Author Topic: Nook vs. Kindle?  (Read 2661 times)

Offline cfmoran13

Nook vs. Kindle?
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:06:41 AM »
So, my wife is interested in getting a Nook or Kindle.  And, I am the one doing the research.  Aside from reading up on them, I figured I'd go to the boards that I frequent to see if anyone has one and why they chose it over the other.  Any input would be a big help.  Thanks!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nook vs. Kindle?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 07:11:20 AM »
I picked the Kindle because you can't get the Nook in the UK :neverusethis:

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:11:35 AM »
When I was shopping for an ereader I went with an iPad, but the step down for me was the Nook.

The big selling point for the nook to me was that it had better pdf support.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:16:34 AM »
The Kindle can only read books in it's own proprietary format. I forget the extension.

The Nook, Pandigital, and all the rest read everything

.epub (is the industry standard)
.pdf
.lit

etc etc.
So....while I've heard the Kindle is a slightly slicker product.....why limit yourself. OR. Get an iPad. Mine reads fine in the sun, or inside, or whatever...no issues....and it does a couple other things too.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:21:01 AM »
I'm glad this subject is being talked about.  I'll been thinking of picking up one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:26:09 AM »
The Kindle can only read books in it's own proprietary format. I forget the extension.
Now, this is just flat out wrong. The Kindle can read AZW, TPZ, PRC, MOBI, TXT, PDF, MP3, AA, AAX.

It sucks that it can't read ePUB but it's pretty easy to convert the files.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 07:46:09 AM »
Now, this is just flat out wrong. The Kindle can read AZW, TPZ, PRC, MOBI, TXT, PDF, MP3, AA, AAX.

Yeah, calibre (https://calibre-ebook.com) is free and converts basically anything to everything ebook-wise.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 07:59:10 AM »
Fine well not reading epub is what I meant then....as the average non-techy person will never hear of those others. Nor will a non techy person be interested in conversion programs.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 08:14:30 AM »
Because no one has ever heard of .txt files :lol

Also Calibre is insanely simple to use.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 08:15:08 AM »
I own a Kindle 3 WiFi/3G.

I do wish there was more manual options for sorting files, but it's not bad.  It's annoying that you have to hack the thing to put your own files into the screen saver.  Don't know what other devices are like, but I dislike how the Kindle overprotects users from themselves.  I prefer detailed, functional options, something the Kindle lacks.

Tactile keyboard is one of the reasons I got the Kindle, and I hope the next time I get an eReader I can still get one with that.  I also found the Kindle 3 appealing to the eyes, whereas the e-ink Nook is sort of ugly.  LCD was a deal breaker for me, I'm not getting a device that makes reading harder on my eyes.  The 3G connection is a great addition, so getting any e-reader in the future I would want that again.  I don't know which Nooks have that option.

As for the ePub format I've never needed it, but AcidRainLTE is correct.

I love the Kindle, the one significant knock is in the software not allowing more personalization.  In general that doesn't matter much, but it is disappointing, particularly when you first get it.  My understanding is they're ok with you removing the locks, but you lose the ability to receive automatic software updates.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 08:25:28 AM »
I love my Nook, it's great. And the cool thing is that, once you know that Barnes and Noble sets the password of the ePub to your full name plus your credit card number, you can upload the files to any other reader (I have an Entourage Pocket Edge also).

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »
I have a kindle and it's great. Never tried the Nook so can't really compare.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »
Between the two I'd go with the nook because itncan display multiple formats. I'd take and iPad though.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 09:05:43 AM »
Whats all this crying about the Kindle not being able to handle multiple formats?

Also, a iPad is a totally different device. Reading from LCD screens isn't really comparable.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 09:11:33 AM »
Well, the Nook's I see getting pushed the most are LCD screens.  I didn't even realize they had an e-ink version when I was first looking around.

I love my Nook, it's great. And the cool thing is that, once you know that Barnes and Noble sets the password of the ePub to your full name plus your credit card number, you can upload the files to any other reader (I have an Entourage Pocket Edge also).

rumborak

Sounds more robust than the Kindle variation of that.  With Kindle I think you have to get a Kindle application to the device you want to read on, then that ties to your account.  Works great when they offer it, it has proven handy on my Blackberry quite a few times.  You rely on someone providing the software for it, though, which is limiting.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 09:59:50 AM »
I think you can get a kindle app on things like phones and tie that to your account on amazon.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »
You can.

Also, I agree about reading from an LCD screen. It's pretty horrible.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 05:34:36 PM »
I don't even understand the point of the Nook Color. Why not get an Android tablet instead?

rumborak

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 08:17:24 PM »
Who knows. Anyway, I just bought the new Nook (with the e-Ink touchscreen). Thing is excellent.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 09:01:09 PM »
I think you can get a kindle app on things like phones and tie that to your account on amazon.
Isn't that exactly what I had just described in the previous post?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 10:59:05 PM »
The question becomes...does she want an e-reader, or a mobile device that does a ton of other things, but has an e-reader function on it? If she wants an e-reader, go with the Kindle. She'll be glad she did.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 11:07:51 PM »
or, this.

Offline Metrovarium

• Lord Tarp
  • SPAAAAAACE
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 11:29:36 PM »
I've been looking at purchasing an e-book reader recently. From what I've found, the Nook has easier navigation due to the touchscreen, but the Kindle has slightly less expensive books, as the Amazon store tends to sell e-books at prices a couple of bucks less than Barnes and Noble. I've pretty much decided that I'm purchasing the Nook, though, because the books aren't too much more expensive and the library lending feature can supply me with however many books I need, anyway.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 06:12:12 AM »
Isn't that exactly what I had just described in the previous post?
Think I missed your post. My bad.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 08:44:30 AM »
I got my Nook a couple years ago...frikken LOVE it!  I think I went with it because at the time, the ebooks looked a lil cheaper than amazons (Kindle)  Mostly hardbacks I was looking at.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 03:19:35 PM »
The Nook is WiFi only, though, right?  No 3G?  

Also, if you're reading books only, no magazines, etc., is there really a need for the Color version of the Nook?

And, thanks for the input, everyone!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 03:57:58 PM »
The original Nook had 3G, but they stopped supporting it with the sequel devices because it was IMHO useless. How many times do you find yourself saying "OMG, I need to download this book now!!"? I find myself browsing through books when I'm at home, where there's Wifi.

rumborak

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 10:20:04 PM »
Actually, I find the 3G connection on my Kindle extremely useful.  My wifi isn't always on, I've bought books at coffee shops, I've bought books traveling... it isn't necessary if I bought ahead, but with 3G I don't have to bother and I'm free to make last minute decisions.

@cfmoran13: The eink is the technology you want if the purpose is primarily books or primarily text reading material.  Eink is literally ink, it doesn't have refresh rates and is as easy on your eyes as a standard paper book.  Colour readers were, and would be in the future, automatic reject machines for me, so long as they stay LCD only.  Funny how the eink is what made readers so appealing in the beginning, now we see so many pushing "superior" devices that forsake eink.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 11:11:56 PM »
Same here. I have no interest in reading from an LCD screen.

rumborak

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 04:08:38 PM »
Thanks for that tip, yorost!  I knew the eink was the way to go.  However, I hadn't thought about that with the color one. 

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 04:59:21 PM »
The sad news is that this year there won't be an update on the pearl screen. And this, for me is really a drag. I bought my Sony exactly one year ago. It is excellent, but the moment I had it in my hands Kindle announced their new (actual) one with better (pearl) screen. Sony released their 350-650-950 a couple of months later with the same enhancements as Kindle. Such is life.

I'll probably wait and see what Kindle announces this summer and make a decision afterwards.