Author Topic: Website building/hosting question for the experts.  (Read 1060 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Website building/hosting question for the experts.
« on: June 03, 2011, 02:34:05 AM »
I've never done any website stuff before so i really don't know what i'm doing but i designed this website for my mom and her new business in Hype 1.0. It's done in HTML5 and it's very cool. The problem is i can't seem to figure out how to get what i did onto Weebly, which is what my mom is using. I tried making a new theme because i couldn't find anywhere to upload the files and such except for in a theme. I upload all the files and then it has two options, html and css. Hype exports and HTML so i copied the code and replaced weebly's default code but it always comes out blank. Then i tried importing a theme but apparently i don't have all the files needed for importing. I don't have a css file or an index.html. Any advice? Thanks

Offline tjanuranus

Re: Website building/hosting question for the experts.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 03:44:48 AM »
update...

So i created the files required. Used the html file that hype gave me and renamed it index.html and created the css file. Still blank! Thanks

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:00:02 AM »
Yeah. Use one or the other. Weebly looks like its doing alot of stuff in the backend so the user is as far from the code of the website as possible, so chances are they aren't going to let you use your own code, and theres likely a fair bit of php and such like in the background that will balls up if you try to shove your own code in there.

If Hype exports all the html and assets for you, then just get a basic host and ftp the files to your server. Else stick with weebly and put up with its limitations.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:01:37 AM »
Yeah. Use one or the other. Weebly looks like its doing alot of stuff in the backend so the user is as far from the code of the website as possible, so chances are they aren't going to let you use your own code, and theres likely a fair bit of php and such like in the background that will balls up if you try to shove your own code in there.

If Hype exports all the html and assets for you, then just get a basic host and ftp the files to your server. Else stick with weebly and put up with its limitations.

Any recommendations?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 04:12:50 AM »
Just use Notepad, pussy.

That's how real (nerdy) men write HTML.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 04:23:52 AM »
Just use Notepad, pussy.

That's how real (nerdy) men write HTML.

I've never written HTML. I'm a nub for sure. That's why i need the help!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 04:28:17 AM »
I was just winding you up :P

Also, I'm not sure about a host. I've never had to pay for one myself.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 04:47:41 AM »
I use an english one called 5quidhost. Honestly there are probably better people to ask about it though.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 04:51:03 AM »
my mom already paid for 2 years with weebly up front. i wonder if she cancels..... will they give her the unused months back? UGH.