Author Topic: Steven Wilson  (Read 315917 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Steven Wilson
« Reply #3185 on: October 05, 2014, 01:51:57 PM »
No we don't but his solo career is to die for.  There is a box set out that I have and then 3 albums after that that I own.  Fantastic, well thought out music with so many influences from around the world.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Xenon

« Reply #3186 on: October 05, 2014, 04:42:07 PM »
I'm feeling some lightbulb sun vibes in this, now that i've listened it again.

BTW THAT BIT OF MUSIC AT THE END  :eek
Anyone recognizes the singer?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 04:49:41 PM by Xenon »

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #3187 on: October 05, 2014, 06:47:59 PM »
I'm torn between "yoga pants :drool:" and "somebody feed her so her thighs aren't so far apart  :|"

definitely the latter.

thigh gaps ew

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3188 on: October 05, 2014, 06:57:40 PM »
Yeah, I agree but my saying it just gets labeled as catty :p

Anyway, I am so pumped for this! Just a few more months. Can't wait til he announces a tour. I'm secretly hoping he doesn't come back to Colorado so I have a travel excuse.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3189 on: October 05, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »
Seriously. I have to say seeing him on that last tour completely beat out any other musical adventure I went on last year. Best show ever.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #3190 on: October 06, 2014, 02:27:01 AM »
Wow, those snippets in that video sound really amazing. They really sound quite different from SW's other solo albums, but I really love it. Can't wait for this album!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3191 on: October 06, 2014, 03:21:30 AM »
The last snippet is again pure Wilson genius. Lovin' it.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3192 on: October 06, 2014, 05:29:58 AM »
One thing's for sure, I will NOT miss them out on this tour.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3193 on: October 06, 2014, 07:27:17 AM »
This.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3194 on: October 06, 2014, 09:02:09 AM »
This.
Definitely this. I wasn't a huge fan on him when they played by here last time, so I won't miss this :metal .

Offline Xenon

« Reply #3195 on: October 06, 2014, 09:57:36 AM »
This.
Definitely this. I wasn't a huge fan on him when they played by here last time, so I won't miss this :metal .
I was and missed them two times  :'(

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #3196 on: October 06, 2014, 12:05:26 PM »
I've seen him on both the GFD and TRTRTS tours and met him before or after the show both times. It is almost borderline mandatory that I see him live on the next tour.  :metal

Offline pfillion

« Reply #3197 on: October 07, 2014, 03:18:39 PM »
I think that Anneke Van Giersbergen is singing on the last song of the trailer.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3198 on: October 07, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
I think that Anneke Van Giersbergen is singing on the last song of the trailer.

I don't think so. I mean, if that were true it'd be really cool, but I don't think that's her.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3199 on: October 07, 2014, 04:11:45 PM »

Does SW tour the US?  Atlanta, GA would probably be my best hope if they tour the US.  Worth the 200 mile trip.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #3200 on: October 07, 2014, 05:20:09 PM »

Does SW tour the US?  Atlanta, GA would probably be my best hope if they tour the US.  Worth the 200 mile trip.

Yes he does. On the last tour he played in Atlanta, GA and Tampa, FL which were the only shows he had in the southeast.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3201 on: October 07, 2014, 05:55:15 PM »

Yes he does. On the last tour he played in Atlanta, GA and Tampa, FL which were the only shows he had in the southeast.
Just because I was there, it was St. Petersburg, FL actually :P

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #3202 on: October 07, 2014, 06:05:31 PM »

Just because I was there, it was St. Petersburg, FL actually :P

Really? The tour date archive on his website stated otherwise :P

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3203 on: October 07, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »
Yeah it's definitely supposed to be St. Pete, the State Theater's in St. Pete. Was a pretty rad concert.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #3204 on: October 07, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
At first it kinda reminded me of anneke, but the end it didn't sound like her.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3205 on: October 25, 2014, 05:48:12 AM »
Has anyone else listened to Sunsets on Empire by Fish? SW produced that record and wrote most of the music. You can hear his stamp all over the album - I recommend it even if you haven't listened to old Marillion or Fish's other solo releases.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #3206 on: October 30, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »
From Steven Wilson Facebook:

Myself and my friend Mariusz Duda - Official from Lunatic Soul - official / Riverside have teamed up to record a song together, and for a very special reason.

Alec Wildey was a young fan who for several years had been passionate about our music, actively helping out with promotion as a leading member of the Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson street teams from the tender age of 17, and setting up a street team for Mariusz in 2010. Some of you will almost certainly have met Alec, as he attended many of our concerts. If you did you will have found him to be a sensitive, extremely intelligent and articulate young man. He was a devoted and enthusiastic music listener and movie watcher, as well as a self-published poet, with a very bright future ahead of him.

Unfortunately on Christmas Eve 2013, Alec learned he had a cancer of the lymphatic system, followed shortly afterwards by an additional diagnosis of liver cancer. He began a course of aggressive chemotherapy and radiation treatment, but alas to no avail. At the end of July when he understood he had only a short time left, he emailed me to ask if it was possible that his two favourite musicians could set one of his poems to music, a long held dream of his. I immediately agreed but told him I would make a deal with him - I would make it happen if he could hang on long enough to hear it. We even discussed the possibility of him playing drums on the song himself.

Unfortunately he passed away only a few weeks later on 25th August at the age of just 26, and so the idea to record the song has now become about honouring Alec’s memory and all too short life, as well as a form of tribute to him and his family. One of Alec’s poems The Old Peace has been beautifully set to music by Mariusz and sung and performed by both of us. It is now available to download from Burning Shed for a modest sum in both high resolution FLAC and mp3, with 50% of the proceeds going to the medical centre that cared for Alec during his final months, and 50% going to other cancer support group charities. We would be happy if as many people as possible paid for the official download (so please don’t share it or upload it to any other sites) in order to raise as much as we can to help others that find themselves in the same awful situation. The song will be available to download until the end of January, after which all the proceeds will be paid over to the cancer support groups.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/multiproduct/65/4853/

Mariusz Duda / Steven Wilson - The Old Peace

Words by Alec Wildey
Music by Mariusz Duda
Vocals / guitars - Mariusz Duda
Vocals / M-4000 mellotron / keyboards / hand percussion - SW
In memory of Alec Wildey.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3207 on: October 30, 2014, 10:59:41 PM »
Has anyone else listened to Sunsets on Empire by Fish? SW produced that record and wrote most of the music. You can hear his stamp all over the album - I recommend it even if you haven't listened to old Marillion or Fish's other solo releases.

Holy shit, I never knew that. Bought the album at release time, saw the tour, even met Fish before the show, and never had any idea SW was involved.