Author Topic: Top 50 Albums: The UMH Experience  (Read 65189 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Top 50 Albums: The UMH Experience
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »
Oh come on now, it's not THAT bad.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2011, 09:42:12 PM »
Are you kidding me??? I can't believe I amde it through the intro track first of all just to hear the other autrocities that album has in it. The only okay song it has is Nevermore and it's bores me right from the beginning.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2011, 09:46:16 PM »
The only BAD songs on it are Too Extreme!, Radikult, and maybe Destructos. The rest range from decent to pretty good.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2011, 09:49:34 PM »
Well I don't enjoy just anything from that album but if you do, then godspeed to you mate and I hope you enjoy it.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2011, 09:26:57 AM »
40. Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Symphony X is like Ayreon, where people are immensely divided with their opinions. Most call them cheesy, and don't give them a second glance. Those people are wankers. This album is far and away Symphony X's heaviest album, and I'd say it almost has more in common with power metal than prog. The progressive tendencies come with the musicianship of Michael Romeo. Some of the guitar solos on this album are absolutely monstrous, stuff that no other player could pull off. Of course, special mention must be given to vocalist Russel Allen, who has his shining moment in the title track. His voice has a raw emotion that very few singers can emulate, and in case you aren't aware, he's a flawless live performer. Overall, this album is most likely Symphony X's most accessible album, since there aren't any 20 minute epics. Newcomers should definitely listen to it.

Recommended tracks: Set the World On Fire, Eve of Seduction, Seven

39. Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese

After however many albums on this list have featured guitar as the dominant instrument, we've got an album that has more impressive bass than anything. Les Claypool is an absolute master of the instrument, and he sings these broken phrases at the same time. I can't even begin to comprehend how he does it. This album is very entertaining, it's funky and incredibly heavy at the same time. Even for those who don't like bass or thing the music is too "bare" (this can happen in power trios, except Rush for some reason), there's plenty of lyrical humor to keep the album interesting throughout it's runtime. Pretty much everyone has heard the song "Jerry Was a Race Car Driver", and that song is here, but the rest of the songs are just as good. Check it out.

Recommended tracks: Sgt. Baker, Is it Luck?, Tommy the Cat

38. Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element Part I

This album is a true progressive masterpiece. Singer and songwriter Daniel Gildenlow has crafted a touching conceptual piece about two characters from troubled and abusive pasts. The music has something I thought I'd never see in any album, pacing. This album builds up much like a movie would. By the bridge of the title track, the intensity of this album is completely palpable. The music isn't very technically challenging, but it's more impressive to me how moving some of the pieces are. Simplicity is definitely the way to go with an album like this. There's not too much else to say with this one, just listen to it.

Recommended tracks: In the Flesh, Ashes, Reconciliation

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2011, 10:28:56 AM »
Guess I'm a wanker then because Paradise Lost was my first SymphX album and I hated it  :P  But you know, tastes and all that.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2011, 10:50:49 AM »
I bought Paradise Lost because of the "Others Recommend" section on Napster when listening to Dream Theater.  You're right, it's quite heavy but quite unique (although I don't listen to a lot of power metal).  I really like Russel Allen's singing.  I read a review somewhere that he sounds a bit too much like Dio but is that a bad thing?  Still I don't crave listening to it as much as maybe Dream Theater.  I'm not sure why.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2011, 11:57:46 AM »
I would put Paradise Lost's title track in my "Top 20 songs of all time" list. The emotion in his voice is incredible. The whole album is good, but damn....dat title track.

The Perfect Element is another great album. Good picks Justin. :metal
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »
Paradise Lost is fairly good, I really liked it when it came out and I was more into Prog Metal.
It's not the type of album I would just put on now, but I still think it's a good album for what it is, even though Symphony X as a whole has never 'clicked' with me.
The Perfect Element is also a fairly good album, I remember spinning it several times on the same day when I was checking out PoS, and it has some solid songs on it.
I know most PoS fans seem to have a 'Remedy Lane VS TPE'-type of debate, I'd probably say that I prefer The Perfect Element.

Have not heard Primus, so can't comment.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2011, 12:15:55 PM »
Have not heard Primus, so can't comment.

I have.  Les Claypool?  That's dude's crazy.  I can't get into the music but there's no denying that he's got crazy, mad skills on the bass.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2011, 12:22:12 PM »
I used to listen to a lot of Symphony X back in my time, and for the most part, they're very cheesy, but I don't think they're bad (Candlelight Fantasia is a gorgeous song). And Russell Allen is a hell of a singer.

Great to see The Perfect Element here--one of the most powerful and emotional pieces of music ever conceived. Primus is pretty cool, too.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2011, 04:29:14 PM »
(Candlelight Fantasia is a gorgeous song). And Russell Allen is a hell of a singer.
YES! Agree with both these comments. I like a bit of SX from time to time - definitely cheesy but so epic as well and they have some good stuff. Paradise Lost is a good album, although far from their best IMO. The good songs are really great, but there are some quite boring ones as well.

Great to see The Perfect Element here--one of the most powerful and emotional pieces of music ever conceived.
YES!

Primus is pretty cool, too.
Yes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
Primus are an excellent band, although I only own the Brown album, I might check this one out, Tommy the Cat is a great song.

Paradise Lost has also been one of my fav albums over the last few years.  Addictive, heavy, excellent performances and just wonderful songs, I seriously don't understand why people just write them off.

Perfect Element is also an album that I have fallen in love with over the last year.  Wonderful music, great contrast between songs and really, every song on the album is amazing.  I agree to a certain extent how you say the music isn't technically challenged, but honestly, the band has amazing chops.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2011, 05:37:54 PM »
Paradise Lost is the only Symphony X album I own, but it is very good.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2011, 08:18:05 PM »
Great choices!

Offline jsem

« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2011, 02:33:15 AM »
Get V or Divine Wings now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2011, 02:59:05 AM »

Or The Odyssey.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2011, 06:04:30 AM »

Or The Odyssey.

Or listen to better music :neverusethis:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2011, 08:13:57 AM »
Saw Primus on the Sailing tour and what an album that is.

Here Come the Bastards & Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers rocked the house!!!  I've never seen a sea of people jumping up and down going nuts like when I heard "Those Damned..." live. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2011, 01:47:07 AM »
Paradise Lost was my first Symphony X album and I fell in love with it. :metal :hefdaddy :metal Not as good as V but still kicks some serious ass, I don't get why people give it crap.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2011, 02:10:59 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2011, 03:39:01 AM »
Fuck yeah SEAS OF CHEESE!!!

The only thing bad about that album is nothing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »
The Perfect Element is an absolutely beautiful album.

Symphony X is not a bad band by any measure; I hardly ever listen to them but it's a fairly fun listen if I do.  I didn't care for Paradise Lost much, though, except for a few tracks.  I'd take Divine Wings or V first. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2011, 05:38:38 PM »
Yeah Divine Wings! o/

Generally if I fancy listening to an SX album, that's the one I go to.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2011, 06:02:26 PM »
Moar updates plz.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2011, 10:24:37 PM »
37. Deicide - Once Upon the Cross

Deicide are another one of the relatively well-known death metal bands. This album is what some would call a quick hit, a drive-by musical experience if you will. This album is ridiculously short, and if it was a second longer, it'd be a complete failure. This is a perfectly calculated death metal attack. Any time I'm in a sour mood and just need something incredibly intense to eat up a half-hour, this album's got the exact idea. Every song is absolutely killer, and it contains arguably the greatest death metal song of all time, "When Satan Rules His World". Oh, and if you're against organized religion in any fashion, the lyrics will definitely appeal.

Recommended tracks: Christ Denied, When Satan Rules His World, Kill the Christian, Trick or Betrayed

36. Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated

Aside from having one of the best album covers ever, this album is another flawless slab of death metal. This one holds the coveted title of "First death metal album I ever heard". I remember going to my then-girlfriend's house, and downloading it off of LimeWire (seriously). As I listened to it, I felt like I was being born again. My eyes had been opened to a whole new type of metal, and holy shit did I like it. It was more intense than thrash, which I had been listening to exclusively. That, and the lyrics are so ridiculously violent that it physically repulsed me. To a metal-obsessed teenager, that's all it took. And, what was my then-girlfriend's response to my new awakening, you ask?

"...that's not even music." Yeah, that relationship went south.

Recommended tracks: Hammer Smashed Face, I Cum Blood (seriously), Necropedophile (seriously), Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's Cunt (...seriously)

35. Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell

Another old favorite here. My dad was responsible for Meat Loaf. He played me Bat Out of Hell at an early age, and I didn't think much of it, because there's way too much going on with that album for a child to understand and appreciate. When I started getting into Pink Floyd and Metallica, I listened to Bat Out of Hell again and fell in love. I quickly got a hold of the sequel, and found something even better. This album is a real piece of work. It touches on a million different genres, while still maintaining the pop sensibilities. In fact, I'd probably go so far as to call this progressive pop-rock. Loads of people respect Yes for breaking into the mainstream with an 8 minute song, but Jim Steinman and Meat Loaf did the same thing with a 12 minute song. If you can find me another 75 minute pop album that covers this much ground and doesn't collapse in on itself, well, fucking show it to me.

Recommended tracks: Life is a Lemon and I Want My Money Back, Objects in the Rearview Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are, Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:36:36 PM by Ultiboybandhead »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2011, 10:29:16 PM »
I love that Cannibal Corpse album. Fuck da hataz :2metal:
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2011, 10:30:52 PM »
I love that Cannibal Corpse album. Fuck da hataz :2metal:

:rollin

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2011, 10:32:08 PM »
qwhy is that image os big what the hell
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2011, 10:32:22 PM »
Swing and a miss.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2011, 10:37:15 PM »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2011, 10:47:08 PM »
Metallica Deicide and Cannibal Corpse, however, sucks cock and then blows the semen back into the cock in an endless back-and-forth exchange for eternity.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
No. You're just not indie enough to handle it.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2011, 10:54:05 PM »
No. You're just not indie enough to handle it.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2011, 10:58:37 PM »
Ooooh look at me I'm Ravenheart