Author Topic: Protest The Hero Appreciation/Discussion Thread  (Read 106570 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Protest The Hero Appreciation/Discussion Thread
« Reply #735 on: March 02, 2016, 12:43:01 AM »
yeah volition was at least exploring new directions but i wouldn't say any of them are that "out there" for pth, even if skies is easily their best track

i haven't actually listened to any of the new songs though bcuz it's physical release or bust for me, tbh

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #736 on: March 02, 2016, 07:41:13 AM »
I think the fifth song was different. The first four sound like Volition leftovers but the fifth one is at least unique.

So far, I've anjoyed the documentary more than the songs. Feels a bit like the last Foo Fighters album in that regard.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #737 on: March 02, 2016, 08:42:33 AM »
Was Cataract the fifth one? I really liked that song, I believe it it's also the first time Tim has a guitar solo on a PtH song and it's great, very melodic/not too technical.

EDIT: Nevermind, I meant Harbinger.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:51:11 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #738 on: March 02, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »
yeah volition was at least exploring new directions but i wouldn't say any of them are that "out there" for pth, even if skies is easily their best track

Not sure I agree there... Blindfolds Aside is still my favourite song of theirs, and Plato's Tripartite is my favourite from Volition.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #739 on: March 19, 2016, 12:39:45 PM »
So, the last song has been out for 4 days now, I thought maybe some more people would consider getting Pacific Myth now that all the tracks are out there.
Possible spoiler ahead about Caravan.

I really like this song, and most of the reasons have been named by the guys over at the band's reddit. The reprises to songs from other albums are pretty cryptic, and frankly, hoped them to be longer. But man, even though it's only like 2 seconds, I was really happy to hear Drumhead Trial and C'est la Vie back in this song.
Caravan is their longest song so far, but it really pays off. Vocally it's really groovy, instrumentally it starts out very technical but it becomes really melodic and epic near the end.

Wouldn't go as far as saying this EP has been really great, but it at least has some very redeeming moments. It's probably my least favorite PtH release, but I like all of them a fair amount. Caravan however, my favorite song off this EP, is slowly becoming a top 15-10 Protest song for me.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Victimlas

« Reply #740 on: March 31, 2016, 07:59:12 AM »
It's interesting to see all the different opinions on the new EP. My hubby is a long-time PTH fan, and he doesn't care much for it. I am a newer fan and loved it. I never got Protest until Volition, which I absolutely loved since it came out. Then I started going back in the discography, and loving every album. They've become one of my favorite bands period.
I think Tidal and Harbinger are two of their best songs yet.

I appreciate how they are always looking for innovative ways to stay ahead of the game. I liked the idea of the subscription and the documentary is top notch. Also the way they packaged each song with the artwork, lyrics, and tabs is totally awesome. I understand how a lot of people want the physical CD and I look forward to them releasing it that way too.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #741 on: March 31, 2016, 12:47:14 PM »
It's getting a very mixed reception, but I don't think anyone here has actively been commenting on Pacific Myth, probably because of the strange marketing approach. I wouldn't say it's an innovative way, yeah the documentary was awesome, but sometimes I was eagerly waiting for a new song, and then when it finally came, I started realizing "is this really what I'm waiting for EVERY month after having already paid for it?". It's creative for sure, but not in a good way IMO.

And now that it's all complete it doesn't even feel like fresh material anymore, since the first song has already been out like 6 months. I do really like PM though, don't get me wrong, not as much as the albums but still quite a bit. It''s just not the same as receiving a whole EP at once.

And as you can see, I really like the Cold Water artwork :laugh: Tidal is also pretty cool.

Offline Victimlas

« Reply #742 on: March 31, 2016, 05:53:06 PM »
It's getting a very mixed reception, but I don't think anyone here has actively been commenting on Pacific Myth, probably because of the strange marketing approach. I wouldn't say it's an innovative way, yeah the documentary was awesome, but sometimes I was eagerly waiting for a new song, and then when it finally came, I started realizing "is this really what I'm waiting for EVERY month after having already paid for it?". It's creative for sure, but not in a good way IMO.

And now that it's all complete it doesn't even feel like fresh material anymore, since the first song has already been out like 6 months. I do really like PM though, don't get me wrong, not as much as the albums but still quite a bit. It''s just not the same as receiving a whole EP at once.

And as you can see, I really like the Cold Water artwork :laugh: Tidal is also pretty cool.

Yes, Cold Water was my favorite artwork too!

I think with the EP, it's just looking at it from a different perspective. You can see it as you are waiting a whole month for a song (every month for 6 months), OR you are getting songs fresh of the presses. Instead of waiting 6 months for the EP to come out, we got songs as they were completed and mastered ;)  I thought that part was innovative. I'll admit I am biased PTH can do no wrong in my eyes right now.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: April 06, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »
guys caravan

guys

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #744 on: June 10, 2017, 08:52:22 AM »
I forgot about Pacific Myth until I saw it at FYE the other day.

I like this EP. The lyrics are great. Tidal, Cold Water, and Caravan are my faves.

Hopefully they'll tour here soon.

Here's the set-list from when I last saw them in 2013.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:19:02 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #745 on: January 10, 2018, 11:14:41 AM »
Did anyone listen to Mystery Weekend? They popped up on my Spotify discover playlist and I immediately knew it was PtH related. I'm giving the full album a spin now.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: July 22, 2018, 05:39:11 PM »
I was looking for info about PTH to know if they are into something, and last month, the released an statement that vocal sessions for the new album had to be postponed because Rody it’s favinf vocal issues, also their summer tour had to be canceled.

I love this band and it’s a shame if this vocal issues prevent them from finishing the new album or touring again.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #747 on: July 22, 2018, 10:20:25 PM »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: July 29, 2019, 08:37:01 PM »
UPDATE OF THE NEW RECORD

Oh, Hello There...

It has been a little over 6 months since our last update in February. So it needs to be said off the top - thanks for your patience! Believe it or not, a lot has happened since February.

Let's get right to it shall we?

Choady seems to be winning his quarrel with voice-burglars. After off-and-on months of recording what they could, the month of June presented Rody and our vocal producer (Cam) with a decision. Cam was leaving forever on tour with Daniel Caesar (Cam does front of house sound for DC). It sounded like Cam and Rody wouldn't be able to continue recording until 2020, when Cam would be available again. Obviously, another delay in recording was not something any of us were prepared to consider. Then, as if summoned from some heaven-like cloud-city where people are significantly more attractive than here on earth, our friend / producer Anthony K turned up to lend a hand. Actually, he simply left his house near Yorkdale Shopping Center and drove to Whitby where Choady had been recording.

Together, both Rody and Anthony agreed that it was time to say 'fuck it' and get this thing dusted. And so, that's exactly what they are doing. At it again full time, Rody has reported his voice feels better than he can remember. The rough mixes of these tracks are telling a similar story - he sounds great, confident, and a bit more pissed off than usual. It's awesome to hear it come together!

Cam and Anthony will continue to produce the vocals together. We also haven't forgotten about Dez (nor he about us) - as he is still providing crucial notes from his castle in Washington, and is set to be the master of puppeteers when it comes to the handling of mixes and delivery of the final album.

While all this vocal progress is being made, the rest of us are working with our friend and composer Milen to orchestrate additional instrumentation on each song. Our goal is to create our biggest sounding record yet, and that includes opening ourselves up to new instruments and arrangements. It really is some exciting new territory... (while at the same time, kind of familiar - as records like Fortress were peppered with crazy additional production).

We have hired an incredible artist to take the reigns on the record's artwork...and let's just say after seeing some initial sketches, they know what the fuck they are doing! As you may know, the artwork for our records has always been important to us. So, with this record, we made sure to share the lyrics for each song, and explained the concept clearly before then turning it over to the artist completely. It's very satisfying when an artist just 'gets it' so quickly and confidently.

All this positive news is still accompanied with some question marks... As of now, we aren't sure who will mix and master the record - but you will know when we do. We also don't have any confirmed release date either. But if we are speaking realistically, it's toward the very end of this year or the first few months of next.

This record has been our most trying. It has demanded our utmost patience and perseverance, but we are finally turning a corner. Feels like we have really had to fight for this one - and the struggle has really made us appreciate how lucky we are to still be in the position to make music. An immense thanks for your patience (if you are still with us!). The hardest part is in the rearview.

More updates soon.
-pth

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #750 on: July 30, 2019, 10:50:02 AM »
likely 2020, but that update sounds intriguing. Granted, there have been other Protest albums I was really excited for and they just ended up decent.

I'm not sure they will ever top Kezia for me. There was just something really special about that album and the approach they took with the blend of dynamics with the acoustic sections and male-to-female vocal lines that worked really well within the concept.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #751 on: September 08, 2019, 11:56:21 AM »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #753 on: November 06, 2019, 07:49:54 PM »
new album is done.

https://www.facebook.com/protestthehero/videos/1276449772538816/?v=1276449772538816

It feels glorious to report that tracking for LP5 has finally been completed where it all began - at Jukasa! This record has been an insane labour of love, spanning the last two years, but she's finally in the bag and off to mix.

We spent the last few days tracking live keys, quartet and acoustic geets live in this beautiful room. Thanks to all the players who gave us their time and incredible skill over the last 48 hours.

The video is just a tiny bit of what we worked on, but we are excited to show you what's next soon...

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #754 on: March 08, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »
bump.

something is coming soon

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9cwyuKHIgH/

protestthehero
PTH 2020. Got a real ripper for you folks, and we’re excited to share it. #lp5

"The Neverending LP"?
https://protestthehero.merchnow.com/products/v2/304146/the-neverending-lp-black

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #755 on: April 20, 2020, 07:28:15 AM »
Here's the first single from the upcoming record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-_62LT8A1Y

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #756 on: May 14, 2020, 11:15:45 AM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #757 on: May 14, 2020, 12:29:26 PM »
jesus CHRIST that's good

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #758 on: May 14, 2020, 12:57:36 PM »
Sounds great! Can't wait for the full album.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #759 on: June 18, 2020, 11:18:21 AM »
bump.

new album PALIMPSEST is out today (pushed up a day).

Thoughts? I don't have any yet, per I haven't had the chance to listen to it, but mean to in the next few days.

But maybe some others do?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #760 on: June 18, 2020, 11:59:22 AM »
bump.

new album PALIMPSEST is out today (pushed up a day).

Thoughts? I don't have any yet, per I haven't had the chance to listen to it, but mean to in the next few days.

But maybe some others do?
Listening now. So far nothing is jumping out at me as being particularly noteworthy, but I'm enjoying it. PTH albums take a few listens to fully digest since they're so all over the place at times. And I'm listening while trying to work, so it's not getting my full attention.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #761 on: June 22, 2020, 02:10:19 PM »
Love the new album, so many catchy hooks, a phenomenal vocal performance, and a good amount of variety. Not quite as good as Fortress for me, but it's up there.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #762 on: June 25, 2020, 11:28:15 PM »
I really like how they did the lyrics to Little Snake. Really enforces the message of that song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #763 on: June 26, 2020, 09:31:48 AM »
This album's such a massive grower. The hooks and melodies are epic and there's a lot of different textures to unwrap on the songs.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #764 on: June 26, 2020, 11:39:12 AM »
new album is good, although a little long and repetitive at points; but that's not different from their others.

It may be their best since Kezia though which is saying something.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #765 on: October 04, 2020, 07:13:12 PM »
This album is really good, and possibly there best.

Once tours can happen again, These songs along with the Pacific Myth songs are gonna be awesome live.

Favorites are Little Snakes, Soliloquy, Reverie, From The Sky

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: March 04, 2022, 08:52:09 AM »
Palimpsest instrumentals are now available on all streaming platforms!
Stream/Purchase now at https://linktr.ee/protestthehero