Author Topic: The Kate Bush thread  (Read 2882 times)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
The Kate Bush thread
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:18:36 PM »
Maybe it's a problem with the search function or something, but somehow I couldn't seem to locate a thread for one of the greatest artists ever.  Kate Bush has made some of the most innovative and well written music for her time and style.  Hounds of Love is one of my very favorite albums ever, and few other albums from her win similar favor as well.  Her music can be brilliantly catchy, unique and quirky, or/and ethereally lovely.  I can't get enough of it.  Any other fans in the house? 

IF I ONLY COULD
I'D MAKE A DEAL WITH GOD
AND I'D GET HIM TO SWAP OUR PLACES

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Kate Bush thread
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:19:54 PM »
Actually the problem is making threads on Kate Bush is a banable offense, so no one has ever made one... until now.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:21:22 PM »
LOVE HER  :heart I've only listened to The Dreaming and Hounds of Love so far, but they're both astounding albums. I can't wait to dig deeper into the rest of her discography.

I've heard about her for awhile, but I never bothered to listen to her. I'm really glad I took the initiative, though. People looking for some great music way ahead of its time owe it to themselves to give her a chance.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 11:27:51 PM »
Any relation to George?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 03:24:32 AM »
I have Aerial on my computer.
No idea if it's a good starting point or not, but it's the only one I have, though I haven't heard it yet.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 03:26:04 AM »
I have Aerial on my computer.
No idea if it's a good starting point or not, but it's the only one I have, though I haven't heard it yet.

Hounds of Love!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 03:41:06 AM »
The second disc of Aerial is simply one of the best CDs I own.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 04:14:39 AM »
 :heart Aerial - A Sea of Honey, The Dreaming, Hounds of Love and The Sensual world are amazing albums.  Really need to get more!  Also Peter Gabriel and her and perfect musical fit! Love them together.  :)  I did have The Kick Inside but I think my sister nicked it  :sadpanda:

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 06:34:43 AM »
My wife, a very big Kate Bush fan, was very disappointed with her new CD - The Director's Cut. She said there was no improvement at all on the songs Bush decided to re-record...

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 03:17:12 PM »
Only know her from the song "Wuthering Heights" which was then covered by Angra.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 12:53:48 PM »
I'm finishing up my 2nd listen of Aerial. This album is devastatingly amazing, especially considering how late it was in her career when it was released.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 03:04:28 PM »
Within Temptation's cover of Running Up That Hill is great. Beyond that, I KNO NUTTING!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »
My wife, a very big Kate Bush fan, was very disappointed with her new CD - The Director's Cut. She said there was no improvement at all on the songs Bush decided to re-record...

Have yet to pick this up? Are you disappointed enough in it that you'd want to throw it back?(Assuming of course you mean the physical manifestation of the music and not a download)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 08:34:33 PM »

I definitely agree with your wife here, Director's Cut wasn't a real stunner, and if I want to listen to the songs from it I'll generally gravitate towards the originals from The Sensual World and The Red Shoes.  The one redeeming quality is that I actually really like the version of This Woman's Work.  I'm not sure if I'd be willing to call it an improvement on the original, but it's a very nice version.  Deeper Understanding, however, (one of my favorites) was absolutely horrid.  A shame about that one, it could have turned out so well. 

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »
So, in case anyone hasn't been paying attention, Kate recently announced that she is going to have a motherfucking new album in November.  This motherfucker drops on the 21st, and it is going to be about snow.  It is 65 minutes and 7 songs, so there are obviously some long tracks in here.  Excited excited excited excited excited excited excited excited excited excited excited excited excited excited excited!

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 06:01:57 PM »
SHE SIGNED THE LETTER AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLL YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUURSS

BAAABOOOOOSHKA BAAABOOOOOOOOSHKAAA BAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOSHKAAAAAAAAAAA YAH YAH
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 10:25:05 PM »
I'm stoked for the new album. If Aerial proved anything, it's that she still has plenty of potential to make great music even this late into her career.

7 songs and 66 minutes is very daring, but if anyone can pull it off, it's Kate Bush.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 04:25:18 AM »
Kate Bush has been on my list for years, but I've never looked further. Just looked at some of her albums on wikipedia and... well, she seems an interesting artist.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 02:18:40 PM »
Fuckin' new album is out.   

It's awesome.  As in, expectations exceeded.  I have a feeling that I will need to wait until it is more wintery outside to feel the full effect of this album, but right now I'm already pretty wild about it.  This has to be the best first impression I've had of one of her records since Hounds of Love.  Aerial was great, but it suffered from inconsistency where this one doesn't.  Ghis might all be early judgement, but this album is really hitting the spot right now.  Hooray Kate! 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 02:35:06 AM »
 Yeah, that got a 5 star (out of 5) review over here... amazing!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 02:44:50 AM »
I have the new album (will also buy it as soon as I get to the store), I haven't listened yet though.
Will do soon, but maybe wait a bit for some snow outside.  :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 06:08:30 PM »
MAJOR BUMP...

But I just heard the first track from 50 Words for Snow for the first time, and wow....just freakin wow...

I love music.

This stuff is just the *DEFINITION* of "haunting"....    Her vocals are a bit odd in places, but I'm not really that familiar with her work (in spite of the fact that I'm an old fart).   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 08:32:12 PM »
I can't believe Director's Cut and 50 Words For Snow are almost two years old now.  :| I promised myself I would buy those both. Two years later, here I am! Never checked either out.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 07:02:28 PM »
I can't believe Director's Cut and 50 Words For Snow are almost two years old now.  :| I promised myself I would buy those both. Two years later, here I am! Never checked either out.

I picked up Director's Cut (Really glad I did actually)  Still haven't picked up 50 Words for Snow despite my intention to do so. I'm sure it's on par with the rest of her work.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 05:21:09 AM »
Saw a fantastic tribute concert to Kate Bush this spring.... now you can all see it online.

Gothenburg Symphonic Orchestra
Choir
Band
Jennie Abrahamsson and Malin Dahlström

https://www.gso.se/gsoplay/klipp/hyllning-kate-bush/

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »
Saw a fantastic tribute concert to Kate Bush this spring.... now you can all see it online.

Gothenburg Symphonic Orchestra
Choir
Band
Jennie Abrahamsson and Malin Dahlström

https://www.gso.se/gsoplay/klipp/hyllning-kate-bush/

Interesting. Will have to check this out. Thanks.