Author Topic: Kingston Wall  (Read 1604 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Kingston Wall
« on: June 08, 2011, 02:08:03 AM »
I didn't find find anything about this legendary cult band, so I decided to make a thread dedicated to them.

Kingston Wall was a psychedelic/progressive rock band from Finland. They were active from 1987 to 1994 and released three albums: I, II and Tri-Logy. KW were inspired by Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and eastern music. They didn't get much commercial success (they released the albums through their own label), but they had faithful cult following, and many people (including myself) consider the trilogy some of the best music ever recorded in Finland. Their gigs were praised too. Unfortunately their career came to an abrupt end, when guitarist/vocalist/leader Petri Walli killed himself by jumping from a church's tower, for unknown reasons. You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_Wall

I found out about KW through Amorphis. They have been greatly influenced by Kingston Wall and even covered one of their songs (And I Hear You Call) on My Kantele EP. Out of their albums, Tuonela is most notably KW-influenced. I think Kingston Wall were a quite unique band, despite their notable influences. Petri's singing style can't be really praised, but his guitar playing was phenomenal. I also think their drummer Sami Kuoppamäki is possibly the best drummer in Finland!

Here's the opening tracks for each of their albums:
With My Mind
We Cannot Move
Another Piece of Cake

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Kingston Wall
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 04:40:31 AM »
I have II and I think it's pretty awesome! I've found out about them through another psychedelic band (Ozric Tentacles). KW struck me as a poppier, heavier, vocal version of OT, basically. Good stuff!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Kingston Wall
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:21:58 AM »
II is probably my favorite, but I is very consistent too. Tri-Logy isn't on the same level (I'm not a fan of electronic music!), but it still had many highlights.