Author Topic: I want to get a good pair of headphones.  (Read 811 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
I want to get a good pair of headphones.
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:42:35 PM »
I listen to music on headphones like 5 hours a day, or even more than that. My last pair of headphones broke, so now I need to get a new pair. I willing to spend about $100 on them. I'm not looking for DAT BASS but I am looking for awesome dynamics that will make music I love sound like how it was meant to be heard.

In other words, it's late, and I'm laying in my bed listening to Insurgentes with the lights out. What pair of $100 headphones are on my ears?

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: I want to get a good pair of headphones.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:51:35 PM »
faemir is the one to ask on this topic. I'll let him answer.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:59:23 PM »
I've had a pair of Shure SRH-240s and they don't focus on "dat bass", they do lack a fat low end, but these make any bass guitar so clear sounding in any sort of music anyway. Since the mid range and higher is more important in all music, these headphones have that boosted warmth and the clarity in the high range is superb. I haven't heard anything like these whilst keeping the budget just under $100. They're closed backed considering closed back is always > open air (at least if you're a serious fan of music).

But anyway, that's just something for you to think about. Don't get a pair of headphones that have an enormous low end that it makes any sort of music sound like the mids are scooped out. The Shures have a very even EQ spectrum.

For a budget of $100, you gotta look around the place a lot. Test lots of types of cans and in the end it's all about what feels good on your head and what your favourite kinds of music sounds like through them.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:36:58 PM »
Don't know if this will help much but I've seen it posted on here before.

Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:06:03 PM »
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280's, and they sound great. The msrvp is $99 I believe, but I snagged mine off of ebay for only 60.

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:13:01 AM »
I have a pair of steelseries. They're actually quite cheap for the sound quality that's come out of them. I got mine for $50 and I've worn them while working on my animated film at school. During this time I had them on for 12-18 hours a day and I never got any earaches or headaches. They are comfortable and great!

@_@ Best part is, they fit my head! I have a small head so most other headphones sit way too low on my ears, but this one is like 100% adjustable.

They are amazing and I really honestly wouldn't buy anything else. You can get them on their website or sometimes you can find them at best buy/ canada computers/ etc.

And I personally think they have better sound quality than some of the 'phones my friends had at school who dished out $150 for theirs..

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 12:27:22 AM »
Check out this german company called Ultrasone. They make amazing headphones and have a proprietary technology called SLogic which is awesome.

https://www.ultrasone.com/

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 01:45:39 AM »
Grado SR-80i

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 04:49:25 AM »
Im also a big 5 hour a day at work guy.

JVC HA-G55 for me.
just big ol ear coverers.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.