Author Topic: Anonymous (group that took down PSN) has taken over control Iranian Govt Servers  (Read 3916 times)

Offline tjanuranus

https://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/06/03/anonymous-claims-control-of-iranian-govt-servers/

https://youtu.be/9WzCetIiWcw

Anonymous claims control of Iranian gov’t servers

Hackers claiming to be part of protest group "Anonymous" published on Friday over 10,000 internal emails from the Iranian government's ministry of foreign affairs, as part of an ongoing campaign against the authoritarian regime.

The emails were published to torrent file sharing website The Pirate Bay, along with usernames and passwords. Members also claimed they had taken control of the government's servers.

In a chat with Raw Story, members of Anonymous on the #OpIran server said they were leading the charge because they want Iranians to know they're not alone in their struggle against the regime of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

They also pointed to a declaration of intent to attack the Iranian government, which they published to YouTube in February.

Apart from the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the hackers said they were targeting servers containing information about the Kahrizak detention center in Iran, a notorious site human rights campaigners have raised alarms about for years.

The group also claimed it had hacked servers belonging to the government in Dubai, obtaining about 100 account logins.

Anonymous is reportedly planning another cyber attack on the Iranian government to coincide with the election's anniversary.

The Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website was still offline at time of this writing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
That's pretty crazy!

But I thought Anonymous denied being responsible for the PSN hack?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline tjanuranus

That's pretty crazy!

But I thought Anonymous denied being responsible for the PSN hack?

They put out videos talking about why they did it, well i saw them back in april. All about Sony's decision to sue geohot.

Offline Pyroph

There's another group aptly named "lulzsec" which has still been attacking Sony, as well as PBS and now Nintendo.

Offline tjanuranus

https://youtu.be/oYBPBeM7gZ8

here they say they did it but stopped attacking PSN after a while because of the customers.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Ah ok, must have been a really early report I read that claimed it wasn't them.

Never mind, carry on.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni

It's really a question of whether the ends justify the means. In this case, I agree with you. It's a bit of a gray area.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Oh shit. This is pretty intense.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
Oh shit. This is pretty intense.

You said it

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I hope there's no anthrax in my e-mail
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »
Cool. Internet terrorism. These guys are some real bad asses.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...

It's really a question of whether the ends justify the means. In this case, I agree with you. It's a bit of a gray area.

are you justified.... take life to save life...

wait.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
lolDreamTheater.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Yawn. Wake me up when they start cyber bullying Achmedinawhatever.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Revel

• The Prancing Philosopher
  • Not this day, just a hop and a skip and a 1, 2, 3
Oh anon.... :T

I lol'd pretty hard when they took psn down and this is damned funny too, but not the first government they've attacked, if I'm not mistaken.
\"Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!\"

Offline Vivace

Anonymous scares me. Accepting the idea of proportionalism for your actions still doesn't make them morally just. I would much rather take Wikileaks over cyberterrorists.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
ter·ror·ism
   [ter-uh-riz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

1. there was no use of violence.

2. therefore, although they were resisting a government, the hax did it in a non-violent way. terrorism? no.

"terrorism", by proper definition perhaps. but what you nublets fail to recognize is that in this particular sense, this "terrorism" is actually helping the general welfare of the people. therefore, in my opinion - and informally, i wouldn't classify it as terrorism.

it's just a bunch of hackers actually doing good, for once. iran is basically a crappy government that doesn't give a shite about it's people, yet when hax actually stand against it...it get's labeled as terrorism. totally not cool.

edit

source - https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrorism

totalitarian changed to something more formal.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Ricky, a bunch of terrorists claim to be helping the general populace, that is not a deciding factor in anything.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
sup nick.

edit - just wanted to say that i was describing this particular incident. in no way do i condone what them, i just don't know enough about who they are.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:08:36 PM by ricky »
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
sup nick.

anyways, the definition of terrorist as i represented in my previous post is pretty difficult to decipher. when we can agree as to what a "terrorist" is, i guess it will be easier to debate. i just don't see how hax standing against a government that, for the most part, doesn't care about it's people is a bad thing.

:corn
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline robwebster

sup nick.

anyways, the definition of terrorist as i represented in my previous post is pretty difficult to decipher. when we can agree as to what a "terrorist" is, i guess it will be easier to debate. i just don't see how hax standing against a government that, for the most part, doesn't care about it's people is a bad thing.
It's the equivalent of poking a lion with a stick.

Not a clever thing to do.

Offline wjc

Ricky, a bunch of terrorists claim to be helping the general populace, that is not a deciding factor in anything.

One person's terrorists are another's freedom fighters.
Have your say in DT: The League

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
If fire fighters fight fire, and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
freedom, eh?

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
Its still debated whether or not Anonymous had anything to do with the PSN outage. Obviously a youtube video of someone claiming to be representing anonymous can't be taken as 100% proof, since they are, well, anonymous. Extra Credits did a great video on the subject a couple days ago: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3350-Anonymous

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
anonymous -- a couple of people doing stuff as a whole brigade of idiots refreshes a page and clings to the false feeling that they had anything to do with anything (while reveling in their freedom to be bigoted while claiming its all in fun).

I admit I thought the fake threats of a Swedish school shooting that became actual news was hilarious at first, but at least I didn't think I had something to do with it just because I was there for it. geez
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline wjc

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat? :o
Have your say in DT: The League

Offline Vivace

why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
vegetarians = people
humanitarians = people

QED: humanitarians eat vegetables, because they are vegetarians.

Is that right?

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

sup nick.

It's the equivalent of poking a lion with a stick.

Not a clever thing to do.

But when the lion is on the other side of the ocean and the stick is 12.000 km long it is pretty clever.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
If con is the opposite of pro, what's the opposite of progress?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

If con is the opposite of pro, what's the opposite of progress?

Regression.

nuggets

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
sup nick.

How can they be terrorists if they're not Muslim.  Non-sequitur. 

Anyhoo, some random thoughts: 

It's an interesting commentary that they can totally screw with a foreign government but have been consistently made the fool by some silly cult. 
If true, it's almost certain that a few people will be hanged over this.  I guess as long they're not pretty white girls we shouldn't mind.
The front page of the Tehran Times says something to the effect of "heroic defense agents thwart cyber-attack by US intelligence services".

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
anonymous -- a couple of people doing stuff as a whole brigade of idiots refreshes a page and clings to the false feeling that they had anything to do with anything (while reveling in their freedom to be bigoted while claiming its all in fun).

I don't see anyone else taking a stand against Visa/Mastercard/Paypal's utter bullshit against Wikileaks.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings

I don't see anyone else taking a stand against Visa/Mastercard/Paypal's utter bullshit against Wikileaks.

What do you mean? I don't follow this stuff at all but I'm curious.