Author Topic: Top 50 Albums: The UMH Experience  (Read 65268 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Top 50 Albums: The UMH Experience
« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
Amazing update Justin, three really excellent albums! Especially great to see The Offspring. :D

Also, listening to some Alestorm for the first time. THIS BETTER BE GOOD.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #176 on: June 13, 2011, 01:17:39 PM »
FOTBP :tup :tup

DSOTM  No comment. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »
Americana is awesome as hell. Love that album.

Listened to it for the first time in ages the other day when I had some friends round and then Nandos were blasting really loudly after all their customers had left last night. It was awesome. They even played all of Pay The Man!

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2011, 07:11:48 PM »
Americana is awesome as hell. Love that album.

Listened to it for the first time in ages the other day when I had some friends round and then Nandos were blasting really loudly after all their customers had left last night. It was awesome. They even played all of Pay The Man!
Oh god Nandos. I have a card for a free whole chicken that I'm waiting for the perfect moment to use :caffeine:

Also The Offspring rules. I think Ixnay is my favourite album, but Americana is great too

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2011, 07:24:07 PM »
Great picks, all three of them.

Glad to see someone else appreciates some Offspring 'round here.  :tup

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: June 13, 2011, 07:38:30 PM »
Oh god Nandos. I have a card for a free whole chicken that I'm waiting for the perfect moment to use :caffeine:
The cinema I work in is literally just across from one in a shopping center. Also because I work in said shopping center, I get a discount at that particular Nandos :hat

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #181 on: June 13, 2011, 11:35:41 PM »
Great picks, all three of them.

Glad to see someone else appreciates some Offspring 'round here.  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2011, 02:49:54 PM »
Late posting in here... just getting caught up on these Top 50 threads since I've signed up.  I pray that since you have Bat II, the original (and vastly superior) is still pending.   Despite the painfully cheesy song titles, Bat II is a very good album.  Bat III on the other hand ....
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2011, 02:50:15 PM »
28. Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine: Biomech

Well, here's an artist I'm sure absolutely nobody was expecting. Devin Townsend is a musical genius. This album came out very early in his career, so it was readily apparent to anybody who listened to Ocean Machine that this guy had a hell of a career ahead of him. I can't think of a more aptly named album on this entire list. Most of this album, as a result of its production style and the atmospherics, feels very much like being completely engulfed by the ocean. While most of my favorite albums have a light or dark feel to them, Devin Townsend's are the only albums that I sense colors to. This album is the deepest shade of blue. From the opening notes of Seventh Wave to the terrifying scream at the end of the relatively subdued Things Beyond Things, this album is a marvel of beauty, much like watching the ocean. Multiple listens are required to through the wall of sound, but this is one of the most rewarding listens one could ever hear. The highlight for any seasoned Devy fan is the combo of Funeral, Bastard, and The Death of Music, which is arguably one of the greatest 30 minutes of music ever recorded.

Recommended tracks: Seventh Wave, Life, Regulator, the three I mentioned above.

27. Testament - The New Order

Another 80s thrash album by a band that's not in the big 4. Testament was always right on the verge of turning the big 4 into the big 5, and had their first album been released a few years earlier, they probably would have. The Legacy was an absolutely brutal thrash album with lead playing that ran circles around Metallica. The New Order kept the sound and made the music more accessible. There are even some instrumental cuts that set the mood even more. This is another very dark album.  Chuck Billy has always had one of the more intriguing voices in thrash, and it's in top form here. They even managed to cover Nobody's Fault by Aerosmith without it sounding awful. This is a masterfully crafted thrash album that belongs up there with the classics.

Recommended tracks: The New Order, Trial By Fire, Into the Pit, Disciples of the Watch

26. Spock's Beard - The Light

Most people cite "V" as the best Spock's Beard album, but I beg to differ. This was Spock's Beard's first album, and already they have 3 songs over 10 minutes. Not exactly "playing it safe" for their debut. For the most part, this risk really pays off. There are tons of excellent musical ideas that fit together perfectly. Odd time signatures, choral work, loud and obnoxious guitar work, all the ingredients are there for a killer prog album. Plus, hearing Born-Again-Christian Neal Morse screaming "FUCK YOU" at the top of his voice in The Water is definitely one of the funniest things I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.

Recommended tracks: The Light, The Water
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2011, 02:56:32 PM »
Just posting to say I've read and am following.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Ocean Machine is a good choice. 

I don't like Testament or Spock's Beard at all, but Ocean Machine is a good choice. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #186 on: June 14, 2011, 03:00:24 PM »
I don't like Spock's Beard at all. 

You're a horrible, terrible human being and a stain on society.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »
O:M is a good choice, but Devin has a lot of albums that are better.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: June 14, 2011, 03:01:17 PM »
I don't like Spock's Beard at all. 

You're a horrible, terrible human being and a stain on society.
I don't like them either. At all.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #189 on: June 14, 2011, 03:02:05 PM »
You both fail.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: June 14, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »
I figured Ryan wouldn't like them, but Seth's distaste for them surprises me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: June 14, 2011, 03:04:30 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: June 14, 2011, 03:05:31 PM »
Mostly because his vocals are shit. Really really shit.
I AM A GUY

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: June 14, 2011, 03:05:59 PM »
O:M is a good choice, but Devin has a lot of albums that are better.

This, and I expect to see them...

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: June 14, 2011, 03:07:09 PM »
Man, I was lol'ing so hard at this because I thought you were trolling.

I'm still hoping you are, but these are some dangerous levels of fail you're approaching.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #195 on: June 14, 2011, 03:08:29 PM »
Nope, not trolling. Though I should probably stop posting here because it's your list and I don't want to be tearing down your thread like I am.
I AM A GUY

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »

IB4Nick starts a thread about you. :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2011, 03:09:48 PM »
Nope, not trolling. Though I should probably stop posting here because it's your list and I don't want to be tearing down your thread like I am.
Meh, I don't care. It's your funeral. Shit, does that count as a death threat? That line seems to have blurred recently...

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: June 14, 2011, 03:17:29 PM »

lol
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: June 14, 2011, 03:57:30 PM »
wat

Anyways, The Light is an amazing album. The lyrics are hilarious and make The Count of Tuscany seem like lyrical genius, but the music more than makes up for it.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »
Good to see Testament on the list. Chuck Billy has such an awesome voice. :metal

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2011, 06:35:27 PM »
I usually regard Ocean Machine as my favorite Devin album, but I haven't heard all of his stuff yet, and I realize it's not really the popular opinion. Spock's Beard is cool on occasion. I've listened to some of The Light, and I liked some of the melodies I heard a lot.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2011, 07:45:11 PM »
Testament rules! :metal

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »
25. Slayer - Reign in Blood

Simply put, this is the fastest, most intense thrash album ever created by anyone. If you can find one that's more insane than this one, you're living a lie. 10 songs at an average of 220 BPM, lyrics ripe with violence and blasphemy, one of the most skilled drummers in metal, ferocious guitar assaults from Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman. To use a humorous metaphor, that's a recipe for one deadly thrash metal cookie. The first time I heard this album, I kept listening to it again and again because I just couldn't get enough of it. It was a daily listen for about 5 months before I started to get tired of it. Even then, this is one of those albums I can put on at any time and still love it.

Recommended tracks: Angel of Death, Altar of Sacrifice, Reborn, Postmortem

24. Devin Townsend - Infinity

This one may seem like an odd choice, even for long-time Devin fans. Infinity isn't one of Devin's most popular albums, but he has stated numerous times that it's his favorite (this was before the DTP, so maybe it has changed by now). This one, to me, is a great representation of all that Devin does. Truth is your epic instrumental opening that lays down the law right away. This gives way into Christeen, which is a delightful pop song. After that is Bad Devil, a crazy song that touches on Devin's more fun aspects. The rest of the album follows that pattern, all the while telling a conceptual story about the workings of the universe, and how we have no idea how complex our world really is. This concept alone puts it high up on my list, since I can really relate to wondering how the hell the universe works. A few bands have been referred to as "thinking-man's metal", but no other album fits that description as well as Infinity. Another interpretation is that the album is representative of Devin's bipolar disorder, since it tends to swing from beautifully depressing to chaotic and fun at the drop of a hat. The album culminates in a comforting message before Noisy Pink Bubbles saying, "It's all right, it's all right." I could try to explain it more, but it's tough to grasp. Just listen to it.

Recommended tracks: The whole thing. Listening to individual tracks ruins the natural flow.

23. The Offspring - Ixnay on the Hombre

I could pretty much redo the Americana write-up with this one. But, this album is functionally different from Americana in the tone of the songs. While Americana is mostly full of fun songs that sometimes have depressing lyrics, Ixnay has a few songs that are just so full of emotion that it's hard not to be touched. This is all coming from a punk band that writes songs about little kids eating dog shit after thinking it's a candy bar. Seriously though, Gone Away and Amazed are two of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, and pretty much anybody can relate to the feeling of helplessness expressed in both of them. That's what impresses me so much about The Offspring. The first half of the album is mostly fun punk songs about silly topics, and then a song like Gone Away kicks in. It's a pretty incredible experience.

Recommended tracks: The Meaning of Life, Gone Away, I Choose, All I Want, Amazed
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:48:09 AM by Ultiboybandhead »

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2011, 10:42:59 AM »
lolslayer
I AM A GUY

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2011, 10:45:32 AM »
Ixnay is a fucking fantastic album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2011, 10:45:47 AM »
Cool to see some Devin Townsend!
I've just recently discovered him, and only been listening to Ghost and Decon (with the exception of Ki once in the car), but I really like him, and it's a good sign that there's already two of his older albums on a list like this.  :hat

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2011, 11:07:50 AM »
I'm honestly surprised to see Spock's Beard on your list.  I didn't think they'd be your sort of thing.  I love the Light as well, though the first disc of Snow destroys everything else they've ever done (the second disc...eh).  I wouldn't put Infinity above O:M, but you did a good job of explaining why you like it as much as you do.

Oh, and lolslayer, loltestament, and loloffspring. :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »
Ixnay is Offsprings best work and easily one of the best albums of the entire 1990's, it's just fucking classic.  Amazed is a top 5 Offspring song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »
lolslayer
This.

But the other two are friggin' awesome! :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.