Author Topic: Car help needed  (Read 3190 times)

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Car help needed
« on: June 07, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »
First and foremost, I know nothing about cars. I know they generally have four wheels, they take you places where you want to go, and until recently I thought a flux capacitor was an actual part of the engine, so go easy on the technical terms.

Almost every time I start my car up (2004 Dodge Stratus coupe, if that's necessary), there's a loud screeching noise coming from somewhere near the right tire. It'll usually stop once I put it in reverse, but then when I'm back in drive, it starts up again. It usually shows up when I accelerate, but if I go past 30 MPH/45 kilo-get-a-real-measurement-system-metres, it'll stop one I let off the gas. I've taken in to a couple of shops, but no one has been able to fix it. So obviously, when the professionals fail, I go to the Super Duper Professionals of DTF. Help me be less annoying, DTF!

tl;dr - My vroom vroom box goes "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!", and it shouldn't.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Car help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
I don't like reading your OPs since they can't contain a humorous alternate subject line.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Very helpful, asshole
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 03:58:36 PM »
Amen to that...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I promise I'm done derailing this thread now LHK
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 04:05:54 PM »
 :lol Nice subject line as I thought the same thing about my post as I typed it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 04:10:21 PM »
 :P

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 04:40:36 PM »
It says that it sounded like my hobbit that turns the crankcase is depressed and needs therapy.  We need to get us a new hobbit.  He's also going to hook us up with the unicorn for the radiator.  I ain't even gonna tell you about that haunted air conditioner.  Plus, the air filter? that's made of plutonium.  That's gonna involve superman, so, you know, plus shipping from krypton. 

Then the cow jumped over the moon.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dear black_floyd, is this better, you raging lump of dick cancer?
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 05:55:49 PM »
So in this thread, black_floyd makes me consider going back in time and convincing myself to replace sigging him with a Dane Cook quote out of spite, BTC proves why she's the best them, and DeeTVeeT mentions hobbits, unicorns and Superman and still gets the closest to an informative answer. Mary lapdancing mother of Christ, it must be Tuesday on DTF.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: I promise I'm done derailing this thread now LHK
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »
I don't like reading your OPs since they can't contain a humorous alternate subject line.
Get out.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 06:05:14 PM »
From your description, it's "la faja del motor" that you need to have checked (they get worn and need to be replaced). However, I don't know the translation in English, it's basically an elastic band that moves when you start the engine, it should be on the top attached to two spinning wheels. Nothing to be too concerned about, but if you have money to have it replaced soon, I'd suggest you do that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »
If you took it to a shop, it's not a belt.  That's the first thing anybody would suspect, and if there was even a possibility that it was bad, they would have replaced it and charged you an hour.  Is it coming from the front or the back?  It happens if you're stationary and the car's in drive?  What if the car's in park?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »
If you took it to a shop, it's not a belt.  That's the first thing anybody would suspect, and if there was even a possibility that it was bad, they would have replaced it and charged you an hour.  Is it coming from the front or the back?  It happens if you're stationary and the car's in drive?  What if the car's in park?
Agreed. I didn't read the part where he said he had it checked

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Call me Mitchell, 'cause my car's about to explode, isn't it?
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 08:03:01 PM »
Is it coming from the front or the back?  It happens if you're stationary and the car's in drive?  What if the car's in park?

Front, yes, and also yes.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
obligatory LHK title change
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »
Well, if it makes the noise when the car isn't moving, that eliminates quite a lot.  A screeching noise is usually a belt or a bearing, and with the wheels stationary, that knocks it down to the remaining moving components, the engine and transmission.  Like I said, a belt is the first thing anybody would look for, and they're pretty easy to diagnose.  Remove that and I'd put my money on the transmission/torque converter.  Since it stops screaching when you put it into reverse, I'd lean towards the tranny, as the torque converter would be constant as long as the engine's running.  I've never owned a FWD car, so I'm far from an expert, but I believe that the tranny/tc is pretty close to the front pax wheel.  The good news is that it probably shouldn't be too bad a fix on that car.

Another reason I'm leaning that direction is that after replacing the spark plugs in my car about 3 months ago, it made a horrific screaching noise, which turned out to be a bearing in the torque converter.  3 months and 1500 miles later I'm still driving it.  In my case, the labor cost exceeds the value of the car, so I'm just gonna drive it until it stops moving.  If I were you, I'd take it to a competent mechanic, let him listen to it with a stethescope and pinpoint the noise.  If it is the tranny, have him replace the fluid and the filter.  I probably won't solve the problem, but it might and it's a helluva lot cheaper than replacing either part.  The rationale is that good ATF should expand to fill volume when it gets hot.  If it's bad (or completely empty), that's not happening and it can cause some real problems with the car.  

Standard disclaimer:  I'm not a mechanic, and I've never owned a FF car.  Drivetrains are complicated business, and there are a lot of things that could make a noise.  I'm just speculating.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 10:30:28 PM »
My first guess would also be a belt or a tensioner.

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 11:21:31 AM »
Sell it? lol I have no clue sorry!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 11:24:24 AM »

EB beat me to it.. sounds like a belt. thats minor, so lets hope its a belt
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Is it still cool to copy LHK, guys? ...guys?
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 11:29:22 AM »
First thing I thought was the transmission.  One of my co-workers car has this same problem.  Like, the exact same.  Horrible screeching noise in park and drive, not in reverse, and its only at the front.  Having been in a car when the transmission has failed (twice) that kind of noise has happened both times.  Hopefully you won't need to replace the whole transmission and hopefully its not one little piece inside that needs to be fixed (both cost tons of money in terms of labor).  I'd start with EB's advice of changing the fluid and filter.

TL;DNR, your vroom vroom box has another box beneath it that lets you change from park to reverse to drive to neutral as needed and something's wrong with it.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: Is it still cool to copy LHK, guys? ...guys?
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 11:35:19 AM »
TL;DNR, your vroom vroom box has another box beneath it that lets you change from park to reverse to drive to neutral as needed...

So, I just learned what a transmission box is...  :lol

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 11:51:44 AM »
Lee....from what you've described....

I'm going say you are low...or out of power steering fluid.
Just the sound description and how it is kind of tied to going forward, back n shit...turning..backing out...

Check the level and color...and then...eek..the pump.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: It's always cool to copy me
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »

'Tensioner'? Is that a real thing, or are you just fucking with me?

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
Re: obligatory LHK title change
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 12:02:37 PM »
Remove that and I'd put my money on the transmission/torque converter.  

my initial thought.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 12:30:34 PM »

... its a real thing lol I had to replace mine on my first car. It creates tension for the engines belts.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »

... its a real thing lol I had to replace mine on my first car. It creates tension for the engines belts.

it is the real thing..but it may not need to be replaced. Typically dealers will replace it, nail you for the labor to do so and the new part. Because the alternative is removing the existing tensioner, repacking the bearings with greese, if that is the need, and gettting some more life out of it. Which a good honest mechanic will try to do.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 01:22:27 PM »
The problem with the belt/tensioner theory is the noise stopping in reverse.  Besides, any mechanic older then 7 would have ruled that out in the first 2 minutes.  Noise occurring while moving or stopped points to engine or tranny.  Noise occuring in drive but not reverse points to tranny. 
E.F. Benson

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »
Those damn transvestites always making noise.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
First and foremost, I know nothing about cars. I know they generally have four wheels, they take you places where you want to go, and until recently I thought a flux capacitor was an actual part of the engine, so go easy on the technical terms.

Almost every time I start my car up (2004 Dodge Stratus coupe, if that's necessary), there's a loud screeching noise coming from somewhere near the right tire. It'll usually stop once I put it in reverse, but then when I'm back in drive, it starts up again. It usually shows up when I accelerate, but if I go past 30 MPH/45 kilo-get-a-real-measurement-system-metres, it'll stop one I let off the gas. I've taken in to a couple of shops, but no one has been able to fix it. So obviously, when the professionals fail, I go to the Super Duper Professionals of DTF. Help me be less annoying, DTF!

tl;dr - My vroom vroom box goes "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!", and it shouldn't.

without reading any of the posts in this thread except the OP, i'm gonna say power steering belt.

edit -- and after reading it I"d say either El Barto has it pretty well nailed, or else whoever checked it is a moron and it's still the power steering belt.

Fuck, El Barto, why do you have to be so friggin relevent, competent, and concise? It's like having a wikibot answer posts. The rest of us are obsolete now. :lol
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:22:39 PM by JustJen »
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 05:24:56 PM »

That's so weird, my vroom vroom box goes EEEEEEEEEEEEEE too, but only if you've pleased it. :eyebrows:

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: There's about to be a barrage of terrible puns in this thread...
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 06:06:34 PM »

That's so weird, my vroom vroom box goes EEEEEEEEEEEEEE too, but only if you've pleased it. :eyebrows:

Just... So many ways to go. I'd go further, but I've already used up Cyrano de Bergerac within the last few months, so I'll just say "Are you sure it doesn't go GOOOOOSH?" and let the rest of you fill in your own LHK-style jokes.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 06:09:48 PM »

Just... So many ways to go. I'd go further, but I've already used up Cyrano de Bergerac within the last few months, so I'll just say "Are you sure it doesn't go GOOOOOSH?" and let the rest of you fill in your own LHK-style jokes.

For some reason that just made me think of one of those "Gushers" commercials.... which just doesn't work here. :lol

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »
Not just anyone can make it go goosh.

meanwhile...back at the car......

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 12:05:32 PM »
 :lol

There's something wrong with my power steering too but it doesn't interfere with my driving so I just ignore it. It just goes EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE when I'm parallel parking and that sort of thing.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 12:10:07 PM »
I still like power steering fluid/pump or the belt tensioner idea that was put forth.

I've matured.
I could have easily taken this thread right down the LHK pipe of depravity.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seriously though, I love those five words put together
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 12:45:02 PM »
I still like power steering fluid/pump or the belt tensioner idea that was put forth.

I've matured.
I could have easily taken this thread right down the LHK pipe of depravity.

:uncontrollablegiggling:

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 02:08:07 PM »
:lol

There's something wrong with my power steering too but it doesn't interfere with my driving so I just ignore it. It just goes EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE when I'm parallel parking and that sort of thing.
Add 2 bucks worth of ATF.  Problem solved.

In fact, you should just take it to a JiffyLube and have them take care of all the fluid levels.  Aside from keeping the power steering rack from going up in smoke, it might also prevent some other halfway important component (engine, transmission, diff) from self destructing.

edit:  Oh, and welcome back.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:23:51 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nothing funnier than two yankees making jokes about cars
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.