Author Topic: ZBomber's //OK its all done// roulette  (Read 22525 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
ZBomber's //OK its all done// roulette
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:40:23 PM »
Alright, since this fad seems to be dying a slow and agonizing death, and I have quite a few people in my roulette, I will make mine last only 5 rounds (plus maybe a final round between two people... we'll see how things go)

PARTICIPANTS:
AcidRainLTE
kingshmegland
sonatafanica
jsem
antigoon
dethklok09
BrotherH
skydivingninja
Quadrochosis
MasterShakezula

Should be self explanatory by now, but in case there are some that don't know... each round I will select a theme, and you have to send me a song that fits into that theme. I will then award the songs points based on how much I like them. I will figure out the scoring a little bit later, I just wanna start this thread now so people can start submitting.

https://www.last.fm/user/ZBomber
My last.fm is pretty accurate, of course there are some things I have heard that on there, but I would go by whatever it says. If there is an artist that has a couple plays, I will most likely accept a submission from them, as long as I haven't heard the song in question. I will also accept any genre of music. Get creative, take risks, and don't worry about winning. If you think there is even a slight chance that I will enjoy a song you really like and it fits the round, by all means, send it. After all, the point of these is to turn people onto music you really enjoy. ;)

RIGHT. Round one. Send me something that you find depressing, whether it be because of lyrics, music, or whatever. Let the orgy begin.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:46:49 PM by ZBomber »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: ZBomber's Super Homosexual Gang-Roulette ROUND ONE
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
 :'(

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:44:09 PM »
I'm so gay for this.  I'll have to send a gay song tomorrow in the gay evening.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »

:( If I had any more room, I'd def let you in Zander... but as it is I already have 10 people and these things take forever.  :P If anyone drops out or doesn't respond within a couple days you can have their spot though!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »

:( If I had any more room, I'd def let you in Zander... but as it is I already have 10 people and these things take forever.  :P If anyone drops out or doesn't respond within a couple days you can have their spot though!
Okay! I'mma hold you to that  :heart

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:50:36 PM »
Dammit.  Why didn't you tell me there'd be gay sex?  I would have definitely signed up!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 07:52:13 PM »
Dammit.  Why didn't you tell me there'd be gay sex?  I would have definitely signed up!

He knows you never reciprocate back.  He got that from your posts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:54:26 PM »
Yep. And this is gonna be a long, hard, throbbing roulette. I wasn't sure if your body would be able to take that much abuse.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »
Sometimes you just gotta roll over and accept it.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: ZBomber's Super Fabulous Gang-Roulette ROUND ONE
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 08:34:07 PM »
mike, this is like, the easiest round ever, because i don't listen to any songs that aren't depressing

so expect a song right now

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »
FYI ZBomber, Chris will send you the first round song in 2 weeks

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 08:36:26 PM »
I mean "FYI Mike" since we are all using each other's real names now

And no periods for our sentences

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »
Jamesman, ladies and gentlemen

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 09:05:44 PM »
Thank you thank you

Couldn't have done it without you, sonatafanica

Offline Ħ

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 09:48:08 PM »
Sent

I don't know if I can beat Chris though
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 07:15:19 AM »
I've done sent mine.  Hope it's not something you've heard before. 

Offline jsem

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 07:31:24 AM »
Confident about this round.

Sent. :hat

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 04:34:49 PM »
Just got back from work and have company coming over to watch the Stanley Cup so I'll send a song tomorrow morning.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 04:39:44 PM »
I don't think the roulettes are really dying a death at the moment, I think the current runners just suck at updating. DON'T DO THE SAME MIKE!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 04:40:44 PM »
HEY I AM GOOD AT UPDATING, ROUND 5 WAS A FLUKE YOU BRIT

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 04:48:14 PM »
I don't think the roulettes are really dying a death at the moment, I think the current runners just suck at updating. DON'T DO THE SAME MIKE!

I WON'T LET YOU DOWN RICH
(well, maybe in the bedroom but not in this thread)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 04:53:39 PM »

I WON'T LET YOU DOWN RICH
(well, maybe in the bedroom but not in this thread)
Well yeah but I've come to expect that from you. :sadpanda:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »
Who hasn't?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 08:01:10 AM »
S to the ENT!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 10:16:41 AM »
Alright, everyone has sent in their songs. Expect results by tomorrow morning!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »
Lookin forward to this more than the DT11 news. :caffeine:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »
Lookin forward to this more than the DT11 news. :caffeine:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »
I expect Z's write ups to be in stick figure love note form.  I will expect nothing less.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: ZBomber's Super Fabulous Gang-Roulette ROUND TWO!
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 10:49:48 PM »
Alright, these were practically impossible to rank. Also, I apologize for the varying lengths of the write ups... some of the songs were just easier for me to write about, and it didn't really have much to do with how much I liked the song.

Also, this is how I decided to do my rankings
1. 6
---
2. 5
3. 5
---
4. 4
5. 4
6. 4
---
7. 3
8. 3
---
9. 2
---
10. 1

6 Points:
kingshmegland  - 1. Michael Penn - Whole Truth

I've never heard of Michael Penn before you sent this. The guitar/tone in the chorus blew me away as I was not expecting that at all. I loved his voice as well. And to be perfectly honest, I can't really tell you why I like this song. But I love it. The end in particular, with the harmonies and everything... it's just... perfect. I wish I could say more about this song but... honestly I'm just kinda speechless. This song is DEFINITELY going to be getting a lot of spins from me in the coming days!
----
5 Points:
jsem - 2. Henryk G๓recki - Symphony No. 3 Movement II

Wow. Just wow. A beautiful, moving piece. The lyrics are taken from a message written on the wall of a Gestapo jail cell by an eighteen year old girl. The English translation (or one of them, atleast) is "No, Mother, do not weep, Most chaste Queen of Heaven support me always." Those are the only lines, and they are so simple... but they say so much. The performance sent to me took place in Auschwitz, which added such a haunting feeling to the music, and made the meaning behind the music so much stronger. The instrumentation itself was simple, almost droning in a way, and left me feeling very empty. It fit the meaning behind the song perfectly. The soprano also had a beautiful tone, and her voice rang with passion.

sonatafanica - 3. Bright Eyes - A Spindle, a Darkness, a Fever, and a Necklace

Definitely a very sad song. At first, I really wasn't digging the vocals. But by the end of the song, I had chills going up my spine. The ending is very raw, very emotional, and very much a tear jerker. The lyrics are also superb, and while there are bits of vagueness sprinkled throughout, you can get a very good idea of what he is writing about. Lines like "I touch the clasp/of your locket/with its picture held/some secret you wouldn't tell/but let it choke your neck", "near a sea of pianos/there were waves of chords/that crashed against the shore/in one huge and useless roar" are absolutely beautiful.

Also, the song really reminded me of "If" by Pink Floyd... not so much for the sadness or lyrics, but the music itself.
----
4 Points:
Mastershakezula - 4. Kansas - Lamplight Symphony

First impressions of the song: THAT BASS! The basslines throughout the song are great, and the tone is so powerful and fits the song perfectly. I loved the subject matter. I always find songs about the death of someone to be the saddest things imaginable, and for that very reason I find myself attracted to them. Of course, the vocals are stunning. My favorite line from the song was "He lights a lamp and looks at pictures of the past/the faces of their youth still glow with new found love/but the picture's faded and time has stolen youth away". The middle section of the song was sublime. Then around the 5:35 mark the piano with the strings came in and gave me chills, and it gets even better when the bass kicks in.

I think you've successfully made we want to check out more Kansas. I've heard Leftoverture before (and Dust in the Wind obviously), but that is pretty much the extent to which I've listened to them.

AcidRainLTE - 5. Thrice - Digging My Own Grave
I really liked the feel of this song. I have heard a lot about Thrice on this forum, and I wasn't expecting something like this. Not sure if the rest of their discography is anything like this, but I really enjoyed it. Great piano work, and very down tempo which keeps a nice depressing atmosphere throughout the song. The chorus was great. I loved how drained and tired the vocals felt, yet still bursting with passion. I'll definitely be looking into more Thrice sometime soon.

skydivingninja - 6. Marillion - Sugar Mice
Very nice song. I've heard it in the Surrounded jam DT did on the Chaos in Motion tour, but I never heard the full song before. I really like the concept of the album being about different people at a bar telling their stories, which adds quite a bit of character to this song. The song closes on a great lyrics "So if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar/Where I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars/Blame it on me, blame it on me/Sugar mice in the rain". However, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the "Daddy took a raincheck" line means. The guitar solo was also great, with a lot of emotion shining through. It was probably the highlight of the song for me. My only complaint is how 80s sounding it is... which... is to be expected I guess, since it came out in the 80s.
----
3 Points:
Quadrochosis - 7. Radiohead - How To Disappear Completely

Very spacey, atmospheric song. The end was purely brilliant. I loved the chorus too, "I'm not here, this isn't happening, I'm not here, I'm not here" is just so sad and brings about the most depressing images in my mind. "Strobe lights and blown speakers, fireworks and hurricanes" is a bit puzzling to me, and I haven't any clue as to what that means within the context of the song. Perhaps it has more to do with the album itself rather than the individual song. Could anyone enlighten me?

progoon - 8. The Weakerthans - Bigfoot!
Short, sweet, and to the point. Never heard of this band before. I don't know if I personally find the song to be that depressing, but it was definitely very pretty. I think the saddest part about the song was the horns at the end, which were a great addition, and I kind of wish they were utilized more in the song. The lyrics were very vague and mysterious, but the line "I'll listen to the south winds sigh with rumors and regrets/And I don't want to talk about it anymore" really stood out to me.The outro was also awesomely creepy!
----
2 Points:
H - 9. Symphony X - Paradise Lost

I should probably start off by mentioning that I am not a big fan of Symphony X. However, I tried to look past that and keep an open mind while listening to this. I thought the song was good and the added strings were quite pretty, but I didn't find it very depressing, to be honest.  The final "So I've cheated" section was very powerful though. The transition to acoustic guitar following that was also a great touch, and was my favorite moment in the song. This song is better than anything else I've heard by Symphony X, but it wasn't enough to really make me give them another shot. Bonus points for being inspired by the poem though!
----
1 Point:
dethklok - 10. Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black

I liked the acoustic chord progression in the beginning of the song, but vocals were a huge turn off for me. The transition into distortion for the chorus felt a bit forced and didn't really seem to fit in much. It seems to me like they felt they had to just throw in something heavier in there, because the jumps from acoustic to distortion don't seem natural and happen so often that it didn't feel cohesive to me. That said, I thought the line "I never knew what changed you/did they paint your dreams in pale shades?". Also, I thought the outro was really cool sounding. But of all the songs sent this round, this was my least favorite. Sorry.

Alright, thanks to everyone for getting their submissions so fast. Let's keep it up and we can make this THE FASTEST ROULETTE TO EVER HAPPEN IN THE HISTORY OF WHATEVERS.
ROUND2: Send me something with a great guitar solo. Please note, great guitar solo =/= a billion notes per second. It doesn't need to be fast, or technical, or anything. Just something that you feel is a great solo in itself. If you can't think of a good guitar solo, I will also accept any song with a good solo instrument.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 11:41:56 PM »
Well, I'm very glad to see that you enjoyed the Kansas!   ;D  If you want to know where to go from Leftoverture, well, their first 3 albums are amazing, particularly Song For America.  The 3 after it are pretty good, if not as say, proggy as the first 4.  Though, if you prefer AOR stuff over overtly proggy stuff, then they would be your best bet.  (If you want the album with Dust In The Wind, go for Point of Know Return).  I really haven't checked out anything after the original lineup dissolved, but I've heard great things about the temporary reunion of Somewhere to Elsewhere, so if you find yourself really enjoying Kansas, it would make sense to give it a shot. 

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 12:15:01 AM »
Also, sent.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 04:43:14 AM »
YES!!!  Mike I can give you some recommendations about his 5 albums if you'd like.  Whole Truth is from the album MP4(Days Since A Lost Time Accident), which is my favorite album of his.  I'll work on the song today to send in.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 05:04:02 AM »
Great guitar solos?  Can I just send Sugar Mice again? :neverusethis:

Also, "to take a rain check" means you can't make it to a certain function, get-together, meeting, etc.  I have no idea how that came about and I rarely hear it anymore, but I guess it has something to do with how shameful the narrator is and how he can't face his kids, so he would literally say to his kids "Can't make it, can I take a rain check?" (which I think is the way that saying's used today)

Offline jsem

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 06:22:40 AM »
sent

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 06:33:46 AM »
Sent!!

BTW, I bet the solo I picked is the shortest and has the least amount of notes but the emotion of it makes me hit rewind over and over.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:39:01 PM by kingshmegland »