Author Topic: The President needing to be a natural American citizen.  (Read 3412 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
The President needing to be a natural American citizen.
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:41:41 PM »
What's up with this? If I remember correctly, the reason this was originally instituted was because no one wanted a foreigner getting elected and leading America in the direction of his country's political gain. Doesn't this seem a bit outdated? I mean, think of how many people came here before they could say the word "America" and that in it of itself makes them inelligible for a presidency. I'd reform the law by ousting the natural born citizen clause and just make it that you need to be living here for 25 years or something, I think it's 15 now. Anybody agree?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: The President needing to be a natural American citizen.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:07:04 PM »
Not exactly a top priority on lists of things that need to be changed related to electing officials.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:08:18 PM »
Not exactly a top priority on lists of things that need to be changed related to electing officials.

This

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:13:51 PM »
You heard 'em, now let's pack up this thread until the other problems are fixed

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 10:37:01 PM »
I disagree. I think, of all people, the President needs to have been raised here and had the "American experience" per say. Maybe if he/she wasn't necessarily born here he/she should have been here from a young age.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 10:42:31 PM »
If a country of 300 million can not find somebody to lead them, might as well call it quits. So no, I don't think it needs to be changed, because other than Arnie I've never even heard of anybody being seriously considered who was not natural born.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:49:52 PM »
I disagree. I think, of all people, the President needs to have been raised here and had the "American experience" per say. Maybe if he/she wasn't necessarily born here he/she should have been here from a young age.

Wouldn't an "American experience" be coming to this country as an immigrant, and working your way up?

I think if the people of this country actually elect someone who wasn't born in this country, it should be up to the people of this country. It made some sense right after the revolution, when our ties to Britain were still so strong that conceivably we could've elected a British president... who may not have had the interest of the country in mind. As rumborak points out, it's not going to be easy to do, and all you have to do is look at the reaction over the false idea that Obama isn't a US citizen, and the complaints raised about his upbringing, to see what an uphill battle any foreigner would really have.

Though, Arnold probably couldve won. He's a movie star, meaning at least half of America is in love with him.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 11:11:40 PM »

Wouldn't an "American experience" be coming to this country as an immigrant, and working your way up?

I think if the people of this country actually elect someone who wasn't born in this country, it should be up to the people of this country. It made some sense right after the revolution, when our ties to Britain were still so strong that conceivably we could've elected a British president... who may not have had the interest of the country in mind. As rumborak points out, it's not going to be easy to do, and all you have to do is look at the reaction over the false idea that Obama isn't a US citizen, and the complaints raised about his upbringing, to see what an uphill battle any foreigner would really have.

exactly.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:33:47 AM »

Though, Arnold probably couldve won. He's a movie star, meaning at least half of America is in love with him.

I understand your point, but I still think being a native to your country gives you an obviously different perspective than being an immigrant. I mean, wouldn't it just be damn weird if Nicolas Sarkozy moved to the US and ran for President? I still think the threat of foreign interests and influence is very much there today.

Though that's not to say that I think an immigrant President would fuck things up much differently than native ones have been doing. So I dunno. I don't really trust that the populace would elect anybody decent anyway, regardless of whether or not they were born here.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 03:03:10 AM »

I understand your point, but I still think being a native to your country gives you an obviously different perspective than being an immigrant. I mean, wouldn't it just be damn weird if Nicolas Sarkozy moved to the US and ran for President? I still think the threat of foreign interests and influence is very much there today.

Though that's not to say that I think an immigrant President would fuck things up much differently than native ones have been doing. So I dunno. I don't really trust that the populace would elect anybody decent anyway, regardless of whether or not they were born here.

Do you honestly think Sarkozy would stand a chance in America? A frenchmen? He'd automatically lose like 60% of the vote, simply because he's European, and another 20% because he's a pussy frenchman. He wouldn't make it past the primaries.

As for foreign influence, we allow them to spend their money on our elections right now. That is more of a threat to our political system then allowing the people of this country to vote for whom they want.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 05:39:57 AM »
Maybe Bill Pullman could make a dramatic speech and hand the presidency over to an alien. That would be kind of cool.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TL

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 12:25:28 PM »
Come on, without the 'natural born' requirement and the 2nd amendment, the King of England could just waltz across the Atlantic and take over America!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 12:27:06 PM »
Come on, without the 'natural born' requirement and the 2nd amendment, the King of England could just waltz across the Atlantic and take over America!

:lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
I'd vote for him.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 01:19:42 PM »
I'd vote for him.
Ya know, I think I would too.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »
I'd vote for him.

I don't think you're being 100% serious, but aren't you basically being the case in point for why the natural-born citizen clause is in the constitution?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TL

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »
The natural born clause is in there because they wanted to make sure that the British didn't come over and try to take back the country. These days, there's no reason to still have the 'natural born' clause.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 02:51:34 PM »
I dont really see the need for it. If the people vote him in, its obviously not that big an issue.who knows,  it might be a good thing.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »
I disagree. I think, of all people, the President needs to have been raised here and had the "American experience" per say. Maybe if he/she wasn't necessarily born here he/she should have been here from a very young age.

I agree with this.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »
Question - Is the U.S. the only country with this kind of law?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 03:44:46 PM »
In Canada, you have to be a citizen, and 18.  That's it.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Can't answer that, but I can tell you that in Germany the federal president (who is officially higher than the chancellor) must be older than 40. Same weird rule.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 08:33:34 AM »
Age is common, in the US it's 35 and in Europe it's often older.

Not even close as far as I know.  We make a big deal out of countries that don't require it, but natural born citizen is definitely a requirement in other places.  Mexico includes it, and has some extra rules to prevent coups, too.   I think a lot of Latin American countries include it.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 08:41:37 AM »
Age is common, in the US it's 35 and in Europe it's often older.

Not even close as far as I know.  We make a big deal out of countries that don't require it, but natural born citizen is definitely a requirement in other places.  Mexico includes it, and has some extra rules to prevent coups, too.   I think a lot of Latin American countries include it.

Makes sense considering America beat their governmental systems into them in the early 1900s.

Walk softly but carry a big stick.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »
It might be the US heavy hand.  On the other hand, I would think the US would have wanted US born to be able to be 'elected' in these countries. :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 09:21:33 AM »
I'd vote for him.

In all seriousness, I used to laugh about Andy being hung up on the Commonwealth but I thought about it a lot, and I think we'd all have been much better off if the revolutionary war were avoided.  :millahhhh

Offline TL

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 09:22:18 AM »
In Canada, you have to be a citizen, and 18.  That's it.
Not to mention, our last two heads of state were born in Hong Kong and Haiti, respectively.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 09:26:32 AM »
Natural born citizen doesn't necessarily preclude birth outside of country, though.  McCain was born in Panama.  Were he elected he most likely never would have been blocked, which either implies the law becomes dead or natural born citizen includes everyone born as a citizen.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 09:50:50 AM »
Well McCain's parents were American citizens, so he is by definition a natural born citizen even if he was born outside of the US.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 10:05:13 AM »
The main point was that US presidents can be born outside the US, so Canadian leaders merely being born outside Canada isn't really that odd relative to US law.  That was long held as the assumption as I knew it, even though it was never tested until McCain ran.

The comment about McCain is a little outdated, it appears.  Congress passed a resolution stating he was eligible.  That measure firmly placed two citizen parents as enough, but I had thought that had been only a token gesture and not binding.  Guess I was wrong.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 10:07:27 AM »
Even one citizen parent is enough.  And I'm pretty sure that measure you were just talking about was already in place.  I have a friend who was born in England, but she's a US citizen because her parents are citizens.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 10:13:19 AM »
One parent is enough for citizenship in most, maybe all, cases, definitely.  Natural born citizen is a different issue since it lacks a clear legal definition.  Not all citizens at birth are necessarily natural born citizens, unless that's been corrected in the last couple of years, too.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 10:16:20 AM »
The main point was that US presidents can be born outside the US, so Canadian leaders merely being born outside Canada isn't really that odd relative to US law.  That was long held as the assumption as I knew it, even though it was never tested until McCain ran.

Yes, but neither Clarkson or Jean were born Canadian citizens.  They both came to the country as refugees.

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »
Yes, that's a major difference, but you only pointed out being born elsewhere, which isn't. ...at least almost certainly isn't.