Author Topic: Red Hot Chili Peppers v. NEW ALBUM The Getaway (pg 2)  (Read 8690 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers NEW ALBUM titled I'M WITH YOU
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 01:11:40 PM »
Too bad Stadium Arcadium was pretty meh. Dani California wasn't that bad though.

Besides being a blatant Tom Petty rip-off, to the point of being charged for it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 01:31:57 PM »
Awesome. Kinda sad John isn't there, but what can ya do?

Say what??

John Frusciante left in 2009.

maybe now they'll get a guitar player who can play live and doesn't have unlistenable live tone.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2011, 01:35:18 PM »
I really didn't think Stadium Arcadium was all that bad. I was one of my most anticipated albums back in the day and it certainly didn't disappoint me at all really.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »
Too bad Stadium Arcadium was pretty meh. Dani California wasn't that bad though.

Besides being a blatant Tom Petty rip-off, to the point of being charged for it.
Didn't know that. Then SA has even less value.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 01:45:03 PM »

Yea it was a big deal back in 2006/2007. It was all over the radio/TV/internet.

Which brings me to something I was thinking about. If it weren't for the fact that I go online a lot, I wouldn't even know that RHCP even had a new album out. I haven't heard much on radio or TV, or from people I know. Back in 2006 when SA came out, it was everywhere. I think times have changed a lot in the last few years, or maybe the Chili Peppers lost some momentum after taking a hiatus. Thoughts?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 02:19:36 PM »
This album is growing on me. I personally liked Californication and Stadium Arcadium more, but this is a good one. Just not sure it was worth a five-year wait.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2011, 02:26:08 PM »

Yea it was a big deal back in 2006/2007. It was all over the radio/TV/internet.

Which brings me to something I was thinking about. If it weren't for the fact that I go online a lot, I wouldn't even know that RHCP even had a new album out. I haven't heard much on radio or TV, or from people I know. Back in 2006 when SA came out, it was everywhere. I think times have changed a lot in the last few years, or maybe the Chili Peppers lost some momentum after taking a hiatus. Thoughts?
I think they definitely lost momentum, they used to be pretty big. Haven't heard that much about the new album either.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 06:15:35 PM »
I can't get Factory of Faith out of my head!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2011, 08:45:51 PM »
I really didn't think Stadium Arcadium was all that bad. I was one of my most anticipated albums back in the day and it certainly didn't disappoint me at all really.

Dani California is an awesome awesome song. The title track also. But everything else just didn't stick at all. RCHP can be hit or miss with me, but when they hit, they hit really hard.

Californication and By the Way (and the two newer songs on their greatest hits) for me, with the classics from the older albums.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2011, 09:16:07 PM »
I'm With You is a solid 3.5 / 5 the whole way through. No songs aren't fantastic, but there aren't any I would skip.

Worth the $10 I guess. No bassist makes you bob your head like Flea.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »
Gave the new album a lot of listens now and I like it a lot more. It's still not as good as most of their old work but it's a great effort and I really enjoy it.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »
I love the new album. Like, love love. As in better than Blood Sugar Sex Magic...

*runs away*

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2011, 07:16:26 PM »
I love the new album. Like, love love. As in better than Blood Sugar Sex Magic...

*runs away*

Better than Blood Sugar Sex Magic?? oh mannn

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2011, 07:37:31 PM »
I love the melody driven funk as opposed to the funk funk funk funk funk funk funk of BSSM. Besides Under The Bridge and Breaking the Girl, there aren't any times I really want to sing at the top of my lungs. I'm With You is definitely my AOTY so far.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2016, 12:17:10 PM »
New album came out last week. The getaway

I've listened to it once so far and I like it. Fairly chill which is exactly what my mood is asking for lately.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2016, 02:58:09 PM »
It's not produced by Rick Rubin either which makes me wanna check it out.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
Only heard Dark Necessities. Like it. But it sounds like a slowed down Can't Stop.

Will check out the full album soon. Always love me some RHCP.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2016, 03:32:55 AM »
I've heard it twice now. There's nothing that really blew me away on there but it's still good, and feel like it's going to get better over time. Dark Necessities is probably the best one. Dreams of a Samurai is cool too, escpecially the 5/4 bass line.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers v. NEW ALBUM The Getaway (pg 2)
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2016, 09:30:16 AM »
It's a very nice album, nothing particularly exciting though. As Phoenix says, it's pretty chill.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2019, 07:01:33 AM »
Just a great live version of Under the Bridge from 2003:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxA4JnxlMaM

What an amazing song that is, the whole album is.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline DTA

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2019, 03:05:42 PM »
I know fans are going to go ape-shit about this and think it's the greatest thing ever but Josh was actually bringing in new influences and ideas. Going back to John feels like a regression and not something I'm all that excited about.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2019, 08:58:03 AM »
I'm happy, the best RHCP albums IMO all feature him on guitar.  I had no issues with Josh, but their last two albums are hit or miss. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2019, 09:31:53 AM »
I've listened to the last 2 albums once each and never had any interest to go back. I'm sure Josh is a nice guy and I wish him the best, but Frusciante is what I want.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:44:32 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2020, 05:51:45 AM »
Since I'm on week 5 of working from home, I've been watching/listening to tons of full concerts on Youtube during the day. Yesterday I had RHCP's Live at Slane Castle on. I bought that on DVD probably 15 years ago, but it's got to have been at least a decade since I've watched it. Man, what a show that was. Great set list, cool solos, awesome energy. That's how a DVD should be filmed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2020, 11:28:52 AM »
Since I'm on week 5 of working from home, I've been watching/listening to tons of full concerts on Youtube during the day. Yesterday I had RHCP's Live at Slane Castle on. I bought that on DVD probably 15 years ago, but it's got to have been at least a decade since I've watched it. Man, what a show that was. Great set list, cool solos, awesome energy. That's how a DVD should be filmed.

I hadn't seen this since my college roommate had the DVD and we watched it in 2004, so yea about 15 or so years for me as well.  I just put it on.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2020, 01:09:04 PM »

I hadn't seen this since my college roommate had the DVD and we watched it in 2004, so yea about 15 or so years for me as well.  I just put it on.

Their cover of Havana Affair is soooo good. I love Flea's trumpet solo as well.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2021, 05:21:03 PM »
Stumbled upon Brun Mars and Peppers half-time show from 2014. It's such a unlikely paring but it worked so well. Brun Mars just killed it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline DTA

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2022, 11:56:10 AM »
Unlimited Love tracklist

1.   "Black Summer"   3:52
2.   "Here Ever After"   3:50
3.   "Aquatic Mouth Dance"   4:20
4.   "Not the One"   4:26
5.   "Poster Child"   5:16
6.   "The Great Apes"   5:03
7.   "It's Only Natural"   5:43
8.   "She's a Lover"   3:41
9.   "These Are the Ways"   3:56
10.   "Whatchu Thinkin'"   3:40
11.   "Bastards of Light"   3:38
12.   "White Braids & Pillow Chair"   3:40
13.   "One Way Traffic"   4:10
14.   "Veronica"   4:28
15.   "Let 'Em Cry"   4:23
16.   "The Heavy Wing"   5:31
17.   "Tangelo"   3:27

Black Summer seems like kind of an odd opening song...a bit low energy. It was ok, though it sounds exactly like where they left off on Stadium Arcadium which is a bit underwhelming. I still maintain that Josh injected more creativity into their music than John did on his last few albums with them.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2022, 03:33:13 PM »
I still maintain that Josh injected more creativity into their music than John did on his last few albums with them.

Josh may have injected more creativity, but hearing Black Summer for the first time today, hearing John’s guitar playing instantly reminded me of my love for this band. I personally wish they kept Josh and went with a two guitarist approach, but if I have to pick one guitarist for the Chili Peppers, I will ALWAYS take John over Josh, Dave, or Hilel.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2022, 04:44:03 PM »
I only own two RHCP albums (Mother's Milk and One Hot Minute) so I'm extremely casual. I enjoy pretty much everything I've heard from them that's not Suck My Kiss or Give It Away.
I would say that Black Summer is pretty cool. Once it gets going of course.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2022, 11:21:57 AM »
I still maintain that Josh injected more creativity into their music than John did on his last few albums with them.

Josh may have injected more creativity, but hearing Black Summer for the first time today, hearing John’s guitar playing instantly reminded me of my love for this band. I personally wish they kept Josh and went with a two guitarist approach, but if I have to pick one guitarist for the Chili Peppers, I will ALWAYS take John over Josh, Dave, or Hilel.

Agreed.  I've got no issues if this is the band going back to where they left off with Stadium Arcadium because that's my favorite RHCP album

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2022, 10:13:12 AM »
New album came out last week.

Gonna have to listen to it more before forming thoughts. Anyone else check it out yet?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2022, 10:18:51 AM »
Yeah.  I like it, but it could use a little trimming.

There's a few standout tracks to me.... Aquatic Mouth Dance, One Way Traffic, Let Em Cry

But a lot of the album is just decent to good.  It kind of plods along at 17 tracks.  I think I had my hopes a little too high with John returning so it feels like a bit of a letdown, but I do think it's overall still pretty good. 

Flea is absolutely amazing on this, as usual.