Author Topic: What are your Favorite Sci-Fi Books??  (Read 3347 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What are your Favorite Sci-Fi Books??
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 05:29:40 PM »
Well the Dune series is my favorite ever ever. The original novel is my absolute favorite alongside Orwell's 1984.

I've also recently read Ender's Game and look forward to exploring that series more.

Didn't enjoy Foundation, and I didn't really like Brave New World either.

In my younger days I really enjoyed Heinlein, and I still think The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land are two of the best stories ever written.

And finally, CrimsonSunrise, I've read the Void trilogy and loved it but haven't read the earlier trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton, I really hope to get to it soon.

I really like both Nick.  Have you read any of Alistair Reynolds stuff?  Similiar in style, but a more enjoyable read for me.  House of Suns was just awesome.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 05:52:29 PM »
Well the Dune series is my favorite ever ever. The original novel is my absolute favorite alongside Orwell's 1984.

I've also recently read Ender's Game and look forward to exploring that series more.

Didn't enjoy Foundation, and I didn't really like Brave New World either.

In my younger days I really enjoyed Heinlein, and I still think The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land are two of the best stories ever written.

And finally, CrimsonSunrise, I've read the Void trilogy and loved it but haven't read the earlier trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton, I really hope to get to it soon.

I really like both Nick.  Have you read any of Alistair Reynolds stuff?  Similiar in style, but a more enjoyable read for me.  House of Suns was just awesome.

Came in here to say House of Suns. Easily one of the most imaginative scifi books I've read in a great while, the entire universe was simply captivating.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 06:04:07 PM »

Came in here to say House of Suns. Easily one of the most imaginative scifi books I've read in a great while, the entire universe was simply captivating.

I concur ... and I REALLY hope the saga will continue, seems like it will.  ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
Pretty much anything I've read by Card has been really good.  The entire Ender series and the related stories.  Homecoming was a bit bizarre, but good.  Probably my favorite ever by anybody would be Pastwatch.  Brilliant book.

The Dune series, of course.

When I was in college, I really liked Niven's Ringworld series and the Integral Trees a lot.  That was so long ago, I have no idea whether they are really as good as I remember, but I liked them back then. 

Piers Anthony's Adept series was also an enjoyable scifi/fantasy crossover that I liked a lot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 07:15:51 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone here has heard of this book series. I have no idea what it's called or who it's by. All I've got for you guys is what I remember from a summary.

Something about some guy get's transported to some other world or dimension or something. He thinks it's a dream at first, so he just kind of does whatever he wants. Kill, rape, etc. Then realizes it's a real world, spends a while repenting. Then comes out of his funk and saves the world/dimension/whatever.

I guess it gets pretty philosophical or something. And it's kind of a fantasy/sci-fi mix or something. I probably got some details wrong. I heard about it a while ago. But I've forgotten what it is, and I remember it sounding pretty interesting.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »
Pretty much anything I've read by Card has been really good.  The entire Ender series and the related stories.  Homecoming was a bit bizarre, but good.  Probably my favorite ever by anybody would be Pastwatch.  Brilliant book.

The Dune series, of course.

When I was in college, I really liked Niven's Ringworld series and the Integral Trees a lot.  That was so long ago, I have no idea whether they are really as good as I remember, but I liked them back then. 

Piers Anthony's Adept series was also an enjoyable scifi/fantasy crossover that I liked a lot.
Totally agree with Pastwatch, great novel.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 08:23:49 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone here has heard of this book series. I have no idea what it's called or who it's by. All I've got for you guys is what I remember from a summary.

Something about some guy get's transported to some other world or dimension or something. He thinks it's a dream at first, so he just kind of does whatever he wants. Kill, rape, etc. Then realizes it's a real world, spends a while repenting. Then comes out of his funk and saves the world/dimension/whatever.

I guess it gets pretty philosophical or something. And it's kind of a fantasy/sci-fi mix or something. I probably got some details wrong. I heard about it a while ago. But I've forgotten what it is, and I remember it sounding pretty interesting.

Sounds a lot like The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Donaldson.  I started and stopped the first book a few times before I really dug into it, but once I did, I found it to be REALLY good.  Probably fantasy more than scifi though.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »

Sounds a lot like The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Donaldson.  I started and stopped the first book a few times before I really dug into it, but once I did, I found it to be REALLY good.  Probably fantasy more than scifi though.

Yesss. That sounds about right. The title seems to be about what I remember. And after looking at wikipedia, it definitely sounds like it. Thank you so much, I've been trying to find out what it was for the past 4 years or so.