Author Topic: Gaming Mice  (Read 1399 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Gaming Mice
« on: June 05, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
I'm looking for one. Recommendations?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Gaming Mice
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
I can confirm that the mx518 is regarded as the best balance of cost/performance - any higher and you're getting diminishing returns, and there are few mice that are better anyway.

Alternative:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CM-Storm-Sentinel-Advance-5600dpi/dp/B002P8XN1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307296277&sr=1-1

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 11:52:56 AM »
oh... you are talking about computer mice...

for a split second i imagined mice... with little guns strapped to them... in a little arena... nevermind
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 11:53:04 AM »
The be-all-end-all of gaming mice.

https://www.razerzone.com/

There's a huge survey to fill out that guides you the mouse that best fits you. :)

Offline OskarSluring

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »
If you're looking for something relatively budget, just get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0007Z1M50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307295811&sr=8-1
I've had mine for atleast four years, and it still works pefectly, so i can only recommend it :tup

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:59:58 AM »
The be-all-end-all of gaming mice.

https://www.razerzone.com/

There's a huge survey to fill out that guides you the mouse that best fits you. :)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »
I took a look at the Razer Naga on that site, and I'm wondering how all those buttons on the side works. Can I bind actions to them like hotkeys on my keyboard?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 12:39:05 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0007Z1M50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307295811&sr=8-1
I've been using the identical mx700 for ages and it's fantastic.  After 7 years of wear and tear, I've had to take it apart a few times to clean the guts out, but it's still tip-top.  Accurate, heavy, ergonomic and equally good for gaming and general use.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 12:50:03 PM »
I've been using the same MX518 for like 5 years, and it works amazingly well still.  Razer mice have always been too quick for my taste, and they don't fit my hand nearly as well as the Logitech gaming mice.  And yeah, all the extra buttons are bind-able to whatever keystroke you want.  You can even bind them to do multiple keystrokes at the same time.  Makes it amazing for playing games, especially a game that has tons of binds, like an MMO.

Imo, a Logitech MX518 or G5 is the way to go for cost/performance/reliability.  I know like 7 or 8 other people that use them and I've never heard of anyone having a problem. 

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »
Please tell me you have an extra I can bum off you :P

I didn't realize how expensive these all were lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 01:15:01 PM »
$30 for the MX518 is a fantastic price/quality point.  I'd jump on it and never look back.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 03:32:37 PM »
I took a look at the Razer Naga on that site, and I'm wondering how all those buttons on the side works. Can I bind actions to them like hotkeys on my keyboard?

Yes, that's what they're for.  It's an MMO mouse.  You can effectively bypass the need for a keyboard (except for chat purposes) in WoW (not that I would recommend doing so).

You should go to Best Buy and hold some of the mice.  They have several gaming mice, including Razer and Logitech.  Also, you can buy them, and if you don't like it, return it.  Or you can try it, and if you do like it, return it and buy it online for a much cheaper price.

If you're super picky like me, it might take some trial and error before you settle on one.  If you are someone who doesn't lift their mouse a lot, then I recommend the Razer DeathAdder 100%.  It's on sale right now on Newegg for $44.99 and free shipping.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the bulkiness of Logitech mice, as I tend to lift my mouse a ton when playing FPS games.  I went through three mice before I settled on one.  First, I tried the Logitech G500.  Love the feel, but it was way too heavy, and sweat tended to make it slip.  Second, I tried the Razer Lachesis.  Grew to like it a lot, but the laser causes it to move several pixels when you click down.  Not really noticeable in games, but atrocious for web browsing.  So I got the Razer DeathAdder; probably their most popular model.  It was like heaven in my hands, but... it has no grip or dips on the side for leverage to lift it, so that was a somewhat difficult task.  What mouse has the same shape as the DeathAdder, but it DOES have grips and dips on the sides to lift?  Razer Mamba.  The price tag, yikes.  It's functionality is not worth that price whatsoever, but being the perfect mouse for me made it worth it, and the wireless turned out to be amazingly helpful (no drag from the cord).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:53:05 PM by HarlequinForest »

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 09:25:25 PM »

I'm another guy that has it, even a good friend of mine too! I remember though making a thread looking for a keyboard and mouse and that was the only option it seemed.

It's funny though whenever somebody makes a thread just like this, they always post this same mouse. :laugh:

Kosmo

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 09:18:08 AM »
Razer Naga is pretty freaking nifty for PvP in MMO's. I myself use MX518 and love it.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 09:38:08 AM »
Yeah I'd like to have it for PvMP in Lord of the Rings Online. Mouse turning would be so much easier if I didn't have to worry about my keyboard in fights. I cycle the same skills (mostly) in combat anyway unless my opponent has some funky stuff going on

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 10:31:40 AM »
Bought this a few months ago, never looked back :D

also had the mx518. its a beautiful mouse aswell.

RAT 7:

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 01:08:34 PM »

I chuckled

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 01:25:56 PM »