 8991 times)

Offline The Letter M

The "New York City 3/4/93" Show Appreciation Thread
« on: June 17, 2011, 02:01:52 AM »
So I've been listening to this live bootleg a LOT lately, and I have to say, it's one of the best official bootlegs by DT ever, and perhaps one of my favorite live shows by any prog band! It definitely ranks above some of DT's officially released live albums!

What I love most is that you get 11 out of 12 of the songs written during the IAW era (sadly enough, "Don't Look Past Me" was never done live), as well as 3 of the best tracks from WDADU!

The sound is amazing, and even though some of the performances were a bit shaky, it's an over-all great show and each member shows off like there was no next-show! Lots of energy and being a "home town" show, I'm sure they were well aware of how important such a show was to them and their fans! I'm also glad they got the audio to sound so damn good!

Anyways, this is for everyone to post their appreciation of this great show! If you don't have it, seek it out immediately! It is two hours of music that won't leave you high and dry, but actually whetting your appetite for more!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The "New York City 3/4/93" Show Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 02:05:04 AM »
Was listening to this well before it was ever officially released and always did love this show. Portnoy was smart to choose this as the one to end up representing that tour.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 03:21:29 AM »
Yeah it's a great show, haven't given it a spin for a while though actually - might have a listen again now.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:07:51 AM »
love it
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:15:01 AM »
Yeah, I love that show as well, and it is quite played in my car.  :lol

The original version of ACOS succeed in bringing an already awesome show to a much higher level of awesomeness. That song should really have been played more often on that tour...

Nick, if I am correct this show was featured in "The Dance Of Eternity" and some other bootlegs, right?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 04:50:32 AM »
Yes some of the 3/4/93 tracks appear on a two discuss bootleg called Dance of Eternity, not to get confused with the one disc bootleg of 5/18/93 also called Dance of Eternity (live in Buffalo).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 05:11:07 AM »
I don't have the Official Bootleg, but I've had this one for years.  Simply fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 05:16:33 AM »
I have barely listened to this bootleg, I must give it a spin this weekend.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
I have the official bootleg and I love this concert. So good. :hefdaddy
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 09:11:29 AM »
I actually prefer the screaming of "The Killing Hand" in this Official Bootleg than in the Live at the Marquee one.

As mentioned above, some songs are shaky like "Another Day". Vocally, 'Home Sweet Home' bootleg is the best live interpretation of that song.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 04:41:51 PM »
I actually prefer the screaming of "The Killing Hand" in this Official Bootleg than in the Live at the Marquee one.

As mentioned above, some songs are shaky like "Another Day". Vocally, 'Home Sweet Home' bootleg is the best live interpretation of that song.

Well, actually "Home Sweet Home" has the best live interpretation (vocally speaking) of every song that was played that night.  :biggrin: Have you ever watched the LtL F# from that bootleg on youtube? It's just... :hefdaddy
- Marco

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 05:46:35 PM »
Yeah, I love that show as well, and it is quite played in my car.  :lol

The original version of ACOS succeed in bringing an already awesome show to a much higher level of awesomeness. That song should really have been played more often on that tour...

Nick, if I am correct this show was featured in "The Dance Of Eternity" and some other bootlegs, right?

Yeah, that was the most common version of the show floating around.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 08:20:05 PM »

Well, actually "Home Sweet Home" has the best live interpretation (vocally speaking) of every song that was played that night.  :biggrin: Have you ever watched the LtL F# from that bootleg on youtube? It's just... :hefdaddy
Well, he definitely had the

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »
Just listening to this show again here at work and I'm amazed at it once more. I love the way that "Eve" (complete with samples) slowly fades out as "Pull Me Under" begins! And I LOVE JLB's screaming in it! Good stuff :metal

Also - WFS/LTL as the encore is ALWAYS wonderful, and this is a great performance of it from that tour, and I think, the only released performance of these two songs together from that tour...but I might be wrong.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »
You aren't :)

Even though WFS is present on LiT, we have no official testimony of the countless times it was played back to back with Learning To Live.
- Marco

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 03:06:45 PM »
It features the best version of Eve, so that alone makes it worth a buy. Great show, one of the best that I've ever heard.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »
It features the best version of Eve, so that alone makes it worth a buy. Great show, one of the best that I've ever heard.

Yes, it's by far the best show they had had at the time, and likely kept the position until the second Japanese leg during which LiT was filmed. To find another DT show that special, though, I think we would need to go forward in time until the Rotterdam club show in June 1998.
- Marco

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
Sorry to sidetrack this discussion, I've never bought/listened to any of the 'official' ytsejam stuff ... what's worth getting other than the one mentioned here?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »
That's perhaps the best official bootleg for live shows, perhaps because it has pre-accident LaBrie. I love it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »
Sorry to sidetrack this discussion, I've never bought/listened to any of the 'official' ytsejam stuff ... what's worth getting other than the one mentioned here?

A thousand times, YES. This show, and the Old Bridge show are totally worth buying. The Old Bridge show features some '96 versions of FII songs, including "Burning My Soul", "Just Let Me Breathe" (which didn't change TOO much), "Lines In The Sand", and the amazing "Take Away My Pain" (best version of it ever), as well as some other great songs/performances.

-Marc.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 03:31:34 PM »
Get all the studio/live albums first. Then I'd recommend the Falling Into Infinity Demos, When Dream and Day Reunite, and this New York 1993 show.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 03:32:42 PM »
Get all the studio/live albums first. Then I'd recommend the Falling Into Infinity Demos, When Dream and Day Reunite, and this New York 1993 show.

That's too much stuff. LOL.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 03:33:55 PM »
Time to fire this one up someday, have never heard it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ħ

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 03:34:10 PM »

I mean, they're not really essentially DT listening. All the studio albums are going to be much more worthwhile purchases.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 03:35:32 PM »

It's never enough!!!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.853670909871.2197344.38000227&type=1&l=cf1e0a0bf1

:neverusethis:

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »

I mean, they're not really essentially DT listening. All the studio albums are going to be much more worthwhile purchases.

"STUDIO SERIES" only consists of SFAM and FII.  I already have all the 'real' studio albums, I was asking more about stuff from the YtseJam catalog.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 03:37:18 PM »

This is a very good question. Here's my two cents:

• IAW DEMOS: To Get. Instrumental demo versions of the songs + songs left out sung by other autitionees (the JLB sung ones can be found elsewhere). Original version (longer) of PMU
  • WDADRU: Absolutely To Get. The first album performed by the classic lineup, with many changes and improvements. Two encore songs (TLF and Metrpolis) with Charlie Dominici (both) and Derek Sherinian (Met)
  • FII DEMOS: Must have. The album as it was first conceived to be. A 2CD release (like the IAW Demos) featuring songs that were later cut into pieces (Burning My Soul), left out or put on the shelves (Metropolis part II). A shining gem.
  • Tokyo 95: To Get. An extremel strong 95 live performance, featuring many major songs like ACOS, LTL, Perfect Strangers, PMU, Surrounded. A stunning performance from James
  • Bucharest: Absolutely to have. A great pro recording (DVD) of one of the best shows in 2002. You get Learning To Live, SDOIT, Lines In The Sand with a new chorus and an improved solo, Another Hand / The Killing Hand, and it features a second DVD with many great bonus features. A landmark.

These are the major ones for me.
- Marco

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 03:37:43 PM »

It's never enough!!!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.853670909871.2197344.38000227&type=1&l=cf1e0a0bf1

-Marc.

ROOKIE. Where's your LSFNY with the original cover?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »

It's never enough!!!

-Marc.

ROOKIE. Where's your LSFNY with the original cover?

I don't collect variants, although I'm sure I could find one if I tried :laugh: :P

Besides, it was hard/expensive enough getting all the DTIFC's and singles. I also have a few other singles/selections-from CDs.

-Marc.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »
That's impressive, okay? Here's mine:

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »

I don't collect variants, although I'm sure I could find one if I tried :laugh: :P

Besides, it was hard/expensive enough getting all the DTIFC's and singles. I also have a few other singles/selections-from CDs.

-Marc.

You sure as heck collect variants. Your LSFNY IS the variant!

:lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 03:44:51 PM »

-Marc.

:rollin TRUE! Yes, but it's not the rarer release, and I think of the more common covers as the regular edition, despite being the replacement/2nd-release. But that's about it... well, I do own 2 copies of ADTOE and BC&SL, mostly because I wanted to keep the Box Set versions together, and still have another single-CD set to keep with my other CDs, but that's more along the lines of duplicates, not variants.

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »

-Marc.

:rollin TRUE! Yes, but it's not the rarer release, and I think of the more common covers as the regular edition, despite being the replacement/2nd-release. But that's about it... well, I do own 2 copies of ADTOE and BC&SL, mostly because I wanted to keep the Box Set versions together, and still have another single-CD set to keep with my other CDs, but that's more along the lines of duplicates, not variants.

-Marc.

I think I have both the LSFNY variants, though all my CD's are boxed away since we had a kid and didn't want her to pull the cd rack down or yank the CD's out so I imagine they're all in a box somewhere in one of the closets.  Every now and then I think to myself "do I really have that?" and then get too lazy to unbox the CD's to find out.. sigh.  Though I also need to pilfer through the boxes for a signed CD artwork from another band that I know I have and want to frame... blah.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 03:51:15 PM »
Are any of the cover series worth a darn?
 :metal

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 03:58:22 PM »
Are any of the cover series worth a darn?
 :metal

I'd say The Dark Side Of The Moon, mostly because it's got the bonus disc A Saucerful of Floyd, which covers their various Pink Floyd covers over the years!

The compilation Uncovered 2003-2005 is pretty good too! Great selection of songs!

The others are good if you're into those bands' original songs. I'm not much into Iron Maiden or Metallica, but they're good albums nonetheless. The Deep Purple one is pretty good, too.

-Marc.